PDA

View Full Version : Woodley Questionable for Sunday vs the Ravens; Update 11/4 - Will Not Play on Sunday

SnakeEyes43
11-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Bad news...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/34749/injuries-devastate-steelers-pass-rush

A day after James Harrison (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4433/james-harrison) announced he won't play against the Ravens, a team source told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11305/1186660-100.stm#ixzz1cSVkw8E6) that LaMarr Woodley (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10490/lamarr-woodley) is out, too.

Woodley, who injured his hamstring in Sunday's win over New England, will not play against Baltimore and likely will miss the next game at Cincinnati, according to the Post-Gazette. He leads the AFC with nine sacks.

The losses of Woodley and Harrison are major blows to the Pittsburgh pass rush. Woodley and Harrison have totaled 82.5 sacks since 2008, accounting for half of the Steelers' sacks over that time. Both are expected to return after the Nov. 20 bye.

This run of injuries will test Pittsburgh's young depth at linebacker. The Steelers will lean on Lawrence Timmons (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10459/lawrence-timmons), who doesn't have a sack this season, along with rookie fifth-round pick Chris Carter (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14174/chris-carter) and Stevenson Sylvester (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13466/stevenson-sylvester), both of whom have yet to record sack in the NFL.

Woodley had expected to play against Baltimore on Sunday night. "I'll be in there," Woodley told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review two days ago. "I have a week [to heal]."

steelersgal86
11-01-2011, 11:22 AM
i just got done reading this also...not good at all :rant2:

LatrobePA
11-01-2011, 11:26 AM
This sucks but I think they'll be OK, we will get a chance to see the young guys in action, I personally think they will step up and make an impact...

JensK
11-01-2011, 12:25 PM
This game officially scares me much more than the Patriots game. There is much more on the line than against Patriots seeing we've pretty much lost the division if Ravens sweep us. At least it would be extremely rough to recover from. We have now lost our two best LBs and arguably best defensive players on the field judging from this season. That would be like forcing Ravens to play without Ngata and Suggs. Even Flacco can look great if there is no pressure on him (look: week 1) let alone Mr. Rice.

LatrobePA
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
This team is unlike others in the league, it can survive a game or two w/ out some starters.. It blows but I personally like our chances with the young guys in there!

K Train
11-01-2011, 12:31 PM
theres no choice you cant play base 34 like this, they need a 4 man line very often against the ravens

Keisel, Cam, Casey, Hood....with a mean rotation of timmons, sly, foote, and carter playing the 3 LB spots. thats a lot of beef on the dline, it can be very effective, especially since keisel is relentless and hood will be able to just rush the passer, which is really all hes good at

picking up gibson might not be a bad idea either, he'll at least be a body which is more than worilds can say

Big T
11-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Mike Tomlin didnt rule out James Harrison or LaMarr Woodley. The only player he ruled out definitively was Doug Legursky.

He also stated that they will incorperate some 4-3 and/or 4-2 looks this weekend.

steelersbabex25
11-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Well that's just..awful. Hopefully Carter steps up big time.

coldrolled
11-01-2011, 01:16 PM
theres no choice you cant play base 34 like this, they need a 4 man line very often against the ravens

Keisel, Cam, Casey, Hood....with a mean rotation of timmons, sly, foote, and carter playing the 3 LB spots. thats a lot of beef on the dline, it can be very effective, especially since keisel is relentless and hood will be able to just rush the passer, which is really all hes good at

picking up gibson might not be a bad idea either, he'll at least be a body which is more than worilds can say

Gibson is not employed??

Anyway, Ben and the offense need to blow out this team.. it is well overdue...

Then give the defense a chance to blitz like crazy... and tally up some sacks for the young guys....

Raleigh Steel
11-01-2011, 01:19 PM
this just means that the offense is gonna have to win this game. the ravens offense is such that a depleted steelers defense can maybe hold them in check. but the steelers offense needs to step up big time this week. for years they've been the recipient of a great steelers D.

if there was ever a time for the offense to go win one, it's this sunday.

Rampage
11-01-2011, 01:21 PM

I really would not mind seeing this. That could be a brutal line that would match up well against the Ravens. Perhaps they could fill the gaps a bit better and prevent the stretch plays that tore the team up in week 1.

