PDA

View Full Version : Albert Haynesworth & Vince Wilfork vs the Steelers offensive line

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Haynesworth has been pretty quiet this year since the Patriots signed him. He's one of those guys that when he wants to play he's almost unblockable. However he's not exactly lighting up the stat sheet so far in 2011. He's still a concern though for Sean Kugler's group.

Depending on who he lines up against on any given play I would suspect the Steelers will end up having double team or use one of the Tight Ends to chip him. I'm not sold that he's going to completely dominate anybody, not even the Steelers line but they still have to be careful to not let him start teeing off and get in the backfield. Look for Bruce Arians to keep Heath Miller or David Johnson in to help block early on to see how things go. If Pouncey, Foster, and Kemoeatu can handle their own that will allow Ben to use both of his tight ends as weapons in the passing game more often. Playing against an offense like the Patriots you need every available player to make a play but first and foremost the protection of Big Ben has to be solid.

Haynesworth is as strong as an ox and like we said when he wants to play, he can be the best in the business. The line of scrimmage needs to be established for the Steelers and they need to take control of the game from the get go. If Haynesworth starts getting pressure it will be more difficult to stop him as the game goes on because you have to commit extra help which could free up the pass rush from another angle.

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
The only thing that worries me about Haynesworth is him stomping on someone's skull.

W5nlEA8BUTQ

Patsfan1
10-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Just stopping in to say hoping for a great game on Sunday.

No worries about AH. Being a member of the patriots, he's pretty happy here and has been a model citizen on and off the field. The stats may not show that he's much of a threat on the field, but be assured that the fact that teams have to double and triple cover him makes his purpose on the team apparent.

We knew of his history when he came here, but with some age has apparently come some understanding of the dangers that his physicality posed. I'm sure you can understand that, having some players that have initiated some, shall we say, compromising hits to other players.

That being said, it should be interesting.

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Just stopping in to say hoping for a great game on Sunday.

No worries about AH. Being a member of the patriots, he's pretty happy here and has been a model citizen on and off the field. The stats may not show that he's much of a threat on the field, but be assured that the fact that teams have to double and triple cover him makes his purpose on the team apparent.

We knew of his history when he came here, but with some age has apparently come some understanding of the dangers that his physicality posed. I'm sure you can understand that, having some players that have initiated some, shall we say, compromising hits to other players.

That being said, it should be interesting.

Do you understand sarcasm :dunno:

JensK
10-25-2011, 05:10 PM
AH is an interruptive force if there ever was one if he feels like it. It'll be very interesting seeing pouncey up against him.

Patsfan1
10-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Do you understand sarcasm :dunno:

I'm not following you. I just read you post about stomping on someone's skull and posted that, while I certainly understand your concerns, he's really shown none of that past behavior while here.

AH is an interruptive force if there ever was one if he feels like it. It'll be very interesting seeing pouncey up against him.

It should be a great match-up, no doubt.

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm not following you. I just read you post about stomping on someone's skull and posted that, while I certainly understand your concerns, he's really shown none of that past behavior while here.

I was joking. I mean, who would be stupid enough to try to crack somebody's skull twice right? But then again, who would be stupid enough to try to do it once...

Patsfan1
10-25-2011, 05:21 PM
I was joking. I mean, who would be stupid enough to try to crack somebody's skull twice right? But then again, who would be stupid enough to try to do it once...

Well, not to have this degrade into anything nasty, but it could be said that James Harrison might fit into that category, pursuing the same hit after the first fine, right?

I'm really just here to have a discussion, not get into anything. These two teams have had a great rivalry for the best part of a decade, and it's always interesting to hear other viewpoints.

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Well, not to have this degrade into anything nasty, but it could be said that James Harrison might fit into that category, pursuing the same hit after the first fine, right?

I'm really just here to have a discussion, not get into anything. These two teams have had a great rivalry for the best part of a decade, and it's always interesting to hear other viewpoints.

:lol: I'd say that there's a difference between trying to make a football tackle and deliberately stomping on someone's bare face with your cleats. That's just me I guess.

