PDA

View Full Version : AMERICA'S GAME

BlitzburghNation
01-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Been trying to catch some of the nfl channel's greatest superbowl team's
countdown and I believe we are going to be #1 :greengrin:
A few years back they had simulated superbowl match-up's and in the final two it was us against the 49ers and they had us beating the niners:tt02:
So back then we was declared as the best superbowl team EVER:helmet:
I also heard comments by x players on sirius saying that the 70' steelers
were the best team ever assembled:hail: :tt02: :clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Ive been been watching most of these so far. NFLN has outdone itself with this series, it definately captures the essence of what the players and coaches felt like going through the experience.

I believe the 70's Steelers will all be in the top 10, atleast they should be.

AZ_Steeler
01-17-2007, 11:10 AM
They had something like this on ESPN and the Steelers were number in that series.

BBG7
01-17-2007, 11:26 AM
I have the DVD from that simulated best SB team. Everyone knows that the Steelers of the 70s were the best dynasty ever!!! Nothing will ever change there!

BlitzburghNation
01-17-2007, 11:31 AM
[ Can we expect anything LESS coming from the best Owner,Organization
and Best Players ever assembled :clap:
I remember reading signs over the years,,,,,Avoid Lloyd,,,,,Welcome to the house of pain----STEEL CURTIAN,,,,,,,,,,,ETC !:tt02:
You guys remember the hit Lloyd put on farve in a preseason game ?
He knocked him back about 5 yards and he also got fined,it was one of the best hit's i ever seen :helmet: :tt02: :helmet:

Ambridge
01-17-2007, 08:29 PM
America's Game countdown is at #13 this week-86 New York Giants

The teams in the countdown so far:
#14-The 91 Redskins
#15-The 71 Cowboys
#16-The 96 Packers
#17-The 94 49ers
#18-The 69 Chiefs
#19-The 99 Rams
#20-The 83 Raiders

Supposedly the 72 Dolphins have been alledged to be the #1 Greatest Superbowl Team since they went undefeated.

TampaSteelGirl
01-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I have the DVD from that simulated best SB team. Everyone knows that the Steelers of the 70s were the best dynasty ever!!! Nothing will ever change there!

Amen sister!! :tt02:

House of Steel
01-17-2007, 08:34 PM
72 Dolphins my ***, they didn't duplicate a double deuce of back to back Super Bowl Championships. 70s Steelers would destroy the 72 Dolphins.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2007, 08:36 PM
I can see them picking the 72 dolphins simply for that reason but I surely don't agree with it. Virtually any of the 70's Steelers teams would be a logical choice.

House of Steel
01-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Dude the 72 Dolphins won't even come close to the 70's Steelers. They would get mauled and tortured like you wouldn't believe. Harris would run wild on that defense and Bradshaw would pick that secondary apart.

SteelerFan87
01-17-2007, 08:49 PM
That's a great series, although the past couple teams have sucked. The 91 Redskins were boring and the 71 Cowboys were messed up, with Landry not being able to pick a QB and that Duane Thomas guy who wouldn't talk to his teammates.

But the rest have been great. 99 Rams, 69 Chiefs, 94 49ers, and 96 Packers were great shows. I loved the part where Brett Favre and 2 other guys from the Packers went trick or treating to Mike Holmgren's house. That was hilarious.

DIESELMAN
01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
The 70's Steelers were the best champions ever assembled. *** kickin D and smashmouth running game, we even became high flyin in the late 70's.

BBG7
01-18-2007, 08:15 AM
They shouldn't pick the '72 Dolphins just because they were undefeated. They did beat us in the AFC Championship game but barely only won 14-7 in the SB. Everyone knows the accompllishments the Steelers had in the 70s mean a lot more (back to back SB victories x 2)

Ambridge
01-29-2007, 07:07 AM
I had to bring this thread back to the beginning because the series will be ending later this week before the Superbowl and there has been some really bad and surprising teams in the mix.

I find it amusing that NO STEELERS SUPERBOWL TEAM has made it yet and the "Official Countdown" is at #8 The 84 Fourty Niners.

They have previewed the '75 Steelers as being the #7 team but there have already been two Raider teams/two Cowboy teams and two Fourty Niner teams in the top twenty and this whole Americas Game will be a "Sham" if at least two more Steeler Superbowl Teams don't reach the finals.

