PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin admits the botched FG attempt was his fault

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 01:05 AM
On his post game presser Tomlin said he was leary of sending out the field goal unit with having a new holder and ended up sending them out late. By then it was too late and they got the 5 yd delay of game.

Personally it should have been a no brainer to punt it and pin them deep. I have no confidence in Suisham from 47 yds out with the game on the line. You miss that and they get the ball near mid field with 2 minutes to go and atleast 1 timeout. I was screaming for them to play the field position game at this point. You bank on your defense to be able to hold them in a situation like that.

In retrospect the defense wouldn't have held them anyways but I would take our chances making them drive 90 yds anyday over just having to defend 50 yds.

SteelCityVoice
11-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Maybe if they only had to go 50 we would have time left to mount our own comeback.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 01:15 AM
If I wasn't so irritated with this team right now I'd probably laugh at that one bro.

I understand that Tomlin wants to get the 3 points and put this game out of reach, atleast forcing a tie and into overtime if they do score. Honestly though, I was not wanting any parts of Suisham out there in that situation.

Steelers_All_Day_43
11-07-2011, 01:16 AM
I wanted the FG attempt. If we make it were up 7. If we miss, they score a TD and we still have some time to do sumthing

steelchamp204
11-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Maybe Tomlin can get a kicker to maybe kick some balls out of the endzone for some touchbacks also.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 01:26 AM
The fact that Tomlin was second guessing himself tells you that it's time for a new kicker. There's no way you should have that little confidence in your kicker, even at Heinz where it's hard to kick long you want to think your guy can make a 47 yd kick to seal the win.

NYCsteelersfan
11-07-2011, 01:31 AM
The fact that Tomlin was second guessing himself tells you that it's time for a new kicker. There's no way you should have that little confidence in your kicker, even at Heinz where it's hard to kick long you want to think your guy can make a 47 yd kick to seal the win.

Or it tells you that it's time for a new coach. He knows who the kicker is before the game starts. If he doesn't trust his kicker to kick field goals longer than 40 yards, then he should either get a new kicker or plan his offense accordingly.

MattyVfromCT
11-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Or it tells you that it's time for a new coach. He knows who the kicker is before the game starts. If he doesn't trust his kicker to kick field goals longer than 40 yards, then he should either get a new kicker or plan his offense accordingly.

honestly though, what kicker are we getting at this point in the season? anyone worth a **** has a job

NYCsteelersfan
11-07-2011, 01:46 AM
honestly though, what kicker are we getting at this point in the season? anyone worth a **** has a job

I prefer trying someone who hasn't proven to be $hit yet, rather than someone who has proven that he is $hit. That's just me.

BR7
11-07-2011, 01:47 AM
No way Sushi makes that kick. I'd have just as good of a chance making it. I didn't mind the delay of game/punt. I had faith the D would keep a 92 yard drive from happening.

I understand the kick and miss would give them a shorter field wich may or may not have given us time to score. I still think it played to our strength, but the D didn't get it done.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Listening to cooler talk after the game, apparently Starks said that they were going to kick the FG but they didn't realize the playclock had reset already. So there you have 2 different stories.

Tomlin was second guessing the FG kicking ability of Suisham and in the mean time wasn't paying attention to the play clock. That's a tough position to be in but as the coach you have to make the call in a split second but you always know what the play clock is doing.

Raleigh Steel
11-07-2011, 05:57 AM
i know i'm playing monday morning QB here...and hindsight is 20/20...but the steelers should have run the ball on 3rd down.
a) 5 yards was not out of the question to pick up the first down
b) even if we don't get the 1st, we force the ravens to burn their 3rd T.O. or it runs down to the 2 minute warning.
c) could have gotten the ball placed in the middle of the field, and/or gotten a least a little closer for a FG

the team botched the entire final 4 minutes...offense, defense, and special teams.

time to flush this one and move on to the bengals. because this one, believe it or not, is an even more "must win" than the ravens game was last night.

SteelDad
11-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Head meet nail.:clap:

Troyisabeast_43
11-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I didnt have a problem with not going for the FG there and pinning the Ravens back and make them go 92 yards on the road with 1 timeout and knowing the history of Flacco not coming through. With that being said, I agree with you guys Matt and Marc if you have that little confidence in Suisham to make a 47-48 yard FG to ice the game more or less then maybe it's time to start looking for a new kicker...

LatrobePA
11-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Hey Tomlin, 2 time outs B4 half and no icing the kicker on a long FG attempt?

WTF?

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I really wanted to believe is this guy. Man I got doubts.

--- Added 11/7/2011 at 09:25 AM ---

I didnt have a problem with not going for the FG there and pinning the Ravens back and make them go 92 yards on the road with 1 timeout and knowing the history of Flacco not coming through. With that being said, I agree with you guys Matt and Marc if you have that little confidence in Suisham to make a 47-48 yard FG to ice the game more or less then maybe it's time to start looking for a new kicker...

That fn time has come and gone a few games back. Just sayin.

Rampage
11-07-2011, 12:40 PM
During the game, I actually thought the delay of game was on purpose. I was wondering if the team thought Suisham would miss it and wanted more room for Kapinos.

NYCsteelersfan
11-07-2011, 10:50 PM
During the game, I actually thought the delay of game was on purpose. I was wondering if the team thought Suisham would miss it and wanted more room for Kapinos.

That's what it seemed like to me as well.

SteelerCountry58
11-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Tomlin should second guess himself on a variety of situations
in that game. The Suisham b.s. is a no brainer. We all know he
is a liability beyond 30 yds. You can't have a playoff caliber team
with a shaky kicker when a tight game is on the line.
At this point in the year are we stuck with him? Hmmm... I don't
know,I think I'd take my chances on a stronger legged unknown.
Who the hell is Suisham anyway. F him. Let's move on.

Clevelandsux
11-08-2011, 06:46 PM
They should have punted anyway. Too far for Suisham.

CoachC
11-08-2011, 09:42 PM
I get so frustrated with our damn kickers. I just have no tolerance for kickers who can't make FG's... they have ONE job! We need to get ourselves a good one and hold onto him. Suisham isn't it...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2011, 06:24 PM
If this situation comes up again and it's an iffy call where the FG is say 45 yds or more, I'll be anxious to see what Tomlin does.

Plus you wonder how many more misses they'll tolerate from Suisham before they pull the trigger on him.