PDA

View Full Version : Current Steelers offensive line will remain as such

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Bruce Arians mentioned recently that the current starting 5 on the offensive line will remain the starters for the rest of the way. Obviously this is contingent upon any more injuries that may, but hopefully won't, happen.

Starks
Kemoeatu
Pouncey
Foster
Gilbert

Starks is a no brainer. He stays at LT and in my opinion there's no way you even consider not bringing him back in 2012. Draft a new LT for the future if you want but Starks has proven he's the glue that holds that unit together for the time being.

Kemoeatu is one of the better pulling Guards in the league and is adequate in run blocking. If he just keeps the bonehead personal fouls down and his knee holds up he'll be fine.

Pouncey started out having a rough go of it the first few weeks of the season. He's since picked up his game and is starting to play like he did last year. That nagging ankle injury will be something we'll have to keep watching but he's a staple and the center piece of the future.

Foster should have never lost his job at Right Guard to begin with. I don't know who's Cheerios he pissed in during camp and preseason but it should have been evident from the get go that he was the man. Chris Scott was terrible and Legursky is much better on the left side than the right. Ramon had an up and down preseason but considering all the guys coming in and out of the lineup from injuries and what not, he wasn't that bad.

Gilbert is the future at Right Tackle. He's getting better every week and is showing why he was worthy of a high draft pick this past offseason. He's still going to have some growing pains but all this experience is going to serve him well in the future. You have to take the good and bad with rookies but his good is starting to outweigh the bad more and more each week.

For the rest of this season depth is going to continue to be a concern. With Legursky getting back into action and Scott doing an adequate job at RT when needed, they do have some flexibility but it's nothing you'd want to bank on for the future. If Colbert doesn't draft atleast 2 offensive lineman in the 2012 offseason they are setting themselves up for yet another repeat of years past when injuries happen.

I like the makeup of this group and if they can stay together we might finally have a line that is truly a solid group from top to bottom.

steelersbabex25
11-10-2011, 08:30 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

LatrobePA
11-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I like...

Zachintosh66
11-10-2011, 09:52 PM
wish they could run block more consistently (or even at all in some cases, lol). their pass blocking has improved drastically but still needs improving, lets be real here.

will prolly improve more through the year as they play together more and more... as long as we stay healthy!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-11-2011, 08:59 AM
I agree the run blocking needs to improve, and another reason why I think Redman's style is better for this group than Mendenhall's is. we've been down that road before though in discussions about who should be the starter.

If these guys can stay together and the depth can get healthy then I really like the potential of this group. Plus they are all under contract for atleast the new couple of years, other than Starks who will hopefully be brought back.

Remember too, Willie Colon will be in the mix in 2012.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-11-2011, 12:22 PM
I hope Willie Colon is cut......He is going down the Aaron Smith road of being hurt for the season every year....Plus Colon sucks......

You can win with this current five starting.....Pouncey has the potential to be one of the best at his position in the last 20 years......Starks is a solid LT and Gilbert is a young promising OT who could swing over to LT down the road......Foster isn't pretty but he blocks his man.....Kemoeatu is one dumb player and I would still consider an upgrade at his position....The good thing the Steelers don't have to spend a first round pick on the OL unless a top OT or OG falls to them in the first.....The Steelers still should use an early pick on the OL within the first three rounds.....

HUNT4SEVEN
11-11-2011, 12:26 PM
It needs to stay this way,they will only get better if they stay healthy:crossfingers: I was refreshingly lol impress with the way they pass blocked against the Rats,Ben sacks were because he held the ball to long:yesnod: plus the run blocking will improve as they continue to gel together and learn each others tendencies :tt02:

SnakeEyes43
11-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Pouncey and Starks are the big dogs. Gilbert is coming along too; love that kid. Kemo is solid but a bonehead at times and Foster is pretty solid as well. This is a pretty good line considering how we started the year.

Goodfrom55
11-11-2011, 03:29 PM
With the early success and promise Gilbert has shown, there is no way in hell Colon keeps his contract, let alone is not fully released next season. Hoping they will re-up Starks for a few more years and keep the line in tact.

K Train
11-11-2011, 04:26 PM
hands down the best lineup they could put together without colon...thats a beautiful thing

K Train
11-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I hope Willie Colon is cut......He is going down the Aaron Smith road of being hurt for the season every year....Plus Colon sucks......

You can win with this current five starting.....Pouncey has the potential to be one of the best at his position in the last 20 years......Starks is a solid LT and Gilbert is a young promising OT who could swing over to LT down the road......Foster isn't pretty but he blocks his man.....Kemoeatu is one dumb player and I would still consider an upgrade at his position....The good thing the Steelers don't have to spend a first round pick on the OL unless a top OT or OG falls to them in the first.....The Steelers still should use an early pick on the OL within the first three rounds.....

aside from the last 2 years hes been durable, and he doesnt suck

Starks is ok short term, gilbert is lovely long term, and pouncey is the truth.

guard...meh...need one stud there, dont care which side really, actually would prefer RG i think, makes gilberts job easier

Black@Gold Forever32
11-11-2011, 05:33 PM
aside from the last 2 years hes been durable, and he doesnt suck

Starks is ok short term, gilbert is lovely long term, and pouncey is the truth.

guard...meh...need one stud there, dont care which side really, actually would prefer RG i think, makes gilberts job easier

But I have been more impressed with Gilbert then I ever was with Willie Colon......Sure Colon was durable before these last two years but he is starting to become injury prone and is average at best.......Back to back season ending injuries......If Colon isn't cut then he should redo his contract to remain with the team....Would you agree with that?

The Steelers have two young blue chip OL in my book with Pouncey and Gilbert....Starks is fine at LT and should be resigned....Gilbert can swing over to LT down the road......I hate Kemoeatu just as much as Colon so I wouldn't mind to see an upgrade over Kemo......Foster isn't pretty but he blocks his man...thought he did a solid job on Ngata Sunday night......

The Steelers don't have to spend a first round pick on the OL unless a top OT or OG falls to them.....David Decstro would be nice or somebody like that......But clearly BAP is the best way to and the Steelers should be in position to go that route once again.....

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2011, 09:59 AM
I haven't been this happy with an offensive line setup in I don't know how long. I'm crossing my fingers that they stay healthy.

I like Foster at RG for this team, a monster run blocker and a guy who seems to work well with Pouncey. If he stays there for the next few years he could turn out to be a gem. Plus both he and Gilbert can start to develop some continuity for the long term.