PDA

View Full Version : Steelers secondary should be able to handle Ravens receivers

BlitzburghRockCity
11-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Lee Evans is still out with an ankle injury; apparently there's rumors that they were considering placing him on IR.

Anyway that leaves Ike Taylor on Boldin and either Gay or Lewis on Smith all day long. I always like Taylor's chances against the teams best receiver so I'm not too worried about it. Boldin make some catches I'm sure and he had a good day against us in week 1 so I'm sure Ike will want to step up his game even more this week.

Smith just runs go routes, post patterns, stuff down the field so it'll be a track meet all day for Gay & Lewis. As long as they can keep the big plays to a minimum or not allow any at all, they should be fine with him.

The tight ends though, the Steelers are going to have to watch that just like they did last week against the Patriots. Flacco did a good job of hitting Ed Dickson in that game and he scored a TD. Since the Steeler linebackers should look alittle more like normal on Sunday with Timmons back inside with most likely Farrior, and Harrison back, I want to see them play a similar style of keeping the middle of the field in check and for God sakes tackle the ball carrier as soon as he gets his hands on it!

One thing though, if Farrior does come back, Timmons is going to have to be the guy because this year Potsie has had a rough time chasing TE's.

steelersbabex25
11-05-2011, 06:41 PM
If they can handle the Patriots receivers, they'll be able to handle any receiving corps in the NFL.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-05-2011, 08:38 PM
They are getting a good test in these last 2 weeks. Granted the Ravens passing game is nothing spectacular and Flacco isn't exactly Tom Brady but Boldin is a good WR and they can use the short passing game and running game to give Flacco time.

I like our chances man to man against these guys. Playing a similar defense that the Pats use, mixing in secondary blitzes can give Flacco fits. I see some Troy and Will Gay pressure on Sunday night.

steelersbabex25
11-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Analysts on NFL Network were talking about how Flacco has been sucking in these past few games because he's seemed to have given up on surveying the field, both before the snap and during the play. All he does is snap the ball and then look over to the left side where Boldin is for the entire play, and if Boldin is covered, then he's pretty much screwed. That being said, Ike is gonna be on Boldin for the majority of the game tomorrow. So if Flacco continues that way of play, it's gonna be a long day for him.

mwittman5
11-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Ravens are saying their gonna use their TE's more but who cares because Dickson and Pitta aren't as good as Hernandez and Gronkowski.

Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski > Boldin, Dickson, Pitta

and of course: Brady >>>>>>>>>>> Flacco

We got this. :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2011, 12:51 PM
The Ravens went to their TE's a fair amount in week 1 so I suspect they'll try it again. A lot of it will depend on if they can get Rice going. If they do that then Flacco can do some damage. If the Steelers can keep him in check then it will for Flacco to look all over the field and that will give the pass rush time to get there.

As long as the secondary can stick with their guys, and even better make some big pass defenses and hopefully turnovers, they'll get in Flacco's head again.