PDA

View Full Version : Keys to beating the Cardinals on Sunday

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2011, 10:39 AM
This is a very winnable game, but certainly cannot be taken for granted. The Steelers can ill afford to look past this game because the Cards will be up for in a big way. They've struggled this year early and beating the Steelers will be a big deal. As long we take this game seriously, there's no reason we can't come out on top.

-Get pressure on Kevin Kolb: Disrupting the timing of the Cards offense will be key. Kolb is capable enough to beat a secondary if he's given time. The Cards right tackle is nothing special to speak of so Woodley needs to take advantage of that and be a disruptive force in the back field.

-As always, shut down the run. Beanie Wells is not exactly a world beater and there's no reason the Steelers run defense should allow him to even sniff 100 yds. Considering the quality of RB's they've faced this year, this one is clearly a winnable scenario.

-Doucet & Fitzgerald - Fitz will make some yards, there's no way around it. I don't believe there's a DB in the league that can shut him down for an entire game, I don't care who it is. Doucet could be prolematic for Gay and/or Lewis, but certainly not an impossible task. This will be somewhat of a decent test for the secondary because they will be tested early and often.

-Get rid of the ball on offense: There's nothing more that Porter and Haggans would like to do than take down Big Ben in this game. Don't allow them to get cranked up and have a big day. Use the strategy that you used against the Titans. Quick short passes, put the defense on their heals early. As long as Ben can get into the flow of the game I really like our chances with the wide receivers and Heath Miller against the Cards defense.

-Run the ball but be smart about it. The Cards do have some talent in the front 7 so running the ball will take the pressure off Ben and keep that pass rush in check. They will try to come after our QB, there is no doubt. If the offensive line can hold up this week and Mendy runs like he did last week then we'll be in good shape.

LatrobePA
10-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Fire Bruce and hire Whiz... lol

Seriously, just take care of the ball on offense. Defense has to get pressure and stop Beanie..

Black@Gold Forever32
10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Protect Ben and smart playing calling are the keys......

on the final 13 first down plays against the Jags on Sunday the Steelers ran the ball to the right side on 11 of those......I really don't fault Ben at all and I do think he was off no doubt but BA set Ben up for 3rd and longs way to many times....No wonder why Ben Ben forced it deep....Ben only threw 5 2nd half passes.......BA went into turtle mode after having a big lead and Tomlin allowed BA to do it.....

SteelDad
10-19-2011, 11:12 AM
As Cowher used to say, "when you go on the road you take the other team's best punch and you survive in the first half because eventually the crowd settles down then you take your shots."

3rd down defense is crucial. Doucet is like 2nd or 3rd in the league in converting on third downs. Take care of the ball and score TDs not field goals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

LatrobePA
10-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Ben overthrew 5 sure TD's, he has to get his timing down..

Rampage
10-19-2011, 11:36 AM
The Cardinals currently have their 1-4 record for a reason: They are not firing on all cylinders. The Steelers cannot let that fool them, though. There is not much of a difference between winning and losing teams, because either team can win on Sunday. The way you beat the Cardinals is by playing a clean game and taking what you can get.

1 - Win the turnover battle. For the Steelers this season, that simply means do not turn the ball over. You cannot afford to give the opposition the ball because they will eventually get you.

2 - Win the battle for field position. Another simple one, but very meaningful considering the two teams playing: The Cardinals are not yet a high octane offense and the Steelers miss on far too many big plays. Kicking will be a part of this game and the Steelers must maintain good field position to give Suisham a chance and keep Arizona from racking up field goals of their own.

3 - Protect Ben. The offensive line has looked fine for the last couple of weeks, but the Arizona defense will be a little bit of a test considering some of the boys they've got on the line. The Cardinals will surely blitz the QB, so it is up to the offensive line to slow them down. More importantly, we need to see the return of quick, short passes to the game plan. While good offensive line play is necessary to win, the quick passes can also do a lot to help against the pass rush. If Ben can connect on a lot of these passes, he will force the defense to ease up on the pass rush to cover intermediate passes.

