PDA

View Full Version : Defense for the Pats game

Blitz
10-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Since Woodley has been hot and Timmons hasn't been an effective pash rusher from the outside, I think Bellicheck will gameplan to take Woodley out of the game and force Timmons to beat them. Someone else needs to step up in the pass rush.

I like the idea/scheme of Mundy at safety and letting Troy roam. Let Troy and Timmons cover the TEs (even if this means letting Carter get some playing time).

steelersbabex25
10-26-2011, 11:19 AM
"Take Woodley out of the game"

Easier said than done with the way that he's been playing the last few games.

JensK
10-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Woodley have not played against as good an o-line as he'll face Sunday. Should be a really great matchup to watch.

steelersbabex25
10-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Regardless, I see Woodley as being a huge factor in this game. I think him and the rest of the defense will be out for blood after the pathetic showing that they put up last year.

SnakeEyes43
10-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Woodley is very "hit or miss", but when he's hot he usually keeps the streak going. It's just nice to see him get hot before week 10. I think that's why so many people get frustrated when he is absent, because we know how great he can be. Hopefully we can see the big kick a few more times this weekend.

I think Timmons should come back to the middle and give Worlids a try at OLB, if he's healthy (I don't know his status for the game). Timmons in the middle will give the LB core more speed against the pass, and I think Worlids can get just a much pressure as Timmons has been getting.

Troy should roam, but we will need his help covering the TEs of the Pats, who are very talented.

coldrolled
10-26-2011, 01:14 PM
If we are not knocking the WR/TE/Welker off the line on the snap. Woodley wont have much time to matter. The DLine needs to put there arms up the whole game too. Its dink and dunk... Its been years of dink and dunk ... it doesnt change... it obviously works look at the scores they put up and no other team mimics that play style?? that is kinda wierd...

UKSTEELER
10-26-2011, 04:10 PM
i'd like me some Sly in this game.

Blitz
10-26-2011, 04:10 PM
If we are not knocking the WR/TE/Welker off the line on the snap. Woodley wont have much time to matter. The DLine needs to put there arms up the whole game too. Its dink and dunk... Its been years of dink and dunk ... it doesnt change... it obviously works look at the scores they put up and no other team mimics that play style?? that is kinda wierd...

Exactly.

Lebeau needs to let our dbs get physical with their WRs/TEs. No cushions :cursin:

K Train
10-26-2011, 04:35 PM
nate solder wishes he could just "take woodley out of the game"

they are going to need a lot of help on the right, might actually make timmons come alive on the left

Goodfrom55
10-26-2011, 05:22 PM
The DLine needs to put there arms up the whole game too. ...

From your lips to God's ears.

Outside of Brett, I don't understand why the other guys don't do it. Like you said, it's dink and dunk. Welker leads the NFL in YAC. He catches most passes within 10 yards of the LOS and then creates things with his feet.

I say we take a 15 yard penalty and drill him right out of the gate. Partially kidding here. . .

Nolrog
10-26-2011, 06:50 PM
I say we take a 15 yard penalty and drill him right out of the gate. Partially kidding here. . .

I realize you're kidding, but being able to pressure Brade and knock him down (especially with a hard hit) will go a long way to getting him off his game. As long as Tomlin doesn't pull a Garrett in the end.

Goodfrom55
10-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Hitting Brady would be great, considering Pretty Boy doesn't like to be hit. Last season, we didn't get a sniff of him - didn't even knock him down. That can't happen and expect for the Steelers to win.

SnakeEyes43
10-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Hitting Brady would be great, considering Pretty Boy doesn't like to be hit. Last season, we didn't get a sniff of him - didn't even knock him down. That can't happen and expect for the Steelers to win.

:plus1: We HAVE to get to Brady!

mwittman5
10-27-2011, 01:02 PM
I was thinking last night maybe this is what the steelers should do on defense:
Put Mundy in at strong safety and play polamalu as a MLB just for this game. Then Troy can attack if it's a run play or cover a TE if it's a passing play. Then have Ike follow Welker around for most of the day. On some plays Troy could even sneak over to Woodley's side to wreak havoc. Mundy can double coverage Welker or take a TE.

K Train
10-27-2011, 01:05 PM
this isnt madden, but i would expect to see a lot of nickel and dime...and even mundy and lewis being on the field over clark, who can be a likely canidate to get benched at any given time vs a passing team

mwittman5
10-27-2011, 01:20 PM
this isnt madden, but i would expect to see a lot of nickel and dime...and even mundy and lewis being on the field over clark, who can be a likely canidate to get benched at any given time vs a passing team

Well it's worth a try against somebody who absolutely owns us. Troy has been put in as a CB with mundy at SS during some plays this year.

Goodfrom55
10-27-2011, 01:45 PM

That's fair, Clark is overrated in coverage. While the Steelers can't or shouldn't reinvent the wheel on defense, the biggest thing they can do is stuff any running game the Pats try to execute, and they cannot allow the Pats receivers, and I mean all receivers to get a free release off the LOS. They have to be in their face and just chip away them at the snap of the ball. In the meantime, The interior 3 (or 4) must get pressure up the middle.

Outside of maybe Dallas, the Pats haven't played a physical team like the Steelers yet this year, and they were lucky to win that Dallas game. Stay physical, stay smart, and don't give these nit nats from NE any free 1st downs!

TampaSteelGirl
10-27-2011, 01:49 PM
If we mad pressure Brady and don't turn the ball over we are winning this game hands down...I know before I was saying that we should take a bye for this game...BUT i dont' see the stellar football the Pats played in beginning of the season...We can't allow Brady to dink and dunk like he ALWAYS does...Mad pressure, no turnovers.. Steelers Victory :tt02:

Goodfrom55
10-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Most of Brady's passing yards are via the YAC (Yards After Catch). . .shut down the Punch and Judy passing game, and the Steelers have a shot.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Lebeau has really started using more nickel and dime in the last few weeks so I could definitely see that being a possibility. There's 2 schools of thought when defending Brady. Pressure him like crazy and hope you get there leaving your secondary to go 1 on 1 and hope they can make the play. Or drop everybody back and make him work for every yard, being sure to make the tackle as soon as the receiver catches it. Give everyone help in the passing game and leave no one one on one if you can help it.

Lebeau usually just plays "his defense" no matter who the opponent is but I have to wonder if maybe this year he'll change things up.