PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger: The NFL protects certain QB's

BlitzburghRockCity
10-21-2011, 12:32 AM
The Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger) acknowledged some quarterbacks get more calls than others in an interview with Jim Rome.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/nfl/med/trans/pit.gif"I think in part because the league doesn't want certain games to be played without certain quarterbacks," Roethlisberger said. "No offense to the other Patriots, but who's going to watch the Patriots without Tom Brady (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/2330/tom-brady) and the Saints without Drew Brees (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/2580/drew-brees). That's the way it is. They want to protect those guys because they are the marquee guys of this league, and you don't want them to get hurt."

Does Roethlisberger think the league speaks to the officials about such things?

"That's a good question," he said. "I think they know who are the marquee guys and they want to protect them."

Roethlisberger said he isn't complaining about the lack of calls.

"Because the first time they throw a flag is when a guy is just holding onto me, and I know I can break a tackle," he said.From the AFC North Blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/category/_/name/pittsburgh-steelers)

You can watch the video via the link to the AFC North Blog or right on our homepage (http://www.steeleraddicts.com)
on the right side, about 1/3 of the way down on the page.

steelersbabex25
10-21-2011, 12:36 AM
76RrdwElnTU

It is about damn time that someone has said this. :clap: for Ben Roethlisberger.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-21-2011, 12:43 AM
You notice how he clarified himself by saying that he doesn't want the officials to call him "in the grass" when he's got a defender on him that he knows he can break free of. That's what worried me about this new rule from the get go.

It's happened a couple times this year already.

But yeah, no doubt, anybody with half a brain knows that Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etdc. will get more calls than Ben, Mike Vick, or most other NFL QB's.

steelersbabex25
10-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Ben is very poised when he talks. While Vick was bitching and whining about not getting the calls, Ben had a very, "it is what it is" (probably got that from Tomlin) attitude. He wasn't so much crying about himself not getting the calls as he was pointing out the league making sure that other guys get the calls. No problem with him saying this whatsoever.

LarryNJ
10-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Ben is very poised when he talks. While Vick was bitching and whining about not getting the calls, Ben had a very, "it is what it is" (probably got that from Tomlin) attitude. He wasn't so much crying about himself not getting the calls as he was pointing out the league making sure that other guys get the calls. No problem with him saying this whatsoever.

No matter how it is said they both sound like whiners to me. Shut up and play Michael and Ben. It's no different than what you hear people say about Sid in hockey, Mario and Wayne back in the day. What you heard about Jordan in the NBA, any great pitcher in MLB. The fact is and always has been in every sport that the top few guys always get the calls.

steelersbabex25
10-21-2011, 11:03 AM
No matter how it is said they both sound like whiners to me. Shut up and play Michael and Ben. It's no different than what you hear people say about Sid in hockey, Mario and Wayne back in the day. What you heard about Jordan in the NBA, any great pitcher in MLB. The fact is and always has been in every sport that the top few guys always get the calls.

It's not like Ben was like, hey, while I'm here, let me tell you what I think about this. Rome asked him about it, and he answered honestly. It would be whining if he said, "I should be getting the same calls that they're getting." But he didn't. He said that's just the way it is. How is that whining?

LatrobePA
10-21-2011, 11:06 AM
I hated it when Mike Vick spoke out about getting hits and I personally don't like to hear Ben talking out about it.. You hold the ball for 12 seconds you're gonna get hit.

The other QBs have a 1.5-2.5 second release...

Speeed
10-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Iagree. Too many times fans think the players actively seek out media to air their agendas and opinions. When in fact, the media merely asks their opinion. Twitter and Facebook is the home of celebrity stupidity.

And what is he supposed to do, lie? He gave an honest opinion. I wonder if Brady has ever been asked the question? I wonder how he would answer.

It's not like Ben was like, hey, while I'm here, let me tell you what I think about this. Rome asked him about it, and he answered honestly. It would be whining if he said, "I should be getting the same calls that they're getting." But he didn't. He said that's just the way it is. How is that whining?

LatrobePA
10-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Brady - "I don't have an issue with it, first off I'm a puss and am afraid of contact, second, I have no desire to extand a play past 4 seconds so I throw it away"

BlitzburghRockCity
10-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Ben isn't one to back off of a question, but you can tell he wanted to say more but wasn't going to give in to Jim Rome and start some bigger controversy. He's right, Vick is right, but nobody is going to listen to them. The NFL isn't going to admit they don't protect other QB's as much as they do the marquee guys.

Rules are in place to protect all QB's, that's obvious, however anybody with a brain knows that Brady will get more calls than Luke McCown is ever going to get.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Ben is right, but instead of calling more "in the grasp" or illegal hit to the head or the like on him, I say they call penalties to protect Brees and Brady the same way they call penalties to "protect" Ben. Oh wait, Brady would melt into a puddle of tears and I actually don't wish Brees any harm because he handles games without whining.

Nolrog
10-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Ben is right though. There are times that Brady has drawn a personal foul call when someone walked past him (exaggerating, but he does draw them on plays that are clean.)

MattyVfromCT
10-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Ben is right though. There are times that Brady has drawn a personal foul call when someone walked past him (exaggerating, but he does draw them on plays that are clean.)

