PDA

View Full Version : Calling NFL QB's "in the grasp" will continue to hurt the Steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2011, 03:06 PM
I knew this was going to be an issue this season; we've already seen it happen several times. The officials call Ben " in the grasp " before they used too. It happened Sunday in Arizona; the defender had him around the legs and Ben was in the process of escaping and/or getting rid of the ball and they called him down. You could see the look on his face and the sideline was screaming too. This is what happens when you take this "player safety" thing as far as they have.

There's going to come a time at some point this season when the game is close and the Steelers are driving for an important score. When it does everyone is going to flip out, me included. Now I understand it doesn't happen every play, and perhaps once or twice a game is maybe not that big of a deal but it's leading us down a road that isn't good for players like Big Ben.

Everybody gets the whole issue of player safety, defenseless players, and all that. We're all for it, we get it but it's come to a point more and more where football is not football anymore. Ben makes a living out of escaping would be tacklers. I can't even count the number of times he would in the grasp of a lineman or linebacker and somehow made a throw that went for positive yards.

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah. I didn't know a defender being an ankle biter constituted a sack..

Rampage
10-24-2011, 03:21 PM
They blow these plays dead where he can make a play, yet they let defenders play through and crush him without a flag on other plays. He gets "protection" when he doesn't need it, and doesn't get it when he does need it.

steelersgal86
10-24-2011, 03:21 PM
yeah I agree...Ben has thrown in worse positions than that...he would of been able to get rid of the ball..that was crazy

Cricker24
10-24-2011, 04:01 PM
um, am I missing something? isn't it called "in the grasp?"

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
That's what I don't get Rampage; you call Ben in the grass when clearly he is not but you let him get leveled and no flag is thrown? It's such a double standard, band Ben eluded to it as well in his Rome is Burning interview last week.

It's not going to get any better, only worse as the year goes on and in the seasons ahead. They are so hell bent on player safety that they'll be able to justify anything they want.

Dobre Shunka
10-24-2011, 04:09 PM
I agree. Basically they are again not trying, rather they are actively changing the game.

This will come back to bite us in a playoff scenario, 4rth and 1, all or nothing.

Bad deal.

Cricker24
10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
ok, I know it's not a huge deal, but I have to ask again...isn't the term "in the grasp"? please, someone tell me, I'm going crazy here!! :)

Big T
10-24-2011, 05:23 PM
ok, I know it's not a huge deal, but I have to ask again...isn't the term "in the grasp"? please, someone tell me, I'm going crazy here!! :)

No. It's "in the grass"... Just another way of calling him down.

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 05:33 PM
um, am I missing something? isn't it called "in the grasp?"

:duh:

Cricker24
10-24-2011, 06:16 PM

This is from the Official Rule Book on NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/protectionofpasser

Protection of Passer
By interpretation, a pass begins when the passer -- with possession of ball -- starts to bring his hand forward. If ball strikes ground after this action has begun, play is ruled an incomplete pass. If passer loses control of ball prior to his bringing his hand forward, play is ruled a fumble.
When a passer is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional movement forward of his arm starts a forward pass. If a defensive player contacts the passer or the ball after forward movement begins, and the ball leaves the passerís hand, a forward pass is ruled, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player.
No defensive player may run into a passer of a legal forward pass after the ball has left his hand (15 yards). The Referee must determine whether opponent had a reasonable chance to stop his momentum during an attempt to block the pass or tackle the passer while he still had the ball.
No defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction.
Officials are to blow the play dead as soon as the quarterback is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler, and his safety is in jeopardy.

Mike Tomlin
10-24-2011, 07:15 PM
This is from the Official Rule Book on NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/protectionofpasser

Protection of Passer
By interpretation, a pass begins when the passer -- with possession of ball -- starts to bring his hand forward. If ball strikes ground after this action has begun, play is ruled an incomplete pass. If passer loses control of ball prior to his bringing his hand forward, play is ruled a fumble.
When a passer is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional movement forward of his arm starts a forward pass. If a defensive player contacts the passer or the ball after forward movement begins, and the ball leaves the passerís hand, a forward pass is ruled, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player.
No defensive player may run into a passer of a legal forward pass after the ball has left his hand (15 yards). The Referee must determine whether opponent had a reasonable chance to stop his momentum during an attempt to block the pass or tackle the passer while he still had the ball.
No defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction.
Officials are to blow the play dead as soon as the quarterback is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler, and his safety is in jeopardy.
I thought it was grasp too , the first time I saw in the grass was on a post a about a week ago and then again today. I thought it was just me.

BR7
10-24-2011, 07:33 PM

I never heard it called "in the grass" lol. I've always heard "grasp." "in the grass" doesn't even sound right. :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
I never heard it called "in the grass" lol. I've always heard "grasp." "in the grass" doesn't even sound right. :2cents:

I always thought it was in the grasp as well....lol

Big T
10-25-2011, 02:49 AM
Jesus now I feel like a complete retard. "in the grass" always made sense to me :duh:

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 02:51 AM
Yeah, my apologies. I always thought it was in the grass.