PDA

View Full Version : Why The Steelers Will Still Win the AFC North

Cricker24
11-07-2011, 06:27 PM
i apologize if something like this has already been posted. here's how i see the Steelers still winning the AFC North despite losing last night.

Steelers remaining schedule:
@ Cincinnati, BYE, @ Kansas City, vs Cincinnati, vs. Cleveland, @ San Francisco, vs. St. Louis, @Cleveland

i have the Steelers winning 6 of their last 7 with their only loss being @ San Francisco. that gives the Steelers a record of 12-4.

Ravens remaining schedule:
@ Seattle, vs Cincinnati, vs San Francisco, @ Cleveland, vs Indianapolis, @ San Diego, vs Cleveland, @ Cincinnati

i have the Ravens losing against San Francisco, @ San Diego, and @ Cincinnati. i wouldn't even be surprised if Baltimore loss to Seattle this Sunday since they've already loss to Jacksonville and i think the Seahawks are better than the Jags. anyway, i have the Ravens finishing 11-5 at best!!

now, the key from the Steelers perspective is this Sunday against Cincinnati. if Pittsburgh wins that game, and i have them winning 23-10, than i'm 100% certain they're going finish 12-4. if they stumble and lose on Sunday, i can see the season getting out of hand and looking like 2009 again.

get through Sunday with a win and Pittsburgh should get Woodley and possibly Farrior back after the Bye Week. i'm assuming Emmanuel Sanders will be back this week against the Bengals.

just my :2cents:

Chris :tt02:

Ibleedblk&gld
11-07-2011, 06:31 PM
i like the thought...but i'm not so sure

Rampage
11-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I doubt the Steelers will win the division, but stranger things have happened. The Ravens are capable of playing down to competition, but so are the Steelers. We'll see when the time comes. Real shame the Cardinals sucked it during the second half last week.

Ibleedblk&gld
11-07-2011, 06:40 PM
if we can't win the division, i'd much rather the bengals pull it off rather than the ravens

JensK
11-07-2011, 06:53 PM
We loose twice to ravens but sweep the Bengals who Ravens loose to once? I hope you are right but I doubt it :(

Cricker24
11-07-2011, 06:54 PM
you'll see...keep the faith!!

LatrobePA
11-07-2011, 07:03 PM
The AFCN was lost yesterday, sorry man...

Goodfrom55
11-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Truth be told, I couldn't give a rip less if the Steelers win the division; I just want them to make the playoffs. No one, and I mean no one will want to play this team in the playoffs, especially in their own stadium.

Losing sucked yesterday, but it is far from the end of the football world. They wil be healthy, unified and playing with a purpose. I can see the Rats losing to the Chargers and maybe San Fran, and possibly Cincy. call me nuts or naive or a homer or other, but I cannot sit here and pretend I don't believe the Steelers will run the table. As long as they stay healthy, they will not lose again until some point in the playoffs. Call it faith, but it is what I feel.

Mike Tomlin
11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I swear I know the pulse of this team and I knew in the first quarter that we would not win that game. It's the way they acted that tells me if we will when or not, but i didn't see that uncertain attitude in Troy and Harrison as well as Brown and Wallace. Ben just wasn't into it yesterday. Both teams played scared for the most part. Not having Sanders hurt more than not having Woodley because when Wallace ,Brown , and Sanders is on the field together someone is not only open but WIDE open and we didn't have that at all yesterday. That being said this is Hines last year one way or another. Baltimore will lose more games and the race for the north is not over by a long shot. Believe me or not this is a superbowl team. I would feel beter about us going in as a wild card instead of having home field because we hardly ever win the superbowl when we have home field. When we go in as a wildcard we have a better chance. I guess we just like it the hard way.

JShare86
11-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Best case scenario there is a 3 way tie atop the division that way head to head will be thrown out just another way we could win the division with the same record as the ravens

Troyisabeast_43
11-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Truth be told, I couldn't give a rip less if the Steelers win the division; I just want them to make the playoffs. No one, and I mean no one will want to play this team in the playoffs, especially in their own stadium.

Losing sucked yesterday, but it is far from the end of the football world. They wil be healthy, unified and playing with a purpose. I can see the Rats losing to the Chargers and maybe San Fran, and possibly Cincy. call me nuts or naive or a homer or other, but I cannot sit here and pretend I don't believe the Steelers will run the table. As long as they stay healthy, they will not lose again until some point in the playoffs. Call it faith, but it is what I feel.

