PDA

View Full Version : Steelers place DE Aaron Smith on IR

Big T
10-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Per Ed Bouchette on Twitter:

@EdBouchette: #steelers place Aaron Smith on IR ending his season & maybe his career. Sign Corbin Bryant DL from practice squad

Aaron Smith’s season is over; career in*doubt
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 22, 2011, 2:57 PM EDT

Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith, one of the most underrated players of his era, will end another season early because of injury.

The team announced Saturday that Smith has been placed on injured reserve with a foot injury. The 35-year-old has played in only 15 games over the last three years because of various injuries. *Undrafted free agent defensive end*Corbin Bryant will replace him on the roster.

On balance, Smith has probably been the most valuable Steelers defender over the last decade except for Troy Polamalu. *He did the dirty work up front so the outside linebackers could shine. *Smith has started since 2000.

It’s worth wondering if this will be the end of the road for the 13-year veteran. *He started 152 games over that stretch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/22/aaron-smiths-season-is-over-career-in-doubt/

His career is over. Sucks. Once dominant but the last few years have been plagued by injuries. We all appreciate what Aaron was able to do for the defense.

LatrobePA
10-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Wow, best of wishes AS..

SteelDad
10-22-2011, 02:58 PM
What a run this guy had. Certainly looking like the end of a really, really good career. Best wishes to Aaron.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

PsychoWard
10-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Damn that sucks for him to probably have to hang it up like this! Good luck AS been a nice run!

Rampage
10-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Such a sad way to potentially finish a stellar career. The mind has been willing, the body unable. Damn shame, but hopefully he can continue to offer insight to the young guys because he sure as hell knows how to play the position.

connecticutsteel
10-22-2011, 03:16 PM
So sad to see a great Steeler go out in this manner
I thought A. gray was better than C. Bryant

MattyVfromCT
10-22-2011, 03:19 PM
If the steelers ever start a ring of honor this man certainly deserves to be in it. The best 3-4 defensive end in franchise history. so dominant, yet very underrated throughout his entire career. One of my all time favorites, hate to see his career end like this

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Aaron Smith is one of my alltime favorite players and the man was so under-rated for years......Sucks his career had to end like this but he should retire now......I thought he deserved to comeback and try to go out on his own terms......But another injury its time to wrap it up Aaron....Thanks for the memories....

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Damn. His career is over. Hopefully we can get him a ring in his last year.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2011, 04:03 PM
No question this should be the last year for him. Having missed so much time in the last 3 years, it has to be tough on him and the team. It's such a disappointing finish to a stellar career for one of the best 34 defensive lineman in NFL history. He was the guy that all other lineman measured themselves up against. Lebeau always said that when Aaron is healthy he is unblockable and can out think any offensive lineman in the game.

aaronsmith91
10-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Breaks my heart

Diehardsteel
10-22-2011, 04:22 PM
I almost can't believe it. What a tough way to end his career with the black and gold. Best of luck Smith! We're going to miss ya.

jpele
10-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Not much to add too what has already been said. Steeler Nation is losing a great player and more important a great person.

Good luck in what ever the future holds Aaron Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JollyRob68
10-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Best wishes to whatever he decides to do in the future. He will be missed but its time to move forward. What a sad way to go out for an Awesome guy.

steelersbabex25
10-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Damn. I wish he went out with a boom like the Bus did. He was the most important player on defense and one of the best players on defense for so many years. Good luck Smith, it's been nice having you.

Blazedby92
10-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Future DL coach

--- Added 10/22/2011 at 04:51 PM ---

Peter King Tweeted "If this is it for Pit DE Aaron Smith (he's 35, lost for 3d straight yr w/Oct injury), the game has lost one of best 3-4 ends of last 20 yrs."

Nolrog
10-22-2011, 06:04 PM
I wish he could have stayed healthy the last few years. The D was better with him in than out. Although, Ziggy has emerged now, so the dropoff will be manageable.

