PDA

View Full Version : How much of a "must win" is this game for the Steelers?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-03-2011, 12:29 AM
IMO, there is absolutely no question about it, this a must win game. If there is such a thing at this point in the season for a team that's 6-2, this is it. Any hopes of winning the AFC North hinge on the Steelers beating the Ravens this weekend.

Win this game and win next weekend at the Bengals and you set yourself up perfectly for the stretch run of very winnable games the rest of the way out. It all starts on Sunday though. I don't care who's healthy, who's out, who plays where you absolutely must win this game. Beating the Patriots was great, a huge confidence boost and a big win within the conference. That will be nice to have in your hip pocket later in the season but you have to split the Ravens games because their schedule is about as easy as ours is the rest of the way out.

I don't care what anyone says I'm still not sold on the Bengals. They've had a cake schedule so far. Their defense is playing very good, no question about it. Their offense though doesn't scare anyone in the AFC North overall.

SteelCityVoice
11-03-2011, 01:37 AM
It's not a MUST win game, but it would really give the Steelers an advantage over Baltimore in the race for the division. I'm still not convinced the Ravens are strong enough to compete for the playoffs based on what I've seen the last month or so out of their offense.

Of course we were saying a lot of the same about the Steelers early in the year.

Right now it's a 3-way race for the division until we prove Cincy is a bunch of flukes.

coldrolled
11-03-2011, 08:59 AM
We have to win... We need to be top seed this year.

LatrobePA
11-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Gotta win all the way! Silent the critics and stay a top the AFC...

Raleigh Steel
11-03-2011, 09:50 AM
hate to say it but it is a MUST WIN. especially because of the way we lost the first one. a win goes a long way, more than just record in the division...the mental aspect creeps into their minds as well.

Blazedby92
11-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Is this a really a question? Hell yeah
Lead the division
Take back what they took away week 1

ejsteeler
11-03-2011, 10:47 AM
I believe it is a must win for the division crown but obviously too early to say it is a must win to make the post season.

K Train
11-03-2011, 10:59 AM
not a must win, i just dont think the ravens are going to finish strong enough to make it a must win.

however it would be an awesome win and provide some security just sitting on top of the AFC by themselves...who knew right? after a dismal 2-2 start and pathetic attempts of playing football that they could potentially slay the mighty patriots and ravens backl to back weeks and take control of the AFC

Stairwayto7
11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
I feel like it is, but I think our best days are still ahead of us once everyone is healthy!

mwittman5
11-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Not a must win for playoffs. A must win if we want the division. Ravens will go 12-4 at worst if they win this week.

SteelDad
11-03-2011, 12:12 PM
The way I view it is that even if we lose this game, I have no problem with us going into Baltimore and beating them there in the playoffs. I say this with the understanding that Harrison, Woodley and co. are back and a little healthier.

With all this said, as long Arians doesn't over think things, we will win this game Sunday. I have total confidence that we will find ways to pressure Flacco and limit Rice.

RW76
11-03-2011, 12:15 PM
This game is a must-win. With this win, Pitt will solidify themselves as the best team in the AFC (http://thexlog.com/201111030636/xtra-point-football/nfl/afc-power-rankings-week-9/)- Better than NE and better than Balt.

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-03-2011, 12:39 PM
A must win to seal the North (I want to be careful with that) and stand the RAGINGS up against the wall you red neck mother. Excuse me, got carried away again.

coldrolled
11-03-2011, 12:40 PM
The NFL needs to start the nfl season games with opponents playing other opponents in different conferences or divisions... maybe even game 2. No inter divisional games in Game 1 or 2. There is too much at stake.. Plus the Ravens or Steelers have the Bungles and Browns all at the end of the season... Not a real balanced schedule for the divisional matchups...

jwmann2
11-03-2011, 05:47 PM
All division matchups are must-wins. Was it Seattle that had a terrible record last yar but won the division, undefeated, and made the playoffs?

tburg68
11-03-2011, 06:37 PM
It's only a must win because I hate the Ravens so much.