I agree with you I think if they get by at Cincy on Sunday they can definitely win out and finish at 13-3. I agree with you too when you say nobody will want to play the Steelers in their own stadium especially someone like Houston or the winner of the AFC West, or even the Ravens again...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-08-2011, 12:08 AM
In a corner of a hushed locker room, Antonio Brown took no consolation in the stat line five catches for 109 yards that continues to affirm his emergence as a big-play wide receiver.

"Forget stats. It's about wins," the second-year man said following the Steelers' 23-20 come-from-ahead loss to the Ravens on Sunday night. "We're 0-2 in this division, and that's not where we want to be."

The Steelers ceded control of the AFC North to the Ravens they now have one less loss and own the head-to-head tiebreaker after stumbling in the waning minutes at Heinz Field.

They will need help if they are to win a fourth division title in five years under coach Mike Tomlin, and they probably won't get much of it from Baltimore.

For all that is made about the Steelers' favorable schedule, their seven remaining opponents have a combined winning percentage of .536. The Ravens' eight remaining opponents have won at a .477 clip.

What might make the Ravens tougher to catch is an intangible: The galvanizing effect of overcoming a 21-point deficit against the Arizona Cardinals, and a week later, rallying in the final minutes to beat the Steelers.

"I think we'll get the respect from our defense now," Ravens running back Ray Rice said Sunday. "They've been carrying us. We're happy to do things like this. It builds team camaraderie. There's no other way to do it."

There are still plenty of reasons for the Steelers to be optimistic, even with the Ravens holding a significant advantage in the division.

Ben Roethlisberger is playing well. The defense is back to snuffing out the run. And you have to think the Steelers have weathered their streak of injuries.

So the Steelers will stay focused, with all eyes on the surprising Bengals Cincinnati is 6-2 and has yet to play the Steelers or Ravens this week, even though there was a strong sense in the Steelers' locker room late Sunday that they will see Baltimore again this season.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20have%20lots%20of%20work%20to%20do%20in% 20AFC%20North%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_766123.html#ixzz1d5ToojJe)

Dean Denton
11-08-2011, 12:27 AM
The Steelers and the Ravens are not going to lose to the 49ers...The Ravens could slip up in Seattle, but i doubt it. I think cincy will lose both games to the Steelers and the Ravens. Steelers will finish 13-3, and get the 1st seed. I dont know who is going to beat the Ravens but they will drop 2 more games. And they really dont want to see the Steelers again. Playoffs will be owned by Ben. He's going to throw over 300 yards in all three games. This time the packers go down....

JensK
11-08-2011, 03:54 AM
The Steelers and the Ravens are not going to lose to the 49ers...The Ravens could slip up in Seattle, but i doubt it. I think cincy will lose both games to the Steelers and the Ravens. Steelers will finish 13-3, and get the 1st seed. I dont know who is going to beat the Ravens but they will drop 2 more games. And they really dont want to see the Steelers again. Playoffs will be owned by Ben. He's going to throw over 300 yards in all three games. This time the packers go down....

If for nothing else, the Chargers game showed that Packers aren't unbeatable if you can put points on the board.

Nolrog
11-08-2011, 06:46 AM
i apologize if something like this has already been posted. here's how i see the Steelers still winning the AFC North despite losing last night.

i have the Steelers winning 6 of their last 7 with their only loss being @ San Francisco. that gives the Steelers a record of 12-4.

i have the Ravens losing against San Francisco, @ San Diego, and @ Cincinnati. i wouldn't even be surprised if Baltimore loss to Seattle this Sunday since they've already loss to Jacksonville and i think the Seahawks are better than the Jags. anyway, i have the Ravens finishing 11-5 at best!!

Really wishful thinking.

I predict the Steelers go 5-2 the rest of the way. Losing in San Fran and one of the 4 remaining division games.

I predict the Ravens will go 6-2. Splitting the games against San Fran/San Diego and losing one of the 4 division games.

And don't forget Cincinnati who are also 6-2, although they do play a more difficult schedule.

I agree with Latrobe, division was lost yesterday without question.

harpo
11-08-2011, 07:06 AM

The Bengals always play the Ravens tough, so i'm certain that they (the Bengals) will win one of those games. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if they split with the Steelers.

SteelDad
11-08-2011, 07:51 AM
I like your optimism but I don't see Baltimore losing at home to the Niners. On the road maybe, but not at home. I can see them slipping up against the Chargers and Bengals (once) but it won't be enough for us to catch them because we have some tough ones left too. We never play well at KC although I think we'll get the W there and I predict a loss to the Niners at home if they are who they think they are.

dscola
11-08-2011, 08:01 AM
You have Baltimore losing at home to San Fransisco who is traveling across the country on a short week. Highly unlikely. But hey 1 can dream.

