PDA

View Full Version : Kudos for Kugler

SteelDad
11-03-2011, 02:49 PM
From SI.com's Don Banks....

ASSISTANT COACH OF THE YEAR: Sean Kugler, Pittsburgh offensive line coach: Kugler is doing superb work once again despite a bevy of injuries to deal with, just as he did last season when the Steelers' injury-decimated offensive line still managed to hold together long enough for the team's run to the Super Bowl.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/11/03/midseason.report/index.html#ixzz1cfKtMXRA

steelchamp204
11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Carnell Lake=D Backs coach of the year.

K Train
11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
i dont buy this at all, i dont think hes that good....so overrated and gets credit for making "something out of nothing" but last year he had plenty of something with starks, kemo, pouncey <3, (insert variable RG), and flo

this year he actually had 3-4 nothings with scott (a huge nothing), kemo, legs, and foster and then a stud in pouncey and an unknown in gilbert and he didnt do **** with them until starks came back and realistically the offensive line isnt even playing that good...ben is just in beast mode and can brush off the beating they make him endure.

the ability to make something out of nothing is misleading, and this has followed him since buffalo...but ive seen him work with nothing (except pouncey) as as expected it wasnt pretty. He was so sure he could make a player out of scott and legs...and now they ride the bench right where they belong.

carnell lake on the other hand has worked brilliance with players that had their heads on the chopping block

steelchamp204
11-03-2011, 03:12 PM
i dont buy this at all, i dont think hes that good....so overrated and gets credit for making "something out of nothing" but last year he had plenty of something with starks, kemo, pouncey <3, (insert variable RG), and flo

this year he actually had 3-4 nothings with scott (a huge nothing), kemo, legs, and foster and then a stud in pouncey and an unknown in gilbert and he didnt do **** with them until starks came back and realistically the offensive line isnt even playing that good...ben is just in beast mode and can brush off the beating they make him endure.

the ability to make something out of nothing is misleading, and this has followed him since buffalo...but ive seen him work with nothing (except pouncey) as as expected it wasnt pretty. He was so sure he could make a player out of scott and legs...and now they ride the bench right where they belong.

carnell lake on the other hand has worked brilliance with players that had their heads on the chopping block

Seriously, are you ever happy with anything. The line has been improving drastically over the past 4 weeks if you havent seen. Legs was doing good at guard before he got hurt. Maybe he has busted his *** working with them, why does it all fall on the Oline coach. He can only do so much with what hes got talent wise. Maybe you should be looking at the coach or office as to why we drafted so many DUDS for the offensive line. The line is only getting better week by week. Also if Ben gets sacked, thats not ALL on the O-line. He does hold onto the ball for a long period of time and when he doesnt get the oepn receiver he gets sacked. He hardly ever throws the ball out of bounds. Plus when BA isnt calling a great game and wants everything thrown deep down field. You cant expect your line to block Ben for5-8 seconds time and time again. Maybe there not the best run blocking team(which is why your downing coach K, cause Mendy isnt having the greatest of times running) but they sure hell are pass blocking alot better.

Maybe you need to start seeing the glass half full rather than the glass half empty picture more.:grin1:

It could be worse. We could have the Bears OL.

K Train
11-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Seriously, are you ever happy with anything. The line has been improving drastically over the past 4 weeks if you havent seen. Legs was doing good at guard before he got hurt. Maybe he has busted his *** working with them, why does it all fall on the Oline coach. He can only do so much with what hes got talent wise. Maybe you should be looking at the coach or office as to why we drafted so many DUDS for the offensive line. The line is only getting better week by week. Also if Ben gets sacked, thats not ALL on the O-line. He does hold onto the ball for a long period of time and when he doesnt get the oepn receiver he gets sacked. He hardly ever throws the ball out of bounds. Plus when BA isnt calling a great game and wants everything thrown deep down field. You cant expect your line to block Ben for5-8 seconds time and time again. Maybe there not the best run blocking team(which is why your downing coach K, cause Mendy isnt having the greatest of times running) but they sure hell are pass blocking alot better.

