PDA

View Full Version : Is Roethlisberger having an MVP year?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Drew Brees has the yards, Tom Brady has the reputation, and Aaron Rodgers, well, he probably has the award already locked up.

For Ben Roethlisberger, that's just fine because he's not really interested in all the talk of him being in the running for the NFL MVP award with some of the league's heavyweights midway through the season.

He's more worried about winning.

"I am never about individual stats and numbers," Roethlisberger said. "For me, that has kind of defined my career by just winning football games. For me, that's all that matters. For me, it is so much bigger than that."

Interested or not, Roethlisberger has crept into the conversation.
With the transformation of the Steelers to more of a pass-happy offense coupled with the best four-game stretch of his career, Roethlisberger has maneuvered himself into the league MVP race at the halfway point.

"It is a little too early for talk like that," Roethlisberger said.
Roethlisberger knows his chances of winning the MVP award are remote, unless they take in account "winning games ugly" or as he said walking through the locker room yesterday: "The only way that happens is if Aaron Rodgers breaks his leg."
Even if Rodgers is having an MVP-type year and still has his team undefeated, Roethlisberger's numbers are comparable.

Roethlisberger has three 360-plus-yard games this year, which is the same as Brady and Brees, and one more than Rodgers.

"It is not something we dream about or talk about," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "That would just come as an accolade with the team winning."
Roethlisberger outdueled Brady last week and has another chance to show how's far he's developed into a MVP candidate in front of a national audience Sunday night against the team that's given him the most fits over his career Baltimore.
Roethlisberger had one of the worst games of his career early in the year against his AFC North rivals. He threw three interceptions, fumbled twice and was sacked four times in a 35-7 loss.

"I don't expect to see that again," receiver Mike Wallace said. "He's playing the best I've seen him since I've been here."

After a slow first month, Roethlisberger played some of the best football of his career over the past four weeks.

Roethlisberger has virtually the same attempts, completions and yards in the first four games as he had in the last four. However, he has thrown eight more touchdown passes and three less interceptions. His passer rating was 80.2 after four games, and 110.4 over the past four.

"He is as good as anybody in the National Football League," Baltimore coach Jim Harbaugh said. "He is a great quarterback. He has proved it."
Roethlisberger is on pace for 4,600 yards, and 28 touchdowns, but more importantly to him, the Steelers are on pace for another 12-win season the fourth in Roethlisberger's eight years in the league.

"I am playing OK," Roethlisberger said. "I couldn't tell you about other good stretches I played because I just don't know my numbers. The biggest number for me is winning ..."

With winning comes a better chance of being an MVP.
The last 25 MVPs have played for teams that averaged a 13-3 record. Only one team during that time that produced an MVP with fewer than 10 victories was the 1997 Detroit Lions (9-7).

"They are never going to give it to a guy that puts up huge numbers and doesn't win a game," Roethlisberger said. "If you are playing well and helping your team win, that's important, but to me, it's the ultimate goal. Other than the Super Bowl, that's the ultimate team award."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%27%20Roethlisberger%20shrugs%20off%20MVP% 20talk%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_765450.html#ixzz1chrkB8SR)

steelersbabex25
11-04-2011, 12:19 AM
To Steeler fans, yeah, he could be on his way to an MVP year. But like the writer said, Aaron Rodgers has probably already won.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2011, 12:20 AM
I agree, unless Rogers gets hurt and misses a lot of time I'm sure he's already got this one sewn up. Brady could still have a chance at it.

For Ben though, he's done a tremendous job turning his game around since the rough start. As long as he keeps winning, it doesn't really matter. It's games in January that really count.

steelersbabex25
11-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Yeah, if I were Ben I'd rather have a superbowl ring than an MVP award.

Just like the Caps fans :blah: about all their Presidents' Trophies, they forget that they don't have any Stanley Cups. :lol:

LarryNJ
11-04-2011, 06:09 AM
I like Bens response and yes Rodgers is miles ahead of everyone now. Shady Mcoy is having a hell of a year but the dream team already lost more than 3 games so he's out. :)

Nolrog
11-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Rodgers? Man, I would have figured Flacco was the sure fire winner. :bunny: :nahnah:

HUNT4SEVEN
11-04-2011, 10:54 PM
I like that Ben cares about winning the Superbowl over a MVP award, i'm sure he would like to win it though, also everyone who plays the game would Luv all the awards they can accomplish through out there careers,but ultimately everyone plays to be a Superbowl champion...:tt02::tt02:

Stairwayto7
11-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Steelers MVP Yes! the first couple games especially the first one killed his overall stats. but we have 8 games to go! Besides only the rings matter!

JensK
11-05-2011, 04:31 PM
As already stated... Ben would probably be having an MVP like year had it not been for Rodgers who is pretty much a lock right now.