PDA

View Full Version : Steelers can't play to not lose the game against the Patriots

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Anyone who watched the Patriots and Cowboys game last week knows that you can never count the Patriots offense down for the count. Ever. Even if the score is 20-0 with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter, or any other ridiculous scenario. You simply cannot underestimate what Tom Brady can do. Ironically, playing to win the game is something that, as we've seen far too often this year, the Steelers can't do. We discussed it on the gameday thread, that once they're up by one score, they go both into prevent defense and prevent offense mode. Prevent defense to prevent the score (which obviously never works), prevent offense to prevent the turnover.

Not saying that it's impossible by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that the Steelers play up to their opponent is something that could very well help them in this game. But, if they want to be competitive with the Patriots, which is something that they've definitely had some trouble with in the past, they need to keep the pedal to the metal, both on offense and on defense, through the entire 60 minutes.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2011, 09:25 PM
The Steelers execution has to be flawless period against New England.....No stupid penalties to kill drives and Arians must go for the kill shot every time......I'm not saying throw deep every play but if Ben and the passing game is in sync then keep throwing the ball period......Don't go run heavy if you have a lead......I really don't expect the Steelers defense to stop Brady and the Pats offense unless they force some turn overs like they did back in 2004 in Ben's rookie year.....The Steelers jumped on the Pats early in that game and the Steelers need to do that again to beat Brady......I'm confident the Steelers offense can match the Pats.....The young WR's are improving and the OL has looked solid.....

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm not worried about our offense in this game because, as much as some people on this board would like to disagree, their defense just is not as good as it used to be by far. I'm worried about our defense being picked apart by Brady and Welker. Our team needs to take a good look at some of the game film from teams who have somewhat kept the Patriots offense in check, mimick that, and do it for the entire game.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm not worried about our offense in this game because, as much as some people on this board would like to disagree, their defense just is not as good as it used to be by far. I'm worried about our defense being picked apart by Brady and Welker. Our team needs to take a good look at some of the game film from teams who have somewhat kept the Patriots offense in check, mimick that, and do it for the entire game.

Well the offense will have to match 'Brady and the Pats point for point...I don't expect the Steelers D to stop Brady at all...He just kills us...Unless the Steelers force some early turn overs like they did vs the Pats and Brady back in 2004 at Heinz Field....Townsend had a pick six in that game and I believe Ike even had a pick if memory serves me correct.....

connecticutsteel
10-23-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm not worried about the defense .Even though then offense looked good i think that the offense plays not to lose more than the defense. The defense is getting stronger and younger

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm not worried about the defense .Even though then offense looked good i think that the offense plays not to lose more than the defense. The defense is getting stronger and younger

Heyward and Hood must pressure Brady.....along with Keisel........Brady and Pats always seem to pick up our blitzes......The DL will be key in this game.....

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 09:39 PM
This game will most likely be a shoot out. Like I said, it's not our offense I'm worried about. Ben and the young guys will put up some big numbers against a deflated Patriots defense. It's our defense that needs to step up big time and show the rest of the league what they're made of. Brady will put up a lot of points, obviously. He always does against the Steelers. But it's a matter of putting a stop to it at times, not letting him march up and down the field on every drive.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2011, 09:41 PM
This game will most likely be a shoot out. Like I said, it's not our offense I'm worried about. Ben and the young guys will put up some big numbers against a deflated Patriots defense. It's our defense that needs to step up big time and show the rest of the league what they're made of. Brady will put up a lot of points, obviously. He always does against the Steelers. But it's a matter of putting a stop to it at times, not letting him march up and down the field on every drive.

