PDA

View Full Version : Worst 3rd down defense I`ve ever seen

Stairwayto7
11-06-2011, 11:50 PM
We could not stop Joe Flacco on 3rd down. Joe frigiin flacco. Are you kidding me! I hate to say it but we deserve to lose this game. Ben sorry you played pretty damn well again, but our defense let you down. Harrison needed some help, no other pressure, other than JH. And Gay if he is the best we have on that side then WTF.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-06-2011, 11:52 PM
I heard the announcers say the rats converted 14 of 21 3rd downs and how ridiculously impressive that is. I am in shock the steeler D melted down like this. :evilshake:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Ben made one huge mistake that led to a Ravens TD.......But yea the D totally blew it at the end and pretty much stunk the joint up on third down......

Stairwayto7
11-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Yes 14 out of 21 chances, with flacco!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Flacco converted 14-21 3rd downs tonight. Absolutely no excuse to give up 3rd and 8, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 15. Absolutely beyond disgraceful. You simply cannot allow them to move the chains like that. The pressure was getting there some of the time but we missed Woodley tonight regardless of how well Harrison did.

The Secondary was out of position all night long. When you have 3rd downs you cannot allow guys to get behind you or allow them to get a step on you in a crossing pattern without having help from the Safety or Linebacker in the middle. The Ravens continually converted 3rd downs by using the middle of the field. It's been the bane of the Steelers existence for so long now and you thought maybe they started to get it figured out after that performance last week. You play man to man and crowd the middle. It worked last week but this week they were having none of that success in those situations. There were gaping holes in the flat all night long.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Would be nice if Troy would make a big play soon....lol

Scorp
11-07-2011, 12:02 AM
The loss sucks but i'm proud of their performance although it wasn't top notch. The ravens had what it took to beat our steelers and they came to play as always. I applaud both teams for their tireless efforts and don't count the Steelers out just yet.

SteelCityVoice
11-07-2011, 12:03 AM
That Suggs interception was the difference. Totally put the Steelers on their heels the rest of the way.

No killer instinct on the final offensive drive and THEN you take a delay penalty to kill any chance to kick a FG.

Blown timeout on a stupid/useless challenge.

Coaching was great last week, this week...notsomuch.....

Stairwayto7
11-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Our third down defense sucked, our offense looked good again!

--- Added 11/6/2011 at 11:06 PM ---

That Suggs interception was the difference. Totally put the Steelers on their heels the rest of the way.

No killer instinct on the final offensive drive and THEN you take a delay penalty to kill any chance to kick a FG.

Coaching was great last week, this week...notsomuch.....

I was happy about the delay of game if susiham would have missed the fg they would have won earlier

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Lewis didn't have a particularly good game either, none of the secondary did in pass defense on 3rd downs.

the Steelers have had problems in the past with 3rd downs and getting off the field. They rarely have a middle of the road performance on 3rd down. Either they get off the field nearly every time or they have games like tonight where they can't stop anyone. Clark admitted in the post game media talks that the secondary let the team down tonight, clearly on that last touchdown he was out of position and admitted being late in getting there.

Either way giving up that many 3rd downs was just unrecoverable especially late in the game.

LarryNJ
11-07-2011, 05:59 AM
We could not stop Joe Flacco on 3rd down. Joe frigiin flacco. Are you kidding me! I hate to say it but we deserve to lose this game. Ben sorry you played pretty damn well again, but our defense let you down.

Yes 3rd down defense was the number one reason we lost. Ben played well? His interception was something a rookie QB throws. He didn't score a TD until there was about 10 or 12 minutes left. I wouldn't say he played well at all.

OOPS!
11-07-2011, 06:04 AM
The loss sucks but i'm proud of their performance although it wasn't top notch. The ravens had what it took to beat our steelers and they came to play as always. I applaud both teams for their tireless efforts and don't count the Steelers out just yet.

How refreshing to see an intelligent post.

Nolrog
11-07-2011, 06:19 AM
I heard the announcers say the rats converted 14 of 21 3rd downs and how ridiculously impressive that is. I am in shock the steeler D melted down like this. :evilshake:

Yup, it was 14-21. Many of them were long too (over 5 yards) as well. Just horrible defense.

The Steeler playmakers didn't step up and didn't make plays. We used to have a timely INT in a game like that last night, coming down the wire. Where was that? Suggs made one on us when we were driving. Just an embarassment.

steelersbabex25
11-07-2011, 08:46 AM
How refreshing to see an intelligent post.

Yeah, we're all waiting to see one from you.

Stairwayto7
11-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Yes 3rd down defense was the number one reason we lost. Ben played well? His interception was something a rookie QB throws. He didn't score a TD until there was about 10 or 12 minutes left. I wouldn't say he played well at all.

Starting scoring TDs after we went to no huddle and ben was calling plays! Yeah Ben threw a shiatty pick! But come on, his throw on third and 15 and the TD to Wallace, Ben looked pretty sharp!

steelersbabex25
11-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Starting scoring TDs after we went to no huddle and ben was calling plays! Yeah Ben threw a shiatty pick! But come on, his throw on third and 15 and the TD to Wallace, Ben looked pretty sharp!

That TD to Wallace was supposed to be a TD to Brown! Ben got lucky there. Whoever was covering Brown on that play looked to have some pretty good coverage.

I don't know why everyone thinks the offense and Ben played so terrific today. He, once again, looked off his marker to me.

Stairwayto7
11-07-2011, 08:59 AM
That TD to Wallace was supposed to be a TD to Brown! Ben got lucky there. Whoever was covering Brown on that play looked to have some pretty good coverage.

I don't know why everyone thinks the offense and Ben played so terrific today. He, once again, looked off his marker to me.