Good luck Aaron.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Wow! This is bad news. AS is one of the greats of all time. Good luck to him and his family. Thanks for the wonderful memories :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Raleigh Steel
10-22-2011, 07:09 PM
THANK YOU AARON! you WERE steelers football! one of the best!

LarryNJ
10-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Get him one last ring guys! :)

uclkyle
10-22-2011, 11:24 PM
I've heard he was a really nice guy away from the game. Too bad. Honestly speaking, we are better off without him and his contact at this point. He was a great Steeler and he will be missed. Let's hope Aaron does the right thing and retires.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-23-2011, 12:27 AM
This sucks but we could all see the writing on the wall:yesnod:, he's played in 15 games during the last 3 seasons, i wish him the best moving forward and hopefully he will be a future or maybe our future D-Line coach, with that being say i'm excited to see what Corbin Bryant and the young guys we have on our roster brings to the table, so i'm guessing Heyward get's the start at right end correct? this would be a good game to get him ready for the rest of the season, GO STEELERS!!!:tt02::tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Don't forget, Aaron still has 1 more year left on his deal. He was in the last year of it in 2011 but they added another to free up room to sign Starks.

From Mark Kaboly,

Aaron Smith still has a year left on his contract so he could be back next year. It's going to be question if he wants to be back I still personally don't see him coming back next year. I'm sure he wants to walk away on this own terms but with Heyward and Hood being the future at DE and Keisel still there I would rather have the team take a value DE and see what they can come up with. Even though they've taken defensive ends in the first round twice recently, this unit is not done being rebuilt yet. The starters are in place for now, yes but now there's a question of depth again.

uclkyle
10-23-2011, 01:46 AM
This sucks but we could all see the writing on the wall:yesnod:, he's played in 15 games during the last 3 seasons, i wish him the best moving forward and hopefully he will be a future or maybe our future D-Line coach, with that being say i'm excited to see what Corbin Bryant and the young guys we have on our roster brings to the table, so i'm guessing Heyward get's the start at right end correct? this would be a good game to get him ready for the rest of the season, GO STEELERS!!!:tt02::tt02:

Although I'm not 100% sure, I believe Ziggy will start in his place the rest of the year with Cam spelling him.

UKSTEELER
10-23-2011, 04:07 AM
Great player, quality person, his skills on the field will be missed.

Wish Aaron all the best for the future, another Steeler Legend.:helmet:

Nolrog
10-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Although I'm not 100% sure, I believe Ziggy will start in his place the rest of the year with Cam spelling him.

3 man rotation for the 2 ends. Cam should get some increased time.

Farrior Fan
10-23-2011, 07:39 AM
We will flat out drop him if he doesnt retire, this is a billion dollar business. Thanks for all the great play aaron. Btw anyone know how his son is doing?

pimplydan
10-23-2011, 08:00 AM
It's been a joy watching him play football for all these years , he is one hell of a football player , one steeler I'll never forget .

He is a great player a great person too , played his entire career under the rador , but steeler fans know how valuable he has been over his career .

I wish him and his family all the best of luck and thank him for all of the memories of him in the black and gold !

Lunchbucket
10-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Tough to see him go out like this,I am wearing number 91 today,my favorite jersey to wear.Good Luck Aaron.

andyg1984
10-23-2011, 10:16 AM
ugly ending to a great career ... funny how he went from being considered one of the more underrated guys out there to easily one of the most overrated players regardless of position in the entire NFL over the past few years..

everyone started hopping on this bandwagon in '06 and it stinks because by then it was too late ...all the injuries started happening ..

definitely not in the conversation for top 5 DL in his era, but still a beast ...

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 10:50 AM
ugly ending to a great career ... funny how he went from being considered one of the more underrated guys out there to easily one of the most overrated players regardless of position in the entire NFL over the past few years..

everyone started hopping on this bandwagon in '06 and it stinks because by then it was too late ...all the injuries started happening ..

definitely not in the conversation for top 5 DL in his era, but still a beast ...

