PDA

View Full Version : Redzone offense must be improved

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 02:52 AM
Hate to play this card, but someone has to do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that we were in the redzone 5 times, and came away with 2 touchdowns and 3 field goals. That to me is just completely unexcusable, especially when 2 of those field goals (maybe all 3, I don't remember) came from inside the 10 yard line. Come on, you have got to put that in the endzone. Since I was at the game I obviously didn't have the best view of everything going on, so I don't know if it was the playcalling or the execution or what, but had the defense not been on it's A game today, those missed opportunites could have very well cost us the game, and actually almost did cost us the game. Thankfully they didn't..this time. That's the main thing that has to be looked at coming out of this game. When you're inside the 10, you have to put up 6 points. Period. Don't care how you do it, just get it done.

Real Deal Steel
10-31-2011, 02:55 AM
The answer to the red zone problem is using Miller down there. If we use Miller the same way the Pats, Saints, Jets and Chargers use their TE's in the red zone, we'll be fine.

greennick
10-31-2011, 03:05 AM
The answer to the red zone problem is using Miller down there. If we use Miller the same way the Pats, Saints, Jets and Chargers use their TE's in the red zone, we'll be fine.

Miller definitely spends too much time blocking in the red zone and not enough time being a receiver. I don't think he will fix all our problems though, we need to be able to punch a some more in on the ground too. This will bring the play action into play more effectively.

Real Deal Steel
10-31-2011, 03:09 AM
If we are passing in the red zone, Miller is the answer. As far as running it down there, I"d like to see them pitch it out to Mendy and let him follow his blocks into the end zone.

But also going to Redman in the red zone is a fine option too.

Diehardsteel
10-31-2011, 03:12 AM
Do you guys think BA will actually call more games like he did today? Or is it back to the good ol' BA and under performing Steelers? Can you imagine if we brought a gameplan like that every week? How good we would be? That's pretty much what the pats have done for years. We just beat them at their own game and if we could beat them like that, we could beat anybody.

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 03:12 AM
Redzone Redman...just saying.

Diehardsteel
10-31-2011, 03:23 AM
Redzone Redman...just saying.

I'm actually coming around to mendy again. He seemed to run with more of a "Stride" today if you will. Limited dancing too! But yeah, let REDZONE REDMAN get the touches in the redzone and let mendy/redman, but more mendy, be the workhorse to get there....and more HEATH! He's good! Real good!

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 03:27 AM
Mendy had a pretty decent game today..HAPPY KTRAIN?

But I still want Redman in short yardage and goal line/redzone situations. That will never ever ever change.

Diehardsteel
10-31-2011, 03:37 AM
But I still want Redman in short yardage and goal line/redzone situations. That will never ever ever change.

No doubt, dude is a minibus. If Redman ever comes up short I immediately know mendy would have had no chance. Redman gives us the best shot on EVERY short yardage play.

NorCalSteel
10-31-2011, 06:29 AM
What a great game. They do need to iron out a redzone plan. The short or incomplete throw on first down, run on second and long then penelty for 3rd and longer plan has run its course..lol doesnt work. We should of won the game by 20 points. but I will take any win against the Pats!!!! I will be smiling all week...I just hope we can field a D next week..:tt02::helmet::tt02:

Mike Tomlin
10-31-2011, 07:18 AM
I think Tomlin got in Mendys *** at halftime and let him know we need him to run the ball with conviction because in the second half he ran tougher than any point in his career. I always knew he was shifty but he would never finish his runs with any aggression. If he would put his shoulder into people he would be better than Ray Rice., because he is a big guy with a very low center of gravity and it would be hard to get lower than him.

STEELyourface
10-31-2011, 09:11 AM
I think Tomlin got in Mendys *** at halftime and let him know we need him to run the ball with conviction because in the second half he ran tougher than any point in his career. I always knew he was shifty but he would never finish his runs with any aggression. If he would put his shoulder into people he would be better than Ray Rice., because he is a big guy with a very low center of gravity and it would be hard to get lower than him.

I think you may be right and I agree with you. I like Mendy, but I feel he has lacked in the areas you mentioned and he dances too much instead of just hitting the hole and driving forward after contact.