I don't care how good brady is. Respect her ability but the dude is as big of a bitch as I've ever seen in sports. There's plenty of clips on youtube where she gets a little push after he just released the ball and she's crying to the official to throw a flag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGa_OlEUUho

God I'd love to see somebody drill the living **** out of that uggs wearing, bieber looking crybaby douche so she'd see what a real hit feels like....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

steelersbabex25
10-22-2011, 02:01 PM
I like how the announcers say at first that he, "drilled Brady." Barely even got his hands on him and Brady is up and :crying:

MattyVfromCT
10-22-2011, 02:10 PM
and i hate to do this because i absolutely HATE suggs and the ratbirds but this call was beyond bs. suggs was blocked into her unplanted knee and lightly brushed her, and she creid to the ref for a flag AND GOT IT SMFH.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSSnQrhUKpE'

even roidney harrison told marsha to take off the skirt......

coldrolled
10-22-2011, 02:54 PM
well, the same goes for the pass protection.. holding calls are limited for these same elite QB's ....

Harrison and woodley are held often. not many flags for them.

Not sure if the Harrison headlock is a hold, but maybe someone here knows if it is?
Every team does it. they get his head inside there arm and he bends over alomost backwards..

MattyVfromCT
10-22-2011, 03:31 PM
well, the same goes for the pass protection.. holding calls are limited for these same elite QB's ....

Harrison and woodley are held often. not many flags for them.

Not sure if the Harrison headlock is a hold, but maybe someone here knows if it is?
Every team does it. they get his head inside there arm and he bends over alomost backwards..

of course it's a hold. holding isn't just limited to a handful of jersey. hooking the arm or en circling any other part of the defender's body, like his head, is a blatant violation

SteelDad
10-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Its nice hear to Ben say what we've been saying for years. Apparently 2 SB victories in 3 tries isnt enough to warrant marquee treatment. Let's not be foolish here either. Ben's off field issues no doubt play a part in this. Had his life been nearly flawless like Manning and Brady and Brees' perhaps he'd be in that class. Is what it is. Glad he's my QB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

coldrolled
10-23-2011, 11:49 AM
of course it's a hold. holding isn't just limited to a handful of jersey. hooking the arm or en circling any other part of the defender's body, like his head, is a blatant violation

then there should be a hold call 10 times a game. harrison is usally in that headlock.
were are the flags. we cant get sacks and get to the QB if they dont call that.. it has been going on for a few years already.

LarryNJ
10-23-2011, 12:38 PM

The first part he answered perfect, yes it has entered my mind but it doesn't bother me. On the follow up (which Rome is very good at getting guys to say something for ratings) he simply should have said that you'd have to ask the refs that or I have no idea. Once he mentioned, Brady, Brees IMI that becomes just as much whining as Vicks comments.

Now when Rome brought up the suspension, Ben handled that perfectly and the follow up too. Rome didn't get what he wanted out of him.

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 12:47 PM
The first part he answered perfect, yes it has entered my mind but it doesn't bother me. On the follow up (which Rome is very good at getting guys to say something for ratings) he simply should have said that you'd have to ask the refs that or I have no idea. Once he mentioned, Brady, Brees IMI that becomes just as much whining as Vicks comments.

Now when Rome brought up the suspension, Ben handled that perfectly and the follow up too. Rome didn't get what he wanted out of him.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'm not thrilled with the fact that he said specific names or specific teams, but, like you said, Rome is good at getting players to say something that they'll probably later regret. I think after the segment Ben probably thought the same thing, that he shouldn't have mentioned names. But that is the only thing in the interview that I had a problem with. Everything else he said was something that everyone already knew.

LarryNJ
10-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Everything else he said was something that everyone already knew.

Yes everyone knows it and really it's not a big deal. I have no problem with Ben not working refs because he does get out of many in the grasps. I also have no problem with Brady working the refs. Every great player does it one way or the other. The Brady being a wussy or not a real man comments to me are as big of joke as the Flyers fans call Sid Cindy.

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Yes everyone knows it and really it's not a big deal. I have no problem with Ben not working refs because he does get out of many in the grasps. I also have no problem with Brady working the refs. Every great player does it one way or the other. The Brady being a wussy or not a real man comments to me are as big of joke as the Flyers fans call Sid Cindy.

I have to say that they aren't to me. Call it a double standard but I think that they're two different cases. Crosby, as a young player, did cry a lot for calls. Everytime a Caps/Flyers fan says to me, "Crosby is a crybaby," my response is always yeah, at the beginning of his career he was a crybaby. I'm not gonna be one of "those" Penguin fans who stands up and says that he is and always has been one of the toughest players in the league. He isn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Now that he's been in the NHL for a while though, does he still whine to the refs for a few calls? Yeah. He does. Not nearly as much as he used to, but he still does on occasion. But show me a captain on any NHL team that doesn't. Henrik Sedin does it, Chris Pronger does it, we all know that Ovie does it. In the NFL, I can show you lots of quarterbacks who don't cry after getting brushed with a fingernail the way that Brady still does, over 10 years into his career.

LarryNJ
10-23-2011, 01:23 PM
:lol: Fair enough ...but working the refs is all part of the game, for the players and the coaches. The styles of how they do it are just different.

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 01:27 PM
:lol: Fair enough ...but working the refs is all part of the game, for the players and the coaches. The styles of how they do it are just different.

Oh yeah, it definitely is. Does Tom Brady whine more than the average quarterback? Yeah. But you can't really blame the guy. When he gets up and yells in the refs face for a flag to be thrown when he was hit .01 seconds after throwing the ball, he'll get the flag thrown 9 times out of 10. It works for him, because he knows he'll get the flag. But, to most NFL QBs, and really every other position, I think they value their pride more than getting a few calls. And Tom Brady, well, he obviously doesn't have much pride.