PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Pass Interference, Torrey Smith!!!!

PeterC042
11-08-2011, 08:22 AM
This call was bull dinky! I agree 100% with this article (http://thexlog.com/201111080825/xtra-point-football/nfl/offensive-pass-interference-torrey-smith/). I'm so frustrated!

LatrobePA
11-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Was a bad bad call but honestly the defense allowed them to march right down the field...

SteelDad
11-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Was a bad bad call but honestly the defense allowed them to march right down the field...

Yup. And you are NEVER going to get that call in an NFL game. I've seen it in college, but never the NFL.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Even if you were going to get that call in the NFL, Will Gay doesn't have the credentials and neither does Smith to warrant the officials actually making that call.

There were so many missed holding calls against both secondaries it wasn't even funny but the majority of them were Wallace and Brown being dragged down or their jersey's being stretched out from the defensive back hanging on and impeding their progress toward the ball.

Rampage
11-08-2011, 12:02 PM
It wouldn't matter. Even if they got the call (which would be pretty meh), the defense would have given up a TD. They looked awful.

steelersbabex25
11-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Definitely looked like offensive PI to me from the get go, but like everybody else said, don't let them march 92 yards down the field if you don't want them to score.

JensK
11-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Be that as it may, even disregarding the last drive, Steelers had plenty of opportunities to win this one and they failed. I agree that it was a debatable call and the officiating was really bad throughout the game, but one should, in my opinion, blame a lose on the officiating crew. It's rare that they blew enough calls to make it impossible for the team to put points on the board or defend against the other team.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Well Clark also was out of position had he played the ball deep he would of had the chance to break that play up instead he thought he had speed like Troy and end up running into Gay instead of breaking up the pass, but when u don't blitz like u did the whole game and let a team march down the field 92 yards they deserve to score,but it was offensive PI, but the ref had thrown the flag before Torry pushed off i bet u from now on when we play the Rats we will have to play the ref's and the Rats from now on untill RG is not the commish anymore,Also if we get the first down we are not having this convo,we can't continue to count on our defense to close games out for us,Tomlin should of known we were letting them convert to many 3rd downs during the game,and he should of went for it on 4th and 5 instead of punt the ball IMO.

Sir Blitzelot
11-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Yeah, it doesn't matter. The defense never should have been in that position to begin with.

Blazedby92
11-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah blame it on officiating WOW
Anyone that watches football knows offensive PI interference is rarely called

LarryNJ
11-08-2011, 10:19 PM
but one should, in my opinion, blame a lose on the officiating crew.

Did you miss the n't? ;):lol:

JensK
11-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Did you miss the n't? ;):lol:

:banging::banging::banging:

Yes, yes I did.

OOPS!
11-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Well Clark also was out of position had he played the ball deep he would of had the chance to break that play up instead he thought he had speed like Troy and end up running into Gay instead of breaking up the pass, but when u don't blitz like u did the whole game and let a team march down the field 92 yards they deserve to score,but it was offensive PI, but the ref had thrown the flag before Torry pushed off i bet u from now on when we play the Rats we will have to play the ref's and the Rats from now on untill RG is not the commish anymore,Also if we get the first down we are not having this convo,we can't continue to count on our defense to close games out for us,Tomlin should of known we were letting them convert to many 3rd downs during the game,and he should of went for it on 4th and 5 instead of punt the ball IMO.

Gee I wonder if the "pushing off" was because he was being held? Oh wait you weren't looking at that part because it wouldn't fit your story. Is it the refs fault when you win or only when you lose? lol

SteelDad
11-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Gee I wonder if the "pushing off" was because he was being held? Oh wait you weren't looking at that part because it wouldn't fit your story. Is it the refs fault when you win or only when you lose? lol

Amazing how you win a couple of games against us and now you bring the smack. Where were you the last few years?