I thought he started out slow, but ended up strong! Do we know for sure the pass was for Brown??? I know what it looked liked, but did Ben say?

steelersbabex25
11-07-2011, 09:01 AM
I thought he started out slow, but ended up strong! Do we know for sure the pass was for Brown??? I know what it looked liked, but did Ben say?

The pass was 100% for Brown. You don't need to hear anything from Ben, you can just look at the play.

Stairwayto7
11-07-2011, 09:08 AM
The pass was 100% for Brown. You don't need to hear anything from Ben, you can just look at the play.

probably? or for certain?

--- Added 11/7/2011 at 08:08 AM ---

ok ill back off a tad didnt realize he was 20 of 37. still with 330 yards had a solid game and ran for two big first downs.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 11:47 AM
That pass was for Brown, I would say it's pretty clear. Antonio had his receiver beat and he was taking a step forward and ready to catch it and Wallace ran the crossing pattern and catch it. Perhaps he was worried that the defender was going to jump that route and make the INT, we don't know that for sure. You could tell though that AB was little irritated about it.

steelspikes
11-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Ravens' continuous 3rd down conversions was ultimately their key to victory. By keeping Steeler "D" on the field they wore down our defense, setting up the final victorious drive.

Goodfrom55
11-07-2011, 12:50 PM
I think the Steelers looked a lot better playing man coverage and not blitzing as often than they did last night. Too much soft zone, not enough pressure up the middle, and shame on them for allowing 66% of 3rd downs to be converted.

Stairwayto7
11-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I just know it was ugly!

LarryNJ
11-07-2011, 02:57 PM

He also got lucky on 2 tips that Jerricho was able to catch. He was around 50% passing, I wouldn't call that a good game at all. Last week he out played one of the best ever, this week he played like Joe average in the purple.

Iron Paul
11-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Flacco converted 14-21 3rd downs tonight. Absolutely no excuse to give up 3rd and 8, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 15. Absolutely beyond disgraceful. You simply cannot allow them to move the chains like that. The pressure was getting there some of the time but we missed Woodley tonight regardless of how well Harrison did.

The Secondary was out of position all night long. When you have 3rd downs you cannot allow guys to get behind you or allow them to get a step on you in a crossing pattern without having help from the Safety or Linebacker in the middle. The Ravens continually converted 3rd downs by using the middle of the field. It's been the bane of the Steelers existence for so long now and you thought maybe they started to get it figured out after that performance last week. You play man to man and crowd the middle. It worked last week but this week they were having none of that success in those situations. There were gaping holes in the flat all night long.
What third down defense??? It didn't exist at all. There is no excuse for allowing Flacco to continually eat them up on third down! Where was the pass rush other than Harrison? We needed to put Flacco on his butt.

steelersbabex25
11-07-2011, 04:39 PM
He also got lucky on 2 tips that Jerricho was able to catch. He was around 50% passing, I wouldn't call that a good game at all. Last week he out played one of the best ever, this week he played like Joe average in the purple.

Last week he also played against the #32 ranked passing defense in the league. This week he played against the #5 passing defense in the league. Coincidence? I think not. Still waiting for Ben to perform well against solid defenses.

Stairwayto7
11-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Last week he also played against the #32 ranked passing defense in the league. This week he played against the #5 passing defense in the league. Coincidence? I think not. Still waiting for Ben to perform well against solid defenses.

Just dont let the ranking fool you, the ratbirds havent played anyone! Nobody in the AFCN has

Rampage
11-07-2011, 04:47 PM
The corners really didn't show up to this one. 22, 23, 24 or 28, it didn't matter: They weren't good. I just can't tell if it was great execution by the Ravens, poor execution by the corners, a bad defensive plan or a combination thereof.

lloydfan4life
11-07-2011, 04:58 PM
I just want to know how one week you can shut down Tom Brady and the next week you can be eaten alive by Joe 'Friggen' Flacco on third downs all night long. :banging:

Extremely frustrating.... especially living and working among ratbird fans.

Clevelandsux
11-07-2011, 05:29 PM
The defense choked. plain and simple.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Could careless about Ben's stats....Fact remains he put the team in position to win the game up 20-16.....The defense blew it.........Yes his INT was terrible but Ben played well enough for his team to win the game......I just don't know how a genius like LeBeau can come up with a master game plan vs the Pats offense but does nothing creative vs the Ravens......James Harrison is the only one that earned his pay check on defense last night....Troy P. was a ghost basically again.....Sure he makes some nice tackles for losses but no impact or game changing plays all season........

LatrobePA
11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
I agree the offense didn't lose this game, the sucky *** D did!

Harrison was the only bright spot last night...

Stairwayto7
11-07-2011, 06:05 PM
The refs were flag happy last as well, someone let them play football

Goodfrom55
11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
14 converted out of 21 - no excuse. And the worst part is most of those were 3rd and long (more than 6 yards).

Thisoneguy555
11-07-2011, 06:25 PM
The Steelers have not had a great defense since 2008. Remember 2009 the defense were the most unclutch defense ever, they pretty much lost 5 straight games solely on the defense, and it could have been more if Ben wasn't that good.

2010 defense did almost cost the Steelers a lot of games (remember the first Ravens game they blew a touchdown against Flacco). The Steelers should have been something along the lines of 9-7 or 10-6 but they some how prevailed to get to 12-4.
Steelers defense of course hasn't played that well in general this year as well. If the Steelers let up a 92 yard game winning touchdown drive to Flacoo, this team isn't going far at all. LeBeau's defensive play calling during the 2nd half is very questionable.

Steelercult
11-07-2011, 07:03 PM

Coaching was great last week, this week...notsomuch..... How was it the difference? Our offense came back to score 14 unanswered points on those heels that your talking about to take a 4 point lead in the final two minutes, that was until our defense decided to do a total choke job...