I expect the Ravens and Patriots to lose 2 more games this year. The Bengirls are a fraud.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-03-2011, 07:01 PM
All division matchups are must-wins. Was it Seattle that had a terrible record last yar but won the division, undefeated, and made the playoffs?

That is still a mystery, lol. Says as much about them as it does how bad the division was.

The Steelers won't have any problems getting up for this game, neither will the Ravens. You have to think that we have just alittle bit more motivation because of the one sided loss in September.

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness

Stairwayto7
11-03-2011, 07:08 PM
The game is huge but I still dont think its a must win. We have 3 out of 4 LBs out and the fourth one is playing out of position. Hell our backup OLB Worlids is out to. Ward may be out! At the end of the season who is on a roll and healthy then. GB came into the end of the year last year banged barely making the playoffs. We will be a better team in weeks to come.

With that said i still hope we kick thier asses

nuclearchihuahuas
11-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Its a must win because it the Rats! They must be crushed at Heinz field--there is no other acceptable outcome :tt02:

LarryNJ
11-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Its a must win because it the Rats! They must be crushed at Heinz field--there is no other acceptable outcome :tt02:

:plus1:

That being said, we aren't finished if we lose so it's not a must win.

Goodfrom55
11-03-2011, 08:35 PM
not a must win, i just dont think the ravens are going to finish strong enough to make it a must win.

Even if they lose, I still believe the Ravens will hiccup a couple times in the remaining games. They have the 49ers, Cincy twice, and the Chargers in SD. I honestly think it would take a complete implosion by the Steelers to lose this game on Sunday.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I think they are going to lose a few more games as well but given their schedule I just can't bank on it all that much. Allowing yourself to get sweeped by the Ravens is just not something you can allow to happen and expect to be in a position to win your division in December.

steelers4life66
11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
No question, we have to win this game. We win this, with the fairly ease of the rest of our games. The rats will never catch us. Beating the pats means the road to the SB could very well come through Da Burgh. :cope:

CoachC
11-04-2011, 12:11 PM
IMO, this game is a must win. I agree with the first post. I think that if we win this game, we win the AFC North. We don't want to be on the road in the playoffs because, unlike in years past, we haven't proven we can dominate on the road like we are used to... We need this game. It's huge!

LatrobePA
11-04-2011, 12:14 PM
10000000000000000% must win in my book...

JensK
11-04-2011, 12:16 PM
To me this is a must-win game. If we loose Sunday we most likely have to win out since we'd be down by 2 games. While Ravens could drop a couple of more games, so could we and the Ravens schedule is easier than ours from hereon out.

Rampage
11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure if I would classify this as a must win. Given the records and recent play of the two teams, the Steelers could make the playoffs without a win. That said, winning would be huge: It would put the Steelers in a good position to win the AFCN and potentially pursue the #1 seed while it would simultaneously place a tremendous amount of pressure on Baltimore. There is also the intangible, pride. This team was abused in the first week of the season and a victory here after beating another team that had previously abused the Steelers would probably go a long way for improving the confidence of this team.

SteelDad
11-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Must-wins are great in October/November/December, but I will take the must wins in January all day.

harpo
11-04-2011, 01:25 PM
This is 'must win' only for some Steeler fans. I don't think the team sees this as a must win.....

Troyisabeast_43
11-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Even if they lose, I still believe the Ravens will hiccup a couple times in the remaining games. They have the 49ers, Cincy twice, and the Chargers in SD. I honestly think it would take a complete implosion by the Steelers to lose this game on Sunday.

The Steelers usually fair pretty well against Flacco and the Ravens here in the past. If the Ravens do end up getting scores or make any big plays it's usually a result of the Steelers turning the ball over or making a big mistake. With that being said, If the Steelers look anything remotely close to the way they looked against the Patriots last week against the Ravens this week they should win this game fairly easily. Flacco is not Brady and if you get up on him by 14 points or something close to that and take a guy like Rice out of the game and force Flacco to throw throw throw he will **** up at some point and made a mistake that will be very costly...

