PDA

View Full Version : Blame Can Be Spread All Over

SteelDad
11-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Offense: 1 out of 4 in the Red Zone. I don't look for this to change as it has been an issue under Arians since he took over... It really was a great play by Suggs to intercept the ball, but this falls on Ben and Arians. When you constantly throw WR screens as often as we do, teams will start coaching their DEs/LBs to look for it and that's what Suggs did... Gotta find ways to get Mike Wallace more touches than that. Huge failure there.

Defense: 3rd Downs. Enough said... 92 yard drive. Enough said... Ryan Clark's poor play to end the game should not have surprised anyone. Go back to last year's games against Baltimore and you'll see they picked on him in the same way. One of the simplest rules to follow in football, don't let anyone behind you. It's not a difficult concept. Same goes for you Ike Taylor and William Gay.

Coaching: Twice in the same season, the coaches were out-schemed by the Ravens and the players executed better than we did. Look no further than how poor our secondary looked. Ravens constantly had answers on 3rd downs and that is a result of game-planning and knowing the defense's tendencies in those situations.

Officiating: I'm not blaming the refs, but they were not a secondary issue to the game which they should always be. Constant holding in the secondary. Mike Wallace and AB's jerseys have more fingerprints on them than a crime scene... Many holds on rushing linemen... Won't even get started on the helmet-to-helmet crap.

Overall a very disappointing Sunday night. We are looking at a Wild Card plain and simple because I just don't see us catching Baltimore with the schedules remaining for each. The good news? I hope to god we are healthy going into the playoffs and we get to go to Baltimore.

LatrobePA
11-07-2011, 08:49 AM
This loss is IMO as bad as losing the SB for me personally. I woke up this morning horse from scream FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF all game long!

Just get off the fn field on 3rd down and we win, NOPE!!

Deviouz1
11-07-2011, 10:08 AM
much better.

there were issues all over the field, you cant really point to one thing and say "that lost the game" because better execution in any of the other areas would have done the trick.

the opening post gets a big fat :plus1: in my book.

Rampage
11-07-2011, 11:44 AM
There are three things that I place blame on:

First: The defense allowing Baltimore to move down field and get a FG at the end of the first half. Three points turned out to have some meaning in this one and the defense couldn't hold them. It would be a sign of things to come.

Second: Ben's interception. Had Ben not thrown that pick, you would think the Steelers could have made a field goal; who knows, maybe they would have taken more time off the clock, putting more pressure on Flacco and company at the end of the game.

Third: The last minute stand, or lack thereof. This team typically thinks of itself as a defensive powerhouse; not right now. Giving up a 92 yard drive like that was very poor.

Obviously, the Ravens can say the same; that they made mistakes that cost them some points. These are just the biggest mistakes the Steelers made in the game and as it seems to go this year, the Steelers made several and the opponent didn't match them.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I put that interception squarely on Ben. I know we run a ton of WR screens but watching that play over and over Ben just didn't look before he threw it. If you're going to throw a timing pattern like that you have to take a split second and make sure nobody is going to jump the route. I know he wants to get the ball out of his hands quickly, and that's great, but you can't just throw it out there especially when Suggs was lined up that far off.

Maybe he was trying to disguise the play by not looking that way before the snap, but either way credit Suggs as much as you want but blame Ben as well.

LarryNJ
11-07-2011, 03:06 PM
You all are absolutely correct. There's plenty of blame and other than the refs I think you all hit most of them. It's like this team is Jekyll & Hyde.

The way this season has gone thru out the league it wouldn't surprise me to see us catch the Ravens. If not anything can happen in the playoffs. Other than Green Bay there's really no team that is better than us if we play our game.

Iron Paul
11-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Offense: 1 out of 4 in the Red Zone. I don't look for this to change as it has been an issue under Arians since he took over... It really was a great play by Suggs to intercept the ball, but this falls on Ben and Arians. When you constantly throw WR screens as often as we do, teams will start coaching their DEs/LBs to look for it and that's what Suggs did... Gotta find ways to get Mike Wallace more touches than that. Huge failure there.

Defense: 3rd Downs. Enough said... 92 yard drive. Enough said... Ryan Clark's poor play to end the game should not have surprised anyone. Go back to last year's games against Baltimore and you'll see they picked on him in the same way. One of the simplest rules to follow in football, don't let anyone behind you. It's not a difficult concept. Same goes for you Ike Taylor and William Gay.

Coaching: Twice in the same season, the coaches were out-schemed by the Ravens and the players executed better than we did. Look no further than how poor our secondary looked. Ravens constantly had answers on 3rd downs and that is a result of game-planning and knowing the defense's tendencies in those situations.

Officiating: I'm not blaming the refs, but they were not a secondary issue to the game which they should always be. Constant holding in the secondary. Mike Wallace and AB's jerseys have more fingerprints on them than a crime scene... Many holds on rushing linemen... Won't even get started on the helmet-to-helmet crap.

Overall a very disappointing Sunday night. We are looking at a Wild Card plain and simple because I just don't see us catching Baltimore with the schedules remaining for each. The good news? I hope to god we are healthy going into the playoffs and we get to go to Baltimore.
+Absolutely agree with your take on the game. 92 yds from the 8 yd line and our defense stunk to high heaven in general and Gay, Clark & Taylor in particular! Taylor could not defend against Boldin. Without a doubt in my mind, we should have won the game. Even with Harrison's three sacks, the Ravens protected Flacco quite well. Also, the refs could have and should called offensive interference on Torrey Smith as he was pushing off on Gay. Sorry, but there is no excuse for losing this one.

Goodfrom55
11-07-2011, 03:33 PM
You all are absolutely correct. There's plenty of blame and other than the refs I think you all hit most of them. It's like this team is Jekyll & Hyde.

The way this season has gone thru out the league it wouldn't surprise me to see us catch the Ravens. If not anything can happen in the playoffs. Other than Green Bay there's really no team that is better than us if we play our game.

Well, that's the final word on this game for me. Agree wth you 100%. Steelers just need to eliminate the 1 or 2 plays that cause them the game or a scoring opportunity. Whether it the int with Suggs or the BS roughing call on Clark (on 3rd down) to help the rats get in FG range before the half, Steelers need to eliminate the stupid stuff.

Clevelandsux
11-07-2011, 05:37 PM
I think the ben Int. was the turning point.Terrible play. He did that once before this year vs tennessee. Inexcuseable!.Lucky Suggs didn't return it for a td. What do those plays accomplish? A two yard screen to Ward? wtf?Bruce Arians ball!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
They fortunately recovered from that interception though and drove down the field again. They missed out on a golden opportunity for atleast a FG that would have put this game on ice. In some ways I can see it being the turning point but the defense has no business giving up a 92 yd TD drive in 2 minutes, that was the end all be all.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-07-2011, 06:25 PM
You know what really Tomlin should develop that killer instinct and should have thrown for that first down.....I know they tried a swing pass to Moore on third down but if you don't have faith in your kicker to kick a 45 yard field goal and I don't blame him since Suisham sucks...lol But then throw for the first down on every down then........Put the ball in #7 hands to clinch the game.........

Steelercult
11-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Ok, I read posts about Ben's INT being the turning point in the game. I don't know how in the world you can state this. Ben threw the INT at the Baltimore 25 yard line and what does our so called great D do for our franchise QB? let Baltimore easily march down the field to score 7. But, Ben and the offense turn around and score 14 points to take a 4 point lead with 2 minutes left. What does our great D do? let's the Ravens march 93 yards to score a game winning TD.

The New England game the Steelers offense was actually our best defense. Our offense started the game eating 11 minutes off the clock keeping Brady on the sidelines. They actually did that the whole game. But, our defense got most of the credit for stopping Brady when it was actually the offense that kept Brady on the sidelines where he looked eager and cold.

Finally, TROY? where are you? I think he's making to much dandruff commercials. He has really been invisible, he was nowhere to be found lastnight. He's obviously been losing alot of steps game after game.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2011, 12:20 AM
You can say it was the turning point simply because they didn't get any points out of that drive. If they get even a field goal then the outcome is still in doubt, looking back. That would have put them up by 7, again depending on what happened afterwards with any more points. If you get up by a full TD and even if they do score you go into OT and it's anybody's game.

It may not have ultimately decided the game but it was a pretty big factor.

OOPS!
11-09-2011, 07:09 AM

Wow! Did the Ravens really get away with all those penalties? The Steelers got called on every infraction they made? Assuming of course they had any. When you make a statement listing all those supposed penalties that weren't called you ARE blaming the refs. No intelligent fan blames any loss on the officiating.

steelersgal86
11-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Wow! Did the Ravens really get away with all those penalties? The Steelers got called on every infraction they made? Assuming of course they had any. When you make a statement listing all those supposed penalties that weren't called you ARE blaming the refs. No intelligent fan blames any loss on the officiating.

are you not intelligent enough to read where he said "I am not blaming the refs".. why dont you read it all before you make up your own stuff

OOPS!
11-09-2011, 07:34 AM
are you not intelligent enough to read where he said "I am not blaming the refs".. why dont you read it all before you make up your own stuff

Are you not intelligent enough to read what I said? "When you make a statement listing all those supposed penalties that weren't called you ARE blaming the refs." Reading and comprehension not a strong suit of yours?

