PDA

View Full Version : Give Will Gay his props today

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Credited with 3 Tackles, 1 INT, and 1 pass defense he made the difference today late in the game. The Bengals were putting a drive together and fortunately he was able to come up with the game winning INT. Perfect for him to get his 2nd pick of his career and first of 2011.

On the Timmons interception, Will Gay was the one that tipped the pass away and right into the hands of #94 who was waiting and able to come down with it, falling right into his hands. So essentially you can give Gay 1/2 credit for that one.

He had a rough go of it last weekend but overall he's stepped up his game this season and you can't enough about his resilient attitude and determination today especially.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Gay definitely came through today. I give him total props for execution in this game!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Tomlin downplayed the "bounce back" comment in the post game from Will Gay today. Stressing how hard he works in practice, the effort he puts in etc.

Make no mistake though, this was a bounceback game for Will Gay today and he came through. Credit Keenan Lewis as well today with 3 Tackles and playing much better than last week.

steelersbabex25
11-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Not surprised to hear that he had a good day. He had a good season and then one bad game. Didn't expect that one bad game to dictate how he would play for the rest of the season.

Diehardsteel
11-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Still disappointed with his performance last week but much props today. He showed up more than he normally does and made some plays. Keep it up willy.

coach
11-13-2011, 06:22 PM
He is what he is. We can all give him credit for a good regular season game. Unfortunately, he is a liabilty in the post season, and our secondary needs to be upgraded in general.

I think the secondary played better than expected at times over the last 3 games as the front 7 hasn't been healthy enough to bring pressure. But, the team needs to upgrade if they want to be successful in playoffs.

steelersbabex25
11-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Complaining about our secondary = :rolleyes:

The Baltimore game was the first and only game so far this season that they've showed any flaws.

SteelCurtain68
11-13-2011, 06:26 PM
They worked on him alot today after what happened last week. Good job by him

Stairwayto7
11-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Yeah I thought he played well, and has most of the year. Even the passes underneath him today the best corners cant cover. Its ashame that he didnt play as well last week, but I know the last TD wasnt just his fault. RC was of of position

jpele
11-13-2011, 07:12 PM
William "save the day" Gay.

Zachintosh66
11-13-2011, 07:34 PM
i give him little credit... he still owes us too many, his plus/minus is still a lot of minus, lol

SnakeEyes43
11-13-2011, 07:39 PM
I turned to my dad after the int and as weird as it felt to say, I said "Willie Gay just won us the game!" First time that's ever come out of my mouth, or any Steelers fan's mouth, lol.

And I give props to you Willie, but if you truly want to redeem yourself, play lights out against the Ratbirds in January.

LarryNJ
11-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Way to go Willie!

Real Deal Steel
11-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Gay had a good game today. But he's still a turd that I don't want to see on this team next year.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Would have been nice last week during that game winning drive if our Hall of Fame DC Dick LeBeau would have switched from man back to zone during that drive.......LeBeau left Gay hung out to dry really on that drive......Smith clearly had the speed to beat man and zone would have been the better scheme........

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2011, 10:09 AM
http://sportstalk.triblive.com/sites/default/files/files/blogimages/williamgay.jpg

To borrow one of Mike Tomlin’s favorite quotes, this is not William Gay's first rodeo. The Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback has played significant minutes for the team’s defense since Tomlin and Gay both joined the franchise in 2007.

But there have been several games in years past where Tomlin would welcome Gay back into the team locker-room after a game with barbs of “Medium-Play Willie Gay.”
As William came off the field Sunday in Cincinnati, there were no barbs. Just a silent yet emphatic man-hug from the head-man. And that display spoke louder than any Tomlin quote could. William Gay is capable of the ‘Big Play,’ and he showed it with his on-field displays, getting his hands on both of his squad’s 4th-quarter takeaways in a 24-17 victory over the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium.

As teammate Larry Foote described it, “We just had to make the play. Will Gay made two great plays on the interceptions, one he tipped to Lawrence and one he caught. Perfect timing. And that’s been the difference maker the season is we gotta make them turnovers. Today we did.”

