PDA

View Full Version : Who is your halfway through the season MVP?

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Also heard them discussing this on 93.7 last night on the ride home. They said Ike Taylor, I have a three way tie between:

Ike Taylor
Max Starks
Ben Roethlisberger

I guess since Max Starks has only been on the team for 4 of the 8 weeks, it's kind of hard to say that he deserves the 8 week MVP, but look at the way that this guy has transformed our offense. The first 4 weeks of the season, Ben had less than a second to throw the ball half the time, holes weren't opening on the run game, tackles in the backfield were coming out the ying yang, and now look at where this offense is now. I know I'll get a lot of the "they haven't played a good defense yet." Regardless, it's a vast improvement from what we were seeing in the first few weeks of the season.

The reasons for Ike are pretty obvious. Ike has taken this abysmal secondary from last year and turned it into something, dare I say, great. He's been shutting down #1 receivers in every game, causing the opponents offense to go somewhere that they aren't comfortable going. Haven't heard his name called very often, but as we've seen, in the world of cornerbacks, that's a good thing.

The reasons for Ben are also pretty obvious. We all know that I was ragging on him a lot early in the season, and I still maintain my stance on that. Ben in the first 3 or 4 games just did not look like Ben to me. He was overthrowing, underthrowing, throwing too far in front, throwing too far behind. Just things that were very uncharacteristic of him. However, these last few weeks, and especially yesterday against the Pats, as we saw, Ben is really starting to come into his own again. At this moment in time, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he is one of the hottest quarterbacks in the NFL, behind only Aaron Rodgers. Let's all cross our fingers that he stays hot through the rest of the season and into the playoffs.

K Train
10-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Ben has been on fire lately, probably looking at the #2 spot in the probowl for the AFC.

but woodley has been a monster every since harrison got hurt, clutch in one of the biggest ways when your best LB gets hurt and your second best LB just says hey dont worry i got this

LatrobePA
10-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Sushi for sure, lol

Ben, Wallace, Woodley...

SteelDad
10-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Tough question because I don't know if any Steeler has played 'Great' in all 8 games. I would have to go with...

1. Wallace
2. Ike
3. Ben
4. Woodley
5. Troy

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
There's so many candidates you almost can't pick just one.

Woodley - 36 Tackles, 9 Sacks, 1 INT. Most of that has been since the start of October. He's been on fire the last 4 weeks thanks in part to his great play and the play of the defensive line.

Wallace - 43 catches, 800 yds. 18.6 ypc average and 5 TD's. He is the premier deep threat in the NFL, no question.

Roethlisberger - 2,302 yds passing, 14 TD's, 7 INT's, Average rating of 95.7. He's been beat up, beaten down, busted up, all year long again but he continues to move this offense and will them to wins with big plays and clutch passes. Without him this offense goes nowhere fast. He comes up big in big games when you have to have the play, that's exactly what you want.

Taylor - lights out at CB this year overall. He had one rough game a few weeks ago but even on his worse day he's the best on the team and one of the better CB's in the league.

Starks also gets strong consideration; without him coming back there's no telling what our offensive line would be like.

I'll go with Wallace but again it's a tough call. With Hines in the twilight of his career and now injured, Wallace has taken it upon himself to take his game to the next level. We're halfway through the season and he's already at 800 yds. By the time the Steelers get to their bye week he could be at 1000 yds easily.

JShare86
10-31-2011, 02:07 PM
SWAGGIN 100% I said all offseason if we didn't resign him it would be a rough year he has been solid in this secondary with so many question marks. I believe he has never missed a game as well big props to Ike I've always been a big fan

Iron Paul
10-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Sushi for sure, lol

Ben, Wallace, Woodley...
I agree totally!

Stairwayto7
10-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Everyone forgets about Heath, can put stats on his blocking!

Starks?? Has played very well and gave us a chance to put everyone else back into their own positition but he only played half of the half.

Ike doesnt get the credit he deserves he plays at a probowl caliber level but never gets noticed. He is tied for second on my list, with Troy who has been a human highlight film, he always comes up with a big play.

Keisel should be on the list somewhere our only consistent Dl

And woodley is a beast.

But we are no where without Ben. If we had another QB he would have thrown in the towel after week 3. Ben got screwed out of the SuperBowl MVP for Holmes IMO. But half way point to me and its a close race BEN

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Ben no doubt. Other than him, Wood.

Stairwayto7
10-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Love 93.7 the Fan I listen to it on the laptop at nite

Dean Denton
10-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Ben, duh...

Rampage
10-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Ben would be my choice. Rough start to the season, but he seems to be on an upswing. Behind him I would have Woodley, Taylor and Wallace (in no particular order).

Prosdo
10-31-2011, 06:04 PM
It's between Ben and Woodley. I'd give the advantage to Ben considering the O-line injury issue and how way he still plays.

UKSTEELER
10-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Ike - consistency matters.:helmet:

connecticutsteel
10-31-2011, 07:53 PM
I'll say Gilbert is halfway rookie of the year . I'm gonna have to say M.Wallace on Offense AND Woodley on d

Destossel
10-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Team lives and dies with Big Ben.

Farrior Fan
10-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Team lives and dies with Big Ben.

AMEN! As much as I would like to say it is a D player there is zero doubt in my mind that with ANY other QB in the league we are no where near the #1 team in the AFC. In BEN I trust.

LarryNJ
10-31-2011, 10:22 PM
AMEN! As much as I would like to say it is a D player there is zero doubt in my mind that with ANY other QB in the league we are no where near the #1 team in the AFC. In BEN I trust.

