PDA

View Full Version : Ravens' D is not Pats' D...

SteelDad
11-04-2011, 06:00 PM
The closer we get to the game the more concerned I am over steelernation underestimating the Rats on D. If we believe we will do exactly what we did to New England then I fear we are a bit overconfident.
The Ravens can get much better pressure with 4 and 5 guys than the Pats and while their secondary isnt 'great' it is considerably better than the Pats so be cautious if you think we will be as successful as last week.
Not saying we wont win, but it will more difficult to do so. Arians will need patience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

steelersbabex25
11-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Why are you concerned with Steeler Nation underestimating the Ravens? Not like the coaching staff goes to our forums for advice on how to approach a game.

mwittman5
11-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Short quick passes can still beat the Ravens blitz. There will just be less time to pass then there was against the pats.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2011, 07:45 PM
If Haloti Ngata misses the game its a big blow to their defense.....Ngata always dominates the Steelers and really makes their entire defense special........The Ravens secondary besides Ed Reed isn't anything special........If BA has a good game plan we can pass the ball on the Ratbirds and even score points......

mwittman5
11-04-2011, 07:53 PM
If Haloti Ngata misses the game its a big blow to their defense.....Ngata always dominates the Steelers and really makes their entire defense special........The Ravens secondary besides Ed Reed isn't anything special........If BA has a good game plan we can pass the ball on the Ratbirds and even score points......

He's playing he practiced today. If he's at full strength is probably the only question.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2011, 08:08 PM
He's playing he practiced today. If he's at full strength is probably the only question.

Didn't hear he practiced today....If I'm the Steelers OL I target the wounded area of Ngata...lol

Steelersfan
11-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Why are you concerned with Steeler Nation underestimating the Ravens? Not like the coaching staff goes to our forums for advice on how to approach a game.

Didn't he say in his post why he is concerned?

LarryNJ
11-04-2011, 08:26 PM
The Ravens have the #1 defense, the Pats #32 or something. It's night and day difference. Before game 1 I was over confident, before this game I'm certainly not.

steelersbabex25
11-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Didn't he say in his post why he is concerned?

Not the point I was trying to make. I'll clarify.

What does it matter if the fanbase is over confident? We're not the ones putting together the gameplan and running the practices. If the coaches and players were over confident, then there is cause for concern. But I doubt that they are.

DIESELMAN
11-04-2011, 08:43 PM
The Ravens had a bit of a scare this week when Pro Bowl nose tackle Haloti Ngata (thigh) missed consecutive practices, but he participated in a limited role on Friday and is listed as probable for Sunday's game.

Whether Ngata is 100% or not, he is still a force to be reckoned with, as is Suggs. If our D can take away Rice, theres no one else to worry about, especially not Joe "I squat when I pee" Flacco (I like that Danny, fits his *** perfect)

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

HUNT4SEVEN
11-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Short passes will kill ANY pass rush, most of yaw didn't think we would beat the cheaters, we are going to beat the Rats, mainly because we owe them and secondly because we are on a mission to bring home stair way to seven PT 2 Unfinished business...Since we can play man to man now and get physical with the opponents receiver's It's on!!!Plus i wanna add that Lergursky started in week one Foster will do a way better job blocking as long as we have a RB/TE chipping Suggs especially on 3rd downs we will be ok

mwittman5
11-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Short passes will kill ANY pass rush, most of yaw didn't think we would beat the cheaters, we are going to beat the Rats, mainly because we owe them and secondly because we are on a mission to bring home stair way to seven PT 2 Unfinished business...Since we can play man to man now and get physical with the opponents receiver's It's on!!!Plus i wanna add that Lergursky started in week one Foster will do a way better job blocking as long as we have a RB/TE chipping Suggs especially on 3rd downs we will be ok

Also Gilbert is playing pretty well at RT. He was thrown into the fire week 1 when Colon got hurt.

Clevelandsux
11-05-2011, 10:01 AM
ya and Joe Flacco isn't Tom Brady either.

SteelDad
11-05-2011, 12:12 PM
In regards to the babe's comment...

While I trust that the Steelers' fan base is one of the more football-knowledgeable ones out there, I also know that we can be a bit 'pollyanna' when it comes to our team.

It is not uncommon for SteelerFan to wonder aloud during a game "why arent we doing what we did last week?" There is a reason for that and it is called 'the opponent.'

My thread was simply to make clear to all of us that this is a far cry from what we faced last week. I guarantee someone on the gameday forum will bitch about this exact subject tomorrow night.

And just because we arent the ones in pads doesnt mean we shouldn't over or underestimate the opponent. You know that as well as anyone babe.