JensK
11-09-2011, 07:51 AM

I'm not quite sure why I'm doing this as you obviously don't wish to engage in a football debate. Anyway, the rules are pretty clear. If there is called pushing off, the penalties offset and they replay the down. As such, it does not really matter that either of the penalties happens because of the other - that logic only applies on false starts. As for the latter part of your post, nope.. And I don't think anyone claimed that its the refs fault we lost the game. Steelers have plenty of opportunities to win the game and they blew it, simple as that. That said, we are still allowed to debate a potential bad call are we not?

Ravenous Rex
11-09-2011, 06:56 PM
This call was bull dinky! I agree 100% with this article (http://thexlog.com/201111080825/xtra-point-football/nfl/offensive-pass-interference-torrey-smith/). I'm so frustrated!

How was the call when Torrey Smith wouldve had a touchdown earlier in the game if he hadnt been held blatantly by the jersey, keeping him from catching up to the ball. That would have been an easy touchdown. Wasnt a flag there? You did a get a cheap flag that negated an opening play touchdown run by Ray Rice. To see crying about not getting flags is almost laughable to me, seeing as you always seem to get the call you need in close games against the Ravens as it is.

Remember the calls that allowed you to hold on the win last year in the playoffs? A flag that called back a touchdown on a punt return. A bogus defensive holding callin Ngata that allowed you to score a touchdown. It seemed like the first half of this game was following the same script. So I guess I cant really blame you for crying about a flags- since you are very used to getting them when you need to be bailed out.

That said, I do appreciate the Steeler fans who know better than to cry about something like that after a hard fought game.

--- Added 11/9/2011 at 05:56 PM ---

Wow, we've been playing against you and the refs for years now. Typical hypocritical talk. You wouldnt really have the audacity to say that around any other than die hard Steeler fans would you? It's seriously laughable that all the calls you have benefitted from over the years, and especially at the start of this last Sunday night's game, are forgotten. Were it not for the refs in that game, it would have been much closer to week one that it was. The score wouldve ben 14-0 very early... a Steeler fan I watched the game with in Vegas admitted as much.

Torrey was getting held all night without getting a call. He was trying to keep hands off him... same held true for the bogus call that robbed Rice of a touchdown.

steelersbabex25
11-09-2011, 07:16 PM
How was the call when Torrey Smith wouldve had a touchdown earlier in the game if he hadnt been held blatantly by the jersey, keeping him from catching up to the ball. That would have been an easy touchdown. Wasnt a flag there? You did a get a cheap flag that negated an opening play touchdown run by Ray Rice. To see crying about not getting flags is almost laughable to me, seeing as you always seem to get the call you need in close games against the Ravens as it is.

Looking through some purple and black glasses, are ya? First off, I wouldn't be whining about our corners holding your receivers, seeing as Mike Wallace was getting his jersey grabbed for damn near the entire game. Second off, an easy touchdown? Torrey Smith is pretty notorious for having a little case of the butterfingers, wouldn't you say? That was already an easy touchdown, and Torrey Smith dropped the ball. Third, not sure what "blatant" grab of the jersey you're talking about on that play, maybe if you show me a video of it I'll be more inclined to believe you. Fourth, a cheap flag on the Ray Rice touchdown? You've got to be absolutely shitting me. Gay was grabbed by the shoulder pads and thrown to the ground, and he would've been there for the tackle if he wasn't. Don't know what rule book you're looking at, but in the NFL, that's pretty much the very definition of the hold. If you're going to insist that we, as Steeler fans, should be level headed about the calls in this game, I have no reason to believe that you shouldn't be also.

If you look at or read any of the other threads or posts on this forum, you could pretty clearly see that hardly any of us are blaming the refs for the loss. We're having a conversation on the missed calls of the game, which I'm almost positive is what the Ravens fans have done when they lost, or even beat the Steelers also. The only thing "bogus" about this conversation is that you come here to crucify us for having it.

