PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Tomlin, 11-1-11

LatrobePA
11-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Tuesday, November 01, 2011
Tueday with Tomlin (Baltimore edition)

Mike Tomlin declared just one person out for Sunday's game against Baltimore - guard Doug Legursky.

As expected, Tomlin said linebacker James Harrison has been cleared to practice and that his status, along with that of LaMarr Woodley, James Farrior and Jason Worilds would be determined later in the week.

But that was purely coach speak.

More realistically, Worilds is the only player expected to return and the Steelers aren't sure what they are going to get from him since he has very little playing experience.

More telling was Tomlin's statement that the Steelers might have to line up with a four-man defensive line - though you can assume if they do that, Brett Keisel may do so as a stand-up end, sometimes dropping into coverage.

New to the injury list this week is wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who has a left knee issue.

Sanders is also dealing with the death of his mother.

Hines Ward could return this week after sitting out against New England with an ankle injury.

SnakeEyes43
11-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Ward and Farrior can stay seated. As for Wood and Harrison being out, I would like to see that 4-3 discussed in the other thread about Wood's injury. That might be prefect against the Ravens.

LatrobePA
11-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Ward and Farrior can stay seated. As for Wood and Harrison being out, I would like to see that 4-3 discussed in the other thread about Wood's injury. That might be prefect against the Ravens.

I agree 100%...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Ward and Farrior missing this game is not the end of the world. I would like to have Hines available because this is a big game and we need all hands on deck but after these last 2 games it's clear the slack is clearly picked up by the young starters.

It could be a smoke screen by Woodley and Tomlin on his status so we'll have to wait and see. Tomlin said it's a hamstring strain, not a tear, so no reason to rule him out this early.

If Ward and Sanders don't play then Cotchery will see significant playing time. Knowing the type of competitor that Sanders is even in this rough time I wouldn't be surprised to see him play on Sunday.

SnakeEyes43
11-01-2011, 01:40 PM
It could be a smoke screen by Woodley and Tomlin on his status so we'll have to wait and see. Tomlin said it's a hamstring strain, not a tear, so no reason to rule him out this early.

Knowing the type of competitor that Sanders is even in this rough time I wouldn't be surprised to see him play on Sunday.

I don't want Wood to rush though, and make that strain into a tear. He needs to trust his staff and do what they think is good for the injury. We'll need him long term more than we do for one game (even though it is the Ratbirds).

As far as Sanders goes, I completely agree. I'll understand it if he doesn't play, but I don't really see him sitting this one out. I could see him dedicating the game to his mom and having a great sixty minutes.

SteelDad
11-01-2011, 01:41 PM
If Sanders is absent due to injury/death of his mother, then I believe Ward becomes a necessity. Cotchery is certainly a capable guy, but Ward knows the Ravens better and gets inside their heads which can't be overlooked.

Troyisabeast_43
11-01-2011, 02:00 PM
I think Hines is going to play regardless of whether Sanders ends up playing or not. If the Steelers are missing Wood,Harrison,and Farrior for this Ravens game your 4 starting linebackers then become Timmons,Carter,Foote and Sylvester. So who knows how Tomlin is going to handle things in terms of still using a 3-4 or going to a 4-3. They have the horses at D-end right now to go with a 4-3. Guys like Keisel and Ziggy has been playing great and also you are seeing more reps from Cameron Heyward as the weeks go on and McClendon as well is seeing more time. All of these guys have been very very solid and something the Steelers might have to turn too this weekend against the Ravens.

mwittman5
11-01-2011, 02:10 PM
There is no way we use 4 down lineman. That is just some gamesmanship by Tomlin. Just like last week he said Ike wouldn't follow Welker around because it was out of his comfort zone. Ike followed Welker all game long. We'll just use timmons-sylvester-foote-carter

Steelers_All_Day_43
11-01-2011, 02:55 PM
There is no way we use 4 down lineman. That is just some gamesmanship by Tomlin. Just like last week he said Ike wouldn't follow Welker around because it was out of his comfort zone. Ike followed Welker all game long. We'll just use timmons-sylvester-foote-carter

Agreed. I also wanna see what Worilds can do. Im almost ready to label him a BUST.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Agreed. I also wanna see what Worilds can do. Im almost ready to label him a BUST.

You have to say to yourself though too, if Worilds would be ready to go, is he going to give you enough to play your normal defense? He's barely played at all this year and didn't have a good preseason. Even if he is available I'm not sure I start him, but depending on who else is out will determine how much more of a 43 they may play or how much of a rotation Worilds would get.