As for our red zone issues, I think Heath, Hines, and Cotchery all would help out a lot down there especially if used together. The red zone issue was the only real reason I was interested when they were talking about getting Plax.

coldrolled
10-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Redzone is a play calling issue.. we try to out smart everyone. Plays need to be quicker we seem to get drawn out slow plays. Arians im sure would just love to go 5 wide the entire time...

Just like the two first downs we needed to finish the game.. more crap calls...

Arians is not elite and is holding us back from greatness.. possibly a new dynasty of greatness.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
The Patriots stiffened up in the redzone and really shut down what the Steelers were trying to do on many occasions. I was watching the defense and they were man to man across the board on the receivers and tightends and also had 2 Safeties back in the endzone to help out. It's hard to pass the ball down there like that, which is what the Steelers were looking to do.

Ben was using the passing game very effectively all day long but in close quarters like that against a defense that has a hat on a hat and extra safety help, it's hard to do that. Normally in that situation you counter with the run game, but credit the Pats again for sneaking up the Safeties to help in run support and also their front line for being stout at the point of attack.

I was concerned as well with all the FG attempts last night but fortunately the defense was playing well enough to keep Tom Brady from getting hot. Add in the fact that you had several clock eating drives and fortunately we were able to come out on top. Redzone efficiency was probably the only drawback that I saw last night overall, other than Suisham's missed FG near the end.

The Steelers don't usually pass THAT much without using the run game too but the gameplan worked and worked great and we got the win.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-31-2011, 12:07 PM
This has been a problem since Cowher was here,it vwon't change untill we get rid of all ties on offense to Cowher IE B.A. I have to give Lebeau props for playing man to man and bumping off the line man that was great defense...

coldrolled
10-31-2011, 12:28 PM
This has been a problem since Cowher was here,it vwon't change untill we get rid of all ties on offense to Cowher IE B.A. I have to give Lebeau props for playing man to man and bumping off the line man that was great defense...

SA was screaming for it... luckily DL reads our forum...

Goodfrom55
11-01-2011, 11:23 PM
IMO, it's great to get points, but I believe if the Steelers ever have to settle for a FG of less than 27 yards (LOS inside 10), then it is an offensive failure. You guys mentioned Miller and his lack of opportunities down there. Agreed 1000%. How hard is it to run play action fake, Miller block for a 2 count, release into the opposite corner behind the safeties? Could do the same thing with Wesley Saunders and have Miller block. I don't care who gets the TD, but they have to start finishing drives, especially when they march right down the field and then go away from what got you down there in the 1st place. Lord knows they run enough blast down there, play action would work like a charm.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-02-2011, 01:48 PM
This is one of those games where traditionally you can get away with settling for FG's and still win the game. However this year that's not necessarily the case. Even at home the Steelers need to make sure they get into the end zone and put this game in the hands of Flacco to try and come back and beat them. If you get up on them you can take Rice out of the game from a run perspective and that helps things tremendously. Yes he's good as a receiver too but anytime you can make a team one dimensional you immediately have the upper hand.

Get in the redzone, get TD's, put them on their heels and let Blitzburgh go to work.

LatrobePA
11-02-2011, 02:18 PM
No fade routes??

BlitzburghRockCity
11-02-2011, 05:12 PM
The Ravens will crowd the endzone when the Steelers will get down there and try to force FG's as often as they can. This is where the creative play calling has to come into play. We saw some of it last week between the 20's but ended up stalling out too often before TD's could be scored. The slant route to Mewelde was brilliant; it's that type of play calling that will get us more 6 pointers than 3 pointers.

Stairwayto7
11-06-2011, 07:12 PM
We need to move the ball better in the redzone, not so many field goals that keep the other teams in the game. We havent been able to run at all. I know we have gone back and forth about Redman and Mendy, but is Redman the better option in the redzone, or is our O line just not built for running in the redzone?

--- Added 11/6/2011 at 05:12 PM ---

ooooops missed babex thread my bad

steelspikes
11-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Until B.A. is gone (hopefully at the end of this season) I don't see Steelers improving in Red Zone. Hope I am wrong. Steelers are averaging less than 22 pts. per game this yr. Under Arians' tenure avg. is 23ppg. In a word, this is kind of sucky. Steelers have weapons to be an elite offense. But this has never happened under Arians, and odds are it never will. This means we rely on defensive stops. When that doesn't happen, we lose, like last night.