JensK
11-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Mike Tomlin didnt rule out James Harrison or LaMarr Woodley. The only player he ruled out definitively was Doug Legursky.

He also stated that they will incorperate some 4-3 and/or 4-2 looks this weekend.

I can't help but think that the only reason hereof is because they want Ravens to spent time preparing for the possibility of them playing.

steelersbabex25
11-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Woodley just posted a video on his Facebook page, basically saying not to count him out yet. So...I won't.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Tomlin said on Sirius NFL Radio in his weekly spot that Woodley is listed as questionable and they'll see where he is later this week. I edited the thread topic.

Big T
11-01-2011, 02:17 PM
http://www.tout.com/m/779hlt

steelersbabex25
11-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Yeah. That was it.

SnakeEyes43
11-01-2011, 02:35 PM

I would love this. We need to adapt our D to who we play, like we did against the Pats, not just running the same old D no matter who we play. This would be perfect to stop the Ravens run game.

steelchamp204
11-01-2011, 02:37 PM
If our offense can play like it did on sunday, there should be no reason why we cant beat the ravens

SteelDad
11-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I'll wait until we get the official word later in the week, but this doesn't look good. I like the way Ktrain is thinking with a 4-3, but I think what you'll see is more of a 3-3-5 with Keisel possibly being used as a "tweener." Sometimes an LB and sometimes a DL. Just thinking out side the box...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-02-2011, 12:12 AM
This could all be a smoke screen by Tomlin and the Steelers. Perhaps Woodley is hurt worse than we thought or perhaps it's all a ploy to keep the Ravens off guard. It wouldn't be the first time. On Sirius today when Adam Schein asked Tomlin how Woodley was and if he was out, Tomlin said " well you know how those reports can be". Take that for what it's worth.

MattyVfromCT
11-03-2011, 08:00 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley remained limited in practice on Thursday and his status for Sunday's showdown with Baltimore is questionable.
Woodley, who is undergoing aggressive treatment for his strained hamstring said he'll be a "game-time decision."
Woodley injured the hamstring in the third quarter of last Sunday's 25-17 win over New England. He says he's taking it slow and hopes the late kickoff Sunday night will give him a little more time to heal.
The Steelers have not announced who will replace Woodley if he can't go, though rookie Chris Carter filled in against the Patriots.
Woodley turned 27 on Thursday and was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month after racking up 7 1/2 sacks in October, the second-highest total in one month in team history.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/11/03/lamarr.woodley.ap/index.html#ixzz1cgb94gg1

could just be a smoke screen but really hoping he can play. although it's sounding like harrison playing is a good possibility. he backed off his original assessment on monday that he wouldn't be playing

Rampage
11-04-2011, 01:08 PM
This whole thing reminds me of Pouncey heading into the Super Bowl. I have to think these guys are just trying to keep hopes alive so that the Ravens have an unclear picture of who to prepare for.

mwittman5
11-04-2011, 01:20 PM
For what it's worth Steelers depot said on twitter that tere are rumblings Harrison will be cleared to play.

SteelDad
11-04-2011, 01:23 PM
For what it's worth Steelers depot said on twitter that tere are rumblings Harrison will be cleared to play.

Big thing with 92 is the vision aspect. He plainly said if the docs have concern about his future sight, he's not playing. With that said, I still think we'll see him and or Farrior and/or Wood make an appearance.

steelersbabex25
11-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Woodley has been officially ruled out for Sunday.

PITTSBURGH (AP) – Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley will not play Sunday night in the AFC North showdown against the Baltimore Ravens due to a hamstring injury sustained in last week's win over New England.

Pittsburgh's other former Pro Bowl outside linebacker, though, is expected to play for the first time in a month. James Harrison has missed the past four games with a broken orbital bone, but is probable and will play barring a setback in a doctor's examination Saturday.

Also ruled out for Pittsburgh was wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who had a knee injury and has not been with the team since learning of the death of his mother on Tuesday. Guard Doug Legursky will miss his third game in a row due to a foot injury.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/story/2011-11-04/LaMarr-Woodley-out-hamstring-injury/51075294/1