SteelDad
11-08-2011, 09:06 AM
You have Baltimore losing at home to San Fransisco who is traveling across the country on a short week. Highly unlikely. But hey 1 can dream.

Niners have proven they travel well beating Detroit, Washington, Cincy and Philly all on the road.

LatrobePA
11-08-2011, 09:22 AM
The Bengals always play the Ravens tough, so i'm certain that they (the Bengals) will win one of those games. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if they split with the Steelers.

Doesn't matter if we lose to the Bengals this week... This is as much of a must win game as the Ravens game was..

LarryNJ
11-08-2011, 12:04 PM
This year you never know. This weekend the Steelers, Pats, Eagles, all lost the games at home in the 4th quarter against teams they should have beat.

Troyisabeast_43
11-08-2011, 02:40 PM
If the Steelers beat the Bengals this week they are in excellent shape the next 3 games having KC after the bye week followed by the Bengals and Browns on back to back weeks...Like I have been saying the key for the Steelers the rest of the way is to keep the pressure on the Ravens week in and week out. Force them to win every single week because you win. If the Steelers continue to win every single week the Ravens at some point I truly believe in 1 or 2 of these 8 games they have left will slip at some point and the Steelers will be right back in the division race the last 3-4 games...

steelchamp204
11-08-2011, 02:42 PM
I still think Joe and Cam still have a few stinkers(Jags) games left this season. Its not to much of a long shot for us.

LatrobePA
11-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I can see them struggling this weekend.

Troyisabeast_43
11-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I still think Joe and Cam still have a few stinkers(Jags) games left this season. Its not to much of a long shot for us.

Dont be surprised if the Ravens struggle in Seattle on Sunday. Ever since the Seahawks got blown out by the Steelers in week 2 they have won a few games including beating the Giants on the road, and have pretty much been in every single game they have played in as well. They played Atlanta tough in Seattle,they played Cincy tough in Seattle,and hung in there against Dallas at Cowboys Stadium this past Sunday. Qwest Field is always a tough place to play at and win and Pete Carroll always seems to have the Seahawks fired up and ready to play, so if the Ravens go up to Seattle thinking they just gotta show up and that will be good enough they could be in for a tougher game then they anticipate...

Cricker24
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Dont be surprised if the Ravens struggle in Seattle on Sunday. Ever since the Seahawks got blown out by the Steelers in week 2 they have won a few games including beating the Giants on the road, and have pretty much been in every single game they have played in as well. They played Atlanta tough in Seattle,they played Cincy tough in Seattle,and hung in there against Dallas at Cowboys Stadium this past Sunday. Qwest Field is always a tough place to play at and win and Pete Carroll always seems to have the Seahawks fired up and ready to play, so if the Ravens go up to Seattle thinking they just gotta show up and that will be good enough they could be in for a tougher game then they anticipate...

exactly!! remember what happened after the Ravens beat the Steelers in Week 1? Baltimore turned around and lost to Tennessee. like you just said, Qwest field is not an easy place to play and things setup for another letdown by the Ravens, just like after Week 1. i'm telling you, the Steelers will beat the Bengals 23-10 on Sunday and if the Ravens lose to the Seahawks, Pittsburgh will win the division!!

Steelers_All_Day_43
11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Doubt we lose to the 9ers. Stop Gore and you stop them. We won't let Alex Smith beat us. If we do lose another game, it'll probably be to Cincy.

steelerschick1220
11-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Its going to be interesting to see. Just because Flacco led one drive that won the game we shouldn't forget that bad Flacco seems to pop up more and more then the one that showed up sunday night. Its a longshot for sure to get the divison but strange things do happen sometimes in the NFL. Just got to go win our games, do our thing, and let the chips fall where they may.

Root4Stlrs
11-10-2011, 02:59 AM
I swear I know the pulse of this team and I knew in the first quarter that we would not win that game. It's the way they acted that tells me if we will when or not, but i didn't see that uncertain attitude in Troy and Harrison as well as Brown and Wallace. Ben just wasn't into it yesterday. Both teams played scared for the most part. Not having Sanders hurt more than not having Woodley because when Wallace ,Brown , and Sanders is on the field together someone is not only open but WIDE open and we didn't have that at all yesterday. That being said this is Hines last year one way or another. Baltimore will lose more games and the race for the north is not over by a long shot. Believe me or not this is a superbowl team. I would feel beter about us going in as a wild card instead of having home field because we hardly ever win the superbowl when we have home field. When we go in as a wildcard we have a better chance. I guess we just like it the hard way.