Like I said forcing some turn overs like the Steelers D did in 2004....I'm not counting on it though and I'm thinking the Steelers offense must win this game for us....I just don't see the Steelers D pressuring Brady consistently unless the Steelers D can get to Brady by rushing just 3 or 4 men.......I would say blitz his *** but he seems to kills us when we do....lol

Diehardsteel
10-23-2011, 09:42 PM
I just want them to hit the film room ASAP. Study, study, and study. It should be an interesting game. I'm still not really sure what to expect from the Steelers next sunday.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Well the offense will have to match 'Brady and the Pats point for point...I don't expect the Steelers D to stop Brady at all...He just kills us...Unless the Steelers force some early turn overs like they did vs the Pats and Brady back in 2004 at Heinz Field....Townsend had a pick six in that game and I believe Ike even had a pick if memory serves me correct.....

I agree, if this game is anything other than a shootout I'll probably be surprised. The Steelers defense has never been able to stop the Pats when Brady is at QB. If they can force some turnovers though that will be huge; and dare I say necessary to win.

Ben and our offense against the Patriot defense doesn't worry me all that much. Although I'm not 100% confident because Belichick is a gameplan genius. However, their D is very porous so far and Ben could have a huge day. They must play to win though as you all have said. Leave no points on the field, score every time you are in the red zone and take your shots down field with plays. If you go to sleep even with a lead, Brady will come back to bite you every time, guaranteed.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Ben will have to be at his best to and not over throw his WR's........Ben will have to be great to win.....But that is why he gets paid the money he does.....

Diehardsteel
10-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Ben will have to be at his best to and not over throw his WR's........Ben will have to be great to win.....But that is why he gets paid the money he does.....

Hey, if Romo gave Brady and the pats a run for their money I'm sure we can. We just seem to play bad once we see that logo on their helmets. It's a stigma type of thing. We must get over that and play to our potential. If we do that we'll be right with them, point for point, no doubt.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Hey, if Romo gave Brady and the pats a run for their money I'm sure we can. We just seem to play bad once we see that logo on their helmets. It's a stigma type of thing. We must get over that and play to our potential. If we do that we'll be right with them, point for point, no doubt.

Rob Ryan had a great game plan and scheme against the Pats and even that it wasn't enough for the Cowboys.......

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 09:58 PM
It's not impossible to get in Brady's head. The Bills did it. They forced 4 interceptions from him which ultimately seemed to win the game for them. But, that brings it all back to my original post. You have to play hard the entire game. You can't go hard at Brady will crazy blitz packages and whatever for a quarter, and then let up once you think you've gotten to him. You need to be in his head for the entire game.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2011, 10:00 PM
It's not impossible to get in Brady's head. The Bills did it. They forced 4 interceptions from him which ultimately seemed to win the game for them. But, that brings it all back to my original post. You have to play hard the entire game. You can't go hard at Brady will crazy blitz packages and whatever for a quarter, and then let up once you think you've gotten to him. You need to be in his head for the entire game.

Of course and hit him and hit him some more....The Ravens and Jets laid the blue print when the beat the Pats in the play-offs in 2009 and 2010....Its just easier said then done.....

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Of course and hit him and hit him some more....The Ravens and Jets laid the blue print when the beat the Pats in the play-offs in 2009 and 2010....Its just easier said then done.....

Wood is going to be huge in this game. He has to do to Brady what he's done to Kolb, Gabbert, and Hasselbeck. Get in his face early, get in his face often. If there's one flaw that Brady has, it's his frustration. Once he starts to get hit on a regular basis, he'll start to lose it. Guaranteed.

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Actually, what the Saints are doing to the Colts right now is a perfect example of how we need to view the Patriots game, and really every game for the rest of the season. Obviously, it'll be harder to do it to the Pats than to the Colts, but this is the general idea. Lay it on the entire game. From beginning to end.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-23-2011, 11:16 PM
As much as I want the STEELERS, to win they will have to play a perfect game to win. If Brady can throw a couple pic it would really help,like the Buffalo game. Then the other thing nobody is mentioning is the Pats are going to be coming off a bye,that does not bode well for our STEELERS !!

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Please tell me Silverback is going to be ready 4 this game...

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Please tell me Silverback is going to be ready 4 this game...

Not a chance. Would be nice is he was though. I'd rather have him 100% for the Ravens game if that's possible.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2011, 11:56 PM
There was a chance that he'd be back but it's going to be another 2 weeks most likely, if we're lucky.