And that's all I will say about that. :welcome:

Rampage
10-25-2011, 05:24 PM
I am much more concerned with how Wilfork will match up against the offensive line. Casey Hampton thinks he's big.

Patsfan1
10-25-2011, 05:37 PM
It will be an interesting match-up to see Wilfork and AH against your O guys. Wilfork plays most snaps, but AH is only in about half the game, if that. Andre Carter is a beast on the outside and appears to be getting better every game.

Stairwayto7
10-25-2011, 05:49 PM
This will be our new lines first test

Patsfan1
10-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Our front line defense has been improving every week after the dismal start. We're finally getting some pressure on the QB, and managing to stop the run. The secondary is still suspect, but since we've switched back from zone to man coverage, the CBs have been having better success at getting to the receivers. Arrington now leads the league in interceptions, and Chung is all over the field.

Stairwayto7
10-25-2011, 06:02 PM
I will say this Chung does see the entire field and has good range, I do though like Wallaces chance of getting deep

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Our front line defense has been improving every week after the dismal start. We're finally getting some pressure on the QB, and managing to stop the run. The secondary is still suspect, but since we've switched back from zone to man coverage, the CBs have been having better success at getting to the receivers. Arrington now leads the league in interceptions, and Chung is all over the field.

Unfortunately for the Patriots, it's your CBs that you're gonna have to worry about. You can't really win with the weapons that we have on offense. You double up on Wallace, you leave Manny and Brown open to do some damage. You go single coverage on Wallace, he tears up your secondary. It's a lose lose situation for opposing defenses.

Patsfan1
10-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Unfortunately for the Patriots, it's your CBs that you're gonna have to worry about. You can't really win with the weapons that we have on offense. You double up on Wallace, you leave Manny and Brown open to do some damage. You go single coverage on Wallace, he tears up your secondary. It's a lose lose situation for opposing defenses.

I'm not so sure you're right. I think if we get enough pressure on your QB, which we've had success doing in the past, he makes mistakes and throws INTs. Wallace is very fast and is turning into a phenom, but I think McCourty is a good match-up for him. They were able to contain Holmes and Burress, shut down the Jets' TE, in our last game, and pretty much completely shut down their running game.

Belichick always plan to take away the greatest threat. I'll be interested to see who he tries to take out this week, whether it's Wallace or Mendenhall.

Also, I'm not all that worried about your offense. I think our offense puts up enough points to cover whatever our defense might be lacking in.

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm not so sure you're right. I think if we get enough pressure on your QB, which we've had success doing in the past, he makes mistakes and throws INTs. Wallace is very fast and is turning into a phenom, but I think McCourty is a good match-up for him. They were able to contain Holmes and Burress, shut down the Jets' TE, in our last game, and pretty much completely shut down their running game.

Belichick always plan to take away the greatest threat. I'll be interested to see who he tries to take out this week, whether it's Wallace or Mendenhall.

Also, I'm not all that worried about your offense. I think our offense puts up enough points to cover whatever our defense might be lacking in.

Wishful thinking, but there hasn't been a CB yet that has been able to keep up with Wallace. In the games that he has under 100 yards, it's because of dumb play calling by BA. In the games that he's had over 100 yards..well, that's it. He's had over 100 yards. If McCourty does manage to shut him down, I'll offer up my props, for whatever that's worth.

I can guarantee you though, if BB is planning to take away the greatest threat, I highly doubt he's trying to take out Rashard Mendenhall. He's been a threat in a grand total of one game this year.

Goodfrom55
10-25-2011, 06:24 PM
That's the beauty of the Steelers though. You take away Wallace, we have Brown and Sanders and Heath. You play Nickel Defense, Mendy or Redman or whoever will run the ball.

It's honestly not much of a rivalry since the Pats have won most meetings, but the Steelers aim to change that on Sunday.

Stairwayto7
10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
That's the beauty of the Steelers though. You take away Wallace, we have Brown and Sanders and Heath. You play Nickel Defense, Mendy or Redman or whoever will run the ball.