How can you say that everyone started hopping on the bandwagon in 06? Anyone who watched him play knows how good he was and how important he was to defense from the get go.

Rampage
10-23-2011, 11:32 AM
How can you say that everyone started hopping on the bandwagon in 06? Anyone who watched him play knows how good he was and how important he was to defense from the get go.

He may have meant that Smith started garnering more national attention after the first Super Bowl. Prior to that, you never heard his name outside of the Post Gazette or Tribune.

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 11:50 AM
He may have meant that Smith started garnering more national attention after the first Super Bowl. Prior to that, you never heard his name outside of the Post Gazette or Tribune.

You never heard Aaron Smith's name in the media period. Not after the first superbowl, not after the second superbowl, not ever. He was underrated for his entire career. I mean, not like defensive ends usually get much coverage in the media to begin with, but he was never in the discussion for best DEs in the game unless it was amongst Steeler fans.

JensK
10-23-2011, 12:00 PM
You never heard Aaron Smith's name in the media period. Not after the first superbowl, not after the second superbowl, not ever. He was underrated for his entire career. I mean, not like defensive ends usually get much coverage in the media to begin with, but he was never in the discussion for best DEs in the game unless it was amongst Steeler fans.

Actually Peter King have wrote quite a lot about Aaron Smith. He also made quite a few teams of the year on different sides but other than that it is true. Same could be said about Keisel who are playing lights out this year but you don't see any mention of him anywhere.

Rampage
10-23-2011, 12:09 PM

I've read about him a lot more over the last four or five years than I ever did before then. Plus there has been the emergence of all this underrated talk, even by columnists. Whenever many call you underrated, are you still underrated?

andyg1984
10-23-2011, 12:24 PM
for the past 5 years Aaron Smith has been called "underrated" ... BB came out around '06 or so and said AS was the most underrated player in the NFL .. ever since then everyone has ranted on and on about how they thought he was underrated in attempt to make themselves look like they know a ton about football because they show love for 5-techs and in the process he has become overrated having not been a factor since '08..

he will never be mentioned in the same sentence as Strahan, Freeny, Peppers, etc and even Sapp as much as some do not want to hear that .. and i think most (myself included) would put Wilfork, Seymour and Ngata safely ahead of him as a 3-4 DL...so while i really like him personally, i think he has become overrated big time when people say he is a top 5 DL of the decade .. no way

at the end of the day he helped make plays, he did not really make them ..

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 12:33 PM
for the past 5 years Aaron Smith has been called "underrated" ... BB came out around '06 or so and said AS was the most underrated player in the NFL .. ever since then everyone has ranted on and on about how they thought he was underrated in attempt to make themselves look like they know a ton about football because they show love for 5-techs and in the process he has become overrated having not been a factor since '08..

he will never be mentioned in the same sentence as Strahan, Freeny, Peppers, etc and even Sapp as much as some do not want to hear that .. and i think most (myself included) would put Wilfork, Seymour and Ngata safely ahead of him as a 3-4 DL...so while i really like him personally, i think he has become overrated big time when people say he is a top 5 DL of the decade .. no way

at the end of the day he helped make plays, he did not really make them ..

I do agree with some of the things you said, but for the most part you're absolutely insane. A top 5 DL of the decade he's not. Most important player on the Steeler defense before his injuries (with really only Troy Polamalu coming close) he was. To say otherwise would be completely idiotic.

cmerrifield
10-23-2011, 02:10 PM
He still has one more year on his contract. They extended him another year to make room for Starks. So, we will see. I hope he would take a pay cut to the vet minimum and stay on. He is more useful as a backup and spot duty than he would be as a coach. And we would have to count is bonuses against the cap anyway, if he would retire or cut him, so the vet minimum would only add 1 million against the cap.

