PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu may be fined for using cell phone...10/21, fined 10K by NFL

steelersbabex25
10-19-2011, 07:48 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/901327-troy-polamalus-sideline-cell-phone-call-does-not-deserve-fine-from-uptight-nfl

While the NFL has been known for fining players for miniscule offenses such as wearing the wrong color gloves or wrong type of cleats, it is certainly on the verge of reaching a brand new low in terms of fine-worthy offenses.

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu suffered a concussion in Sunday's win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. While on the sideline Polamalu used a cell phone to call his wife and let her know he was okay.

Apparently, it is illegal for players to make calls from the sideline, and Polamalu may be fined for doing so. If the NFL does decide to go through with fining Polamalu, it just proves that it makes arbitrary decisions without looking into the circumstances surrounding certain situations.

I would imagine the spirit of the "no phone calls rule" is so that players can't call people who may be able to give them information that will help them in the game. That is a notion I can get behind, obviously, but when a player like Polamalu, who has a history of concussions, calls to let his wife know he is fine, the NFL needs to turn the other cheek.

That same sentiment was echoed by Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin who saw nothing wrong with the phone call either.

"It wasn't a personal call. He wasn't checking on his bank account," Tomlin said. "He was talking to his wife to let her know that he was fine."

I highly doubt Polamalu's wife was feeding him vital information about how Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert reads a Cover 2, so it's safe to say the phone call was nothing more than an innocent conversation between a husband and wife.

If the NFL does decide to fine Polamalu, I'm sure it will come up with some cockamamie excuse about how not doing so would set a precedent and create some slippery slope effect that will result in players ordering pizzas on the sideline during games.

This is, of course, a one-off occurrence, but leave it to the NFL to make a mountain out of a molehill. At this rate pretty soon players are going to start getting fined for wearing their hats incorrectly on the sidelines (watch out Ben Roethlisberger and Tony Romo).

Perhaps the NFL will finally use a bit of common sense and prove me wrong, but based upon how fines have been handled in the past, I highly doubt it.

Honestly, would we be surprised if this happened? I wouldn't. More of the NFL making money for stupid things. I could picture Goodell getting all giddy in his office when he saw that. YAY another $10,000 for the NFL!

I love Mike Tomlin calling out the NFL on this though: ""He's had a history of concussion-like symptoms and so forth in the past. She was concerned. In this era of player safety, you would think that common sense would prevail in regards to some of those things."

LatrobePA
10-19-2011, 08:17 PM
It was odd to see him on the phone.. I'm 100% sure he'll be fined!

Goodfrom55
10-19-2011, 08:21 PM
If he doesn't get fined, though I think he shouldn't, it will open up a major sh*t storm throughout the league.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2011, 08:51 PM
It's not like he pulled the phone out of his sock and started shooting the bull with his wife. "Hey Honey, did you see that play I just made, and not a hair out of place!"

The dude was calling his wife who was worried about him. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if he's fined because of the NFL being the way they are.

Scorp
10-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Didn't Sanchez get an arse chewing for eating a hot dog during the game? Don't remember if he was fined. Don't fine Troy.

LatrobePA
10-19-2011, 10:45 PM
If Troy does it then almost 1700 other players will be doing it..

SteelCityVoice
10-19-2011, 11:39 PM
He'll probably get fined just because the NFL can....

Roger Goodell is a complete f-ing embarrassment, to himself, to the league, to the fans.....

If he truly had any logic whatsoever he'd make a statement saying cell phones are prohibited on the field by players, however in the interest of player safety, we will be allowing a league official to stand near player benches with a phone in hand to permit players to call a loved one in the case of injury.

Of course he doesn't possess logic so that was 30 seconds of your life you'll never get back folks. Sorry.

SteelCity325
10-19-2011, 11:42 PM
I can't remember exactly when it was, maybe two or three seasons ago. But I have seen him do it once before when he got hurt. Dan Dierdorf made a comment on air, and I don't recall him getting fined. But that was before Goodell turned into a tyrant.

steelersbabex25
10-19-2011, 11:54 PM
I can't remember exactly when it was, maybe two or three seasons ago. But I have seen him do it once before when he got hurt. Dan Dierdorf made a comment on air, and I don't recall him getting fined. But that was before Goodell turned into a tyrant.

I find that hard to believe. In 2005 Jim Mora was fined $25,000 for using his cell phone during a game.

LarryNJ
10-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Next time put the bluetooth headset inge your helmet Troy. :)

Was it his phone or did he borrow one from someone on the sidelines? I wouldn't think the players would have their phones wroth them on the bench.

steelersbabex25
10-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Was it his phone or did he borrow one from someone on the sidelines? I wouldn't think the players would have their phones wroth them on the bench.

He got it from one of the team doctors.

LarryNJ
10-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Ahhh...they will probably fine the doctor too for giving him the phone, and Att for transmitting and illegal call.

steelersbabex25
10-20-2011, 01:06 AM
And his wife for answering.

Scorp
10-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Wonder if he was roaming. You think he'll be charged for roaming?

Nolrog
10-20-2011, 07:46 AM
The NFL won't fine Troy for using the Cellphone. They'll fine Harrison instead.

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Think about it. This is where we are in the 21st century. No fn wonder the team stinks. Someone is getting paid to see what player is using his cell phone and fans including my stupid self are actually commenting on this. WTF.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2011, 08:55 PM

Atleast 75K I'm sure, just because he hasn't been find yet so they want to make up for lost time..LOL

Hopefully when it comes down to it, they realize it wasn't just him chillin, sending some texts, and playing Words with Friends and come to their senses.

Farrior Fan
10-20-2011, 09:34 PM
why wasn't MJD fined for hitting Troy in the head with his knee??? I honestly was shocked when I saw Troy on the phone.... WTF?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Strong safety Troy Polamalu has been fined $10,000 for using a cell phone on the Steelers' sidelines.

Polamalu borrowed the phone from a Steelers doctors last Sunday to call his wife after he left the Steelers' 17-13 win against Jacksonville with concussion-like symptoms.
Polamalu has a history of concussions, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said earlier this week that the perennial Pro Bowler wanted to let his wife, Theodora, know that he was OK.

Tomlin said earlier this week he did not expect the league to fine the All-Pro safety, saying he hoped common sense "would prevail" when the league decided whether or not to fine Polamalu.

The NFL prohibits the possession of cell phones in teams' bench areas 90 minutes before kickoff until the end of the game.

Polamalu, who passed a concussion test at the beginning of the week and is expected to play Sunday at Arizona, had no comment about a possible fine following the Steelers' practice today. He was fined $15,000 earlier this season for making a horse-collar tackle.

Also, the league opted not to fine linebacker LaMarr Woodley. Woodley was involved in the third quarter.

(http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Polamalu%20fined%20$10K%20for%20using%20cell%20pho ne%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763160.html#ixzz1bRuS9W99)
From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Polamalu%20fined%20$10K%20for%20using%20cell%20pho ne%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763160.html#ixzz1bRuS9W99)

Goodfrom55
10-21-2011, 04:20 PM
. . .And for good measure, the NFL offices ordered a Body Cavity Search done on James Harrison.

This is all laughable.

steelersbabex25
10-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Wow what a surprise. Add $10,000 to the NFL bank account, courtesy of Mr. Polamalu and his oh so dangerous phone call.

K Train
10-21-2011, 04:32 PM

this made me laugh lol

i get that its "not a big deal" but it is against the rules, and he knew that....he really should be fined.

i remember gruden was fined like 25k for using his phone during pre game warmups week 17 of the regular season and all he was doing was asking if they could clinch a playoff spot with a tie

steelersbabex25
10-21-2011, 04:46 PM
this made me laugh lol

i get that its "not a big deal" but it is against the rules, and he knew that....he really should be fined.

i remember gruden was fined like 25k for using his phone during pre game warmups week 17 of the regular season and all he was doing was asking if they could clinch a playoff spot with a tie

Really? I thought the only people who got fined for cell phone use recently were Joe Horn and Jim Mora.

Lunchbucket
10-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Bet it was more important to Troy to let his wife know he was OK ,than worry about paying some fine.

DIESELMAN
10-21-2011, 06:46 PM
I get the whole breaking the "rules" crap, but Troy got fined more then Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew who was fined $7,500 for a chop block and Houston defensive end Antonio Smith who was fined $7,500 for unnecessary roughness. He pulled off Ravens guard Andre Gurode's helmet. Just doesn't seem right for his fine to be more then these 2 players, especially when there's directly involves "player safety".

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

LatrobePA
10-21-2011, 10:36 PM
I said before he deserved to be fined. My question is where does all the fine money go?

cmerrifield
10-22-2011, 08:33 AM
I said before he deserved to be fined. My question is where does all the fine money go?

Charity

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

Stairwayto7
10-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Rules are rules, someone should have called her for him!

TheFizzman
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Typical scum bag roger goodell. Preach safety, then players practice safety...fine players anyways...gtfo.

if i was the rooneys i would sue the NFL for harassment.

Scorp
10-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Steelers players will always get fined more than any other player from another team. We all know how that got started.

steelers4life66
10-24-2011, 06:15 PM
This just in: The NFL (http://bleacherreport.com/nfl) is going way, way overboard with fines.
Commissioner Rodger Goodell has been stressing injury prevention heavily recently, and multiple fines for late hits and helmet-to-helmet hits have been issued over the past couple of seasons.
While many of these fines were reasonable and deserved, a few others have been seemingly unnecessary or overboard. Many times those decisions come down to opinion.
However, the fine (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7131025/pittsburgh-steelers-troy-polamalu-fined-10k-making-sideline-cell-phone-call) Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu received for making a call on the sideline after getting a concussion proves that the fining has gone way too far.
According to the ESPN story, Polamalu was fined $10,000 for calling his wife on the sideline after receiving a mild concussion against the Jacksonville Jaguars (http://bleacherreport.com/jacksonville-jaguars).
There is a rule against having cell phones on the sideline "beginning 90 minutes before kickoff (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7131025/pittsburgh-steelers-troy-polamalu-fined-10k-making-sideline-cell-phone-call) through the end of the game." However, head coach Mike Tomlin (http://bleacherreport.com/mike-tomlin) said Polamalu's call was from a trainer's phone, and said he hoped he wouldn't get in trouble for it.
No such luck.
This fine is just the latest—and stupidest—fine the NFL has dished out over the past few months. All Polamalu did was inform his wife that he was OK, and if it was in fact a trainer's phone, I don't see what was wrong with that.
It's not like Polamalu is going to particularly miss $10,000, but it's the principle of the thing.
Another dumb one I can remember right off the top of my head is Redskins (http://bleacherreport.com/washington-redskins) receiver Niles Paul's $20,000 fine for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Austin Pettis.
Not only was Paul flagged for the hit, but the $20,000 dollars out of his comparatively small salary was an obscenely enormous fine. Heck, even Pettis himself thought the fine was ridiculous (http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2011/10/5/2471708/austin-pettis-tells-niles-paul-to-appeal-his-fine).
The fine on Paul isn't as bad as the one on Polamalu, however. Any time you get fined $10,000 for informing your spouse that you aren't seriously injured, there's something wrong.
The NFL is getting much too liberal with how their dishing out fines, and they need to start considering their true motives.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/906335-troy-polamalu-nfl-getting-stupider-and-stupider-with-their-fines