Ravenous Rex
11-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Looking through some purple and black glasses, are ya? First off, I wouldn't be whining about our corners holding your receivers, seeing as Mike Wallace was getting his jersey grabbed for damn near the entire game. Second off, an easy touchdown? Torrey Smith is pretty notorious for having a little case of the butterfingers, wouldn't you say? That was already an easy touchdown, and Torrey Smith dropped the ball. Third, not sure what "blatant" grab of the jersey you're talking about on that play, maybe if you show me a video of it I'll be more inclined to believe you. Fourth, a cheap flag on the Ray Rice touchdown? You've got to be absolutely shitting me. Gay was grabbed by the shoulder pads and thrown to the ground, and he would've been there for the tackle if he wasn't. Don't know what rule book you're looking at, but in the NFL, that's pretty much the very definition of the hold.

If you look at or read any of the other threads or posts on this forum, you could pretty clearly see that hardly any of us are blaming the refs for the loss. We're having a conversation on the missed calls of the game, which I'm almost positive is what the Ravens fans have done when they lost, or even beat the Steelers also. The only thing "bogus" about this conversation is that you come here to crucify us for it.

Umm, sorry, no time to watch the game and find a way to post a short clip to prove a point to a blind fan. If wallace was getting held, it was going both ways FOR SURE. Torrey did drop some balls, that's one reason the game was as close as it was, but sideline routes have been very good for him this season. It's the ones in the numbers and back side over the shoulders he drops.

And stop listening to al michaels, Gay was pulling torrey smith to the ground more than the opposite. Youre the one drinking the home team koolaid if you think otherwise. Those types of blocks happen EVERY play and are rarely, RARELY, called. It was some home cooking, and I wouldnt expect a Steelers fan to admit it- but it was weak. Take that flag away, and the entire game changes. It is what it is. Bad calls on both sides.... but DEFINITELY not a reason for anyone to cry foul.

I'd tell you to watch NFL Replay, but A, what steeler fan would want to, and B) they skip right over the first half, where the play u asked me to post would be shown...

steelersbabex25
11-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I'll say again, nobody's crying foul. I think 98% of the people on here agree that the Ravens won that game (almost) fair and square. And, I'll also say again, read any post on this site and you'll see that everyone's saying that the Steelers had too many opportunities to win the game and didn't to blame the refs for the loss. That being said, you can't come on to a Steeler forum and expect us to be talking about bad calls against the Ravens all that much. This is a Steelers site, after all.

OOPS!
11-09-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm not quite sure why I'm doing this as you obviously don't wish to engage in a football debate. Anyway, the rules are pretty clear. If there is called pushing off, the penalties offset and they replay the down. As such, it does not really matter that either of the penalties happens because of the other - that logic only applies on false starts. As for the latter part of your post, nope.. And I don't think anyone claimed that its the refs fault we lost the game. Steelers have plenty of opportunities to win the game and they blew it, simple as that. That said, we are still allowed to debate a potential bad call are we not?

Come on you're smarter then that. If Smith pushed off because he being held there is no offsetting penalties. it's not he was held then released then pushed off. A hold was called. Now if you want to tell me there was no hold, fine that's how you saw it. I just get tired of people constantly blaming losses on bad calls, whether it's a little league game or Ravens fans still crying that Holmes was out of bounds a few years ago. ( which he wasn't) If no one claimed the refs cost them the game then why is it mentioned at all much less over and over and over. Check out the message board of any team losing a close game and it was the refs fault. And Ravens fans are at least as guilty as any fans of that. Betcha if you read Ravens boards after the last time the Steelers blew the Ravens out it was the refs fault.

Ravenous Rex
11-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Come on you're smarter then that. If Smith pushed off because he being held there is no offsetting penalties. it's not he was held then released then pushed off. A hold was called. Now if you want to tell me there was no hold, fine that's how you saw it. I just get tired of people constantly blaming losses on bad calls, whether it's a little league game or Ravens fans still crying that Holmes was out of bounds a few years ago. ( which he wasn't) If no one claimed the refs cost them the game then why is it mentioned at all much less over and over and over. Check out the message board of any team losing a close game and it was the refs fault. And Ravens fans are at least as guilty as any fans of that. Betcha if you read Ravens boards after the last time the Steelers blew the Ravens out it was the refs fault.