The first ‘Big Gay Play’ came with 12 minutes and change left in a seven point ballgame, with Cincinnati starting a drive at their 47-yard line poised to regain momentum. The paw of Gay batted a ball intended for Cincinnati’s Andre Caldwell into the sliding arms of Steelers’ linebacker Lawrence Timmons.

And the second ‘Big Gay Play’ bailed out a scuffling Pittsburgh offense that had failed to stick the dagger in the Bengals on two occasions. Gay took matters into his own hands by jumping a Jerome Simpson post-route on a 2nd-and-9 from the Steelers’ 25-yard line, with the Bengals poised to send the game into a late-game deadlock.

For a Pittsburgh defense that had an NFL-record low four takeaways through the year’s first nine games, it was a season defining moment as the squad heads into the bye week.
And for Gay, who has re-established himself as the team’s starting corner a year after being shifted to primarily a ‘nickleback’ role, it was his first interception since 2008 and just the second of his NFL career.

The ‘Big Gay Plays’ also came just a week after the PIttsburgh defense allowed another AFC North opponent to drive and win the contest, with Joe Flacco moving his Baltimore Ravens’ team 92-yards in 2:16 for a 23-20 Baltimore victory. On the drive, Gay allowed two critical grabs including a 4th-and-1 conversion by Anquan Boldin.

However, Gay didn’t want to discuss redemption, nor did he want to sing his own praises. In fact, below is the transcript of Gay’s conversation with the media in the aftermath of the Pittsburgh win over Cincinnati. Perhaps it’s the recent sting of harsh criticism that kept him tight-lipped, or perhaps it’s the realization that the season is far from over and criticism may yet come again. But William Gay was all about business during and after the game Sunday. For the team and their fans, all that matters is that things got back to a winning business.

On his final interception:
“If you go watch film, we just all around played some great football today.”
On the defense getting two takeaways:
“That’s playing football.”
On putting the Baltimore loss behind them:
“You got to. We’ve got to put this win behind us. Move on to the bye week, get some rest. And then come back and watch some film on Kansas City.”
Is this redemption from last week?
“We just wanted to get a ‘W.” That’s all we wanted to do.”
How much momentum does this game give you?
“It just gives us a 7-3 record.”

On Cincinnati:
“Shoot, we’ve got to see them again in a couple weeks. We just gotta buckle down, keep pressing on, keeping listening to coach Lebeau, and just come to play some football every Sunday.”
How do you feel about the last drive today compared to last week?
“We’re 7-3, man, I’m happy about that.”
Your teammates said you took the blame unneccesarily last week. Did you?
“I mean, we lost. We won this week. It’s time to move on from this game, go into the bye week and get ready for Kansas City.”
What changed when A.J. Green left the game?
“Nothing at all.”
What did you think of his TD?
“Good play by him, that’s the bottom line. He gets paid too.”
Were they attacking you with the Andre Caldwell matchup?
“It’s football, man. You can’t care what happens on the offensive side you’ve just got to control what you can control.”
What were you looking at on that last interception?
“We played some good defense. That’s all, bottom line. I just played Dick Lebeau defense, everybody across the board did and we came out with the ‘W.’”

On getting his hand on both interceptions:
“That’s some good football being played out there.”

[I]From Ken Laird, TribLive Radio

LatrobePA
11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
His INT was nice and is just what this team needed to close the game out..

Now if he can keep doing it let's talk in Jan...

HUNT4SEVEN
11-14-2011, 12:44 PM
He earned his props, great job Gay:tt02::tt02:

FastWillie39
11-14-2011, 06:54 PM
yes, he did have a huge interception, but until he proves to at least be "decent" I will never accept him. I am by no means a hater or biased fan, and I like to think of myself as fairly knowledgeable when it comes to football, and over his career I have never screamed at the television more over one particular athlete than William Gay. Every play it seems he is 3-4 yards off his defender and simply just gets picked on. DRAFT A CORNER

uclkyle
11-15-2011, 02:18 AM
He's actually had a nice season. He's a great dancer too.

Blazedby92
11-15-2011, 02:19 AM
One mediocre game doesn't erase how poor the man has played for a few years now.

TampaSteelGirl
11-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Well he has had a better season than last year....so'll give him a big ole :clap: for sundays game because that was BIG!!!