I continue to get more cautious hope that the Steelers will not play to loose going forward. Today late in the game they continued to go downfield, even in the last 3 minutes to secure the win. You love to see that kind of attitude.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Wood is going to be huge in this game. He has to do to Brady what he's done to Kolb, Gabbert, and Hasselbeck. Get in his face early, get in his face often. If there's one flaw that Brady has, it's his frustration. Once he starts to get hit on a regular basis, he'll start to lose it. Guaranteed.

The Blueprint has been put in place the last few years...Really the Giants in Super Bowl XLII.....The Ravens and Jets when they knocked the Pats out of the play-offs....Its easier said then done especially for the Steelers......Belichick and Brady always kills us for the most part....I'm hoping for some early turn overs like the game in 2004 at Heinz Field....But I'm expecting a shoot out with the Steelers pulling it out.....Ben and the WR's must be in sync with each other....

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 12:55 AM
The Blueprint has been put in place the last few years...Really the Giants in Super Bowl XLII.....The Ravens and Jets when they knocked the Pats out of the play-offs....Its easier said then done especially for the Steelers......Belichick and Brady always kills us for the most part....I'm hoping for some early turn overs like the game in 2004 at Heinz Field....But I'm expecting a shoot out with the Steelers pulling it out.....Ben and the WR's must be in sync with each other....

And I think today's game was a good one to have before the Patriots game. The young guys definitely gained some confidence today, something that they'll need to have to make the big plays next week.

UKSTEELER
10-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Do not underestmate Arians ability to deliver a slop fest after a half decent outing.

+ farrior will be running around like a headless chicken trying to keep tabs on Gronk/Hernandez.

We need to get on top of the receivers, and get clever on offense to pull this one off.

I sense a long day ahead.

Rampage
10-24-2011, 11:47 AM
The same thing will happen that always happens:

1: Steelers get the ball to start and decide that they are going to establish the run and they quickly three-and-out.
2: Tom Brady gets the ball with decent field position, picks apart the zone and gets a quick TD.
3: The offense again screws the pooch. This time, they run into the line, lose some yardage then miss on a second down play. Ben forces a pass on 3rd & 13 and gets picked off.
4: Brady marches down field to get another TD.
5: The offense finally starts to calm down, they drive down the field, but settle for a FG.
6: Brady gets a drive of his own, but answers with a TD to go into the half 21 - 3.
7: The Patriots get the ball to start the second half and settle for a FG.
8: The Steelers go down field and get a TD on a nice, long drive.
9: Steelers hold the Pats and make them punt.
10: Ben leads the team on another drive, but again settles for a FG.
11: Brady marches down and gets another TD and essentially ends the game.
12: Steelers go down field and get another TD in garbage time to look like they were in the game. 31 - 20

Brady dissects the zone and Roethlisberger/Arians come out so tight in the *** that this team has lost the game before they know what hit them. It happens every time and there is never any response on the part of the Steelers.

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't know. For some reason I have a good feeling about this game. I think in the past we've had trouble keeping up with them on the scoreboard, but with their defense not being anywhere near where it used to be and us having a lot more offensive weapons than we used to, it's quite possible.

Rampage
10-24-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't know. For some reason I have a good feeling about this game. I think in the past we've had trouble keeping up with them on the scoreboard, but with their defense not being anywhere near where it used to be and us having a lot more offensive weapons than we used to, it's quite possible.

You know, I wouldn't even mind losing to them if the Steelers were in it for the entire game. Too many years like last year. The score said the Steelers were in it, but in all actuality, they lost in the first quarter and just got points against a prevent defense in the end.

It would be nice to see them out on the field with a chip on their shoulder.

Scorp
10-24-2011, 12:56 PM
It's so easy. Just keep pressuring brady and don't let him get the ball to his sissy, pansy girlfriends, welker and gronkowski. Oh yeah and don't let wilfork or hubba bubba or whoever that guy is, get a intrercepion. We win this time.