PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

nabwong
10-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi there,

Pats fan here. First off, i'd like to say that I have a couple of buddies that not only huge Steelers fans but also have family who have played for the Steelers. We get together for every pats-steelers and it is always civil. We have great mutual respect for each others organization and fanbase. Needless to say, there are always rotten apples in every fan base, but that doesn't mean everyone is like that.

The strength of both organization lies in their ownership. If we can take a step back and look at the big picture, aside from minor problems, the Patriots and Steelers have great stability that comes from the top. The owners know to hire the right people and not interfere. We should be thankful for that.

Contrary to what you hear from other patriots forums (I only frequent patsfans.com), I do not take this game as a confirm win. Past results mean nothing. This year, we lost to the Bills for the first time since 2003 and the Steelers are a much better team than the Bills.

I think the Patriots match up pretty well against the Steelers and maybe that's one reason why we have been winning. Brady is also very good against the zone. Honestly, it is very obvious that the only way to stop Brady is to drop 7 with a combination zone-man coverage and only rush 4 (MAX!!!). This was how we lost to the Jets and Giants. The problem for the Steelers this week is whether you can pull this off; again going back to the matchups. I'm not sure if the Steelers can cover welker. If you press him, Brady will just put him in motion. Also watch out for Hernandez and Gronk on seam routes.

Your WRs scare me. Wallace will be a huge problem as our CBs are not performing well, with the exception of Kyle Arrington. McCourty is having a sophomore slump and we have problems at safety. However, our D-line is stopping the run pretty well. Our LBs are also bad in coverage so your TEs will probably have a big game.

I'm looking forward to a great game (win or lose).

SteelDad
10-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Welcome to SA! I expect a different type of Steelers/Pats game than years past because of different personnel. Nonetheless, should be a good ball game.

Scorp
10-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Glad you're here and bad luck on the game bro. jk. brady always gives us fits.

steelers4life66
10-26-2011, 01:44 PM
:welcome: All level headed fans are welcome here. Think it's gonna be a interesting game.

nabwong
10-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Glad you're here and bad luck on the game bro. jk. brady always gives us fits.

Thanks for the welcome guys. No offense taken at all. It is kinda hypocritical to wish the opponent good luck. How about wishing each other an injury free game? =)

Big T
10-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Welcome. It's good to see a civil, levelheaded patriots fan. After reading some of the threads on Patriots Planet, I wasn't sure there were any left.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Welcome to the site, glad to have you on board. Yeah we hate the Pats as you can imagine but the respect factor for Belichick as a coach is unmatched in the NFL. Personally I think he'll go down as one of the best gameplanning coaches in NFL history if he's not there already.

The comment about how to match up on defense is well put. The Steelers "can" do it but the question is and always has been, "will they"? In the past Lebeau has ridden the coat tails of what's worked for decades with his defense. As we know that doesn't work on a QB like Brady.

The problem with only rushing 4 is that if you don't stop the law firm before he gets started he's good enough to make some noise in the 2nd level of the defense. The Steelers live in the backfield of teams by applying pressure, or I should clarify that's how they prefer it.

If they can get quick pressure from the front line, jam Welker and company before their routes start, you can disrupt that timing offense that Brady loves to run. The problem is, as we've seen all too often, the pressure doesn't get there and the DB's play off and he just eats us alive.

Stairwayto7
10-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Welcome! Im looking forward to a good game as well, high scoring I believe. Most your points are valid, does anyone really cover Welker well? He`ll be an issue all day no matter who covers him. I believe you have to keep hitting brady, nothing cheap nothing late. but unlike Ben when brady gets hit he comes unraveled a bit. You get in his head you have a good chance.

nabwong
10-26-2011, 09:48 PM
The Steelers don't seem to be running it like they used to last year. Is this more due to the development of Wallace and the WRs or is Mendenhall and the run game having more difficulty this year? At least, that's what it seems to me. The weakness of the Pats D is the pass, so it might suit you guys. But I'm just curious at the lower production of the run game.

steelersbabex25
10-26-2011, 09:59 PM
The Steelers don't seem to be running it like they used to last year. Is this more due to the development of Wallace and the WRs or is Mendenhall and the run game having more difficulty this year? At least, that's what it seems to me. The weakness of the Pats D is the pass, so it might suit you guys. But I'm just curious at the lower production of the run game.

