PDA

View Full Version : So much for the Will Gay resurrection

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Rule #1 when you have the lead late in the game, never let anyone behind you. The secondary let Bouldin and Smith behind almost the entire drive. He was picked on all day long, out of position all day long, couldn't make the play to save his life.

Stairwayto7
11-06-2011, 11:55 PM
He is a descent backup and nickelback, but starting cb???

steelchamp204
11-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Please dont go there with the last play of the game. Clark should have been over the top helping.

Diehardsteel
11-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Please dont go there with the last play of the game. Clark should have been over the top helping.

Gay doesn't get a pass because his backup wasn't there. Sorry.

SteelCityVoice
11-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Gay ****ing sucks...

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Gay had a bad game but there were 10 other STEELERS on the field during that drive...

steelersbabex25
11-07-2011, 12:06 AM
I wanted him to do well, I really did. But he showed his true colors once again, on that last drive of the game, especially. Putting him on Boldin with no help for as many times as he was though, was a major brain fart on the part of Dick LeBeau.

SteelCityVoice
11-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Hell the Ravens dropped a bunch of passes that Gay was covering too.

mcfly06
11-07-2011, 12:08 AM

i agree but still gay should of done a better job covering he got picked on all night,im sorry i dont see him as a starter...

steelchamp204
11-07-2011, 12:09 AM
I dont think gay was the only reason why joe coverted 13 or so 3rd downs. Wait its all on Gay >.>

Diehardsteel
11-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Gay had a bad game but there were 10 other STEELERS on the field during that drive...

Yeah but that man wasn't their man. That was gays man. His blown coverage. I don't care if there's no pass rush, that doesn't mean gay and clark are void from doing their job. Ike got burned as well. It's not all on gay but he didn't help. He didn't do his job when it counted. I'd rather see Cortez allen make that mistake than him.

steelersbabex25
11-07-2011, 12:10 AM
I dont think gay was the only reason why joe coverted 13 or so 3rd downs. Wait its all on Gay >.>

No, but he was by far the weak link on that last drive. I don't know the exact percentage, but I wanna say for 75% of Flacco's completed passes on the final drive, it was Gay on coverage, which pretty much tells you one thing. Everyone else was doing their jobs, and Gay screwed up.

Steelers_All_Day_43
11-07-2011, 12:25 AM
It doesn't matter that RC wasn't in position. Gay interfered and the ball was gonna be placed at the 2 ne way

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 01:07 AM

No it's not on all on Will Gay, you can blame Clark and Taylor as well. Troy was the only one in the secondary that really had a solid night. Even he though was questionably out of position on the one play where Taylor was beaten deep and Smith couldn't hang on to the deep pass.

Gay has had a good year, we can agree on that, but when it comes down to big games like this you expect your play makers to make plays and tonight he didn't.

JensK
11-07-2011, 07:41 AM
The touchdown at least was on Clark all the way. You just don't line a CB up against a really fast WR without having some sort of over the top help in that situation. I mean, its not even like they tried to do anything fancy on the play. He ran straight down the sideline and caught the ball and Clark was not even remotely close to help him. Gay had as good coverage on that play as you could expect.

steelersbabex25
11-07-2011, 08:50 AM
The touchdown at least was on Clark all the way. You just don't line a CB up against a really fast WR without having some sort of over the top help in that situation. I mean, its not even like they tried to do anything fancy on the play. He ran straight down the sideline and caught the ball and Clark was not even remotely close to help him. Gay had as good coverage on that play as you could expect.

The touchdown was not all on Gay, and I maintain that Torrey Smith got away with a huge push off that went in the favor of the offense and not the defense. However, Gay allowed what should have been a touchdown before that, and I wanna say 3 or 4 other first downs on that drive to Boldin.

Why he was even matched up one on one with Boldin in the first place? I don't know.

LatrobePA
11-07-2011, 10:06 AM
14 of 21 on 3rd downs... You'll lose everytime!

