PDA

View Full Version : Steelers/Ravens rivalry or Steelers/Raiders?

Jack Lambert
11-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I truly get up for the Raven, Steeler games but looking back I still think the Raider Steeler games were much more physical would you guys agree

Deviouz1
11-09-2011, 08:08 PM
I truly get up for the Raven, Steeler games but looking back I still think the Raider Steeler games were much more physical would you guys agree

if they were its only because of the rule differences. i mean blount had a rule named after him because of his physical style of cornering. the game just isnt the same game anymore. as it stands the ravens v steeler games are as physical as you youll find in the modern nfl.

Jack Lambert
11-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Goodell would of had a fine fest during those games, I often go to you tube just to watch some of them games

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Even though the 70s were a different era in football and the Steelers vs Raiders was certainly as violent as it gets; I would say Steelers vs Ravens is pretty close.

As early as just a couple years ago the hits that we've seen being dished out by Harrison, Woodley, Ward, Clark, Polamalu, Farrior, Suggs, Reed, Lewis, are about as good as it gets. Today those hits would be flagged, fined, and probably get you suspended. How far we have fallen in just 2 short years in disturbing and disappointing.

I would say that the Steelers of the 70's era would be proud to have their modern day counterparts fight it out with a physcial rivalry similar to what they did.

SteelDad
11-10-2011, 09:08 AM
There's no question that these rivalries have some amazing similarities and as was pointed out, the rules now make things a little different, but the intensity is the same. I would lean to the current rivalry only because we play each other twice a season.

LarryNJ
11-10-2011, 10:13 AM
The Raider games were much more physical for sure. They hated each other on and off the field. You wouldn't see Joe Greene shaking hands with any Raider after the game.

Until the Ravens beat us in a playoff game I'd rank the Raiders a better rivalry. But like dad mentioned you got to give a couple extra points for the Ravens simply because we play them more often.

Nolrog
11-10-2011, 10:37 AM

Yes. Because they didn't play the namby pamby pu**y ball that Goodell has instituted now. You could hit someone, hit them hard and then hit them again. Now, you can't even tackle someone without getting a flag if you're a Steeler player (same rules don't apply to other teams.)

ejsteeler
11-10-2011, 10:56 AM
I agree with SteelDad, the ratbird rivalry only becaue it is a consistent twice a year match-up. Can't take away from those raiders games though, some amazing hit were dished out and it was always all out.

SnakeEyes43
11-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Obviously, being 24, I never got to see the brutal Steeler games of the 70's live. I've seen my fair share of highlights from the era, but imo nothing today compares to the physical mentality and awesome brutality that was once the National Football League.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Imagine if the Steelers and Ravens were playing each other back in the 70's. Oh wait they were, the Cleveland Browns!! LOL.

Seriously though, the way football was in the 70's and the way the Steelers players and Ravens players are now, if they were able to really play the way they wanted too it would be an ugly affair. Even more so than it is now.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Those old Steeler vs Raiders games were Classic!!! even the Steeler vs Browns game were classic games these rivalries today do not match up with the 70's rivalries...

Dean Denton
11-11-2011, 04:18 AM
I like the Steelers-Raiders much better. Back then they were the two best teams, not just in the AFC, but in the NFL. Steelers can kinda of say that now, at times, but the Patriots and the Colts have really stolen the spot light because of their QB's. Raven's, they really have just been a good team, not great. Dont think they live up to the hype the Raiders brought to the match ups back in the day. And if the Raiders and the Steelers ever share the spot light at the top again it will be bigger than anything the NFL has seen in 30 years.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Many times back in the 70's were against the best teams in the league at the time. Steelers/Cowboys/Raiders were always big games and considering how many super bowls and playoffs games those teams played in during the 70's it added that much more to storyline.

I miss seeing those types of games where both teams are the best of the best, and they hate each other too.

Zachintosh66
11-12-2011, 05:14 PM
im not that old to know, lol

Black@Gold Forever32
11-12-2011, 05:41 PM
You know the Steelers/Raiders rivalry was something special when most of those old Raiders (George Atkinson) constantly whine today about their losses to the Steelers...lol Atkinson is famous for calling Swann soft....lol Dude needs to shut up already....lol

MattyVfromCT
11-12-2011, 07:37 PM
You know the Steelers/Raiders rivalry was something special when most of those old Raiders (George Atkinson) constantly whine today about their losses to the Steelers...lol Atkinson is famous for calling Swann soft....lol Dude needs to shut up already....lol

cosigned. and the best part is seeing interviews with atkinson, villapiano, etc saying WE made excuses whenever we lost to them, mainly the 76 championship game, yet all those clowns from al davis to madden to their players cried and made every excuse in the book for all their losses to us. immaculate reception "oh the ball hit the ground, fuqua touched the ball first, there was an illegal block, etc", 75 afc championship game "they illegally froze the field to slow down cliff branch, etc". crybabies and hypocrites. i got a bunch of those steelers/raiders games from that era on dvd. as much as i love the ratbirds rivalry it doesnt compare. partially because of the rules back then allowed for more violent hits but a lot of it was the fact they hated each other on AND off the field. george atkinson sued noll for libel for christ sake lol. you didnt see any of the 70's steeler or raiders hugging and cracking jokes before and after the games like you see ben and ray ray, etc do. that was real hate

CoachC
11-12-2011, 09:07 PM
As someone who is born, raised, and live in Baltimore, I hate the Ravens more than anything anyone can imagine. That being said, I didn't see the Raiders/Steelers games of the 70's (Born in '83)...

I love the hatred that we have with the Ravens, but can truly appreciate the historical importance of the Raiders rivalry! I love watching those old games when they are re-aired!

Scorp
11-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Going with Steelers/Raiders. They were never afraid of taking eachother's head off, an intense rivalry, many memorable hits/games. The game back then was far much better than it is now. They were 2 of the most violent teams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MJyn_Y8zSU