It's a combination of both. Mendenhall has not been running as well this year obviously as he has in previous years. The reason for that is still up for discussion on this board. But at the same time, why run the majority of the time when you have guys like Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Ward, and Miller to pretty much dominate the pass game?

Big T
10-26-2011, 09:59 PM

The offensive line has just been unbelievably terrible at creating holes. They've been tossed around like rag dolls. Our line the last few years was always built for the run game, while being a liability in the passing game. Now they are just horrid all around outside of Pouncey (though Max Starks has been a pleasant surprise).

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
The line has just been crushed with injuries, in the first 7 games this year they've started 7 different line combinations. You just can't build an continuity that way. Now this week Gilbert could be back at RT which means they'll start a different group; and sit J. Scott.

Against Arizona they didn't look too bad overall. The run game struggled but in pass protection they were able to atleast give Ben some time. We take any good sign on the OL as a positive no matter how small it is around here..LOL.

nabwong
10-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Interesting. The Pats D-line and Steelers O-line battle will be one to watch. Wilfork is as good as ever and now he even makes plays in the passing game. lol. Haynesworth is slowly improving his game fitness and he will be a factor. He was often doubled against the cowboys and in a couple of plays, tripled. That leaves Carter one-on-one on the outside. The weakness on our line is Ellis, just been pretty slow.

I love Pouncey. I think he's a top 3 center in this league if not the best. He's smart and athletic. You guys got a steal.

2 things that have been added to the offense this year are the Sweeps and No Huddle.

Sweeps - The Pats O-line is doing a great job this year of pulling and blocking in the open field.

No Huddle - With a 2WR-2TE-1RB formation, the Pats have the possibility of run or 5 wide (either BJGE or Woodhead).

How do you think the Steelers D will match up?

nabwong
10-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey,

It was a hard fought game and you guys out-coached and out-executed us. Well done. All the best with injuries. Hope they're not too serious.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks man, it was a wild game, one for the record books in many ways. Best of luck, well not really ;) in the rest of the season.

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 01:26 PM
kK42LZqO0wA

:banana:

Thanks for coming by to chat with us. Maybe see you around playoff time ;)

TampaSteelGirl
10-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Hey,

It was a hard fought game and you guys out-coached and out-executed us. Well done. All the best with injuries. Hope they're not too serious.

Thanks and welcome to the site..I missed the pre game stuff but it's great to see a non steeler fan coming on to talk football...Great game and hope you stick around and chat some more! :yellowthumb:

Prosdo
10-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Hey,

It was good game. Nice to be on the winning side for once lol. Stop back at playoff time!

nabwong
10-31-2011, 08:35 PM
All the best next week. For selfish fantasy reasons, I want Ray Rice and the Ravens D to do well. But I think we'll see each other again in the playoffs.

I had a great time here. I definitely believe that there are great fans supporting their team and you guys prove it. But unfortunately the bad ones ruin it for everyone. And this is only football, it's way worse in life. lol.

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 08:40 PM
All the best next week. For selfish fantasy reasons, I want Ray Rice and the Ravens D to do well. But I think we'll see each other again in the playoffs.

I had a great time here. I definitely believe that there are great fans supporting their team and you guys prove it. But unfortunately the bad ones ruin it for everyone. And this is only football, it's way worse in life. lol.

Hate to tell you this, but Ray Rice is gonna be shut down on Sunday :lol:

As long as you're here to talk about football and not talk trash, we're generally a pretty nice group. Come by whenever you want, especially the next time the Steelers play the Patriots, which I could see being sooner rather than later.