Get the flashback right. Holmes was short of the goalline on a "TD" catch, not out of bounds. It was pretty obvious. I would still love to see what the brilliant Tomlin would have done if faced to make a 4th and one call with the game on the line.

And I'm sorry, when was the last time the Ravens got blown out by the Steelers? Seems to me, to players AND fans alike, you guys got so many breaks and won sqeakers against the Ravens over the years, that you truly you believed you were the dominant team. Penalties, and yeah, a lot of them horrible calls, and poor execution led to many a Ravens loss versus the Steelers. All close games though. The Polamalu sack last season was inexcusable. The Ravens dominated that game and lost because of poor execution and questionable playcalling. Noone cried about the refs after that one. There have been quite a few times I was pissed about a call, but rarely blame a loss on it.

The playoff game last year I always point to. The Ravens were choking the game away with fumbles and dropped passes. It did hurt though, that when they tried to pick themselves up, EVERY big play was negated by a questionable penalty, which allowed the home team, umm, the Steelers, to keep momentum. Many games have been decided by a ref. There are always bad calls, but some are definitely more damaging than others. Now in that same game, the Boldin dropped a touchdown pass in the chest that wouldve made the bad call that wiped away a punt return td moot. TJ whoseyurmamma blew the potential comeback with a dropped ball. Those plays get made, and the defensive holding call that NEVER gets made, but did for you on a 3rd down play we stuffed, allowing u to score a td with a fresh set of down, made the hole even deeper. regardless, you are more frustrated by the players not executing in crunch time, then you are at the bad calls. BUt the calls are a slap in the face, and when you cant accept that they played a part in winning some games, than you are blind.

steelersbabex25
11-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Wait wait wait, let me get this straight. You come on here, questioning why we're even discussing the refs having an impact in this game, and you follow that up with a whining rant about the Ravens losing previous games because of the refs? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Ravenous Rex
11-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Wait wait wait, let me get this straight. You come on here, questioning why we're even discussing the refs having an impact in this game, and you follow that up with a whining rant about the Ravens losing previous games because of the refs? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

I bring that up in retort. I havent gone anywhere and cried when they happen, but they did. So when I see crying over officiating and it involves a team that IMO, has gotten just about EVERY big call in their favor when they really mattered, it gets under my skin.

connecticutsteel
11-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Even if you were going to get that call in the NFL, Will Gay doesn't have the credentials and neither does Smith to warrant the officials actually making that call.

There were so many missed holding calls against both secondaries it wasn't even funny but the majority of them were Wallace and Brown being dragged down or their jersey's being stretched out from the defensive back hanging on and impeding their progress toward the ball.
this isn't the nba it should have been called. That was a badly officiated game that benefitted the Ravens NO FLAG ON RAY LEWIS but ryan clark got flagged which cost the steelers points no worries Ravens will lose 5 or six games this year we will run the table and take the division
Talk about a crybaby whinebaugh makes me sick and newsome screwed the bears on draft day to get the player he wanted Ravens are dirty through and through

steelersbabex25
11-09-2011, 08:58 PM
I bring that up in retort. I havent gone anywhere and cried when they happen, but they did. So when I see crying over officiating and it involves a team that IMO, has gotten just about EVERY big call in their favor when they really mattered, it gets under my skin.

Ever hear of the saying "good teams overcome the bad calls?" Hmmm?

Sounds like a damn Seahawks fan over here.