4 - Pressure Kolb. Kolb has not looked flawless this season and a lot of mistakes that have been made have been the products of pressure. If the Steelers can force him into missed passes or interceptions, that will make the day much easier. The biggest concern in my eyes is the defensive line: Will there be sufficient pass rush from the front seven without having the line over pursue, opening them up to stretch plays?

mwittman5
10-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Last week some show was talking about Kolb (ESPN or CBS) and saying he gets happy feet when the blitz comes and makes bad decisions. Blitz the heck out of him and double team Fitzgerald with Troy and Ike. In that superbowl game they double teamed him with Troy and Ike and he was pretty quiet until the very end and thats because he was single covered on that play and beat Ike inside. Pressuring Kolb will decide this game. If the pressure gets there enough we win easy, if it doesn't then it cold be a loss.

Raleigh Steel
10-19-2011, 12:14 PM
^ yes...get massive pressure on kolb. totally shut their offense down...do just enough on offense to win a squeaker while giving steeler nation a collective heart attack...that IS steelers football.

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Show up and play football.

Nolrog
10-19-2011, 01:27 PM
This has got trap game written all over it.

They need to get back to basics. Run the football, protect the QB, stop the run and pressure the Arizona QB.

Big T
10-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Protecting Ben + pressuring Kolb = a Steelers win

It really is as simple as that.

Goodfrom55
10-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Pretty standard answer from week to week.
Offense:
No turnovers
Give Ben time to throw
Efficient running game (to set up play action)
Get 7's not 3's.

Defense:
Pressure Kolb up the middle
Stuff the run
Opportunistic on defense (if the ball is in the air or onthe ground, GET IT!)

Coaching:
Mix up playcalling
Don't telegraph blitzes (Cards have had 2 weeks to prep and they know the Steelers pretty well)
Better communication with coaches upstairs (chellenges, etc.)

General:
No Stupid penalties.

LarryNJ
10-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Fire Bruce and hire Whiz... lol

yes so we could be 1-4 against the power houses of Carolina, Seattle, Minnesota, Redskins and Giants! :lol:

If we didn't already lose 2 games I would call this a trap but we need to win. There's no excuse to take them lightly. Be prepared and we win. Relax and lose.

Goodfrom55
10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Well, I say keep the foot on the gas until the Steelers are up by 3 scores midway through the 4th quarter. At that point, start deflating the ball.

Now I don't think they will blow out the Cards, think it will be Steelers 23, Cards 16.

LarryNJ
10-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Opportunistic on defense (if the ball is in the air or onthe ground, GET IT!)

That would be nice to see. :)

LatrobePA
10-19-2011, 04:29 PM
yes so we could be 1-4 against the power houses of Carolina, Seattle, Minnesota, Redskins and Giants! :lol:

If we didn't already lose 2 games I would call this a trap but we need to win. There's no excuse to take them lightly. Be prepared and we win. Relax and lose.

Easy, easy big fella! lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Well, I say keep the foot on the gas until the Steelers are up by 3 scores midway through the 4th quarter. At that point, start deflating the ball.

Now I don't think they will blow out the Cards, think it will be Steelers 23, Cards 16.

And how often does that ever happen, LOL. They gave us a teaser against the Titans but went right back to sitting on the ball in the 2nd half of the Jags game last week.

The Cards will be up for this game, no question, if the Steelers get a lead and sit on it it's going to backfire on them.

Goodfrom55
10-20-2011, 03:50 PM
And how often does that ever happen, LOL. They gave us a teaser against the Titans but went right back to sitting on the ball in the 2nd half of the Jags game last week.

The Cards will be up for this game, no question, if the Steelers get a lead and sit on it it's going to backfire on them.