Although I think that's a very big stretch of a statement, I do agree that Ben is the MVP of the Steelers. The QB position is just so much more important than any other that you have to give it to him. Harrison goes down Woodley and the rest of the D pick up the slack. Ben goes down we are pretty much screwed. Look at the Colts. :)

Lunchbucket
10-31-2011, 10:27 PM
1.Ben
2.Woodley
3.Ike
4.Wallace
5.Troy
6.Miller
7.Starks

Black@Gold Forever32
10-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Max Starks since he save the season really....Noway the Steelers would be 6-2 if they had not signed Max Starks......

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Max Starks since he save the season really....Noway the Steelers would be 6-2 if they had not signed Max Starks......

My thoughts exactly. Like I said, he has completely transformed this offense.

SnakeEyes43
10-31-2011, 11:22 PM
I say Ben for sure. The only close seconds are Wallace, Ike, and Woodley. Starks did come in and do a GREAT job, but he is no where near as valuable to this team as Ben is, in my humble opinion. Like others mentioned, Starks has helped that line a ton and I agree that without him we might not sit at 6-2, but the same can be said about Ben. When I think MVP of 2011 thus far, Ben clearly stands out.

LatrobePA
10-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Starks will be tested big time this week..

Black@Gold Forever32
11-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I say Ben for sure. The only close seconds are Wallace, Ike, and Woodley. Starks did come in and do a GREAT job, but he is no where near as valuable to this team as Ben is, in my humble opinion. Like others mentioned, Starks has helped that line a ton and I agree that without him we might not sit at 6-2, but the same can be said about Ben. When I think MVP of 2011 thus far, Ben clearly stands out.

Of course Ben is the most important player on the team.....But when talking most valuable here then I'm sorry with the way the OL has looked since Starks has been back is night and day compared to the first four games were the OL was a mess especially with Jon Scott at LT......

Ben has a case for NFL MVP but Starks might be the Steelers MVP...I know sounds goofy but that is how I'm looking at it......:lol:

steelersbabex25
11-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Ben has a case for NFL MVP but Starks might be the Steelers MVP...I know sounds goofy but that is how I'm looking at it......:lol:

Because an offensive lineman would never be considered as an NFL MVP.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Because an offensive lineman would never be considered as an NFL MVP.

exactly.....But I do think Ben has a case for NFL MVP.....Of course Aaron Rodgers is the favorite.......I would say Fred Jackson and LeSean "Shady" McCoy are int he mix as well......

SnakeEyes43
11-01-2011, 10:18 AM
exactly.....But I do think Ben has a case for NFL MVP.....Of course Aaron Rodgers is the favorite.......I would say Fred Jackson and LeSean "Shady" McCoy are int he mix as well......

I don't care if Ben has the best stats in the league, no way he wins NFL MVP. Won't happen. I wish it would, but it won't.

steelersbabex25
11-01-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't care if Ben has the best stats in the league, no way he wins NFL MVP. Won't happen. I wish it would, but it won't.

I wouldn't be so sure. Apparently, after his performance yesterday, most of the analysts on ESPN now have him #2 in the league after Aaron Rodgers. If he can continue to win with all the injuries that this team has sustained, there could definitely be a case for him to win MVP. Similar to Bylsma winning Coach of the Year in the NHL last year.

coldrolled
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Starks and Bens bad ankle.. Making the short game come alive.....

I say Miller as mvp.. hes a beast..

We need to see more FB pass plays in the flat... Saunders/Johnson at least he can catch.

SnakeEyes43
11-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. Apparently, after his performance yesterday, most of the analysts on ESPN now have him #2 in the league after Aaron Rodgers. If he can continue to win with all the injuries that this team has sustained, there could definitely be a case for him to win MVP. Similar to Bylsma winning Coach of the Year in the NHL last year.

That's awesome! I've noticed he's starting to get some respect in the media for his play of late. And don't get me wrong, I would love for Ben to earn MVP honors, but with some of the issues these last few years, I don't see it happening. There's still a lot of hate and animosity out there for Ben. That would be awesome if I'm wrong though.

Steel Trap86
11-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Mike Wallace, Big Ben

MDSteel15
11-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Offensive MVP - Ben
Defensive MVP 1 and 1a - Woodley and Taylor

--- Added 11/1/2011 at 01:27 PM ---

1.Ben
2.Woodley
3.Ike
4.Wallace
5.Troy
6.Miller
7.Starks

I would actually move Starks up to 4th!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-01-2011, 05:17 PM
That's awesome! I've noticed he's starting to get some respect in the media for his play of late. And don't get me wrong, I would love for Ben to earn MVP honors, but with some of the issues these last few years, I don't see it happening. There's still a lot of hate and animosity out there for Ben. That would be awesome if I'm wrong though.

I wasn't saying Ben was going to win MVP but just saying he is the conversation with NFL MVP......Its Aaron Rodgers hands down right now for MVP....

SteelCityVoice
11-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Roethlisberger makes this offense go. We are a passing team and without him I think the season is a washout.

Ike Taylor though, my god he's been phenomenal this year and the worst part is that because of his greatness you don't have to think about him. That's sadly a detriment to his recognition league wide for what he is, a shutdown corner.

Troy Polamalu has been a huge factor even without turnovers, and Woodley is a dominant force.

So many choices so far.

madtowndrunkard
11-01-2011, 11:22 PM
I'd give a CO-MVP award to Wallace and Ben.

Woodall is having a nice 1st half with getting pressure on the QB...so he's the defensive MVP, but he's not out performing Wallace and Ben.