Rampage
11-07-2011, 11:35 AM
He played the game he played versus New England last season. Very poor performance from the secondary as a whole right after we started to commend them. They made Flacco look like Brady.

DesertSteeler
11-07-2011, 01:33 PM
True, but I think the refs could've called offsetting penalties on that pass. Gay was pushing and shoving (no more than Revis does on every play, though) but the receiver shoved him pretty hard to get separation, and you could plainly see almost full extension of his arm. That is almost always going to be called Offensive PI when the official is right there.

It doesn't matter that RC wasn't in position. Gay interfered and the ball was gonna be placed at the 2 ne way

LatrobePA
11-07-2011, 01:39 PM
True, but I think the refs could've called offsetting penalties on that pass. Gay was pushing and shoving (no more than Revis does on every play, though) but the receiver shoved him pretty hard to get separation, and you could plainly see almost full extension of his arm. That is almost always going to be called Offensive PI when the official is right there.

You're 100% right... Should of been called on both players not one, that was horrid!

Goodfrom55
11-07-2011, 01:56 PM
The sooner we get this diarreah out our system the better. Let's move on to what is now a huge game - the Cincinnati Bengals.

Gay had a rough night, CLark took a bad angle on the play, refs were questionable all night (Ray Lewis hit on Hines, CLarks hit) (PI on Ike, AB being mugged in end zone - nothing), but when you allow a team to convert 14/21 on 3rd down, you're playing with fire. That is the #1 stat that needs to be addresses. Yes, Woody and Farrior were out, but Foote and Worilds played OK. Wish to hell that Foote could have coralled that tipped pass at mid-field on the final drive, but I wish for a lot of things.

Overall, not worried. Had the Steelers been blown out again, I would be. We'll see them again and next time, the Steelers will win when it counts - in the playoffs.

Next up, Cincy.

Iron Paul
11-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Rule #1 when you have the lead late in the game, never let anyone behind you. The secondary let Bouldin and Smith behind almost the entire drive. He was picked on all day long, out of position all day long, couldn't make the play to save his life.
When we initially picked Gay in the draft, I thought he would be a real asset. Unfortunately this is not so and the league knows this and he is constantly toast. We need to get rid of him and in the next draft, pick up some DBs that can do the job. I am also not impressed by Taylor who everyone seems to love. He is getting beat more often than not.

LatrobePA
11-07-2011, 03:58 PM
After half Harbaugh said they were going to go after our corners I guess he meant Gay...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 04:13 PM
When we initially picked Gay in the draft, I thought he would be a real asset. Unfortunately this is not so and the league knows this and he is constantly toast. We need to get rid of him and in the next draft, pick up some DBs that can do the job. I am also not impressed by Taylor who everyone seems to love. He is getting beat more often than not.

I don't have an issue with how Gay has played for most of the year, one could argue he's having a pro bowl type season. However last night he was beaten repeatedly but thanks to the Ravens receivers dropping passes it won't go down in the record books as anything other than just an incomplete. We should expect to see a different Ike Taylor this week, the one that we're used to seeing in the past.

Gay though, as much as we rag on him here and myself included, I'm not ready to say he's going to regress back to last season. Let's see how he recovers this weekend vs the Bengals. Now if he gets beaten by a rookie QB then yeah there's cause for concern again.

steelersbabex25
11-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't have an issue with how Gay has played for most of the year, one could argue he's having a pro bowl type season. However last night he was beaten repeatedly but thanks to the Ravens receivers dropping passes it won't go down in the record books as anything other than just an incomplete. We should expect to see a different Ike Taylor this week, the one that we're used to seeing in the past.

A probowl type season? Come on BRC, let's not get ahead of ourselves here :lol:

That being said I don't think he's as bad as everyone is now making it seem. He had a bad drive, maybe a bad game, but so did everyone else in the secondary.