It's honestly not much of a rivalry since the Pats have won most meetings, but the Steelers aim to change that on Sunday.

Outside of the Burgh most ppl dont realize what a threat Antonio has turned into. But they will! Just worry about Wallace LOL thats a smart move! NOT!

Patsfan1
10-25-2011, 06:31 PM

The same can be said of the Patriots, though. You take away Branch, you have Welker, Hernandez, Gronk, and an occasional 1st down by #85. BJGE has been running through everyone. I think your biggest threat, really every team's biggest threat, is Brady to Gronk. He's tough to take down. They've been successful against every defense out there since Gronk joined the team last year. Hernandez is still playing on a roughed-up knee, but he seemed to be truer to form last week.

I'll live with having Ocho as a decoy, along with Branch. I believe we can succeed just fine with Welker, Gronk and Hernandez.

JensK
10-25-2011, 06:37 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that if there is any coach to come up with a plan to stop Wallace it is BB. I don't at all like the guy but the guy is nothing short of brilliant, especially against the Steelers. The patriots offense just match up so well against Steelers defense its borderline unfair. I know I'm being really pessimistic about this game but I am having a very hard time finding anything which points towards a Steelers victory maybe but homefield advantage (even though Patriots usually travel really well). Hopefully Steelers prove me wrong though.

Patsfan1
10-25-2011, 06:46 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that if there is any coach to come up with a plan to stop Wallace it is BB. I don't at all like the guy but the guy is nothing short of brilliant, especially against the Steelers. The patriots offense just match up so well against Steelers defense its borderline unfair. I know I'm being really pessimistic about this game but I am having a very hard time finding anything which points towards a Steelers victory maybe but homefield advantage (even though Patriots usually travel really well). Hopefully Steelers prove me wrong though.

I think everyone from both fanbases gets nervous when these two teams meet. It's usually a hard-fought battle. Granted, we have had more luck in the last decade against your team than you against us, but you know the old saying, Any Given Sunday.

JensK
10-25-2011, 06:55 PM
I think everyone from both fanbases gets nervous when these two teams meet. It's usually a hard-fought battle. Granted, we have had more luck in the last decade against your team than you against us, but you know the old saying, Any Given Sunday.

Certainly. As I said, I hope they can surprise me. But if you break it down the match-up is not at all favorable for Steelers:

First of all, Steelers stop the run. Patriots don't run the ball so that is a wasted effort (exaggeration is a wonderful thing). So the Patriots will come out throwing. That is usually not bad news as such for Steelers. However, BB and Brady knows exactly how to attack us. Short drops and quick releases all night long to those two pesky TEs and Welker. Steelers have nothing to stop it. Their zones usually player deeper which leaves Farrior and Foote to cover them. Oh the horror.

Steelers are capable of putting up quite a few points as well, but they are really not interested in scoring fast TDs. They want to keep Brady off the field. Sadly we only have 1 starter left from the original o-line which limits the productivity quite a bit. add to that fact that patriots rank dead last against the pass and we SHOULD see Steelers trying to air it out. However, Steelers don't use the same short drop-back systems such as the Patriots. We're all about the deep throw these days which is fine against a lesser talented d-line but I foresee Big Ben spending a lot of time on his back if they don't find a way to get rid of the ball early. Excuse my negativity, but I don't at all trust BA to find a solution to that.

To me, the only way Steelers can win this is by having a great day on the ground or hoping for our pass-rush to deliver miracles. If not, Brady is going to destroy us, sadly. :imho:

Little sad fact: In the Patriots' past two games against them, dating to 2007, Brady has completed 70 percent of his passes for 749 yards with seven touchdowns and no interceptions.

