PDA

View Full Version : Can we stop with the prevent defense? Please?

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why we continue to use the prevent when we're up by 2 scores. I just don't understand it. Teams always score anyway, taking a lot of time off the clock with them while doing it. If our defense is playing well and getting pressure like they were today, why in the world would we go to the prevent? I hate it I hate it I hate it. Everytime they do it I'm two seconds away from throwing my laptop at the TV.

Today, it didn't hurt us. But one day, it will. And I'm sure it already has in games that I can't remember right now. LeBeau? Can you hear me? Let the defense do what they do best...play defense!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2011, 08:20 PM
You can't pull that kind of stuff against a high flying offense like the Patriots or anyone else. I swear this team will give you an ulcer when they get up by a couple scores. The defense goes to sleep and allows a TD and then they wake up and pull a "oh yeah the game ain't over yet. Fortunately today it didn't burn us but you're right babe, goodness!!!

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 08:22 PM
You can't pull that kind of stuff against a high flying offense like the Patriots or anyone else.

No, you definitely can't. But I assure you that next week, they will.

jd1000
10-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Amen Amen. I have no stats on this but I am sure that the first team to get to the 30 point mark wins 95% or better at the time. But the Prevent (which has its uses) needs to be used when one is sure there is no reasonable chance that the opponent can come back and score. Factors include Time left in the game (never go to prevent with more than 10:00 left); the ability of the opponent to quick strike; judging your ability to kill the clock on the run, etc.

Like I said, it has its uses, but one has to be JUDICIOUS in its application.

JD from Utah:tt02:

Speeed
10-23-2011, 08:42 PM
And the time out situation was stupid. The Steelers only had one at the end of the game, and they were up by two possessions. Can someone explain that to me?

Stairwayto7
10-23-2011, 08:48 PM
I hate it, I understand it when up really big but I still hate it then too

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 08:52 PM
My problem with the prevent is that, like JD said, it shouldn't be used unless you're into the fourth quarter, and you're up by enough points that a comeback isn't possible. Never should it be used when you're only up by 2 scores.