#10 76 Raiders
#9 04 Patriots
#8 84 Fourty Niners
#7 75 Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 09:08 AM
2 Steeler teams on here ?? There should be atleast 3 if not all of them ! There's several spots left so we better see atleast 1 if not 2 more Steeler teams in the top. I didn't expect to see the Steelers in the high numbers but once we got to 10 I certainly expected to start seeing atleast couple of those famous teams.

SteelerFan87
01-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Hell, even the Pats have at least 2 teams (04 and, from the commercials, 01) so there better be at least 3 Steelers teams. Perhaps #7, #4, and #2?

Friday133
01-29-2007, 03:08 PM
I think the XL team is going to be in the top 10. Not sure why, but from the preivews I would say they are going to be listed.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 03:24 PM
The top 4 should be us, plain and simple ! :hail: to the Football gods !

Ambridge
01-29-2007, 03:42 PM
I think the XL team is going to be in the top 10. Not sure why, but from the preivews I would say they are going to be listed.

I think you're right.
They show a video clip of Bill Cowher during the intro to the show and he's on the verge of tears describing how one of his daughters was telling him on the stage right after the Superbowl that he/The Steelers are Champions.

Any if not all of the 5 Steeler Superbowl teams should be on the list.

The 97 Packers, 98 Broncos and the 99 Rams are just three examples of teams who have no business being in the top 20

House of Steel
01-29-2007, 07:15 PM
We should round out the last 5 spots. I say either the 1979 Steelers or 1974 Steelers are the top team on the list.

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey, what about the Buffalo Bills from 1991 to 1994? Where are they?? :nahnah:

TEEMONT
01-29-2007, 07:58 PM
I bet one of the Cowboys teams that whooped the Bills gets #1.

Ambridge
01-29-2007, 08:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9961901
NFL Network unveils America's Game final four.

(Jan. 29, 2007) -- Two years of production, 123 player/coach interviews and endless speculation comes down to four teams: 1989 San Francisco 49ers, 1985 Chicago Bears, 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers and 1972 Miami Dolphins.

Which of these teams is the greatest Super Bowl champion of all time? Following are the top four teams (in reverse chronological order) as chosen by a 53-person Blue Ribbon Panel of experts for America's Game :

1989 San Francisco 49ers: Narrated by Gene Hackman
(17-2 record; defeated Broncos 55-10 in Super Bowl XXIV)

1985 Chicago Bears: Narrated by Alec Baldwin
(18-1 record; defeated Patriots 46-10 in Super Bowl XX)

1978 Pittsburgh Steelers: Narrated by Bruce Willis
(17-2 record; defeated Cowboys 35-31 in Super Bowl XIII)

1972 Miami Dolphins: Narrated by Alec Baldwin
(17-0 record; defeated Redskins 14-7 in Super Bowl VII)

This Friday and Saturday, Feb. 2 and 3, NFL Network reveals the order of the America's Game final four. Following is the air schedule:

Show No. 4
Friday, Feb. 2 at 8 p.m. ET (NFL Network)

Show No. 3
Friday, Feb. 2 at 9 p.m. ET (NFL Network)

Show No. 2
Saturday, Feb. 3 at 2 p.m. ET (CBS)
(Re-airs on NFL Network Monday, Feb. 5 at 8 p.m. ET)

Show No. 1
Saturday, Feb. 3 at 3 p.m. ET (CBS)
(Re-airs on NFL Network Monday, Feb. 5 at 9 p.m. ET)

Following is a list of the previous shows in the top 20:

No. 20: 1983 Los Angeles Raiders
No. 19: 1999 St. Louis Rams
No. 18: 1969 Kansas City Chiefs
No. 17: 1994 San Francisco 49ers
No. 16: 1996 Green Bay Packers
No. 15: 1971 Dallas Cowboys
No. 14: 1991 Washington Redskins
No. 13: 1986 New York Giants
No. 12: 1998 Denver Broncos
No. 11: 1977 Dallas Cowboys
No. 10: 1976 Oakland Raiders
No. 9: 2004 New England Patriots
No. 8: 1984 San Francisco 49ers
No. 7: 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers
No. 6: 1966 Green Bay Packers (Airs Tues., Jan. 30 at 8:30 p.m. ET)
No. 5: 1992 Dallas Cowboys: (Airs Wed., Jan. 31 at 8:30 p.m. ET)

