PDA

View Full Version : Establish the run or pass?

mwittman5
10-25-2011, 09:20 PM
The common suggestion is to beat the pats you must run the ball and keep Brady on the sidelines. However our running game is inconsistent and the patriots pass D is terrible. I think we should just use the short pass game to control the clock like what the patriots do. What do you think?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2011, 09:45 PM
If the Steelers were smart, they would use the short passing game right out of the gate, give the Patriots a taste of their own medicine. Basically see if they can stop what they their offense plays every week.

The Patriots are at the bottom of the league in pass defense, if you don't attack them through the air then you might as well not show up. Arians needs to make sure he doesn't get sucked into the "we have to go down field" 15 times a game mentality like we saw a couple weeks ago. Take what they give you and mix in the long plays when they are available. When Ben sees a 1 on 1 with Wallace or some situation where there's a receiver uncovered or maybe a DB playing very far off the line, then you audible into a play that can get you a big chunk of yardage.

With the Patriots it's all about being patient. That's what Brady does. They are happy with 6-7 yds. a pass and then break one for 15 yds here and there. They'll march down the field, wear out your defense and score.

DBR96A
10-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Establish the SMACKDOWN!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2011, 11:01 PM
If the Steelers were smart, they would use the short passing game right out of the gate, give the Patriots a taste of their own medicine. Basically see if they can stop what they their offense plays every week.

The Patriots are at the bottom of the league in pass defense, if you don't attack them through the air then you might as well not show up. Arians needs to make sure he doesn't get sucked into the "we have to go down field" 15 times a game mentality like we saw a couple weeks ago. Take what they give you and mix in the long plays when they are available. When Ben sees a 1 on 1 with Wallace or some situation where there's a receiver uncovered or maybe a DB playing very far off the line, then you audible into a play that can get you a big chunk of yardage.

With the Patriots it's all about being patient. That's what Brady does. They are happy with 6-7 yds. a pass and then break one for 15 yds here and there. They'll march down the field, wear out your defense and score.

Yea Brady does that for the most part but then boom he will hit you deep like he did with Deion Branch in the 2004 AFC title game.......The short passing game will allow for the deep ball to open up eventually......I think Belichick will do put a plan in place to limit Mike Wallace.....So Brown and Sanders better be ready to play a huge role this week......This might finally be the game were Ben finally connects deep with Sanders or Brown......

Diehardsteel
10-25-2011, 11:52 PM
I'd say the ground game is most important. Time of possession is always important but it's especially so when you're going up against Brady. I'd love to see a solid ground game (REDMAN PLEASE?) and those short dink and dunk passes that you and BlitzburghRockCity mentioned. I'd really love our chances should we be able to do that.

--- Added 10/25/2011 at 09:52 PM ---

Establish the SMACKDOWN!!!

Or this. Pretty much... :cope:

Nolrog
10-26-2011, 07:52 AM
I would love to see them rush on the first play, and then on the 2nd, look for a long bomb to Wallace to show that we have quick strike capability and they need to respect that. That should loosen the Pats D and help in the short passing and run game.

K Train
10-26-2011, 11:43 AM
i think you gotta run mendenhall outside early and often. dont wanna run right at wilfork and haynesworth, but the ground game is definitely effective against them on the outside

Rampage
10-26-2011, 12:12 PM
i think you gotta run mendenhall outside early and often. dont wanna run right at wilfork and haynesworth, but the ground game is definitely effective against them on the outside

They look susceptible to stretch plays from what I have seen; their guys over pursue a lot. Still, Arians will decide they need to play smashmouth football and he'll run straight into the line.

Goodfrom55
10-26-2011, 06:28 PM
My honest opinion here? You have to establish the running game. BUT. . . I'm sure NE will execute a lot of run blitzes on 1st down (especially). Regarding personnel, I believe that Redman is better suited to run vs the Pats than Mendy. He is a harder, more punishing runner and would hope if the game dictates such, he is able to get about 15 carries. I would still use Mendy, but would make sure Red gets his share of carries here.

steelersbabex25
10-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Pass, not even a question in my mind, especially if they give 99% of the touches to Mendy and don't give the other RBs an opportunity. With the weapons that we have in the passing game, we should be able to shred up their secondary. But, we "should" be able to shred most secondaries, if it weren't for a certain person on the coaching staff that screws us over every game.

K Train
10-26-2011, 07:06 PM
i know you hate mendenhall but hes the type of runner that gives NE fits

Stairwayto7
10-26-2011, 07:22 PM
I would ,love to be able to establish the run, with Mendy. The more our O is on the field the more brady is on the sidelines

Nolrog
10-26-2011, 07:44 PM
i think you gotta run mendenhall outside early and often.

I'd prefer to not see Mendenhal trip himself with his stutter step again. We need someone who'll put his shoulder down in that spot and plow for as many yards as possible.

K Train
10-26-2011, 08:13 PM
I'd prefer to not see Mendenhal trip himself with his stutter step again. We need someone who'll put his shoulder down in that spot and plow for as many yards as possible.

yeah lets send redman right into wilfork and haynesworth....that will get the job done 1 yard at a time, well at least it will be a hard earned 1 yard right?

Rampage
10-27-2011, 04:23 PM
yeah lets send redman right into wilfork and haynesworth....that will get the job done 1 yard at a time, well at least it will be a hard earned 1 yard right?

He'll put a lot of heart into each yard, though.

:lol:

Goodfrom55
10-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Let's hope the Steelers have that Dilema regarding running the ball. If so, that means they are winning the game and aren't 3 TD's down.

Mendy is the man, but Red would be a good compliment to him, especially if Haynesworthless quits.

steelersbabex25
10-27-2011, 05:01 PM
i know you hate mendenhall but hes the type of runner that gives NE fits

I don't hate Mendenhall, I just think he should be sharing the carries.

K Train
10-27-2011, 05:28 PM
and he does....redman is getting way more snaps then he should.

Goodfrom55
10-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't hate Mendenhall, I just think he should be sharing the carries.

I agree with that, Red should get about 6-10 carries a game. If he is effective, he gets more, if not, he gets less.

K Train
10-27-2011, 05:42 PM
he gets that.....

steelersbabex25
10-27-2011, 05:56 PM
he gets that.....

Does he?

3 carries against Bal.
10 carries against Sea. (don't recall why he got that many)
3 caries against Ind.
6 carries against Hou.
15 carries against Ten. (when Mendy was out, obviously)
4 carries against Jac.
6 carries against Ari.

You think an average of 5 carries a game (excluding the game that Mendenhall was out) is way more than he should be getting? :rolleyes:

K Train
10-27-2011, 06:05 PM
its funny how you say you dont hate mendenhall, but you act like redman, even though averaging 6.7 carries per game and even more snaps should get way more. hes getting plenty of split carries for an average backup RB...its not like we have michael bush or ladanian tomlinson backing up mendenhall

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Rashard Spindenfall better have a good game

UKSTEELER
10-27-2011, 06:41 PM
We'll be passing a lot. O'line can't open holes, and that's all the excuse Arians needs.

But two decent called games in a row is asking a lot of BA.

K Train
10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
line cant pass block either lol

patriots are very vulnerable against outside runs..their DEs, OLBs and corners are week.

DTs and MLBs are stud run stuffers though. their pass defense isnt even close to what they were expecting this year with some serious potential in guys like dowling, mccourtey, and chung