Clevelandsux
10-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Aaron was a good football player. But it's time to let some of these guys go. Need to start looking towards the future. I'm surprised Smith was even on the team this year,

harpo
10-24-2011, 05:02 AM
Aaron was a good football player. But it's time to let some of these guys go. Need to start looking towards the future. I'm surprised Smith was even on the team this year,

I couldn't agree more. When I said that he should've been cut going into training camp because he's only going to get injured again, some folks here didn't want to hear it.

Sometimes I really hate when i'm right..... :cursin:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2011, 08:20 AM
He's apparently taking it pretty hard; it's gotta be tough for him.

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Aaron Smith did not take much time to celebrate with his teammates in the winning locker room here. As many of them talked to reporters after they improved to 5-2, Smith walked resolutely past them on his way to the team bus.
His season is over, and at 35 his career may have ended too. He needs neck surgery, a development that only recently was discovered while he sat out the previous three weeks with a foot injury.
Smith did not want to talk about his future, he did not want to talk about much. He apologized for that and offered a few brief words about the news that, for the third consecutive year, his season ended early and abruptly.
"Just disappointed, that's about it," said Smith, who was limited to 11 games combined in 2009 and 2010 because of arm injuries and subsequent surgeries. "You work hard, circumstances change and it doesn't work out."
Smith's last game was Oct. 2 in Houston. A sprained foot kept him out, then doctors recently ran tests on a sore neck that will require surgery.
"He was experiencing some discomfort and pain," coach Mike Tomlin explained. "He thought it was a function of playing. Once he hurt his ankle, he thought it would calm down but it didn't. He consulted with our doctors and let them know what he was experiencing. They evaluated it and looked at it and determined that it needs to be fixed."
Ziggy Hood, the team's 2009 first-round draft choice, made his fifth start of the season Sunday, the third start at Smith's position, left end. The job is now his.
"I'm going to dedicate this season for him," Hood said.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11297/1184502-66-0.stm#ixzz1bhWYe4IN)

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 12:42 PM
:crying:

SteelerCountry58
10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
This sucks. If this is it for Aaron,I hope he stays on with the team and
helps with the D Line in some capacity.

Dobre Shunka
10-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Solid player.

andyg1984
10-24-2011, 07:53 PM
I do agree with some of the things you said, but for the most part you're absolutely insane. A top 5 DL of the decade he's not. Most important player on the Steeler defense before his injuries (with really only Troy Polamalu coming close) he was. To say otherwise would be completely idiotic.

When exactly was AS the most important player on our D? lol .. that is .. well i dnt wanna call it idiotic, but it is a pretty "special" statement ..

give me a year and i can name AT LEAST two guys much, much more important ...

length of tenure and impact are two different things .. ex hines ward ..

you are seriously putting a playmaker like troy in the same sentence as AS? troy is going to be regarded as one of the best safeties of the last decade, people outside of this site could care less about AS ...

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 08:06 PM
When exactly was AS the most important player on our D? lol ..

give me a year and i can name AT LEAST two guys much, much more important ...

length of tenure and impact are two different things .. ex hines ward ..

you are seriously putting a playmaker like troy in the same sentence as AS? troy is going to be regarded as one of the best safeties of the last decade, people outside of this site could care less about AS ...

The fact that you're even disputing the fact that Aaron Smith was one of the best and most important players on our defense for a long while speaks to how much you must have watched him while he was in his prime. Which, I'm guessing, is not at all.

Take a look at the numbers he put up around 2004.

Done? Ok. Now, take a look at the Steelers all time sack list. You may notice that Aaron Smith is #7, only behind Gildon, Porter, Willis, Lloyd, Harrison, and Woodley. Pretty good company to keep if you ask me.

steelchamp204
10-24-2011, 08:12 PM
We have a solid replacement for him. Cya Aaron, thanks for the good run.

andyg1984
10-24-2011, 08:43 PM
The fact that you're even disputing the fact that Aaron Smith was one of the best and most important players on our defense for a long while speaks to how much you must have watched him while he was in his prime. Which, I'm guessing, is not at all.

Take a look at the numbers he put up around 2004.

