PDA

View Full Version : Ike on Welker? Yes or No

steelchamp204
10-26-2011, 03:44 AM
If you were Tomlin would you put Ike on Welker for most of the game, the beg of the game, off and on during the whole game or what would you do?

I would put Ike on him ALL game. I worry about Branch also, but my biggest fear is welker getting 5 yard receptions and then turning them in 15+ gainers. Ike is our Best CB and I would put him on welker all game long and put Lewis or Gay on Branch with help over the top. I think Ike can get the job done.

What do you guys think?

Blazedby92
10-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Is there any other choice?

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-26-2011, 07:10 AM
It won't matter unless we get physical with him. Have to bump him off of his routes. But tbh I'm more worried about their TEs.

connecticutsteel
10-26-2011, 08:37 AM
First of all anyone can cover Branch since when is he special? Hopefully Worilds is ready to go so we can sit Farrior down he is too slow to cover anyone. He gave up a 78 yd td last week on a shallow crossing route just like Welker will be running. We should double Welker whenever possible .Take away the middle of the field as much as possible. Pressure and Sack Brady as much as possible is the most obvious plan

jpele
10-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Seeing that Welker plays mostly slot receiver Ike will see very little of him.

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Welker gets loose for a second usually means trouble. Branch, maybe.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Wes Welker not only is New England's best receiver, he leads the NFL with an average of 130.8 yards per game. But do not expect Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor to follow the usual plan that has him cover the other team's best.

Welker often lines up in the slot, and Taylor covers receivers who line up wide.
"As I sit here right now, I am not comfortable with saying that Ike is going to follow him down-in and down-out," Tomlin said. "That might be a little bit out of Ike's comfort zone.
"This guy spends a lot of time in interior formations at the No. 2 position, No. 3 position and slot formations. Ike is an outside corner, so I am not ready at this juncture to even say that this is going to be an element of this thing."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11299/1184982-66.stm#ixzz1btETzVyU)

K Train
10-26-2011, 11:33 AM
no way....much rather see gay on him or troy somewhat manned up on him. Ike is gonna play branch and chad johnson, niether "special" but guys you dont wanna let beat you.

ike on welker is a mismatch, just like gay on TO was a mismatch last year, or gay on Gronk, ike doesnt have to quicks to stick with welker all game long, and hes not a slot corner, gay is

SteelDad
10-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Normally I'd say you put your best cover guy on their best WR, but in this case I say no for a couple of reasons.

1. We don't play up tight, bump n run coverage anyway so that probably wouldn't fit into any of our DB's skill set.

2. Ktrain is correct about speed. Ike is a fast dude, but there is a big difference between speed and quickness. Welker has the quicks that I don't believe Ike has.

Much as it pains me, put Gay on him or at the very least Lewis who will physically abuse him with his size.

steelersbabex25
10-26-2011, 12:00 PM
no way....much rather see gay on him or troy somewhat manned up on him. Ike is gonna play branch and chad johnson, niether "special" but guys you dont wanna let beat you.

ike on welker is a mismatch, just like gay on TO was a mismatch last year, or gay on Gronk, ike doesnt have to quicks to stick with welker all game long, and hes not a slot corner, gay is

Who's Chad Johnson?

mwittman5
10-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Keenan Lewis is faster than Gay so I'd put Lewis on Welker and have him play physical, bump him at the line. Troy should cover one of the TE's, probably Hernandez because he goes out for more passes than Gronkowski.

K Train
10-26-2011, 12:13 PM
i have never and will never refer to him as ocho cinco....no way

steelersbabex25
10-26-2011, 12:13 PM
:lol:

PITTxPRIDE
10-26-2011, 03:31 PM
IKE all thw way because he plays the tightest coverage, i think deion wont need any more coverage than troy will provide... so honestly, welker and ike all game

coldrolled
10-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Smacking the short route receivers off the line and blitzing should keep brady out of sync and on his back, branch and 85 are hard to see laying on your back. brady is 100% timing in his motions. we need to interupt that as much as possible. then hit him. im so sick of this dink and dunk. there is plenty of film on beating him down. i hope we are mimicking some of that this week..

Troyisabeast_43
10-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I would put Ike on Wes as well seeing that Chad Ocho Cinco has basically been a non-factor in the Patriots offense so far this season and never really does much at all against the Steelers defense. If they arent going to put Ike on Welker and make him cover Chad then I agree with putting Lewis on Welker and having Gay and Troy cover both Tight ends Gronkowski and Hernandez. Of course last year if you remember Gronkowski was an absolute nightmare to cover in the game against the Patriots as he torched Gay all game long.

