PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark

Clevelandsux
11-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm really getting sick of his helmet to helmet hits, costing us penalties.

Rampage
11-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Unfortunately for Clark, the NFL is weaning out his bread and butter plays. Clark has never been a coverage ace. He was a threat to receivers because they had to account for his presence: Do I make a catch in front of him knowing I will get hit very hard, or do I try to save myself? Now, a receiver may as well go to catch it because they will either make the reception or draw a 15 yard penalty. Adaptation is key, and I'm not sure he is capable of it.

LatrobePA
11-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Was a good hit IMO, that was one that could of went either way. I'm more sick of his constant getting burnt..

Goodfrom55
11-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Was a good hit IMO, that was one that could of went either way. I'm more sick of his constant getting burnt..

Agreed, but it is OK for Ray Lewis to lay out Hines in the same manner (helmet to helmet) without a flag being thrown.

Clark's cover skills for lack of a better word, stink.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I can't blame Clark for that hit, he set himself up perfectly to hit the receiver shoulder to shoulder just like you're supposed to. The receivers instinctively duct their heads when they know a big hit is coming. You just simply can't pull up from a hit like that at the last minute. We've seen it time and time again last year with Harrison and with others.

Now I would agree that he's never been a great cover Safety and he may be coming somewhat of a liability. Is he better than Ryan Mundy though? Clark is a bigger hitter but you get more flags, Mundy is a pretty decent Safety in pass coverage but doesn't dish out the supersonic blasts. It's a give and take but personally I don't see Carnell Lake benching Clark in the immediately future.

LatrobePA
11-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Don't be shocked if he isn't suspended for this game...

mwittman5
11-07-2011, 06:14 PM
He's signed thru 2013 but I'd be surprised if he finishes out the contract.

Ibleedblk&gld
11-07-2011, 06:17 PM
i'm sick of it too..i wish for once he'd just wrap someone up instead of going for the big hit everytime

steelersbabex25
11-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Like Chris Collinsworth said, 5 years ago that's just a good football play. Now players are getting crucified for it.

I don't think it's Clark just going for the big hit to be showy. He does it with a purpose, which is why I can't really be mad at him for it. It's not like he's Kemo, just being a dumbass and doing something stupid. Once a player makes a catch, what are you gonna try to do as a defender? Get them to drop the ball, obviously. Clark's big hits did well for him in the past to negate a catch that had already been made. It's a shame he's getting fined for trying to make a football play now.

Because of that, I also can't really bitch and whine about Ray Lewis trying to do the same thing to Ward, because he was also just trying to do the same thing as Clark. Get the receiver to drop the ball. That being said, what I can bitch and whine about is the fact that Clark was fined for his hit and Lewis wasn't, something that has already been beaten to death on this forum. So, I'll leave it at that.

Mike Tomlin
11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Clark is the enforcer in the secondary and his hits set the tone for our D. Mundy is the future at that position he covers better and he's not Clark but the guy can hit too. Earlier this year Mundy was anticipating the snap and in the back field before the Qb could hand the ball off on a couple of occasions.