--- Added 11/4/2011 at 01:54 PM ---

I dont think it's an absolutely positively MUST win game for the Steelers but Ill say this much if they do lose this game they most likely are going to have to win out and finish at 13-3 to have a chance at winning the division. Like 92 said the Ravens do have tough games with San Fran, 2 with Cincy home and away who always plays the Ravens tough,and at San Diego. They could definitely lose 2 out of those 4 games right there. So if the Ravens do happen to win this week and the Steelers then win out on the rest of their schedule and finish 13-3 which they definitely can do, then if the Ravens would drop 2 out of those 4 games I just mentioned they would finish at 12-4 and the Steelers would still win the North. As far as from the Ravens perspective I dont believe there is any chance they can win the AFC North if they dont win this game on Sunday at Heinz Field. I say this because they would currently be 1 game down in the loss column to the Steelers, and they would need the Steelers to flop in a few games against some lesser teams on their schedule which is probably most likely not going to happen. That loss to the Jaguars the Ravens had a few weeks ago will really be a killer for the Ravens if they dont win this game Sunday because it will put them down in the common opponents tiebraker with the Steelers as well unless the Steelers lose to either the Rams or 49ers in December.

coach
11-04-2011, 11:50 PM
It is for them. As inconsistent as they have played, they need it bad. With our injuries, we can actually lose this game and still make it up in the weeks ahead. If we beat them this week with a depeleted line-up, they are done.

Clevelandsux
11-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Might be the difference between being a wildcard team vs a first round bye. With the Bengals playing well, might be possibly a playoff spot.

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-05-2011, 01:16 PM
It is for them. As inconsistent as they have played, they need it bad. With our injuries, we can actually lose this game and still make it up in the weeks ahead. If we beat them this week with a depeleted line-up, they are done.

Starting to look like a miracle needed here what with all the injuries. The Ravings come to this game with one thing in mind to do physical harm. If they happen to win that's an extra for those P'sOS.

Scorp
11-05-2011, 01:23 PM
If they want to keep the ravens from going to the super bowl then this game will probably be their biggest of the regular season. Ravens haven't swept the Steelers since 06. Steelers are at home so their should be no reason to let the ravens step on their field and whip them like in wk. 1. I just don't see it happening. This game will either be a blow out or a great, classic that we're use to seeing.

Real Deal Steel
11-05-2011, 07:10 PM
hate to say it but it is a MUST WIN. especially because of the way we lost the first one. a win goes a long way, more than just record in the division...the mental aspect creeps into their minds as well.

It is a must win. Anyone saying it isn't is fooling themselves. The mental aspects are just as significant as the more tangible aspects.

Making sure the Ravens know that they are our bitch (in the back of their minds) when we want them to be allows the Ravens to then go and eliminate the other teams that give us problems (in the playoffs) so then when we meet the Ravens again in the playoffs (IN PITTSBURGH) they will once again lay down like the bitches they are.

coldrolled
11-05-2011, 08:10 PM
could we win this game and end up having cinci no2 and the rats no 3 by the 16th game??

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-06-2011, 12:13 AM
could we win this game and end up having cinci no2 and the rats no 3 by the 16th game??

If we win this one there will definitely be a lot to say about cincy and were the ragings stand.. However, let's get this shiate out the way first.

Mike Tomlin
11-06-2011, 01:06 PM
I honestly don't feel it's a must win for a few reasons.

1. It's still the regular season and the win really means nothing because we could still win the north by the end of the year.

2. They will still have to play us in the playoffs which is the game they are really afraid of.

3.If they beat us they know they could only do it with one hand behind are back. We're missing Woodley , half a Harrison , and Sanders out.

On the flipside if we win it's over for the Ravens. Their confidence will be shot and Ray will probably retire at the end of the year because he knows we're getting younger and better and there would be no chance for him to win a superbowl coming out of the AFC north. Not to mention they would do it without our best pass rusher and a young stud receiver along with a rusty Harrison.

steelcitysc
11-06-2011, 01:07 PM
this is a must win. GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!