PDA

View Full Version : BA: Cant believe Im gonna say it

Stairwayto7
10-30-2011, 09:06 PM
............ I thought he called a pretty damn good game today, especially the first half. Went to Heath more than Ive ever seen and more than NE has seen. Didnt throw deep 10 times. Did use some no huddle. Overall I pretty damn good game plan.

Also Dick Lebeau great defensive game plan also.

:tt02:

Diehardsteel
10-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Flawless gameplan by BA today. Lets just keep it up all year and see where it leads us. :cope:

LatrobePA
10-30-2011, 09:09 PM
3rd and 3 you throw a bomb to no one. My only knock!

Diehardsteel
10-30-2011, 09:11 PM

How often do you just have one knock on BA? Not often right? :cope:

Stairwayto7
10-30-2011, 09:12 PM

Couldnt agree more! Thats why I said overall a great gameplan.

I would like to point out the Mendy and wallace needed to stay inbounds late could have taken another minute off the clock

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Its amazing when the OL is stable how much better the OC can call a game...Yes BA still isn't the greatest OC in the world but he isn't as bad as he is made out to be.....

Diehardsteel
10-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Couldnt agree more! Thats why I said overall a great gameplan.

I would like to point out the Mendy and wallace needed to stay inbounds late could have taken another minute off the clock

I was freaking out. "Stay in bounds man!!!" My voice is gone. My hands hurt from clapping. My neck hurts from dancing around. It feels amazing. :cope:

LatrobePA
10-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Oh one last knock, no more 44 yard fg attempts please!

Yes only one knock per week is a great job!

coach
10-30-2011, 10:15 PM
At the end of the game I did the Antonio Brown dance in my living room and pulled a hip flexor. :banana:

uclkyle
10-30-2011, 10:57 PM
I've always been a BA supporter. I think he consistently calls pretty good games. Seems like if Ben has a game like today and we beat a good team, BA is genius. If Ben throws a few picks and we lose, BA is the worst OC in the NFL. You can ask any fan of any team......they all hate their OCs. Raven fans were ready to kill Cam Cameron. Look at Schotty in New York (jets), people are calling for his head on a platter.

JShare86
10-30-2011, 11:02 PM
I gotta disagree our last possession was terribly called we in field goal range and on second and third down u drop back to pass?!?!?! a fg puts us up by 9 game over. Hate to say it I'm one of the few steeler fans that like Arians but he almost blew that game. Just my thoughts

SteelerCountry58
10-30-2011, 11:03 PM
The first series and most of the first half BA did his job good.
Fair from the half on I thought. Miller was on fire. He's a freakin
stud who needs to get 8/10 catches a game IMO. We just seem to roll
better when Heath is fully involved. The ball was distributed good today.
BA lives to see another day....for now. LOL:stirpot::lol:

HUNT4SEVEN
10-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Yea give BA his due he earned sum luv today!

--- Added 10/30/2011 at 09:49 PM ---

I gotta disagree our last possession was terribly called we in field goal range and on second and third down u drop back to pass?!?!?! a fg puts us up by 9 game over. Hate to say it I'm one of the few steeler fans that like Arians but he almost blew that game. Just my thoughts

yea i was pissed about that also,but we had the game won anyways.

Iron Paul
10-31-2011, 12:36 AM
I must confess that I am not a BA fan....however, he called a great game today. Wish we could have gone in for TDs while in the red zone. I am still concerned about Mendenhall's inability to run the ball like he did last year.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2011, 01:10 AM
Bruce Arians deserves a ton of credit today for the gameplan he brought into Heinz Field. He knew the Patriots were weak in the secondary and especially in the middle. He attacked that area of the field repeatedly with Heath Miller and Antonio Brown. He basically put the ball in the hands of Roethlisberger and said "here kid, go win this one" and that's exactly what happened.

The long sustaining, clock eating, drives especially in the first half were exactly what you needed. Mix in the run, use the short passing game as a second running game and just let the guys make plays. The Patriots brought the blitz early and often on Sunday evening and Ben was able to counter that with quick passes to Heath, Sanders, Brown, and Wallace. He spread the ball around, and didn't allow Belichick to focus on any one player or situation.

This is exactly what needed to happen. The Steelers needed to start out strong and get points early. By driving down on the opening drive, eating up nearly 6 minutes and capping it off with the Mewelde Moore slant pattern touchdown, they sent a message. What's even more important is that they were able to sustain those types of drives several times which kept Brady off the field.

Rashard Mendenhall rushed 13 times for 70 yds for about a 5.3 ypc effort. The running game was effective enough to keep the Patriots honest especially in the second half and Rashard was able to keep the clock moving and keep Brady and Co. off the field.

Steelers time of possession, 39:22. That's how you beat the the Patriots right there folks. And also with a 3rd down percentage at 10-16. There's nothing more demoralizing to a defense than to see an offense continually move the chains on 3rd down.

All in all, Arians takes a lot of flack from the Steeler Nation but in recent weeks he's been putting together some outstanding game plans and the team is responding with it's 4th win in a row.

SteelerFan87
10-31-2011, 01:39 AM
Mendenhall was averaging like 5 ypc. We just didn't run much.

Anyway, where do I start?

Huge kudos to the whole coaching staff this week. Possibly the best job I've ever seen them do. Talking all week about how Ike doesn't cover guys in the slot, need to prevent the big play (aka give the WRs a cushion), need to establish the run and keep Brady off the field, etc. And then they come out with the 02 Pats offensive gameplan, and a defense completely different from anything LeBeau has ever tried against NE. Probably the first time ever Belichick and co were caught by surprise coming off a bye week. I can't believe it either but I have to give BA the credit he deserves. And I'm so happy for LeBeau, especially after all the talk of Brady "owning" him.

