PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark fined 15K for hit vs Patriots

BlitzburghRockCity
11-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Here's a new twist to an old story: Another Steelers player was fined this week, and not only did he agree with the fine, he believes the NFL is doing the right thing.

That player also happens to be safety Ryan Clark, who in the past has been an outspoken critic of fines levied on the Steelers by the NFL. Clark, the team's representative to the NFL Players Association, was fined $15,000 for a hit out of bounds on New England tight end Rob Gronkowski in the third quarter Sunday at Heinz Field.
"It's part of the rules, though, man," Clark said today. "If you get a personal foul, they've been fining for that. I have to be smarter in that sense and not put myself in that position."

Clark joins many other teammates who have been fined this season for various infractions, including Chris Kemoeatu who had a double-whammy the week before for two penalties, a personal foul and hands to the face that cost him $25,000. Kemoeatu also was caught for another foul for hands to the face against the Patriots, but he was not fined for that, perhaps because he said he pulled off this time.

"You have to understand that if they see something that they feel is outside the rules, you're going to get a fine for it," Clark said. "That's just the way the game is going. They're really setting high standards for fair play, and they're also setting high standards for player safety. That's something that we as players want to implement.
"They're being pro-active in that approach so we have to find ways to make sure we play within those guidelines."
From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11307/1187279-100.stm#ixzz1cfnpt9Eh)

Stairwayto7
11-03-2011, 05:08 PM
He deserved that one!Sorry!

steelersbabex25
11-03-2011, 05:10 PM
:wtf: Is this "personal foul" penalty that they're referring to the one where he hit Gronk when he was still actually inbounds but they threw the flag anyway?

MattyVfromCT
11-03-2011, 05:16 PM
:wtf: Is this "personal foul" penalty that they're referring to the one where he hit Gronk when he was still actually inbounds but they threw the flag anyway?

He was out of bounds and a helmet to helmet hit. Late flag but an obvious penalty

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Stairwayto7
11-03-2011, 05:26 PM
I thought he was way out also, the paly was over

jwmann2
11-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Shouldn't the only penalty be the penalty on the field? Why a fine?
That's like getting fined for a facemask that happened on the field. This is getting out of hand.

Mike Tomlin
11-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm surprised they didn't fine him for that hit on Green-Ellis now that was helmet to helmet , he shouldn't have been fined for that late hit just flagged. I mean he down right hit that guy in the mouth with the crown of his helmet lol. Just proves that the NFL could care less about player safety. That's probably why Clarks not complaining.

steelersbabex25
11-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Does someone want to find me a video of this hit? I mean, I guess since I was there I could have missed it, but I don't remember this at all.

Diehardsteel
11-03-2011, 06:00 PM
On the television it looked to me like Gronk was fighting to stay in bounds. I need to go back and try to find it. It's now a "who's going to get fined this week?" type of league. Ridiculous.

steelersbabex25
11-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah..from what I remember he was tip toeing on the sidelines.

Stairwayto7
11-03-2011, 06:17 PM
i thought gay shoved him out thrn gay lrt up and clark came out of nowhere. I remember ryan and i instantly said that will be a flag and a fine

JensK
11-03-2011, 06:43 PM
I have access to all the games in HD (the joy of living outside of the states :) ), and I can go back and find it for you if you want? I can tell you though, he was out when Clark hit him so the penalty was warrented. I guess the fine is as well compared to how they have been handled the last couple of seasons; He hit a TE out of bounds, leading with his helmet, as he was going to the ground. Its pretty much as wrong as it gets. That said, there was really nothing wild or malicious about the tackle as such. The one Clark made later in the game on idontrememberwho was much harder and most probably hurt a whole lot more.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-03-2011, 06:57 PM
The stadium went nuts when they threw the flag on Clark. Initially it looked like he wasn't completely out of bounds yet when Ryan gave him a shove. After the review we still didn't like it but it is what it is.

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness

steelersbabex25
11-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm not denying that it happened. I just don't recall it happening. But like I said, I didn't have a very good view of the play so I don't know.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-03-2011, 08:14 PM
He was out of bounds and it was a bad play on Clarks part he has to be smarter than that, the owners agreed to pay for the past players health insurance and this is how it is gonna get paid through the players, What's more shocking to me is that this is the 10th player fined on our team,look for more fines this Sunday night...

Mike Tomlin
11-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah..from what I remember he was tip toeing on the sidelines.

Yeah Clark was a tad bit late but it wasn't like it was a cheapshot. I think Lewis pushed him out and Clark hit him about a second late

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-04-2011, 12:10 AM
It's interesting that he says they are worried about players safety but they still allow chop blocking...

lloydfan4life
11-04-2011, 12:18 AM
I agree that the flag was warranted on Clark on that play, but the fining of players is seriously out of hand.