Not often, but I was referring to the Titans player who took exception to the Steelers throwing deep with 3 minutes left in the game with the Steelers up by 2 TD's. I have no problem with the Steelers going for a score there becuase in that case, which can be applied to any game, being up by 2 scores, the steelers burn the clock, but have to punt and give the back to the opposing team, their offense scores and are now an onside kick away from potentially tying the game. And Tennessee already recovered an onsides kick that day, but that's my logic. Keep your foot on the gas until there is a 3 score lead midway through the 4th.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Oh trust me, I'm all for keeping your foot on the gas when you have a lead. That's what good teams do, they put you away so you have no chance to even sniff a comeback. Now if you're up by 30 points with 5 minutes to go, then sure just run out the clock. However as you mentioned with the onsides kick recovery it's not like the game was completely in hand for sure.

That type of going deep to secure the win attitude, I'd love to see more of it...we just rarely ever do.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-21-2011, 07:12 AM
The way to stop Larry Fitzgerald is not so much by assigning Ike Taylor to him and double-covering him all game. The Steelers can stop Fitzgerald, one of the game's most dangerous wide receivers, the way they have stopped other receivers in the past -- by pressuring the quarterback, in this case Arizona's Kevin Kolb.

Cut off the head, and the tail dies. They need to get to Kolb in Arizona Sunday before he has time to get the ball to Fitzgerald. He has been sacked 16 times in five games, an average of 3.2 per game, even more than Ben Roethlisberger, who is sacked an average of 3.0.

"You stop the quarterback, you stop Larry," Steelers defensive end Ziggy Hood noted.
"That's our job. We'll focus on him."

Yet the Steelers will be without their top pass-rusher from last season, four-time All-Pro linebacker James Harrison, and without two-thirds of their veteran starting defensive line, Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith.

Who steps up to put the pressure on Kolb? Two players have done it so far, one expected, the other a bit of a surprise.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who had 11/2 sacks through four games, has 31/2 over the past two and leads the Steelers with five sacks. But someone else leads them in quarterback hurries, and it is not a linebacker.
Hood, who has filled in as a four-game starter, has 12 quarterback hurries, one more than fellow end Brett Keisel and three more than Woodley.
Unlike sacks, it is not an official stat, but the coaches keep track of quarterback hurries -- loosely described as making the quarterback hurry his throw or pressuring him out of the pocket

"We have guys like Ziggy Hood going in and getting good pressure on the quarterback, but they don't count that," Woodley said of the unofficial stat. "But that helps our team when they apply pressure to the quarterback while making him hurry up.
"It's not an official stat but it's big for the team."

The Steelers have done surprisingly well pressuring quarterbacks without their big three of Harrison, Smith and Hampton.

They have had eight sacks in the past two games, which all three missed.
Woodley accounts for nearly half of those, putting to rest any talk that his big contract had affected his play negatively through the first quarter of the season.
"I think I've been playing pretty good all year, but my game is predicated on sacks, and that's what people always are going to talk about when they come to me, sacks," Woodley said. "I don't trip about it. My biggest thing is as long as we win. If [I would] have had two sacks in the Houston game, we lost, so it wouldn't matter. This is not an individual game, this is a team."

Said defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, "I think we have two good pass-rushers there. We're missing James Harrison, of course, who is a great pass-rusher. Aaron has great strength to push inside as does Casey."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11294/1183665-66-0.stm#ixzz1bPi19lCj)

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Look for the Steelers defensive line to be a big key in this game. With Hoke not healthy and then signing Corbin Bryant from the PS, these guys need to stay healthy and be productive. We need to see them have another game like they had against the Titans and the first half against the Jags.

Katmandu
10-23-2011, 12:29 PM
I for one wish Tomlin would allow Ben to call ALL his OWN plays to include the No-huddle at HIS discretion. NOT BA's !! BA is NOT on the field.

I am so sick and tired of watching BA's totally predictable, unimaginative play calling !

Let Ben out of the bag for God's sake!

You can't tell me that the Rooney's are totally happy with BA's play calling! If they are then I'd be as shocked as anybody!