Done? Ok. Now, take a look at the Steelers all time sack list. You may notice that Aaron Smith is #7, only behind Gildon, Porter, Willis, Lloyd, Harrison, and Woodley. Pretty good company to keep if you ask me.

you put four guys he plays with on the list ... weak lol .. and yea, i was watching back then dumbass ... what is the point of talking to someone about talent that called Aaron Rodgers an average QB recently and likes memo .. at least you dropped the clark avatar ..

i think this is officially it for me on this site, peace out ..

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 08:48 PM
you put four guys he plays with on the list ... weak lol .. and yea, i was watching back then dumbass ... what is the point of talking to someone about talent that called Aaron Rodgers an average QB recently and likes memo .. at least you dropped the clark avatar ..

i think this is officially it for me on this site, peace out ..

First of all, I didn't put anybody on that list. Second of all, what does the fact that he played with them have to do with it. Third, don't call me a dumbass because I gave you evidence as to why your argument was stupid and the best response you could come up with was "yeah, I was watching back then dumbass." Fourth :rofl: at someone who leaves the site because they were proved wrong. "Peace out" brah, nice having ya. Good luck finding a forum where people will bow at your feet with every word you say.

andyg1984
10-25-2011, 12:54 AM
1. James Farrior was a better LB than Smith was a DE
2. Snack will go down as just as dominant DL if not more
3. At any time there was an OLB much more valuable than Smith

But most of all, Smith never really, really stood out with all the superstars around him .. porter, polamalu, farrior were flying around making plays ... smith was a great piece of the D, but a piece, never as much as people put on .. don't play this card.. it is outdated ..

but im done for good now, please just do this site a favor.. go away and just say you like the steelers on facebook, don't go pushing outdated conventional wisdom on everyone ..im sorry, but you are a serious poser

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Oh, hey man! Welcome back. I thought this was "officially it for you on this site," but we'd love to have you stick around and offer more of your insight. Any other names that you wanna call me while we're getting it all off our chest? I can't think of any synonyms for "poser" right now but you seem like you have a pretty good way with words. I'll leave it up to you.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Really don't understand the hate for Aaron Smith....lol Former fourth round pick who was the best 3-4 DE in the NFL for a period of time...His sacks numbers are damn good for a 3-4 DE.....I even read recently that Peter King would consider voting for Aaron Smith for the Hall of Fame........He has been a shell of his former self the last few years but at one time Smith was damn important to our defense...Our run defense went to shambles in 2007 when Smith was lost for the year.......

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 01:22 AM
Really don't understand the hate for Aaron Smith....lol Former fourth round pick who was the best 3-4 DE in the NFL for a period of time...His sacks numbers are damn good for a 3-4 DE.....I even read recently that Peter King would consider voting for Aaron Smith for the Hall of Fame........He has been a shell of his former self the last few years but at one time Smith was damn important to our defense...Our run defense went to shambles in 2007 when Smith was lost for the year.......

:nono: don't get ahead of yourself here. According to our superstar sports writer AndyG over here, Smith never "stood out with all the superstars around him." He was good, but "never as much as people put on."

:rolleyes:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2011, 01:31 AM
:nono: don't get ahead of yourself here. According to our superstar sports writer AndyG over here, Smith never "stood out with all the superstars around him." He was good, but "never as much as people put on."

:rolleyes:

I didn't understand when he compared Smith to Freeney, Peppers, and other 4-3 DL....Can't compare those DL to Smith....They play in different schemes.....3-4 DE don't get the sacks but Smith still had 44...not bad for a 3-4 DE......Its just a shame injuries have robbed Smith the last three years....

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 01:49 AM
I didn't understand when he compared Smith to Freeney, Peppers, and other 4-3 DL....Can't compare those DL to Smith....They play in different schemes.....3-4 DE don't get the sacks but Smith still had 44...not bad for a 3-4 DE......Its just a shame injuries have robbed Smith the last three years....

That's the only thing that you didn't understand?