Patsfan1
10-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Certainly. As I said, I hope they can surprise me. But if you break it down the match-up is not at all favorable for Steelers:

First of all, Steelers stop the run. Patriots don't run the ball so that is a wasted effort (exaggeration is a wonderful thing). So the Patriots will come out throwing. That is usually not bad news as such for Steelers. However, BB and Brady knows exactly how to attack us. Short drops and quick releases all night long to those two pesky TEs and Welker. Steelers have nothing to stop it. Their zones usually player deeper which leaves Farrior and Foote to cover them. Oh the horror.

Steelers are capable of putting up quite a few points as well, but they are really not interested in scoring fast TDs. They want to keep Brady off the field. Sadly we only have 1 starter left from the original o-line which limits the productivity quite a bit. add to that fact that patriots rank dead last against the pass and we SHOULD see Steelers trying to air it out. However, Steelers don't use the same short drop-back systems such as the Patriots. We're all about the deep throw these days which is fine against a lesser talented d-line but I foresee Big Ben spending a lot of time on his back if they don't find a way to get rid of the ball early. Excuse my negativity, but I don't at all trust BA to find a solution to that.

To me, the only way Steelers can win this is by having a great day on the ground or hoping for our pass-rush to deliver miracles. If not, Brady is going to destroy us, sadly. :imho:

Little sad fact: In the Patriots' past two games against them, dating to 2007, Brady has completed 70 percent of his passes for 749 yards with seven touchdowns and no interceptions.

I get what you're saying. Ben is not adept at getting rid of the ball quickly and definitely holds on too long waiting for a WR to open up down field. I don't know if that's just him or if it's your OC or a combination. It does become predictable but not always stoppable, so you have that. I'm hoping that our D finally learns how to sack :banging: but I'm not going to hang my hat on it.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Nobody gave the Steelers much of a chance with a rookie QB in 2004 to beat the Pats led by Brady but they did....I agree the Pats always match up well with the Steelers and its going to take flawless execution by the Steelers to beat the Pats......Plus the Steelers D must force some turn overs like that game in 2004....Easier said then done no doubt......The Steelers must find a way to pressure Marsha.....sorry Patsfan1 just alittle friendly jab there....lol

Its going to be interesting to see how the Steelers plan on how they cover Gronk/Hernandez....I'm sure Ike will shadow Welker all over the field.....But please no Willie Gay on Gronk this year.....lol It was unfair to ask Gay to cover Gronk last year....

JensK
10-25-2011, 07:07 PM
I get what you're saying. Ben is not adept at getting rid of the ball quickly and definitely holds on too long waiting for a WR to open up down field. I don't know if that's just him or if it's your OC or a combination. It does become predictable but not always stoppable, so you have that. I'm hoping that our D finally learns how to sack :banging: but I'm not going to hang my hat on it.

Its Ben all the way. Very few plays in any NFL playbook will have your QB holding the ball for very long. It should be noted though that many times, Ben does not really hold on to the ball for that long he just have to run away because the line is unable to give him any time in there. Man, I would love to see our WRs and Big Ben standing behind Texans o-line or something like that.

--- Added 10/25/2011 at 06:07 PM ---

Nobody gave the Steelers much of a chance with a rookie QB in 2004 to beat the Pats led by Brady but they did....I agree the Pats always match up well with the Steelers and its going to take flawless execution by the Steelers to beat the Pats......Plus the Steelers D must force some turn overs like that game in 2004....Easier said then done no doubt......The Steelers must find a way to pressure Marsha.....sorry Patsfan1 just alittle friendly jab there....lol

Its going to be interesting to see how the Steelers plan on how they cover Gronk/Hernandez....I'm sure Ike will shadow Welker all over the field.....But please no Willie Gay on Gronk this year.....lol It was unfair to ask Gay to cover Gronk last year....

I'm hoping to see some Keenan Lewis instead of Gay and our MLBs. I actually think he has been doing really well when asked to match up close to the line.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Its Ben all the way. Very few plays in any NFL playbook will have your QB holding the ball for very long. It should be noted though that many times, Ben does not really hold on to the ball for that long he just have to run away because the line is unable to give him any time in there. Man, I would love to see our WRs and Big Ben standing behind Texans o-line or something like that.

