PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Running Game?

SteelDad
10-23-2011, 08:50 PM
I really felt like we'd be able to run the ball better against AZ but it was not to be. Still don't understand all these 3 tight end sets when they prove to be so ineffective. To be honest, 7 different Oline combos doesn't help but I would rather see us running from 3-wide than these jumbo packages. We don't need 170 yards per game but we have to at least make the defense respect the run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Big T
10-23-2011, 08:52 PM
It's hard to run the ball when your offensive line gets pushed into the backfield every time.

Katmandu
10-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Good thing we have a great Passing game.

The OL was commendable in Pass protection mode today. Obviously a lot to be desired in run blocking.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Mendenhall 13 rushes for 32 yds.
Redman 6 rushes for 29 yds.
Moore 6 rushes for 26 yds.

87 yds. total between the 3. If you saw one of the backs get that many yards you'd say they had a decent day. You could probably argue that the running game was just effective enough based on those numbers between the 3 backs.

However, I was thinking the Steelers could run the ball today better as well. They all but abandoned it in the 3rd quarter as Ben went to the air to try and put this game away. The pressure coming up the middle today was relentless, and blew up a lot of plays before they ever got started. That's pretty hard to overcome for anyone, however you throw in Mendenhall's dancing around and you can see where he struggled.

He had 1 run of 10 yds which was good, and he was able to get some tough yards. If you factor out that 10 yd run though he was 12 rushes for 22 yds, which is pretty bad no matter how you slice it. Sometimes you just have an off day on the ground and credit the Cardinals for running the same type of 34 defense that the Steelers do which is designed to stop the run. Having said that though, you would have expected them to be alittle more successful.

jpele
10-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Once again Redman get 4.8 yds per carry but they refuse to give him more carries. I'm starting to think Ktrain is really Bruce Arians

After all why would you want a guy that twists and turns for extra yards when you have Mendenfall getting 2.5 yards per carry ?

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Once again Redman get 4.8 yds per carry but they refuse to give him more carries. I'm starting to think Ktrain is really Bruce Arians

:thinking: interesting theory...

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Said it in the gameday thread also. I was :rolleyes: when the Steelers had a 1st and goal from the 3 and didn't give it to Isaac. You think he just got the nickname "Redzone Redman" by chance?

jpele
10-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Just to clarify the situation, we know Mendy is the starter but when Redman is gaining yards you stick with him.

Clevelandsux
10-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Ya but notice redman and moore ran better than spindenfall. Ben only got sacked once, which is good in considering.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Just to clarify the situation, we know Mendy is the starter but when Redman is gaining yards you stick with him.

You say that, I say that, most of the Steeler Nation says that but the coaches won't do it. They rarely stick with the hot hand when it comes to an established veteran that's been struggling. Mendy had a great game last week and that renewed any doubt that many people had. I'm the first one to cheer for him when he does well, he's part of the Steelers after all.

However I've been saying it all year long, save for a good performance here and there, Redman's running style is better suited to our offensive line, no question.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Mendenhall has more talent then Redman but I agree Redman is the better fit for this offense........I'm not saying Mendenhall shouldn't be used at all or even start but when he is struggling let Redman get the ball more at least....But I was very happy with the lack of running game today....I love see Ben flinging the ball all over the place....I really could careless about the running game really...Its important to run the ball but the NFL is a passing league......Let Ben throw to win the game.....

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Let's not forget Mewelde Moore either. People were writing this dude off before the season started last year and this year. He's just a winner plain and simple. Not the strongest, fastest, or smoothest back in the league but he's just a do it all guy who plays with heart and will. He just comes in when he's asked too, gets the first down or the big block on a pass rusher and goes back to the bench.

steelers4life66
10-24-2011, 12:21 AM
It's setting on the bench with Redman.:helmet:

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-24-2011, 12:30 AM
We all Know BA got rid of the fullback in his offense,I think he maybe trying to get rid of the running back also...he is coming up with new versions of his bubble screens ,throwing alot more quick passes that are working and saving Ben's life at the same time...