JensK
11-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Seeing this is a fan-driven community, we (the fans) can really only talk on our own behalf. I mean, if we did not there would be no need for having a forum where people could voice their opinions. Sure, the coaching staff does not give a flying **** about whether or not people on Steeleraddicts over- or underestimate Ravens in whichever aspect we may discuss, but that could be said about pretty much every single post in here (at least I REALLY REALLY hope so :D)

Black@Gold Forever32
11-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Seeing this is a fan-driven community, we (the fans) can really only talk on our own behalf. I mean, if we did not there would be no need for having a forum where people could voice their opinions. Sure, the coaching staff does not give a flying **** about whether or not people on Steeleraddicts over- or underestimate Ravens in whichever aspect we may discuss, but that could be said about pretty much every single post in here (at least I REALLY REALLY hope so :D)

This...........:banana::banana::banana::banana: well said my friend......

Rampage
11-05-2011, 12:47 PM
I highly doubt any of these players or coaches are underestimating what the Ravens are capable of on defense or offense, for that matter. The Ravens defense kept consistent pressure on Roethlisberger and crew in week one which translated to no success and too many turnovers. Their offense set the tone for the game, dominated the line of scrimmage and made plays every time they had the ball. If anything, I am slightly worried that the Steelers may overestimate the capabilities of the Ravens and go into one of those "play not to lose" plans.

The Ravens definitely are not the Patriots: The Ravens offense relies on the short passing game like the Patriots; however, they do not have the same talent at the QB position which prevents them from being as effective as the Pats. The defense is the complete opposite. They get a ton of pressure and have guys who are capable of covering, or at least capitalizing on poorly thrown balls. Last week, the Steelers dominated the NE defense which helped beat the NE offense. This week, the Steelers cannot give up easy points to the Baltimore offense, because that defense will not be as weak as NE's.

This will be a very interesting game. Baltimore is healthy and they dominated the Steelers in week one, but they are coming off of two very poor performances. The Steelers are getting thin at LB, but they are coming off a huge win and are going to need to do the same this week.

steelersbabex25
11-05-2011, 01:54 PM
In regards to the babe's comment...

While I trust that the Steelers' fan base is one of the more football-knowledgeable ones out there, I also know that we can be a bit 'pollyanna' when it comes to our team.

It is not uncommon for SteelerFan to wonder aloud during a game "why arent we doing what we did last week?" There is a reason for that and it is called 'the opponent.'

My thread was simply to make clear to all of us that this is a far cry from what we faced last week. I guarantee someone on the gameday forum will bitch about this exact subject tomorrow night.

And just because we arent the ones in pads doesnt mean we shouldn't over or underestimate the opponent. You know that as well as anyone babe.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. It was a good post and I agree that as a fanbase we shouldn't be underestimating the Ravens, what I meant was that I don't think the fans feelings should be much cause for concern as far as how the actual game will go.

SteelDad
11-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. It was a good post and I agree that as a fanbase we shouldn't be underestimating the Ravens, what I meant was that I don't think the fans feelings should be much cause for concern as far as how the actual game will go.

No worries. It was probably a thread I could have started on a forum for very average fans. Most here understand completely on a week to week basis.

steelersbabex25
11-05-2011, 02:05 PM
No worries. It was probably a thread I could have started on a forum for very average fans. Most here understand completely on a week to week basis.

:lol: true. <3 SA.

Stairwayto7
11-05-2011, 02:10 PM
ratbirds have a better D????

Rampage
11-05-2011, 02:14 PM
ratbirds have a better D????

Statistically, I would think they have an edge over the Patriots. :lol:

Stairwayto7
11-05-2011, 02:19 PM
This isnt the same offense as the first game either, whats the chances that we will turnover the ball that much again.

Real Deal Steel
11-05-2011, 06:04 PM
If we utilize all our WR's, Ravens can't match up secondary wise. I would love to come out with three step drop passes and frustrate the hell out of the Ravens pass rushers. Then when their a bit tired, hitting them with a seven step drop pass and go deep.

SnakeEyes43
11-05-2011, 06:26 PM
No way we turn the ball over again like week 1. Ben is playing at an incredibly high level, the D is getting back to old from of stopping the run, the secondary is playing great, our receivers are geling and getting more comfortable with the offense, and BA has been calling some good games as of late.

I'm personally a little confident just because I feel like we've been gaining momentum the last few weeks, while they've been losing it. We'll see, anything can happen, but I feel like we are a completely different team than the one they played week 1. A lot of problems have been fixed, or at least patched up (Starks).

On a side note, I'm sooo effin pumped for this game.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Definitely no way we have that many turnovers this week, Ben has been outstanding at taking care of the ball over the last month and half. They still have to watch out for Ed Reed though, he loves to jump those underneath routes. Ben has to be careful to really scan the field when he does drop back. You have to be careful too with the quick routes and watch for the linebacker underneath.

Dobre Shunka
11-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Don't think the Steelers underestimate any opponent, particularly Baltimore.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2011, 01:46 AM
This is what Steeldad was talking about in this thread before, the Ravens defense clearly was able to play better than the Patriots defense and for the first half they really shut down most of what Ben was trying to do with Wallace and Brown.

In the second half Ben was able to find his targets more and guys like Wallace, Brown, Heath, and Cotchery were finding ways to make plays. Credit all around for the offense to come back and score 2 TD's in the second half and really be able to move the ball better.