PDA

View Full Version : Fix/Save the Steelers Official Message Board Petition

Katmandu
10-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Copied from another Steeler Messageboard....

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION and Pass it along to your fellow Steeler Nation friends.

PETITION LINK: http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/steelersmb

[/QUOTE]

I actually wanted to do something like this years ago! I thought I was the only one that was frustrated at what a POS the Steelers.com website is.

I thought maybe they don't have the $$ to hire a COMPETENT Website developer.

Anyways, I hope others share this link with the other Steeler Messageboards and others throughout Steeler Nation.

--- Added 10/23/2011 at 07:32 PM ---

Farrior Fan
10-23-2011, 08:45 PM
I quit that board 3 years ago. It always has and im afraid always will be awful. For some reason today i went to see the final score of the colts vs steelers game and it didnt have it on the schedule. Just the time and date, maybe i should apply to be their webmaster since theirs must be a chimp with a 1990s 486 running dos

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Ok forgive me for this and honestly I don't want to sound like a homer here but I honestly don't care what happens to the Steelers official message board that much. They've made a living out of running that place into the ground for the last 15 years atleast, probably more. I know that might sound harsh but it's the unfortunate reality with the official site. There are plenty of great fans over there, very knowledable ones as well. I give a lot of credit to them but IMO it's just not a realistic atmosphere there. I would like it to succeed just because we're all part of the Steeler Nation together. I would venture a safe guess that very few people leave any independent fan site to go back to the official site for all the reasons I'm about to mention and I'm sure others will as well.

Their lack of attention to their fan zone on the official site, message board in particular, has been a blessing for fan sites all over the web. People are tired of the inability to speak their mind; and only the homers and casual fans hang out there anymore. I want to see it be overhauled and atleast be presentable because it's an eye soar to the Steeler Nation. Looking at virtually any other teams official site, their layout is better and the boards are atleast respectable with good conversation. You'll never see an official board be as open as independent fan sites because ownership doesn't want fans bad mouthing the team when things don't go right. I can see their point, to a degree, but in the case of Steelers official board it's way over the top.

That's not to say that SA or other fan sites wouldn't be around if the official boards were better run..not at all. We're here to stay regardless of what happens over there. I feel bad for those people but at the same time there are plenty of other places they can migrate too if they want.

It's always been a haven for homers and casual fans, and people who actually have an opinion that doesn't mention something about how the Steelers are perfect, gets banned on sight. There are plenty of great Steelers fan sites around the web, and a handful that are really top notch. Obviously SA is the best in my opinion but regardless we are all part of a fan fraternity that supports our team to the fullest extent but also we are realists. Sites like ours make a living from dedicated owners taking the initiative to create a site that not only honors the great Pittsburgh Steelers but creates a place where fans can hang out and talk Steelers football without worry of banning because you don't all agree. A place where we can enjoy the company of fellow and sister fans, make new friends, get the latest news, and break it down in a way that everyone can enjoy.

This place was built with those reasons in mind.

The Steelers official board has transplants all of the web; many members on SA have come from there because they didn't agree with how it was run.

Quite honestly, the mods over there have a strict set of rules they have to follow. The Steelers marketing team keeps thing under a tight reign so their hands are tied as well. Still though, it's always been over the top.

Katmandu
10-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Actually, I could give two Shiitz about that Messageboard.

I do have serious issues with the Steelers.com Homepage. It has and has had a Serious Technical FLAW since it's inception.

I don't know the full Technical workings/setup of a website, but it appears to me that the whole Steelers.com Home Page is setup in a separate Windows FRAME. By FRAME I mean the Home Page does NOT FIT within the confines of a NORMAL Window.

Depending on the Screen Resolution one uses (I normally use a Lower Resolution to get Larger type/graphics), their will be a Scroll bar that appears on the bottom of the Steelers.com Home Page. The Home Page will NOT show Fully and one is forced to use the Scroll bar at the bottom to get it to appear correctly.

I have absolutely NO other issues with any of the other 1,000's of websites I visit except on Steelers.com.

Does this make sense to any of you Computer Geeks out here ?

Have you noticed this as well ??

--- Added 10/23/2011 at 08:01 PM ---

Ok forgive me for this and honestly I don't want to sound like a homer here but I honestly don't care what happens to the Steelers official message board that much.
Blitz, I owe you and this site an apology.

I don't mean to pull Members from this Board to that Board. That was NOT my intention by any means.

My Post above this explains my feelings on the Steelers.com website.

I'm curious if others have noticed as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2011, 09:38 PM
It's ok Kat, I'm not berating you or calling you out. It's fine that you posted it up. There are plenty of people all over the world that have problems with the official site and how it's run, laid out, and generally not updated as fast as it should. I was just giving my .02 on it :)

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-23-2011, 09:49 PM
This website stuff. It is like the official anything brochures. Your not going to get the real story in the official brochure i.e. website. That is why sites like SA and others had to be created. The choice to use is up to the fan. I personally want to hear the story from the best to worst and contribute when and where I can. MO only. You can be a homer here if you like and probably will look dumb in the process. But, on the other hand no one will call you out for telling it like it is unless that is so obviously wrong, then a correction or two will be offered... Ha Ha. Experienced.

Website layout i.e. rendering. The webmaster can only do so much. Once the site launches, i.e. gets published, several factors throw the whole beautiful layout down the drain to a degree. Things such as, different browsers, computer native screen resolutions, magnifiers,viewers eye sight,etc. So, what shows up all nice and neat and properly rendered on the web masters computer is not necessarily what shows up on yours.

Ibleedblk&gld
10-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Dunno about their message board, but Theresa Varley, one of the writers on steelers.com is absolutely horrid...constant misspelled words...

SteelDad
10-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Wait, you mean THIS isn't the official message board???:stirpot:

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 10:14 PM

:rofl:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2011, 10:15 PM

I was waiting for somebody to say it.. :lol:

BR7
10-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Their website has been lacking for years. Even the more recent changes (last year?) made it somewhat user friendly. Out of the 32 teams in the NFL, the official Steelers site is rock bottom, IMO. The message board is a waste of time. But they make it easy for you to post in the right forum, lol

Dee Mca
10-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Maybe we should start a petition to make this the "Official Message Board" of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'm sure Blitz wouldn't mind having their available budget to use here.

SteelDad
10-24-2011, 10:26 AM
:rofl:

Thank you! I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

I was waiting for somebody to say it.. :lol:

It was taylor-made for me. What can I say?