SteelDad
11-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Are you not intelligent enough to read what I said? "When you make a statement listing all those supposed penalties that weren't called you ARE blaming the refs." Reading and comprehension not a strong suit of yours?

If you want to come on SA and have an intelligent conversation then we're all for it. Otherwise, don't bother. Baltimore is clearly a better team than the Steelers, can't argue that for a second. If you go back and read my comments, I spoke in large detail about the failures of our team. I mentioned the officiating as being poor as I have done in games we have won. You can't tell me that you wouldn't have been livid about the helmet-to-helmet hits had the roles been reversed. Clark's penalty, which was rightfully flagged, cost us three points. Lewis' hit was not penalized and cost us points as well. Watch the tape. You have to take your shoes off to count how many times DBs were grabbing our receivers. Doesn't matter in the final equation though. Ravens executed better and won the game.

MattyVfromCT
11-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Gotta love trolls who show up AFTER the fact......

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

SteelDad
11-09-2011, 07:51 AM

Typical...

OOPS!
11-09-2011, 08:08 AM
If you want to come on SA and have an intelligent conversation then we're all for it. Otherwise, don't bother. Baltimore is clearly a better team than the Steelers, can't argue that for a second. If you go back and read my comments, I spoke in large detail about the failures of our team. I mentioned the officiating as being poor as I have done in games we have won. You can't tell me that you wouldn't have been livid about the helmet-to-helmet hits had the roles been reversed. Clark's penalty, which was rightfully flagged, cost us three points. Lewis' hit was not penalized and cost us points as well. Watch the tape. You have to take your shoes off to count how many times DBs were grabbing our receivers. Doesn't matter in the final equation though. Ravens executed better and won the game.

I make no claims on who is the better team, nor do I praise or put down one or the other. Every fan thinks their team gets all the calls against them. I am going to tell you I don't get livid about calls, good or bad. They are a part of the game as much as a missed tackle or a dropped ball.

--- Added 11/9/2011 at 07:08 AM ---

Hatred? Really? How sad.

SteelDad
11-09-2011, 08:33 AM
I make no claims on who is the better team, nor do I praise or put down one or the other. Every fan thinks their team gets all the calls against them. I am going to tell you I don't get livid about calls, good or bad. They are a part of the game as much as a missed tackle or a dropped ball.

Hatred? Really? How sad.

Kudos to you for your ability to stay regulated during the game. You're absolutely correct about calls being part of the game like missed tackles and dropped balls, but unfortunately when you have the type calls or non-calls such as were in this game, it stands out. Again, not blaming the officials for the outcome. Good teams overcome that much like we did last year, but there were some questionable situations Sunday night and I'll leave it at that.

LatrobePA
11-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Hatred? Really? How sad.

Get to school little boy..

OOPS!
11-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Kudos to you for your ability to stay regulated during the game. You're absolutely correct about calls being part of the game like missed tackles and dropped balls, but unfortunately when you have the type calls or non-calls such as were in this game, it stands out. Again, not blaming the officials for the outcome. Good teams overcome that much like we did last year, but there were some questionable situations Sunday night and I'll leave it at that.

And there always is, on both sides.

--- Added 11/9/2011 at 08:54 AM ---

Get to school little boy..

That your best shot? Even sadder. LOL

LatrobePA
11-09-2011, 10:17 AM
--- Added 11/9/2011 at 08:54 AM ---

I thought it was decent, lol

steelersbabex25
11-09-2011, 10:18 AM

It was, Latrobe. Don't worry about it. :lol:

steelersgal86
11-09-2011, 10:21 AM

I liked it :dunno: :grin1:

SnakeEyes43
11-09-2011, 10:41 AM

Your not even worth Latrobe's best shot. Now go back to your troll-hole that you've been hiding in the last four years. No one cares what you think or have to say.

LatrobePA
11-09-2011, 11:08 AM
It was, Latrobe. Don't worry about it. :lol:

LOL, thanks...

OOPS!
11-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Your not even worth Latrobe's best shot. Now go back to your troll-hole that you've been hiding in the last four years. No one cares what you think or have to say.

You cared enough to respond. Again, not a good response but a response none the less. LOL

LatrobePA
11-09-2011, 03:25 PM
You cared enough to respond. Again, not a good response but a response none the less. LOL

Thanks, that means the world to me...

Goodfrom55
11-09-2011, 03:35 PM
One thing that has gone largely ignored is Ben underthrew an open Mike Wallace AGAIN!
Getting tired of seeing this; happening way too much for my taste.