PDA

View Full Version : Farrior could miss at least a month with calf injury

harpo
11-01-2011, 03:36 AM
According to Ed Bouchette, James Farrior could miss at least a month with a calf injury. I don't know how accurate this is, so i'll wait until I hear from Tomlin or the players themselves.

Read article here:

Steeler injury update (http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2011/10/31/2527955/steelers-injury-update-james-farrior-calf-lamarr-woodley-hamstring)

Not all is joyous though in Steeler Country. On Monday, Ed Bouchette reported that LaMarr Woodley might miss the Steelers’ Week 9 rematch with the Baltimore Ravens and that James Farrior could miss up to a month (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/112896-ed-woodley-likely-out-but-harrison-may-return) recovering from a torn calf muscle that sidelined him on Sunday. As Bouchette notes, if James Harrison is not ready to return for the Ravens game, the Steelers starting quartet of linebackers would look nothing like what it did in Week 1 to start the season:

coldrolled
11-01-2011, 08:28 AM
well he is probably right, if it slows him down anymore, it is a major injury....

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I've also heard this from Bouchette and a few others; clearly more serious than most thought at first. This is going to allow Chris Carter and Sly Sylvester to see a lot of playing time. We'll get a chance to see the future on the inside, right now.

These 2 played a big role on Sunday in the Patriots game so now it's time to see how they handle that pressure of more play in very important games.

steelersbabex25
11-01-2011, 12:26 PM
:duh: This is not even real. Steelers looking like the goddamn Penguins.

Mike Tomlin
11-01-2011, 12:33 PM
I think Carter could have had few sacks last ,because he had guys beat and was held everytime. I just hope he doesn't lose containment on the edge rushing up the field everytime , because Ray will kill us on the cutback.

Rampage
11-01-2011, 12:34 PM
If this were four or five years ago it would be a huge blow to the team. Unfortunately (or fortunately), Farrior has lost a step and is no longer the force he once was. Maybe another young guy can step up and at least use his athleticism to make some plays.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Farrior will make it back at some point this season and his abilities will still be needed. The way the injuries have hit this team is unbelievable so there's no telling who's going to drop at any given time.

For the time being, this is Sly's time to shine, and Carter as well. Let's see what the young guys can do.

one thing that Farrior does bring is the leadership on the field so guys like Troy, Lamarr, Timmons, Ike Taylor, are all stepping up to the task.

harpo
11-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Not having Farrior to call the plays means that it will be the responsibility of Larry Foote and Ryan Clark. According to Farrior, Foote did an excellent job of making sure guys were in the right positions vs. the Pats. His (Foote's) play in Farrior's absence is also to be commended as well. I'm glad they kept him around.

K Train
11-01-2011, 05:20 PM
this is a good thing imo, i mean farrior has done a lot for the steelers but hes been a liability and its time to move on and see what they got, they dont owe him any favors....sly will get his chance, but i could also see them looking hard at taze and teo this year in the draft to sure up the middle.

jast saying that harrison, timmons, burfict, woodley would be legendary and a psychotic nightmare to gameplan for

Goodfrom55
11-01-2011, 06:07 PM
I think Carter could have had few sacks last ,because he had guys beat and was held everytime. I just hope he doesn't lose containment on the edge rushing up the field everytime , because Ray will kill us on the cutback.

Rice gets most of his running yards on the cutback run. All backside defenders need to be disciplined and take proper angle of pursuit against the running game..

Regarding the young guys, they;d better have a great week of practice. And as for Alonzo Jackson, uh, I mean Jason Worilds, he had better get better real soon. His window is closing.

SteelCityVoice
11-01-2011, 10:28 PM
I agree with the guy who said this isn't as big of a loss as it would have been a few years ago.

Farrior's time as a Steeler needs to end soon. He's lost a step or two and can't cover passes good enough anymore. He's also been out of position on some runs.

We need to see the future and what we have so we can address the position properly in the offseason.

Goodfrom55
11-01-2011, 10:32 PM
The key will be (as I preach this all week) for the backups to Farrior and Woody as well as Foote, and the backside D-line to take a proper angle of pursuit and not allow any cutback runs, especially when they try to cut block Casey.

2 weeks ago, it was a good exercise in tackling MJD. Hit Rice low and often, and he will be ineffective.