--- Added 10/25/2011 at 06:07 PM ---

I'm hoping to see some Keenan Lewis instead of Gay and our MLBs. I actually think he has been doing really well when asked to match up close to the line.

I'm with you on Lewis...He at least has the size to match up with Gronk...Can he get the job done is the question....?

Patsfan1
10-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Nothing I haven't heard before.

Our Oline has been stellar, and Vollmer looks to be coming back this week, which frees up Solder to block on the right instead of a TE. They're going to be tough to get through. I think we'll see a lot paths opened up for BJGE, so watch out for the running game. It's been a lot more balanced the last couple of games.

The problem with covering Gronk is you need to double cover him, and he still catches everything. And if you do that, you're leaving someone open, whether it's Branch, who catches everything, or Welker, who catches everything and more. His YAC this year have been spectacular. So if you double up on any one of these guys, Brady is going to the two TEs or Welker underneath. So, yes, the key to this offense is to get to Brady first, but it's going to be tough against our Oline. He'll throw quick screens all day to someone, and let's not forget about Woodhead, who excels at the short pass and sneaks under for 10 yards.

All I know is if the Pats want to win this game, they have to perfect on offense because the D isn't going to carry us against your team.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2011, 07:16 PM
JensK I just would like to see Ben stand behind the same OL for more then one game....7 different line combinations in 7 games......lol

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Ah, that's what we all hope. But, it'll probably be more of Farrior on receivers that he has no business trying to cover, unfortunately.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Nothing I haven't heard before.

Our Oline has been stellar, and Vollmer looks to be coming back this week, which frees up Solder to block on the right instead of a TE. They're going to be tough to get through. I think we'll see a lot paths opened up for BJGE, so watch out for the running game. It's been a lot more balanced the last couple of games.

The problem with covering Gronk is you need to double cover him, and he still catches everything. And if you do that, you're leaving someone open, whether it's Branch, who catches everything, or Welker, who catches everything and more. His YAC this year have been spectacular. So if you double up on any one of these guys, Brady is going to the two TEs or Welker underneath. So, yes, the key to this offense is to get to Brady first, but it's going to be tough against our Oline. He'll throw quick screens all day to someone, and let's not forget about Woodhead, who excels at the short pass and sneaks under for 10 yards.

All I know is if the Pats want to win this game, they have to perfect on offense because the D isn't going to carry us against your team.

The Law Firm had a very good game vs the Steelers last year.......Plus Woodhead is one sneaky little RB that can make a play on you if fall asleep on him.....I would think even Ridley would get some carries as well.......The Pats can do many things on offense from many different schemes....another reason why they're so tough to stop.......

--- Added 10/25/2011 at 06:22 PM ---

Ah, that's what we all hope. But, it'll probably be more of Farrior on receivers that he has no business trying to cover, unfortunately.

:lol:.....

steelers4life66
10-25-2011, 07:27 PM
:lol: I'd say that there's a difference between trying to make a football tackle and deliberately stomping on someone's bare face with your cleats. That's just me I guess.
Exactly, Comparing Hansworth and what he did to the lights out play of Harrison is just stupid.

connecticutsteel
10-25-2011, 08:50 PM
The only thing that worries me about Haynesworth is him stomping on someone's skull.

W5nlEA8BUTQ

God he was a fat piece of **** back then too. He will not dominate anyone

Stairwayto7
10-26-2011, 08:32 AM
I`ve got a feeling That Pittsburgh going to win this game!

Nolrog
10-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Haynesworth has been pretty quiet this year since the Patriots signed him.

He's been pretty quiet sicne he got that mega contract. Unless he was complaining about the defensive scheme, and then he was very loud. But on the field, he's done little since putting his name on that paper.

steelersbabex25
10-26-2011, 05:49 PM
He's been pretty quiet since he sat his *** down on the Redskins bench and never got up again.

mwittman5
10-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Scout's inc on espn insider actually picked us to win 26-24. Their keys for the steelers were to take shots down field, pass to set up the run, and be very aggressive in blitzing.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-28-2011, 12:04 AM
At first glance, it appears the Steelers should exploit New England's soft underbelly -- a pass defense ranked last in the NFL.