K Train
10-26-2011, 04:35 PM
you do not put gay on a TE...no way.

the two most qualified to cover TEs are timmons on gronk and troy on hernandez

LatrobePA
10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
you do not put gay on a TE...no way.

the two most qualified to cover TEs are timmons on gronk and troy on hernandez

Note last years game, total miss match Gay on a TE is a no no..

HUNT4SEVEN
10-26-2011, 05:19 PM
K Train stop making all the good points :lol: He'a right though and i agree that Troy and Timmons can take one of the TE's and Ike on Branch, i believe we might play more Dime coverage this game, our DB's just have to tackle, Tackling has been a major problem against the cheaters and we can't afford miss tackles this game, we match up well against the cheaters it comes down to the offensive game plan and us getting to that girl Marsha Brady early and often, i believe we win this game:tt02:

UKSTEELER
10-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Sly would be a great match-up on one of the TE's I know that much!

Ike should just stay wide and take what he gets and shut them down, i fear Gay or Lewis will be chasing shadows with Welker.

Goodfrom55
10-26-2011, 06:19 PM
I say not full time. Welker has to be hit all day crossing the middle and bumped off the line. If he is allowed to get a free release, he will torment the secondary.

steelersbabex25
10-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I feel like Gay was matched with Welker or someone else ridiculous a lot last year.

mwittman5
10-26-2011, 06:48 PM
I feel like Gay was matched with Welker or someone else ridiculous a lot last year.

Actually Gay was on Gronkowski a lot last year and got burned. Heres the patriots receiving stats from last years game:
Welker 8 catches 89 yds
gronkowski 5 catches 72 yds 3 TD's
Branch 7 catches 79 yds

steelersbabex25
10-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Actually Gay was on Gronkowski a lot last year and got burned. Heres the patriots receiving stats from last years game:
Welker 8 catches 89 yds
gronkowski 5 catches 72 yds 3 TD's
Branch 7 catches 79 yds

So my "or someone else ridiculous" comment was pretty accurate.

K Train
10-26-2011, 07:03 PM

it was gronk....welker is a much better matchup for him

mwittman5
10-26-2011, 07:04 PM
So my "or someone else ridiculous" comment was pretty accurate.

Well most people think Gay on the field is ridiculous :greengrin:

K Train
10-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Well most people think Gay on the field is ridiculous :greengrin:

know why? cause of gronk and TO burning him for a total of 6 TDs last year. other than that hes solid, he never should have been on them without help

nuclearchihuahuas
10-26-2011, 08:39 PM
I think Big snack should fall on Welker and have difficulty getting up

Willie Gay is ok but not starter quality IMHO, if he can handle Welker, I may change my mind.

Farrior Fan
10-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Just put Ryan Clark on him for one play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1nN1Gmqm3o

BOOOOMMMM...see my sig, you other brothas can't deny

SnakeEyes43
10-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Ike on Branch. Gay on Welker, get physical with him at the line and disrupt his routes EVERY CHANCE you get. Lewis on Stinko. Timmons and Troy on the TEs. Wood, Hood, Heyward, McClendon, Keisel, and Worlids (hope he plays, not on injury list) bring the heat on Brady.

On a side note, I saw someone mention that Lewis is faster than Gay...I thought Gay was pretty speedy.

K Train
10-27-2011, 10:59 AM
lewis is in no way, shape, or form faster than gay.

lewis may actually be the slowest corner we have, maybe a little faster than this version of mcfadden

SnakeEyes43
10-27-2011, 01:05 PM
lewis is in no way, shape, or form faster than gay.

lewis may actually be the slowest corner we have, maybe a little faster than this version of mcfadden

That's what I was thinking. He's one of our bigger DBs, but he's not very fast.

steelersbabex25
10-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Gay must have done some work in the offseason, cause the more I watch him the better he seems this year. Better defensive planning for one, but he also seems to stick with receivers better.

K Train
10-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Gay must have done some work in the offseason, cause the more I watch him the better he seems this year. Better defensive planning for one, but he also seems to stick with receivers better.

its true...people get so caught up in him having bad games (not even that many) that they dont even acknowledge when he plays well, which he has been

SnakeEyes43
10-28-2011, 12:12 AM
its true...people get so caught up in him having bad games (not even that many) that they dont even acknowledge when he plays well, which he has been

Big Play Willie Gay! I'm still not his biggest fan, but yes, he is much improved this year. Love him blitzing off the corner.

--- Added 10/27/2011 at 10:12 PM ---

Tomlin says Ike will not shadow Welker.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/34387/steelers-looking-to-rough-up-welker

MDSteel15
10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Who's Chad Johnson?

^^^^^^^^^^ :lol: :thinking: