PDA

View Full Version : Ben will have to match Brady this week.

LatrobePA
10-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Let's face it, Brady will put some points on the board. IMO the only way we win is to out score them on offense...

Sounds like a no brainer but trying to shut Brady down on defense will drive this team nuts, the O will have to put up some major points..

steelers4life66
10-24-2011, 10:40 AM
I'd feel a lot better about this game if Harrison was playing. Bradys gonna attack with those little dink and dunk passes all day long. I still wish they'd put Timmions back on the inside so we'd have more speed across the middle. Just don't think Foote and Farriers gonna be able to keep up.

LatrobePA
10-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Welker and the two TE's worry the hell out of me.. They've also been running the ball better as of late..

SteelDad
10-24-2011, 11:28 AM
This game has all the makings of a Patriots' victory. They have not lost after the bye during the Brady/Hoodie years... They are throwing the ball to Welker at a record pace... As was said, they are now running the ball better too.

The achilles' heel? Their defense is NOT good. Must take advantage and take care of the ball.

LatrobePA
10-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Aren't all good things bound to end? Could this be the game we figure out how to shut them down and give them a well deserved beating??

connecticutsteel
10-24-2011, 11:39 AM
I think that if we shut down the middle we can give the offense a chance to win. I love how everyone hears TOM BRADY and says we can't win or smells like a patroits victory . Well i'm gonna cheer for my team every week and i expect them to win every week the Pats aren't as good this year as they have been.We have had more success than them in the last 5 years. Plus they have a rookie right tackle just like us . We have the advantage in that cuz our pass rush is better.

Nolrog
10-24-2011, 11:59 AM
If Ben goes in there with the intention of matching Brady, then we already lost.

They need to go in there with the intention of exploiting NE's weaknesses on defense, running the ball and keeping Brady off the field. And on D, getting pressure on him and knocking him on his butt as often as possible.

LatrobePA
10-24-2011, 12:11 PM
If Ben goes in there with the intention of matching Brady, then we already lost.

They need to go in there with the intention of exploiting NE's weaknesses on defense, running the ball and keeping Brady off the field. And on D, getting pressure on him and knocking him on his butt as often as possible.

If they score a TD, we need to score getting behind will kill us..

SteelDad
10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I think that if we shut down the middle we can give the offense a chance to win. I love how everyone hears TOM BRADY and says we can't win or smells like a patroits victory . Well i'm gonna cheer for my team every week and i expect them to win every week the Pats aren't as good this year as they have been.We have had more success than them in the last 5 years. Plus they have a rookie right tackle just like us . We have the advantage in that cuz our pass rush is better.

I have no reason to smell anything OTHER than a Pats victory. What have done against Brady to think otherwise? Looking back at the games against NE with Hoodie as HC, we usually end up beating ourselves. Poor tackling, turnovers, bad special teams, etc. This is a classic case of where offense cannot settle for field goals. If we aren't scoring TD's we are going to be in trouble.

cmerrifield
10-24-2011, 12:29 PM
I have no reason to smell anything OTHER than a Pats victory. What have done against Brady to think otherwise? Looking back at the games against NE with Hoodie as HC, we usually end up beating ourselves. Poor tackling, turnovers, bad special teams, etc. This is a classic case of where offense cannot settle for field goals. If we aren't scoring TD's we are going to be in trouble.

I think this is the first year we match NE on offense. We have as many weapons on offense as they do. It will come down to gameplan on offense and execution on D.

Big T
10-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Our offensive line will crumble, making their D look like the Ravens', BA's fantastic playcalling will be in midseason form, and our defense will have no answer for Hernandez, Gronkowski, or Welker. Pats 38 Steelers 17

HUNT4SEVEN
10-24-2011, 12:44 PM
If we go with the Offensive game plan we did against the Titans we win!, the problem with the cheaters is that they know our SCHEMES!!! on offense and defense! If we keep the cheaters offense on the sidelines we win MARK IT DOWN!!!

Rampage
10-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Ben plays like **** against the Patriots. Always tentative and tight in the ***, even though he'll end up making a bunch of mistakes. When it's the defense that should be afraid, it always seems like Ben is the one who comes out and plays a totally off game until garbage time.

Troyisabeast_43
10-24-2011, 12:55 PM
If Im Arians and Tomlin I am lining up 4 wide every single series and spreading the Patriots out and throwing the ball all over the field on their defense. You cant sit there and try and mix it up against Brady and this offense and hope that things work out. You gotta take off the gloves and be a little bit unconventional in regards to your approach. The Patriots defense is no better then the Steelers defense at this point and if Ben gets time to throw the ball in this game and can spread the Patriots weak pass defense out and get on a roll the Steelers can at the very least match the Patriots score for score in this game and then hope that the homefield advantage and the Steelers defense steps up at some point late in the game and makes a game changing play. I think the Steelers can win this game but it's going to be high scoring and a shootout something along the lines of 34-31 or 31-28...

--- Added 10/24/2011 at 10:55 AM ---

Ben plays like crap against the Patriots. Always tentative and tight, even though he'll end up making a bunch of mistakes. When it's the defense that should be afraid, it always seems like Ben is the one who comes out and plays a totally off game until garbage time.

I agree with you and that is what worries me. He has been playing very very well the last 3 games throwing something like 8 or 9 TD's while only throwing 1 INT in that period, He is long overdue to have a bad game where he is off and not clicking on all cylinders, and when you combine the fact that the Patriots and Belichick have had a bye week and 2 weeks to prepare for the Steelers it's going to make things that much more difficult...

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 01:57 PM
For some reason, I don't think the Patriots will have as much success against us as the usually do. I know I really have no reason to feel that way, except for one person on their team: The Law Firm. I think, like every other team has thus far, the Patriots will try to establish the run against us early. In the first 3 weeks, teams had a lot of success against us with the run, but recently, we've been shutting it down. I think they run BenJarvus Green Ellis a lot early in the game, and he'll get shut down. That being said, the first half I think will be relatively low scoring (well, low scoring for the Patriots), because I think they're gonna go with the run more than the pass. Call me crazy, but I can just see them running a lot in the first half, not leading to much.

The second half is what we have to worry about, after they've made their adjustments and come out throwing. Also because, as we've seen, our Steelers always come out to play the second half looking like they were just taking a little nap in the locker room. But I'm not going to say now that we can't stop their passing attack, because I think we can. Our pass defense has been pretty good this year, something that we're not used to as Steeler fans, so I think we're all running for the hills already. Our defensive line will get pressure, and our linebackers will be able to break free, like they have been doing for the last few games. The one thing you have to take from Brady is his cockiness and his confidence. One he starts to get hit, he's done.

All in all, I wouldn't throw in the towel yet and say this is a gonna be a shutout for the Patriots. Things are going to happen in this game that are going to tilt the tables in our favor.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-24-2011, 02:03 PM
I think this is the first year we match NE on offense. We have as many weapons on offense as they do. It will come down to gameplan on offense and execution on D.

I hope I can meet your positive outlook. Unfortunately, the Pats have had our number over the last several meetings. My fondest hope is that our D-Line parks Brady on his butt early and often and finds a way to take Welker out of the game plan. That would make me very happy. :stirpot:

Raleigh Steel
10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
it's gonna come down to lebeau and his defense. he's gotta come up with something new. rushing 3 and dropping 8 in coverage is a losing game plan. the pats have no real deep threat. take away welker and get in brady's face up the middle. force him to make throws earlier than he'd like. when he feels foot steps he's not as accurate. when he can have a sandwich and a cup of coffee, he picks us apart.

on offense, we have to have balance. not just the same amount of runs and passes, but quality runs and passes. ball control is key...keep brady off the field and churn the clock.

if we go into this game with the same game plan we have in the past, forgetaboutit! if we show them a new, different, better wrinkle, we have a great chance.

Troyisabeast_43
10-24-2011, 02:56 PM
the pats have no real deep threat.
That statement right there goes to show you how insignifcant of an acquisition that Chad Ocho Cinco has been for the Patriots. He has basically been a non-factor for them in their offense so far this season. I think Ike will be able to shut him down much like he did all the time when he was on the Bengals. It's guys like Welker and the two tight ends Gronkowski and Hernandez I am most concerned about hurting the Steelers in this game Sunday..

TheFizzman
10-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Have a little faith steeler nation. :cope:

Nolrog
10-24-2011, 03:29 PM
If they score a TD, we need to score getting behind will kill us..

Yes, that's true. But if Brady passes for 4 TDs, Ben doesn't have to as well. We need to score more than they do, but that doesn't mean Ben needs to keep up with Brady.

The best way to beat the Pats is to keep that horrid D on the field as long as possible and not let Brady beat you. And you do that by running the ball (we should be able to against the Pats) and controlling the clock.

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Cant have wasted possessions. Gotta get into the redzone often and score TDs not FGs

xBlitzBurghx
10-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Mike Wallace will crap all over their corners

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Stairwayto7
10-24-2011, 03:35 PM
I like our chances in a high scoring game. We have a good offense with the right play calling, BA should be licking his lips over the weapons that we have.
With that said i think we can score with Brady. I think our defense is better than theirs so Im looking at 34 - 31 Steelers victory. I do think that this is the week that A.Brown breaks one

LatrobePA
10-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Brady diving in the endzone last season should be enough to spark this defense into wanting to rip his f'n head off (even more)..

Stairwayto7
10-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Woodley and co. have to get to brady early and often, keep knocking him down. He isnt ben he cant handle being hit

Troyisabeast_43
10-24-2011, 03:55 PM
If Brady starts getting hit he will start crying and whining like a little girl and it could effect the way he plays the rest of the game...

SteelDad
10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
If you've watched the defense at all the last few weeks then you know LeBeau has been prepping for Brady and Co. He's been using nickel and dime defenses in situations that once would have been thought ludicrous in a LeBeau style defense. That has not been without intent.

This game really is simple... Win the turnover battle, score TD's NOT FGs and pressure Brady. He becomes very average when under pressure. The Ravens do it better than anyone to him.

tburg68
10-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Ike covers Welker, Troy covers Hernandez, Timmons covers Gradkowski.

Send 5+ to rush Brady every down. He doesn't like to get hit.

Steelers O passes 40+ times.

Dobre Shunka
10-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Hey, mark me down as one of the few. if any, positives for this one. I like our chances:
We too have an explosive offense.
We have a great D to stop.
We have a great pass rush
Our LB core, as always, is above the line.
We can go to the run, bare bones.

Sure we have to be hitting on all cylinders, I understand that, but they're pros and we go into this game properly prepared and have a good game. Well, down go the Patriots.

We did it before, I believe, it was '06'?

I was at the Cards game yesterday in Phoenix. Ben was pretty much spot on. If he and the receivers are in sync, look out.

Ben passed for 360+ yds and 3 TDs. Pats secondary, much like ours, is susceptible.

GO STEELERS!

SteelerCountry58
10-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Aren't all good things bound to end? Could this be the game we figure out how to shut them down and give them a well deserved beating??
Thats what I'm talking about!:tt02:

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I hope wood gets 4 sacks and a forced fumble

Stairwayto7
10-24-2011, 06:07 PM
I hope he gets four good hits regardless if its a sack or not

pimplydan
10-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I am always optimist , our chances at beating the Brady Pats are zero to nil , but then again , what do I know?

Stairwayto7
10-24-2011, 06:25 PM
I actually feel good about this game we need a big win this is it. I do think we need Timmons back in the middle so Worilds or Harrison healthy. Ben will outshine brady this week our defense will bruise him up

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 06:26 PM
I hope Woodley gets a million sacks and a trillion forced fumbles.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Ben doesn't always play like **** against the Pats....He was damn good in his rookie year when the Steelers beat the Pats in the regular season.......Plus in 2005 the Steelers had the Pats beat in that game as well.....El's stupid lateral to Hines when he wasn't expecting it cost the Steelers the game......Plus Ben did beat the Pats in 2008 in New England...Yes no Brady in that game but Belichick was still the HC.....Ben is 2-4 vs the Pats counting the AFC title game he lost but that game in 2005 could have went either way really......

I think Ben will be fine and the offense will have to match the Pats offense.....I don't expect the Steelers D to stop Brady unless they get some turn overs like they did in 2004 at Heinz Field.....This game is going to be a shoot out.......

SteelDad
10-24-2011, 07:01 PM
I hope Woodley gets a million sacks and a trillion forced fumbles.

I could be wrong but I think those would be records. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Rampage
10-24-2011, 07:04 PM
I hope Woodley gets the game winning interception return TD. See what I did there?

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 07:05 PM
I hope Woodley gets the game winning interception return TD. See what I did there?

...no?

MattyVfromCT
10-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Brady diving in the endzone last season should be enough to spark this defense into wanting to rip his f'n head off (even more)..

****, I wanted to rip his head off and kick it through the damn uprights after that ****. Personally, I don't care what happens in this game as long as we have at least 1 more point than the pats when that clock hits zero. Just win, I don't care how. So sick of losing to those ****s and dealing with the smug, arrogant pat fans up here running their mouths 24/7.......

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-24-2011, 07:36 PM

Not really....

MattyVfromCT
10-24-2011, 07:40 PM
This game has all the makings of a Patriots' victory. They have not lost after the bye during the Brady/Hoodie years... They are throwing the ball to Welker at a record pace... As was said, they are now running the ball better too.

The achilles' heel? Their defense is NOT good. Must take advantage and take care of the ball.

As others have stated all streaks come to an end. We ended their 21 consecutive win streak on halloween weekend of 04. And technically, they have lost after bye weeks. Not in the regular season in the playoffs. The pats had a first round bye last year and lost to the jets. Then they lost to the giants in the super bowl after the week off. So maybe not in the regular season but its not like they've never lost with a week in between games......

Stairwayto7
10-24-2011, 07:46 PM
We know Steelersbabe Woodley sacks

steelchamp204
10-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Coming into this game Ben has thrown 9td's and 1int the past threee games. So this is the game for him to come hot into. I like his chances actually outdueling Brady. We will see. Well I wont, Ill be at work :(

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Talking to Steeldad last night on the Blitzburgh Radio Podcast, he's actually somewhat confident that the Steelers can finally get this monkey off their back with the Pats.

I have no problem in thinking Ben can match Brady TD for TD..I say "can" because the Steelers have yet to put together a full game this season or play with consistency week in and week out.

SteelDad
10-25-2011, 10:13 AM
As others have stated all streaks come to an end. We ended their 21 consecutive win streak on halloween weekend of 04. And technically, they have lost after bye weeks. Not in the regular season in the playoffs. The pats had a first round bye last year and lost to the jets. Then they lost to the giants in the super bowl after the week off. So maybe not in the regular season but its not like they've never lost with a week in between games......

Excellent points about the byes in the playoffs.... My gut is telling me we are going to find a way to win this game. I don't think they'll have an answer for Brown or Sanders and I think we'll be able to 'limit' Welker and co. just enough.

Rampage
10-25-2011, 12:13 PM
...no?

Not really....

I wished for a win! That's less likely to occur than anything else. C'mon guys.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2011, 09:52 PM
There is no way the Patriots secondary can keep up with our wide receivers. It's just not going to happen. Belichick will find a way to get pressure on Ben, he always does. If the offensive line does it job, Ben can shred their defense as much as Brady shreds ours. If this is a shoot out I won't be surprised.

Wallace is the fastest player in the league; Brown is extremely fast well and Sanders has very good speed. A big key in this game though is, lets see if Heath Miller can get 6-7 catches in this game atleast, hell I'd say get him the ball 10 times. Nobody can hang with Miller, he's money every time. Use Heath in that short to intermediate route, use Wallace and Brown in the slant patterns and set them up to go deep.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Just listening to Sirius NFL Radio on the way home from my kids soccer practice, Tim Ryan made a good point. How is Ben going to be beat Brady, How are the Steelers going to be their nemesis in the Patriots...by outscoring them. It's as simple as that.

Unless Lebeau is coming up with a scheme that he doesn't usually deploy it's going to take a shoot out and Ben is perfectly capable of playing in a shootout if he has too.