PDA

View Full Version : Strip sack, fumble, Safety sealed the win but could have been called back

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2011, 01:07 AM
Troy Polamalu finished off the Patriots game with 5 total tackles, but it was a key play late in the game that helped seal the victory.

With literally just seconds left to go in the game, Tom Brady drops back for what looks to be a final hail mary play in the making. Down by 6 with no timeouts left he takes the snap and drop back, looking and trying to buy time while his receivers get down field. The pocket collapses and Brady moves to his left. Brett Keisel is getting held but relentlessly trying to fight out of it and just at the last second he is able to push through and sack Tom Brady, stripping the ball. As Patriot and Steelers players alike scramble to fall on it amidst a Heinz Field crowd going berserk, Troy Polamalu dives for it and punches it back towards the endzone. Ziggy Hood is sprinting as far as he can to try and jump on it before it goes out of the endzone.

He was able to fall on it inbounds but his momentum carried him out and the officials ruled, after a replay review confirmation, that it was a Safety because Hood didn't have control in bounds. Either way the Steelers victory was assured and Ben simply needed to take 1 final knee to run out the clock.

Keep in mind, Troy could have been called for a penalty for punching the ball, which might have given the Patriots the ball back with about 8 seconds to go. Fortunately amidst the chaos and flying bodies everywhere the officials did not see him do it or otherwise chose not to call it. Either way the Steelers dodged a bullet but nonetheless credit Polamalu, Keisel, and Hood for the game saving play.

Brett Keisel stripped it, Troy Polamalu punched it, and Ziggy Hood chased it down while it rolled out of the end zone.

A loose ball, courtesy of Keisel's strip sack in the waning seconds Sunday, led to a frantic scramble for the ball and a safety that sealed the Steelers' 25-17 victory against the New England Patriots at Heinz Field.

After throwing a 1-yard touchdown pass that brought the Patriots to within 23-17 with 2:35 left, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady got the ball back at his 22-yard line with 19 seconds remaining.

To cover 78 yards in such a short time would have been improbable but not impossible.
On first down, Keisel made the point moot when he crashed in and dislodged the ball from Brady's grasp.

"To come up with a play at the end that helps you win makes you feel good," said Keisel, the only Steelers player aside from LaMarr Woodley to sack Brady yesterday. "I expect myself to make plays. I didn't make very many today, but that was a big play."
The ensuing scramble for the ball evoked memories of the Dave Casper play, a controversial 1978 fumble in which the former Oakland Raiders tight end knocked a teammate's loose ball into the end zone and pounced on it for the winning score.
It resulted in the NFL changing its rules on fumbles advanced in the final two minutes of a game. Only the fumbling player can recover and advance the ball; otherwise, it is a dead ball at the spot of the fumble.

But the "Casper Rule" pertains to fumbles advanced by the offensive team, not the defensive squad.

Polamalu dived for the loose ball amid a scrum of Patriots and poked it toward the end zone. Hood dived on the ball but not before it had rolled out of the end zone, turning a potential Steelers touchdown into a safety with eight seconds remaining.
"I didn't want them to get another shot," Polamalu said. "I saw it was two-on-one, so I tried my best to get it out of their reach."
Did Polamalu intentionally punch the ball, or was it an accident?

The NFL's reigning defensive player of the year smiled.
"Which one would I get in trouble for?" he said, laughing.

Replay officials reviewed the play but not because of anything Polamalu did. They needed to determine whether Hood had recovered in the end zone.

"I had no idea if I was in," Hood said. "But they made the right call."
The play averted any chance of Brady pulling out a last-second miracle.

"We practiced all week about getting turnovers," said Hood about a defense that has been starved for them. "This turnover came at the right moment."

Actually, no turnover was credited. Keisel had a forced fumble, but since Hood didn't maintain possession until he was out of the end zone, the Patriots weren't charged with losing the ball.

"It was crazy because I was lined up on the right side, and I looked to the left and I didn't see anyone over there," Keisel said. "I looked to my right, there was an outside rusher to the right, so I ran over to the left, rushed and was able to get my paw on the ball.

"And that was it."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Safety%20secures%20victory%20over%20Pats%20for%20S teelers%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_764716.html#ixzz1cMyBLjSL)

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 01:12 AM
I was nervous at the end of that game, don't get me wrong. I mean the game isn't over until the fat lady sings, especially when that fat lady is Tom Brady, but Brady was just so out of his element that entire game that I was pretty sure there was no way that, even had that safety been called back, Tom Brady would get 80 yards in 20 seconds with no timeouts left.

LarryNJ
10-31-2011, 07:05 AM
Punching the ball is an actual penalty?

JensK
10-31-2011, 07:16 AM

You cant deliberately punch a loose ball towards the endzone. that is a 10y penalty.

jpele
10-31-2011, 07:29 AM

I believe it was the "Holy Roller" rule, involving Dave Casper.

STEELyourface
10-31-2011, 07:50 AM
I had that thought during the game and Troy certainly seemed to do it on purpose, but I wonder if you could honestly prove intent in that specific scenario. An argument could be made that it was unintentional. It wasn't, but I'm not sure they could clearly say that which is why I thought the refs chose to ignore it.

