PDA

View Full Version : The margin of error for the Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2011, 09:11 AM
At 6-3, the Steelers are hardly out of the playoff race even after losing again to an AFC North opponent.

Normally in the AFC you figure that 10-6 would be enough to get you a 5th or 6th seed in the playoffs. Right now in the AFC, heading into week 10, there are 4 teams with 6 wins, 3 teams with 5 wins, and then there's the AFC West where everyone except the Broncos is 4-4. Denver being 3-5.

As we head into the 2nd half of the season, past experience tells you that some teams will start to fade off, injuries will happen, and other teams will really get on a roll. This is the time when the Steelers need to begin getting on a hot streak, head into the bye at 7-3 and then continue those wins to finish out the last month and half.

In your opinion, to make the post season, what's the margin of error for the Steelers right now. Having 3 losses at this point you really don't want to get any worse than 11-5 and expect to have a realistic chance at a post season bid. Of course running the table now would greatly increase your chances and put you in atleast 2nd place in the AFC North at the very worst. Maybe some things happen with Baltimore and they lose a couple more, maybe not.

The Steelers though have to be careful because every game left is winnable, but not a guarantee.

LatrobePA
11-09-2011, 09:21 AM
No more division losses will do it..

JShare86
11-09-2011, 09:21 AM
I think 10-6 this year will get u in. Only wild card teams are 2 from the east and 2 from the north so in reality if we finish ahead of buffalo and cincy we are in

steelersbabex25
11-09-2011, 10:12 AM
10-6 will get you in, Steelers are gonna finish either 11-5 or 12-4 anyway though. I just can't seem them dropping more than 2 more games in the remaining games with this schedule.

SnakeEyes43
11-09-2011, 10:51 AM
10-6 will get you in, Steelers are gonna finish either 11-5 or 12-4 anyway though. I just can't seem them dropping more than 2 more games in the remaining games with this schedule.

Let us pray to the football gods that we don't have another 2009 second half.

steelersbabex25
11-09-2011, 11:06 AM
09 was a very....special year for the Steelers.

mwittman5
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I think 11-5 will get you in. 10-6 could come down to those tie breaker scenarios so it's better to go 11-5. Jets or pats will likely get 1 wildcard at 11-5 and the other one will probably come down to us or the bengals. As long as we beat the Bengals twice we pretty much knock them out of playoff contention because that'd put them at 4 losses and they still need to play the ravens twice and houston. Bengals probably go 10-6.

Granite State Steel
11-09-2011, 12:12 PM
11-5 at the worst. One more loss in the division, and another "What the heck are they doing?!" game.

JensK
11-09-2011, 12:19 PM
10-6 will only get us in if we beat Bengals in my opinion.

SteelDad
11-09-2011, 12:26 PM
10-6 worries me a great deal although we have the tie-breaker with the Pats. If we took losses to San Fran and STL(Heaven forbid) we'd still be OK because of conference tie-breakers. Even 3-1 against Cincy and Cleveland should be enough.

cmerrifield
11-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Flacco has a history of playing poorly against the Bengals, so they could split. The Bengals then will fall off the playoff chase if that happens, especially if we sweep them, which we should. I dont see anyone from the AFC South or West being in playoff contention. So, I think 10-6 would be good enough, but if we sweep the browns and the bengals than we could be back in the hunt for the division.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2011, 12:49 PM
The Bengals won't run the table against the AFC North, those games are competitive and they could easily lose one. 10-6 would definitely worry me but 11-5 we should be pretty safe. That tiebreaker against the Pats will help us out a big deal.

If the 49ers were coming to our house I'd be alittle more content to say it's going to be a win. We'll have to see though how they continue to do. Losing to them won't be the worst thing in the world but I definitely think we can win it. The amount of AFC North games after the bye is significant, 4 of them are all must wins.

Raleigh Steel
11-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Let us pray to the football gods that we don't have another 2009 second half.

that thought had crept into my mind. we started out 6-2 that year as well. then came the debacle against the bengals that started a 5 game slide right out of the playoffs. the ravens game has put that fear into my heart...that's why this week is the most important game of the year thus far!