Ravenous Rex
11-09-2011, 09:21 PM
this isn't the nba it should have been called. That was a badly officiated game that benefitted the Ravens NO FLAG ON RAY LEWIS but ryan clark got flagged which cost the steelers points no worries Ravens will lose 5 or six games this year we will run the table and take the division
Talk about a crybaby whinebaugh makes me sick and newsome screwed the bears on draft day to get the player he wanted Ravens are dirty through and through

Wow, I could take the oblivious ignorance in thinking the Ravens got the benefit of the refs over the Steelers. That's seriously laughable. BUt gets your facts straight. The Bears hosed the Ravens on draft day and we were lucky to STILL get the player we wanted. Get a clue dude.

--- Added 11/9/2011 at 08:21 PM ---

Ever hear of the saying "good teams overcome the bad calls?" Hmmm?

Sounds like a damn Seahawks fan over here.

Ummm yeah, which is what we did Sunday night, and guess who are the ones crying now? And AGAIN, as I said, the Ravens still had chances to win the games we lost, particularly last season the playoffs.

I'll even give you this. Before the Steelers went on their playoff run in Cowher's last hurrah, they were always getting screwed by the refs, particularly versus the Colts. I remember a Polamalu interception that got reversed against them, and I cried foul for your team. BUt you now what, the Steelers overcame it and won anyway. (and ben saved Bettis from being the biggest goat of all time).

BUT, ever since that game, and that Superbowl win, I've felt the Steelers became the beneficiary of many a questionable call. To me it came down to this, with gutsy wins, you earn the respect of the league and the refs, and by simple human nature, they are apt to give the benefit of the doubt to those teams.

The Steelers established themselves as being a great team by overcoming a lot in 2006, and that engraciated themselves to a higher degree of respect and credibility from the men wearing stripes each Sunday.

That's certainly why Brady and Manning always seem to get the close call. To me, Sunday night was a step in that direction for the Ravens.

steelersbabex25
11-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Oh please. It's easy for anyone that's not a fan of a specific team to say "you're team is getting all the calls." It's bullshit. Complete bullshit. You say the Steelers players get the benefit of the doubt, we say the opposite. Cause if they did, your boy Ray Ray would have been flagged for a helmet to helmet hit on Sunday that knocked Hines Ward out of the game for good, to continue what could have been a touchdown drive. How do you figure the Steelers players are getting all the calls now?

Root4Stlrs
11-10-2011, 02:39 AM
When was the last time the Ravens got blown out by the Steelers? I was at that game and it was great. It was Monday night and they were celebrating the 75 year team. Best part was listening to all the whining afterward by Ray Lewis.

OOPS!
11-10-2011, 03:55 AM
Wow, I could take the oblivious ignorance in thinking the Ravens got the benefit of the refs over the Steelers. That's seriously laughable. BUt gets your facts straight. The Bears hosed the Ravens on draft day and we were lucky to STILL get the player we wanted. Get a clue dude.

--- Added 11/9/2011 at 08:21 PM ---

Ummm yeah, which is what we did Sunday night, and guess who are the ones crying now? And AGAIN, as I said, the Ravens still had chances to win the games we lost, particularly last season the playoffs.

I'll even give you this. Before the Steelers went on their playoff run in Cowher's last hurrah, they were always getting screwed by the refs, particularly versus the Colts. I remember a Polamalu interception that got reversed against them, and I cried foul for your team. BUt you now what, the Steelers overcame it and won anyway. (and ben saved Bettis from being the biggest goat of all time).

BUT, ever since that game, and that Superbowl win, I've felt the Steelers became the beneficiary of many a questionable call. To me it came down to this, with gutsy wins, you earn the respect of the league and the refs, and by simple human nature, they are apt to give the benefit of the doubt to those teams.

The Steelers established themselves as being a great team by overcoming a lot in 2006, and that engraciated themselves to a higher degree of respect and credibility from the men wearing stripes each Sunday.

That's certainly why Brady and Manning always seem to get the close call. To me, Sunday night was a step in that direction for the Ravens.

You're an embarrassment to Ravens fans.

SteelDad
11-10-2011, 07:40 AM
You're an embarrassment to Ravens fans.

Priceless!!!:lol: