PDA

View Full Version : Ben wants to run the "no huddle"

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Ben Roethlisberger wants to run the no-huddle offense more often and admits to some disappointment because his coaches will not let him.

"Yeah, a little bit," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "I feel we can change it up. I think it's a weapon for us, and we just haven't had a chance to get into it yet."

The quarterback, in his eighth season, has had two offensive coordinators, and both will be on the field when the Steelers play the Cardinals at Arizona Sunday. Ken Whisenhunt tutored him from 2004 through 2006, then became Arizona's head coach. Bruce Arians succeeded him as coordinator in 2007.

Roethlisberger, who admits to having had some difficulties accepting Whisenhunt's tight rein on a young quarterback, has a good relationship, personal and professional, with Arians, and his desire to use more no-huddle may not be an issue between them. But the quarterback admits to lobbying Arians to run it "all the time."

"I wanted to get into it last week," Roethlisberger said of the Steelers 17-13 victory against Jacksonville at Heinz Field. "I love doing it. I think we have so many weapons we need to utilize."

Roethlisberger said the Steelers generally go to a no-huddle when their offense bogs down, but he would prefer to use it in many different situations.

"I like to do it every game regardless how we're doing," Roethlisberger said.

"Traditionally, we've kind of gotten into it when we've struggled on offense, when it's a couple three-and-out. I went to him this past game, I think at the eight-minute mark [of the fourth quarter] after we went three-and-out a couple times to try to change up the pace."

One of the reasons Roethlisberger prefers the no-huddle -- and perhaps his coaches not as much -- is that it swings the play-calling from the offensive coordinator to the quarterback. Roethlisberger acknowledged as much.

"A lot of it is I'm calling the plays, so I can see what the defense is. When a play is called form the sideline, it's off of tendencies, which when you have a good coordinator like we do, they know tenedencies pretty well. I have a feel for who's playing well, who's doing good things, the looks on defensive fronts, the secondary. For me, it's a rhythm thing as well."

Arians has said he does not like to use the no-huddle on the road because it is tougher for everyone to hear the calls. Roethlisberger said yesterday he has no trouble running it away from home.

"Absolutely, we've done it everywhere. I don't think there's an issue with it."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11293/1183437-66-0.stm#ixzz1bJueICV5)

75Steeler
10-20-2011, 07:33 AM
This would require Bruce "Generic" Arians to become creative. Not happening anytime soon. Fire him and get someone with some talent to run the offense.

Nolrog
10-20-2011, 07:47 AM
BA: Do you know how hard it is to run bubble screens and slow developing draws from the no huddle? /veto

coldrolled
10-20-2011, 08:34 AM
BA: Do you know how hard it is to run bubble screens and slow developing draws from the no huddle? /veto

We have been hearing about the no huddle every week for years along with BA's other great plans. After all these years with a great OC should'nt we be getting better?

No Hudddle? With Bruce.. :whatever:

chisteeler
10-20-2011, 08:41 AM
This proves my point a few weeks ago when I inquired what the coaches would do if Ben just ran the no huddle...would they bench him? I still say they wouldn't, but BA does not like to run it, and his excuse is "being on the road." His ego and arrogance/stupidity is damaging this team.
Ben, if you're listening, just do it, screw BA!

LatrobePA
10-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Wednesday news and notes

Both Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke missed practice today, but Hoke is expected to be ready to play at Arizona on Sunday.

Jason Worilds returned to full practice today, but don't expect him to be automatically thrust into the starting lineup.

On the other hand, it looks like rookie Marcus Gilbert will go back into the starting lineup ahead of Jonathan Scott at right tackle despite the fact that Scott has played well the past two games subbing.

Chris Kemoeatu is also back, though he says the cartilage problem in his knee that has forced him to miss three games will require surgery at season's end. He said he has already had the knee drained three times.

Ben Roethlisberger said today that he went to Bruce Arians midway through the fourth quarter last Sunday and asked to run the no-huddle offense. Arians told him no, as he should have with the team nursing a 17-10 lead at that point.

Roethlisberger always wants to run the no-huddle because that's what he's very comfortable doing. But, as we've seen with Pitt this season, sometimes you have to be able to milk the clock a little bit.

If the Steelers convert a third-and-short just once in the fourth quarter, the Jaguars never get to 17-13.

steelersbabex25
10-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Isn't this like the millionth time he's said this?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2011, 11:39 AM
What's the problem with running a no huddle with a 17-10 lead. Obviously the drop back, stand around and find a target approach wasn't working. Why not change it up? I swear Arians thinks the no huddle is some type of plague the way he avoids it so much.

I'm not saying Ben is always right in every situation that he wants to use it, however in that situation last week it's not like you were an offensive juggernaut in the 2nd half. It's that type of thinking that keeps this team from putting their opponent away.

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-20-2011, 11:46 AM
How many NHs been run this year? What was the outcome? This allows Ben to control the action and BA don't like that too much I'm bettin.

connecticutsteel
10-20-2011, 11:51 AM
BA doesn't like the no huddle cause he doesn't have control Ben does so of course he will say no because he would rather be in control and win by a field goal and put the fans asleep with the boring kill the clock bullshit than win 28 to 10

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-20-2011, 02:44 PM
"which when you have a good coordinator like we do"

LOL! Good one Ben!

LatrobePA
10-20-2011, 03:18 PM
But it's OK to send in 5 bombs that got them nothing..

coldrolled
10-20-2011, 03:26 PM
But it's OK to send in 5 bombs that got them nothing..

LPA, Who wrote this in those notes you posted??

Ben Roethlisberger said today that he went to Bruce Arians midway through the fourth quarter last Sunday and asked to run the no-huddle offense. Arians told him no, as he should have with the team nursing a 17-10 lead at that point.

Who said "as he should have"

If this is a Pitt media person, no wonder BA is still here.

Goodfrom55
10-20-2011, 03:42 PM
It would be nice to see once in a while as a change of pace, but as I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago, You need both time and tempo to run the no huddle. Once the Steelers establish time on the line, then go for it.

It does no good if Ben goes 5 wide, the Cards send 6 and Ben gets sacked or has to throw it away because none of the "young money" (for the record, I hate that nickname) receivers can recognize the urgency to execute a hot route. They're all too busy going deep.

Stairwayto7
10-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Im with BEn!!!!!!

LatrobePA
10-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Maybe Ben shouldn't of talked his worthless *** into staying...

coldrolled
10-20-2011, 04:28 PM
One of the reasons Roethlisberger prefers the no-huddle -- and perhaps his coaches not as much -- is that it swings the play-calling from the offensive coordinator to the quarterback. Roethlisberger acknowledged as much.

"A lot of it is I'm calling the plays, so I can see what the defense is. When a play is called form the sideline, it's off of tendencies,

i love this... from the gazette..

DIESELMAN
10-20-2011, 06:53 PM
"I wanted to get into it last week," Roethlisberger said of the Steelers 17-13 victory against Jacksonville at Heinz Field. "I love doing it. I think we have so many weapons we need to utilize."

Roethlisberger said the Steelers generally go to a no-huddle when their offense bogs down, but he would prefer to use it in many different situations.

"I like to do it every game regardless how we're doing," Roethlisberger said. "Traditionally, we've kind of gotten into it when we've struggled on offense, when it's a couple three-and-out. I went to him this past game, I think at the eight-minute mark [of the fourth quarter] after we went three-and-out a couple times to try to change up the pace."

"A lot of it is I'm calling the plays, so I can see what the defense is. When a play is called form the sideline, it's off of tendencies, which when you have a good coordinator like we do, they know tenedencies pretty well. I have a feel for who's playing well, who's doing good things, the looks on defensive fronts, the secondary. For me, it's a rhythm thing as well."

Arians has said he does not like to use the no-huddle on the road because it is tougher for everyone to hear the calls. Roethlisberger said yesterday he has no trouble running it away from home.

"Absolutely, we've done it everywhere. I don't think there's an issue with it."

Of all the players and coaches on the team, the one person who should know this offense inside and out is Ben. He's the one on the field, getting the feel not just of the offensive players but also the defense. He's got the understanding of the no huddle and the instincts to use it. I've said it a long time ago and someone mentioned it earlier, Ben needs to say "**** it" and start running a no huddle when he feels it's either necessary to jump start our offense or he thinks it's a good time to catch the defense off guard. I'm so ****ing tired of bashing BA it's ridiculous. Knowing the talent we have on offense and see it pissed away every Sunday is soooooo ****ing frustrating. A fifty five yard second half by an offense in the NF ****ing L is inexcusable!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

coldrolled
10-20-2011, 06:58 PM
here you go. some moe arians...

Here are three questions that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians answered about the no-huddle offense. It became something of a simmering topic this week when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he would like to run it more.

Q: What did you think about Ben saying that he’d like to run the no-huddle more?
A: That doesn’t surprise me, because he likes it a lot and I like it a lot. So, hopefully, we’ll get to it one of these days. He comes to me 2-3 times a game, and I tell him “maybe next series.” (But) we usually have a plan for it, and it’s usually the third or fourth series in the game. But it wasn’t really necessary this past game. In the second half, we talked about it. He wanted to go, and I didn’t. I didn’t believe it was time to speed the game up. We just needed to make more first downs in that second half.

Q: How does it benefit the offense?
A: It helps you a bunch causing communication problems for (a defense), as long as there are no communication problems for you. That’s the big thing, and there have been a lot of interchanging pieces. So, we’re not as coherent as I’d like to be with all 11 guys to run a lot of it, but we’re capable of running it. And it may become a major force like it has in the past. So, we’ll see.

Q: Does it come down to you wanting to call the plays as opposed to the quarterback?
A: No. I have all the trust in the world in him calling the plays. No it’s the other 10 guys in the huddle functioning properly at that speed. He can play that a whole lot faster than the other 10 guys. When I see everybody playing as fast as he does in the no-huddle then I think we’ll be more than ready.

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Look at the bright side. When BA finally does leave, it'll be a VERY happy day in Steeler Nation.

DIESELMAN
10-20-2011, 07:42 PM
here you go. some moe arians...

Q: What did you think about Ben saying that he’d like to run the no-huddle more?
A: That doesn’t surprise me, because he likes it a lot and I like it a lot. So, hopefully, we’ll get to it one of these days. He comes to me 2-3 times a game, and I tell him “maybe next series.” (But) we usually have a plan for it, and it’s usually the third or fourth series in the game. But it wasn’t really necessary this past game. In the second half, we talked about it. He wanted to go, and I didn’t. I didn’t believe it was time to speed the game up. We just needed to make more first downs in that second half.

He likes it as much as Ben?:whatever: just proves that he sticks to his game plan no matter what is going on in the game.

chisteeler
10-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Of all the players and coaches on the team, the one person who should know this offense inside and out is Ben. He's the one on the field, getting the feel not just of the offensive players but also the defense. He's got the understanding of the no huddle and the instincts to use it. I've said it a long time ago and someone mentioned it earlier, Ben needs to say "**** it" and start running a no huddle when he feels it's either necessary to jump start our offense or he thinks it's a good time to catch the defense off guard. I'm so ****ing tired of bashing BA it's ridiculous. Knowing the talent we have on offense and see it pissed away every Sunday is soooooo ****ing frustrating. A fifty five yard second half by an offense in the NF ****ing L is inexcusable!!!!!

Thank you. :yellowthumb:

Farrior Fan
10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
The FACT that BA didn't change his gameplan at all in the SB when Woodson was hurt would have gotten him fired if I were in charge. The fact that he will not let Ben call plays at the line of scrimmage when Ben has been in this O longer than he has is just .... well should I quote Ryan Clark?

Raleigh Steel
10-21-2011, 05:34 AM
Look at the bright side. When BA finally does leave, it'll be a VERY happy day in Steeler Nation.

if only that day will come...BA is the fidel castro of the NFL.

BA doesn't like to run the no-huddle because he knows he becomes obsolete at that point. why give someone else the keys that you know will do a better job? it's all about job security.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Bruce Arians is used to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger lobbying for the no-huddle offense.

The Steelers offensive coordinator said he hasn't abandoned the fast-paced attack as much as he hasn't quite reached a comfort level with it. Injuries are partly to blame, Arians said Thursday, particularly on the offensive line.

The Steelers have used six different starting line combinations this season.
"There have been a lot of interchanging pieces," Arians said. "We're not as coherent as I'd like to be with all 11 guys to run a lot of it, but we're capable of running it. And it may become a major force like it has in the past."

Roethlisberger said Wednesday he would like to go no-huddle more frequently than the Steelers have through the first six games.

The Steelers have employed their no-huddle twice this season, with Roethlisberger completing 6 of 13 passes for 86 yards.

Arians chuckled when asked if he has resisted the no-huddle because it takes play-calling duties away from him.

"No, I have all the trust in the world in (Roethlisberger) calling the plays," said Arians, who added the Steelers prepare to use a no-huddle in the third or fourth series of a game if they need it. "It's the other 10 guys in the huddle functioning properly at that speed. (Roethlisberger) can play that a whole lot faster than the other 10 guys. When I see everybody playing as fast as he does in the no-huddle, then I think we'll be more than ready."

Veteran receiver Hines Ward said "that's Ben and B.A." when asked his thoughts about the no-huddle.

"I just catch the ball when my number's called," the Steelers' offensive co-captain said. "I don't want to even get into that. It's not my say so. Whatever those two decide they want to do, then so be it."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%27%20Arians:%20No%20hurry%20for%20no-huddle%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763016.html#ixzz1bPiVZGC7)

steelchamp204
10-21-2011, 07:58 AM
And again. A waste of breathe from Ben. We wont see it no matter what. He needs to tell BA to **** off and just run it. Who do you think they would get rid of, the OC that is mad cause the 100mill dollar Qb did what he wanted. Eery ****ing week we hear this, its getting annoying now.

LatrobePA
10-21-2011, 08:42 AM
I said it before, Ben talked this stiff into staying, so he has no right to bitch (just us fans)!!

ejsteeler
10-21-2011, 10:37 AM
I know we hate bringing up the past, but, does anyone remember what Bradshaw was like before they let him start calling plays...? 4 rings is a pretty good case to let a proven QB call some plays. :imho:

DBR96A
10-21-2011, 12:27 PM
"A lot of it is I'm calling the plays, so I can see what the defense is. When a play is called form the sideline, it's off of tendencies...

But what difference would that make if he can't read defenses? Oh, wait a minute; he actually can, and does all the time. Never mind...

coldrolled
10-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Can someone call their cop friends and arrest BA just before the game.. hold him in a cell till half time and let him go. oh sorry, you looked like our suspect who was seen stealing salami from Rudy's Butcher Shop.

Maybe that will work.

Rampage
10-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Run the no Arians.

coldrolled
10-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Run the no Arians.

:plus1::plus1:

nuclearchihuahuas
10-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Ben should mutiny against BA and run the offense himself!