The Steelers' fleet-footed receivers -- Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown -- should prance and dance through a surprisingly jittery secondary that may cause New England's usually stoic coach Bill Belichick to flinch every time quarterback Ben Roethlisberger settles into the pocket Sunday at Heinz Field.
Unlike last season's 39-26 defeat, the Steelers might be able to keep up with the Patriots' run-and-gun offense.

But the Steelers are only cautiously optimistic, in part, because they will be challenged to run against a New England rush defense ranked fourth in the AFC and eighth overall.
So far, the Steelers have followed a familiar script during their 5-2 start. Their passing game is lethal even when they have only minimal success pounding the ball between tackles.

"They have a good play-action game, which comes off the running game," said New England coach Bill Belichick. "They can throw it with not very many receivers on the field, or they can put a lot of receivers on the field."

If the Steelers are to avenge last year's loss, running backs Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman must make the most of their touches.
"If we come out running the ball, everything else will open up," tight end David Johnson said. "Last year, I don't remember us doing anything well. But we have to be strapped up and ready to go this time."

Whatever game plan the Steelers come up with, it will be greatly influenced by the Patriots' mammoth, yet agile 6-foot-2, 325-pound nose tackle, Vince Wilfork.
"He swallows up a lot of blockers," Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey said. "He paves the way for the linebackers to make a lot of plays. We've got to handle him. We've got to be ready to block him.

"The Patriots rely on him a lot, especially in the run game. In the passing game, it's a little bit different."

The Steelers are confident they can exploit the Patriots' pass defense if Pouncey can handle Wilfork. And Pouncey will get plenty of help from guards Ramon Foster and Chris Kemoeatu, partly because the Patriots usually leave the guards uncovered.
The Steelers' offensive front has been sporadic all season, mostly because of injuries. It played well in a 32-20 victory at Arizona last Sunday but has struggled against the NFL's best defensive linemen, including Baltimore nose tackle Haloti Ngata and Indianapolis defensive end Dwight Feeney.

The Steelers are averaging 117.9 rushing yards per game, which is eighth in the AFC. Mendenhall was largely shut down in a season-opening loss at Baltimore and in a last-second victory at Indianapolis. He faces a Patriots defense that yields 101.5 rushing yards per game.

Again, the challenge is to control and minimize Wilfork's ability to impact the game.
The Patriots use Wilfork in a variety of ways in their 3-4 defensive set, sometimes allowing him to drift into pass coverage in blitz situations. He has two interceptions along with 25 tackles this season.

"He's the one who sets the tone," Kemoeatu said. "Ngata might be better, but not by much."

Of course, the Steelers want to control the time of possession. They would like to dictate tempo and pace, thus forcing New England to rely on something akin to a half-court game instead of an offense that thrives on fast-break opportunities.
"We have to control the clock to keep Tom Brady off the field," Redman said. "It'll give our offense a chance to make adjustments."

Added Wallace: "When we're running, we have a chance. We don't want too many quick drives."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Stopping%20Pats%27%20Wilfork%20key%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_764231.html#ixzz1c2teUjcV)

Patsfan1
10-28-2011, 10:45 AM
He's been pretty quiet since he sat his *** down on the Redskins bench and never got up again.

He didn't play much in Washington, you're right.

But he has had an impact in NE. Anytime a defensive lineman is getting doubled and tripled by the offense on every play he's in on, that is an impact. That's playing in the trenches, where football is won or lost.

steelersbabex25
10-28-2011, 11:26 AM
He didn't play much in Washington, you're right.

But he has had an impact in NE. Anytime a defensive lineman is getting doubled and tripled by the offense on every play he's in on, that is an impact. That's playing in the trenches, where football is won or lost.

I'm just ragging on him cause I don't like him. I've never liked him. I haven't watched him much since he got to NE so I honestly don't know how he's been playing. I guess I'll see on Sunday.