From dynasties to one-shot wonders, from the undefeated to the unexpected, America's Game tells the stories behind the story of all 40 Super Bowl champions. Each episode is a 60-minute documentary (available in high definition) featuring key members of the winning team telling behind-the-scenes accounts from their championship season. With classic NFL Films action combined with news clips and photos, highlights from team radio broadcasts, footage from inside team meeting rooms, sideline audio and other exclusive features, America's Game will provide an epic and intimate portrait of 40 distinct championship teams, in one groundbreaking series.

America's Game is sponsored on NFL Network and nfl.com by IBM, an official partner of the NFL and the Super Bowl.

That's just total Bullshit. In the end there's three Niner teams and three Cowboy teams.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 08:26 PM
No **** right ! only 2 of our 5 SB's made it here ! WTF ! :cursin:

BlackGold4vr
01-29-2007, 09:20 PM
This was a contest decided by the fans! If you didn't vote you shouldn't be complaining. There was even a thread with the link to the voting site right here in SA. Why does Yao Ming get the most votes in the NBA All Star game every year? Because there are a billion Chinese people voting for him! If the Black & Gold don't win its our fault (not SA members) Steeler Nation! I know Pittsburgh is a small market team however I believe Steeler Nation is the largest fanbase in the NFL!

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Ambridge
01-29-2007, 09:59 PM
This was a contest decided by the fans! If you didn't vote you shouldn't be complaining. There was even a thread with the link to the voting site right here in SA. Why does Yao Ming get the most votes in the NBA All Star game every year? Because there are a billion Chinese people voting for him! If the Black & Gold don't win its our fault (not SA members) Steeler Nation! I know Pittsburgh is a small market team however I believe Steeler Nation is the largest fanbase in the NFL!

There was a separate fan poll but the actual winners of the America's Game Greatest Superbowl Team was determined by a 53 Person Blue Ribbon Panel of Hall of Fame players and coaches, general managers, football writers and TV analysts.
If you go to America's Game on NFL.com they show the entire panel of voters.
Bill Cowher and Dick LeBeau are on the panel.

BlackGold4vr
01-29-2007, 11:48 PM
There was a separate fan poll but the actual winners of the America's Game Greatest Superbowl Team was determined by a 53 Person Blue Ribbon Panel of Hall of Fame players and coaches, general managers, football writers and TV analysts.
If you go to America's Game on NFL.com they show the entire panel of voters.
Bill Cowher and Dick LeBeau are on the panel.

Didn't know about the Blue Ribbon Panel. The problem when you compare old teams with new, their will always be a bias towards the more recent. Some of the younger people (like Koopa) never saw the older teams! History has a way of repeating itself! Someday 40 years from now all the sports icons that Koopa thinks were the best ever (that he watched play) will be mocked by his grandchildren. He will reminisce about watching Michael Jordan play or Lebron James and insist that they were the best ever! His memories will fall on deaf ears. Just as some younger baseball fans believe Babe Ruth couldn't compete with the likes of Barry Bonds! Babe Ruth never juiced, yet in all of the oldest ballparks that are left the markers for the longest hit baseballs in those parks still belong to Ruth! Bonds played in the Steroids era where 3 people passed up the Roger Maris record that had stood for 60 years in the same year. Funny how all 3 involved in that race are mired in the steroid controversy! No matter what era you played in its not easy to dominate your sport unless you were something special! Thats exactly what our Steelers of the 70's were....something special! I have sympathy for those of you who didn't get to watch that dynasty team forge the legendary history that our city still talks about in some of those epic battles! I watched as a young boy and I will remember to my grave. 4 Superbowls in 6 years. That feat may never be matched again!

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 11:51 PM

I voted so I have every right to bitch. There's no reason atleast 3 of our 5 SB teams shouldnt be in this whole thing. :tt02:

Ambridge
01-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Right before the series started they had a preview show about America's Game and they did some interviews with a few of the members on the panel and there was one idiot sportswriter whose name I don't remember that said he didn't have none of the Superbowl Steeler Teams in his Top Twenty Picks.