DIESELMAN
11-09-2011, 01:52 PM
We need to do better then 11-5 to reach the playoffs and no more division losses. Anything can happen on any given Sunday in the NFL, that's the big reason, the Steelers need to play 1 game at a time and stay focused. Once in the playoffs, we will be a force to be reckoned with.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

Goodfrom55
11-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Barring Ben or Troy being knocked out for significant time, Steelers will not lose another game in the regular season.

Troyisabeast_43
11-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Barring Ben or Troy being knocked out for significant time, Steelers will not lose another game in the regular season.

I agree with you if the Steelers get by Cincy on Sunday on the road then the only other potential loss I see on the rest of the schedule is at San Fran which is by no means the toughest game in the world to win. The Steelers will win at Kansas City,win at home back to back weeks against the Bengals and Browns to start December,win against the Rams at home on Christmas Eve,and win in Cleveland on New Years Day.

pimplydan
11-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Guys guys guys , we haven't played the Bengals yet , they're a division rival and we don't know how we fair vs them yet . they probable will be tough to beat twice . The browns are another story and yes the 49ers are to be wrecked with .

Detroit will play us tough too . We have to lose no more than 3 games to get to the playoffs , we will be much better off with only 2 more losses .

I think we will spit wins with the Bengals and loss 1 more maybe to the 49ers .

I do beleive in the playoffs we will beat the Ravens if we play vs them , we won't lose 3 games in one year vs them, no way !!!

We beat them 3 times once but they won't be able to do that to us .

No team wants to face us in the playoffs , the steelers will peak come playoff time mark my words

steelersbabex25
11-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Guys guys guys , we haven't played the Bengals yet , they're a division rival and we don't know how we fair vs them yet . they probable will be tough to beat twice . The browns are another story and yes the 49ers are to be wrecked with .

Detroit will play us tough too . We have to lose no more than 3 games to get to the playoffs , we will be much better off with only 2 more losses .

I think we will spit wins with the Bengals and loss 1 more maybe to the 49ers .

I do beleive in the playoffs we will beat the Ravens if we play vs them , we won't lose 3 games in one year vs them, no way !!!

We beat them 3 times once but they won't be able to do that to us .

No team wants to face us in the playoffs , the steelers will peak come playoff time mark my words

Detroit :thinking:

cmerrifield
11-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Detroit :thinking:

Maybe he means in the Super Bowl???:tt02:

LevonKirkland99
11-09-2011, 11:35 PM
I still can't believe we lost twice to the ravens.We cannot afford another loss. At the moment I an nervous about the away games @ Chiefs, 49ers and Bengals.

We need to start playing Steeler football and stop making these last minutes mistakes.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Normally you can afford to split one of the divisional rivalries each year but that option is off the table now. The Bengals are not going to be an easy out but I still think it's very winnable. I would say Cleveland shouldn't be a problem either but you never know how these AFC North battles will shape up.

The Browns and Ravens always get up for each other, I wouldn't be so sure that Baltimore wins both of those games either.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2011, 05:19 PM
The Steelers got out of this important stretch with a 2-1 record, which is what most of us were hoping and figuring would happen. Getting the in against the Patriots was huge, but following it up with the loss to the Ravens, they had to have this game. No question about it. You start out the division going down 0-3 and you can forget any type of divisional winning chances.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
The game against the 49ers is the out of conference game that scares me most

coach
11-13-2011, 07:41 PM
The only game that is a must win for the rest of the year is the ravens game when we play them again.

I can't believe how poorly the rats have played this year. They have lost to teams they should have easily beat and they were lucky to beat the cards, a game that shouldn't have been in doubt.

Both teams have soft schedules left, but the Rats don't strike fear into the hearts of anyone.

Yes, they beat us twice. But, until they play more consistently, I am not going to predict that our margin of error is only one more loss.