There was a strange feel about the whole game to me. Even felt it in the fans before the game - the energy just wasn't the same even though the crowd really came through most of the game. That last drive felt like last year's loss to the Ratbirds.

harpo
11-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Doesn't matter if we lose to the Bengals this week... This is as much of a must win game as the Ravens game was..

I agree....but it does matter if they lose to the Bengals. That would put them at 0-3 in the division. Every divisional game is very important from here on out.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-11-2011, 09:01 AM
We can't count on other teams in our division losing more games, we have to take control of our destiny and do everything in our power to make their lives miserable. Since the Steelers play the Bengals and Browns twice during the last part of the season coming up we have the ability to control what happens to us in a big way.

Win out, go 13-3 and you'll make the playoffs.

SteelDad
11-11-2011, 09:23 AM
We can't count on other teams in our division losing more games, we have to take control of our destiny and do everything in our power to make their lives miserable. Since the Steelers play the Bengals and Browns twice during the last part of the season coming up we have the ability to control what happens to us in a big way.

Win out, go 13-3 and you'll make the playoffs.

Amen. Control what YOU can control and let other things work themselves out.

Ibleedblk&gld
11-11-2011, 09:25 AM
hell, if they can make the playoffs and at least win 1 game, we can end the "superbowl hangover" talk

LarryNJ
11-11-2011, 03:53 PM
If the season ended today the Bengals are the #1 seed in the AFc yet they only have a 7% probability of winning the division. :lol:

AFC NORTH
Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
BAL 61 29 9 1
PIT 32 53 14 1
CIN 7 17 69 7
CLE 0 1 7 92

AFC Percent Probability Playoff Seeding
Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Total
HOU 32 36 26 4 0 0 99
BAL 36 16 8 1 22 9 92
PIT 14 13 5 0 46 12 90
NE 10 18 26 2 6 16 79
SD 1 2 7 56 0 1 66
NYJ 2 6 14 2 6 19 48
BUF 2 6 11 2 6 15 42
CIN 2 3 2 0 12 19 39
OAK 0 0 2 18 0 1 22
KC 0 0 0 9 0 1 10

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/11/playoff-probabilities-week-10.html#more

connecticutsteel
11-12-2011, 10:41 AM
The AFCN was lost yesterday, sorry man...

It's way too early to say if the Ravens suffer one or two key injuries it's over

Cricker24
11-14-2011, 03:24 PM
exactly!! remember what happened after the Ravens beat the Steelers in Week 1? Baltimore turned around and lost to Tennessee. like you just said, Qwest field is not an easy place to play and things setup for another letdown by the Ravens, just like after Week 1. i'm telling you, the Steelers will beat the Bengals 23-10 on Sunday and if the Ravens lose to the Seahawks, Pittsburgh will win the division!!

ok, so i was a little off on the score yesterday, but i was right that the Steelers would beat the Bengals and the Ravens would struggle at the Seahawks. unfortunately i didn't come right out and say that Seattle would win because if i did, i'd really be bragging right now!! LOL!! :lol:

so does anyone still think the division is lost? i sure don't!!

LatrobePA
11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
It's way too early to say if the Ravens suffer one or two key injuries it's over

Hmmm, for the first time in my life I may of been wrong! LOL

Mike Tomlin
11-14-2011, 04:04 PM
I remember in a post right before the Ravens beat us I said it was not a must win game unlike a lot of people here. Like I said then there is too much football to be played to say that game was a must win. Baltimore is not ready and they will not beat us when it matters.

Damn I should work for Ms. Cleo lol!

Ibleedblk&gld
11-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Matt Schaub could miss several weeks with a significant foot injury (per adam schefter)...which means Matt Leinart is starting in his place...this could help us out

LarryNJ
11-17-2011, 06:22 PM
67% chance we win the division..98 we make the playoffs

AFC NORTH
Team Rec Wins 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
PIT 7-3 11.8 67 30 3 0
BAL 6-3 10.5 30 52 18 1
CIN 6-3 9.0 3 18 75 4
CLE 3-6 5.4 0 0 4 95

AFC Percent Probability Playoff Seeding
Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Total
HOU 53 29 16 2 0 0 >99