I remember sitting there and thinking that this guy is a real jerk-off who possibly has an axe to grind against the Steelers and has no business being on this panel.
I'm claiming BS on some of the members of this panel and the way these rankings ended up.

OneSteelSoldier
01-31-2007, 08:00 PM
I thought it was hilarious hearing Mike Wagner say:

"There were games that my whole body would only touch the ground maybe 3 times during a game, I started getting jealous of the Defensive lineman and linebackers making all the tackles." LOL

SteelerFan87
01-31-2007, 08:40 PM
WTF, the commercials showed Bill Cowher talking about SB XL! How do they have that in the commercial but not have the team in the series?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2007, 08:58 PM
That still gives me chills when you see Cowher in the commercials talking about when Lauren came up to him and said " Daddy, we're world champions" !!!

BB2W
01-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Did anyone else notice that they changed the title of the "Editorial" under the Superbowl XL Champion Steelers from "Hearts of Steal" to "Hearts of Steel"?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2007, 10:57 PM
I didn't even notice, wow that was a big OOPS !

BB2W
01-31-2007, 11:12 PM
I didn't even notice, wow that was a big OOPS !I beleive the original article titled "Hearts of Steel" by Michael Silver was in the Steelers Superbowl XL Champions special edition. When I first checked out the AG website it read "Hearts of Steal"...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... My "The refs gave you the Superbowl" turrets might be acting up.

BBG7
02-01-2007, 09:20 AM
wow...I never even noticed that. That's pretty interesting.

kgreen
02-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Hahaha yeah Wagner. Then you have Dwight White's explination of OJ Simpsons 200 plus yards against them: "Yeah, well you know s*** happens." lol that was funny. I hope the 78 Steelers get #1. They deserve it better than the 72 Dolphins or the San Fransissyco 40Winers.

kgreen
02-02-2007, 06:30 PM
GOD! We are not #1! We're #3 WTF!!!!!!!! Who now? Da 85 Bears or the 72 Dolphins. Personally I think the 78 Steelers could beat any of the other 36 champions (I'm including the 05 Steelers but excluding 74, 75, and 79) because they were so complete on on sides of the ball. The defense was amazing. The offense was electric. I don't know how you can't call them the best. This team also gets bonus points for betting up the Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII ( the best Super Bowl in my opinion).

Friday133
02-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Who cares what rank we are? It was a very entertaining show, I'm glad they decided to cover the two Steelers teams. Does anyone know if Bruce Willis is a Steelers fan?

OneSteelSoldier
02-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Who cares what rank we are? It was a very entertaining show, I'm glad they decided to cover the two Steelers teams. Does anyone know if Bruce Willis is a Steelers fan?I agree!! I'm enjoying all of them, so far. I do believe that this is the very best series of shows that NFL Films has ever put together. As far as the number one team goes, I couldn't care less. The Steelers are my team, and they will always be number one!!!:tt02:

OneSteelSoldier
02-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Hahaha yeah Wagner. Then you have Dwight White's explination of OJ Simpsons 200 plus yards against them: "Yeah, well you know s*** happens." lol that was funny. I hope the 78 Steelers get #1. They deserve it better than the 72 Dolphins or the San Fransissyco 40Winers.I forgot about Dwights comment, that was hilarious. :lol:

Ambridge
02-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Just a heads up!! At the end of AG-Superbowl XIII there's a quick interview with Chuck Noll and for a split second they show a very young curly haired reporter wearing glasses and having some crooked teeth.....it was
Stan Savran.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 06:10 AM
Thank goodness for DVR, I can't wait to see this !

OneSteelSoldier
02-03-2007, 06:02 PM
My favorite in the series, so far, is the "75" steelers. :helmet:

SteelerFan87
02-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Being as I wasn't born yet when the Steelers had their dynasty in the 70s, I really enjoyed this episode. I mean, I knew we were great back then, but I didn't realize how ridiculously dominant we were. My favorite part was when they were talking about how they added the no contact after 5 yards rule to stop the Steelers (and specifically Mel Blount), and we just got better. Silly Pats thinking the rule was meant to stop them.