Raleigh Steel
10-31-2011, 07:52 AM
they would have had to determine that troy did it intentionally, and at game speed there was no way to know that. troy was diving for the ball, it could have just "squirted" out. after replay, it was clear that troy punched it deliberately. all in all, it was a heads up play...at worst, the pats get the ball back but with less time on the clock.

SteelDad
10-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Listening to Phil Simms, you may have thought the world was ending when he saw Troy intentionally hit the ball....

You cannot "intentionally" punch the ball in any direction whether on offense or defense and because it's a penalty play, it could not have been reviewed either way. Here's the catch, doesn't a player "intentionally" knock a ball from going into the end zone on punts? Does a player not "intentionally" push/punch the ball to a fellow player when scrambling for a loose ball? The Holy Roller necessitated the need for the rule for OFFENSIVE players, but I don't see it for defenders.

Furthermore, there was no way possible to discern whether TP did intentionally or not. Yup, sure looked intentional, but how do you prove it?

STEELWILLiam
10-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Regardless of the rule, it was an unbelievably smart play by one of the smartest players in the game. I know Troy is caught out of position sometimes, but when the Steelers someone to step up and make a play #43 is usually somewhere to be found.

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 12:40 PM
The Holy Roller necessitated the need for the rule for OFFENSIVE players, but I don't see it for defenders.

TRUE! :lol: I didn't even think about that.

TampaSteelGirl
10-31-2011, 12:42 PM
Regardless of the rule, it was an unbelievably smart play by one of the smartest players in the game. I know Troy is caught out of position sometimes, but when the Steelers someone to step up and make a play #43 is usually somewhere to be found.

I agree 100% :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2011, 01:45 PM

There is no doubt it was a huge, heads up, play by Troy. You get a chance to put the game away with a late score then sure why not. He knew he wasn't going to be able to recover it so make a dive and try and punch it out so another teammate has a chance. Legal or not it was a heads up play that fortunately went our way.

JensK
11-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Hey guys. I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but feel free to move it if its in a wrong place.

On another (danish) football forum we were debating the incident with Troy batting the ball. They claimed, rightfully so, that there should have been a penalty. This I can only agree with, however I don't see how it would have changed the outcome of the game. The alternative is that Troy just lands on the ball, Big Ben takes a knee and game is over anyway. For all we know, Troy actually provided Patriots with another chance of scoring. This, however, got me thinking as to the actual rule.

Lets say that Troy deliberatly bats the ball and a Steelers player picks it up outside of the end-zone. The flag is thrown and its a 10y penalty. Who is in position of the ball then? I mean after the fumble its a free ball and the Steelers clearly gain possession of it, yet they get penalized for doing so. What happens? Does the Patriots get the ball back or does the Steelers get the ball 10y from the spot of the fault?

MattyVfromCT
11-02-2011, 09:50 AM
I was under the impression the rule only applied to an offensive player batting the ball to advance position. Could be wrong ill have to check but im pretty sure it only applies to the offense

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

steelersbabex25
11-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Well, first off, I don't think Troy would have recovered the ball. The reason he punched the ball out was because there was him, and then 2 Patriots players going to recover the ball. I think if he had the chance to recover, he definitely would. He figured it would be safer to get it into the endzone.

Second, if the penalty was called, I would imagine that the penalty would be enforced 10 yards from the original LOS, and the Patriots get the ball because nobody recovered it. Just a guess though.

steelersbabex25
11-02-2011, 09:52 AM
I was under the impression the rule only applied to an offensive player batting the ball to advance position. Could be wrong ill have to check but im pretty sure it only applies to the offense

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

No, there is. The rule states that a player may not bat or punch a loose ball in the field of play toward the opponent's goal line. It's a stupid rule IMO. Very subjective.

JensK
11-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Seeing Troy gets his hands on the ball before anyone else I don't think its all that wrong to make the assumption that he easily could have gotten the ball.

steelersbabex25
11-02-2011, 10:14 AM
QFxxhjQZQMk

It's all subjective, I still think don't think he would have come up with the football. If he felt like he could land on the ball he would have, but he would have had to battle with 2 Pats offensive linemen.

JensK
11-02-2011, 10:18 AM
I've been thinking about that and came up with the conclussion that Troy simply tried to make a play instead of playing it safe. He had like 1 sec, at most, to go through all the different scenarios, and being the playmaker he is, he just gave someone a chance to do something. It would have made a whole lot more sense, in all scenarios, to try and recover it even though he was unsure whether or not he could do that.

steelersbabex25
11-02-2011, 10:35 AM
I've been thinking about that and came up with the conclussion that Troy simply tried to make a play instead of playing it safe. He had like 1 sec, at most, to go through all the different scenarios, and being the playmaker he is, he just gave someone a chance to do something. It would have made a whole lot more sense, in all scenarios, to try and recover it even though he was unsure whether or not he could do that.

I thought the opposite. He played it safe instead of trying to make a play. There are a lot of rules that players aren't aware of in the NFL, or that they aren't thinking of when they're playing. I figure he thought that he could either try to recover it and possibly lose, or knock it away from the Patriots players and give his guys a better chance to recover.

Like I said, it's really all subjective, which is why I dislike that rule. For all anyone knows, Troy could have been sliding in to just try to recover the ball and accidentally knocked it away (probably not the case in this scenario, as the ball went pretty far), but you never really know.