Maybe you need to start seeing the glass half full rather than the glass half empty picture more.:grin1:
It could be worse. We could have the Bears OL.

Im responding to bold

1) No way lol

2) No no i completely fault the front office and tomlin and cowher for guys like Urbik, Stephenson, Essex, Hills (who we should have kept this year), Stapleton, Shipley, Okobi, Mahan, Hartwig, and any other misfit that has been a starting lineman for us or a drafted player that was so terrible they never got to see the roster....i just think that Kugler is being given too much credit here, cause while they have improved they improved at the hands of max starks (NEVER THOUGHT ID SAY THAT)...he was so hell bent on turning Scott into a player he brought him over from buffalo to fail here as well. And theres no way legs should be starting over hills and foster, that was a wrong move...i like legs, and he does ok in spot duty but he was named day 1 starter, thats not his game.

They are better pass blocking players, when it was smith, faneca, hartings, simmons, starks those are all dominate run blockers, these guys are more in the middle but definitely lean a little more to the pass blocking side (except kemo who never successfully pass blocks) which is good since we pass the ball alot...they do get blown up in run blocking an awful lot though

When the glass is half empty the steelers surprise you, when its half full you break remotes at the disappointment. Imo Kugler is overrated....in 2 years, one with good players and one with bad players he made a good oline and a bad oline, pretty much like any qualified oline coach would do i just dont get the idea of him making something out of nothing with these guys and i hear that about him a lot.

steelchamp204
11-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Im responding to bold

1) No way lol

2) No no i completely fault the front office and tomlin and cowher for guys like Urbik, Stephenson, Essex, Hills (who we should have kept this year), Stapleton, Shipley, Okobi, Mahan, Hartwig, and any other misfit that has been a starting lineman for us or a drafted player that was so terrible they never got to see the roster....i just think that Kugler is being given too much credit here, cause while they have improved they improved at the hands of max starks (NEVER THOUGHT ID SAY THAT)...he was so hell bent on turning Scott into a player he brought him over from buffalo to fail here as well. And theres no way legs should be starting over hills and foster, that was a wrong move...i like legs, and he does ok in spot duty but he was named day 1 starter, thats not his game.

They are better pass blocking players, when it was smith, faneca, hartings, simmons, starks those are all dominate run blockers, these guys are more in the middle but definitely lean a little more to the pass blocking side (except kemo who never successfully pass blocks) which is good since we pass the ball alot...they do get blown up in run blocking an awful lot though

When the glass is half empty the steelers surprise you, when its half full you break remotes at the disappointment. Imo Kugler is overrated....in 2 years, one with good players and one with bad players he made a good oline and a bad oline, pretty much like any qualified oline coach would do i just dont get the idea of him making something out of nothing with these guys and i hear that about him a lot.

Give him another season and we will come back to this thread. 3 years is fair enough to judge. If they still suck balls then you are right, Ill own up to it. But give the guy one more season :tt02:

SteelDad
11-03-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't think it's that he makes the OL so much better, I think it has more to do with the fact that he can get guys prepared to play multiple positions in pretty quick order. I too find fault with Colbert and Tomlin over the OL, but given the fact Kugler has been given lemons, he has at least made some decent lemonade.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Last year Kemo went down and was gone for the season, Flo did great, Foster did well, Kemo was in and out and Pouncey although very good was still a rookie and was lost in the playoffs.

I would say considering the musical chairs that he dealt with last year, getting guys like Legursky ready to play and step in every week is pretty impressive.

This year he's had it even worse with personnel. Injuries, Starks and Flo gone, then Starks back, then everybody hurt. I'd say he deserves a pretty good amount of credit for keeping this unit together to the degree that he has been able to so far.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-03-2011, 08:03 PM

:clap::clap::clap: Thank u well said i agree 100% our DB's were horrible with the exception of Ike but now he has them in proper position Carnell get's my vote :tt02:

carnell lake on the other hand has worked brilliance with players that had their heads on the chopping block[/QUOTE]

HUNT4SEVEN
11-04-2011, 11:26 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_765484.html great read,obviously Lake has done the most with the least...