Ben Roethlisberger. Couldn't have executed this gameplan without him, and without him playing well. He spread the ball around, made one mistake, but also was money on 3rd down. Ben Roethlisberger completed more passes than Tom Brady attempted. That, I think, says it all.

The WRs. Pats were obviously determined not to get beat deep by Wallace. But they just didn't have enough CBs to shut down Brown and Sanders, and Wallace still had his share of catches. Lots of big catches by these guys, especially on 3rd down. Speaking of which, Jerricho Cotchery picked a great time for his first catch of the season. The only real blemish was the difficulty getting TDs in the red zone. That's where maybe Hines could have helped somewhat.

Heath. He deserves his own paragraph. What a beast. He was basically unstoppable, especially early in the game. Another one of those "all you need to know about this game" things: Heath Miller was the best TE on the field, in a game where Gronkowski and Hernandez were on the other side.

Woodley. Just a monster until he got hurt.

Troy. This morning I heard Josh Miller saying how he remembered sitting next to Tom Brady when he was with the Pats and Brady saying he hates seeing Troy near the line of scrimmage, and he'd rather see him deep. Troy got the Pats to false start a couple times. He had some huge hits. That one hit where he got up and did that huge fist pump was really telling, IMO. I've never seen him so animated after a hit. Usually just does his cross and walks back to the huddle. He really wanted this game. Another guy who probably heard too much about Brady "owning" him.

Ike. Great job as usual. Even though he wasn't on Welker the whole game, he was his usual solid self.

The rest of the DBs. Possibly the best performance I've ever seen from the Steelers' secondary. No INTs, but keeping Brady to 170 yards passing is more than enough of an accomplishment. Ike presses WRs pretty regularly, but this is the first time I've seen the rest of the corners be trusted to do it too. And they did a great job.

Front 7. No Harrison, no Farrior, no Smith, no Worilds, no problem. Keisel had a big tipped pass and of course the strip of Brady on the safety. Timmons wasn't very noticible in coverage, which means he was doing his job. Sylvester didn't look overwhelmed in his first start.

The whole defense played with more energy and sense of urgency than I've seen all year. You know they were sick of losing to Brady, sick of hearing about how he tears them up, sick of hearing they couldn't hold the Pats under 30, sick of hearing about Brady "owning" LeBeau. They played well, they played fast, and they played physical.

The whole offense was in sync almost the whole game. It was great seeing the Pats chasing our WRs around instead of the other way around. It was great seeing the Pats unable to stop our TE, instead of the other way around. It was great seeing our QB march up and down the field passing a billion times instead of the other way around. Even Mendenhall ran like a man when he got the chance. Punctuated a few of his runs by running guys over. Good game by the O-line too. We got away with a holding a few times, but hey, the Pats have gotten away with it too against us at times. So that was another thing that was fun to see go our way instead of the other way. :D Also the couple seconds added to the clock at the end of the 1st half, which reminded me of the "clock malfunction" a few years ago that gave the Pats time to go down the field and win the game.

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 02:16 AM
We were talking about it on another thread, don't remember who said it, that this would be the game where BA was going to run it 40 times against a team that's 32nd in the league against the pass. And lo and behold, we actually played to our strengths and the opponents weaknesses. Go figure! You could complain about not having a balanced offensive attack, I say screw having an offensive attack. If they're gonna let you pass all over them for the entire game, then pass it on every single play. Thank you BA, for finally putting together a smart and well thought out gameplan. :hail:

coldrolled
10-31-2011, 09:56 AM

your 100% correct about this, and he calls crap in the redzone too.

i would love the jets to fire shotty, it would be a 400% upgrade for us to sign him....

ben had no huddle also today. And as the announcers said we played the 31st ranked pass defense... that was their out for us winning against their loved pats.....

SteelDad
10-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Arians, who I essentially despise, called an excellent game yesterday. I find fault with a some Red Zone plays, but some were a matter of the players not executing. Loved the PA pass to DJ late. Showed aggressiveness when in the past would have pounded ahead for a yard a pop. It was well-conceived gameplan. Kudos to the entire staff.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2011, 02:37 PM
That's a good sign, the Steelers are not just relying on the run late in the game. Teams are expecting that so it's good see Ben mixing it up with passes to guys like David Johnson and short quick dump offs to Redman. The defense expects you to run so you mix it up and you get 6-8 yds out of it and be set up well on 2nd down.

It's an aggressive approach like we haven't seen from this team in the past.

Rampage
10-31-2011, 04:58 PM
The offense came out with a plan and showed that they had an identity. There were very few wasted plays like there usually are. I just hope that they stick with that style of play: Short to intermediate passes taking what you can get to keep the QB upright and take time off the clock. They have the talent to do it, the question is whether or not they will stick with it.

LatrobePA
10-31-2011, 05:02 PM
The offense came out with a plan and showed that they had an identity. There were very few wasted plays like there usually are. I just hope that they stick with that style of play: Short to intermediate passes taking what you can get to keep the QB upright and take time off the clock. They have the talent to do it, the question is whether or not they will stick with it.

Right..

DIESELMAN
10-31-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm not a big fan of BA, probably never will be. I will give credit when it's due, so, thanks BA for finally after all these times, figuring out a game plan that would actually work. Work out the bugs in the red zone and be like yesterday the rest of the year and I will reconsider my hatred for you :greengrin:

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk