PDA

View Full Version : Steelers players perplexed by hit-or-miss offense

BlitzburghRockCity
10-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Answers, like offense in the second half Sunday at Heinz Field, proved to be elusive in the Steelers' locker room.

Then again, it is hard to explain how an offense that had seemingly hit its stride suddenly went into the fetal position.

"It's frustrating, because my expectations for this offense are so high," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said after the Steelers held off the Jacksonville Jaguars, 17-13.
That frustration is understandable and shared by more than Roethlisberger.
The Steelers' offense is brimming with talented skill players, and it entered 2011 with lofty expectations. Yet six games into the season the unit remains something of a puzzle.

The Steelers rank 22nd in the NFL in scoring (19.8 points per game), even though they compare favorably in several other statistical categories.

They are fifth in the NFL in third-down conversions (48.7 percent) and 10th in total offense (373.0 yards per game). Since the season-opening debacle in Baltimore, the Steelers have averaged just one giveaway a game.

Roethlisberger has thrown for at least 200 yards every game, and the Steelers haven't abandoned the run despite a slow start by starting running back Rashard Mendenhall.
The Steelers, in fact, ran the ball 58 percent of the time Sunday, when Mendenhall rushed for 146 yards.

Yet they barely hung on to beat the struggling Jaguars after a second half in which Roethlisberger's legs produced as many first downs (one) as his right arm.
"We have the players," wide receiver Mike Wallace said after the Steelers managed 55 yards in the final two quarters against Jacksonville. "We just have to put it all together."

That is something the Steelers will have to pay more than lip service to if they want make a run at another Super Bowl title.

The defense has been good it is ranked No. 1 in yards allowed (270.5 per game) but it has not shown that it can carry the Steelers.

That may be too much to ask of any defense, with the way some of the top teams can spread the field and let their quarterback play pitch-and-catch.
The Steelers face one of those teams in two weeks when New England visits Heinz Field.

They will need their defense to play well. They will need their offense to be even better if they want keep up with quarterback Tom Brady and the Patriots.
That means a unit that is as talented as any since Mike Tomlin took over as head coach in 2007 has to start playing in more than just spurts.
Or, in the case of Sunday's game, more than just halves.
"We are not doing it on a consistent level yet," wide receiver Hines Ward said, "But we're getting there."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20are%20perplexed%20by%20hit-or-miss%20offense%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_762396.html#ixzz1b8VBtxEm)

LatrobePA
10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Playcalling is a mess, I'm sorry to keep beating a dead horse but it's the truth. There is NO flow at all. They seem to find something then stray away...

Right now with the fire power they have there is no reason to no put up 30 every week..

Lets not forget Ben was completely out to lunch the end of the first and all second half.

coldrolled
10-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Arians said this also.. see where he says, but he doesnt get his chances.. on counter plays?

"He's a load at the line of scrimmage, and he's nifty enough to play out of the backfield. All of our counter plays, he's usually leading the way. He's doing a really good job, solid, just like we knew he would be. He's a more than adequate receiver, he just doesn't get his chances. But he's done a really good job blocking." — Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, on third-year tight end David Johnson

Goodfrom55
10-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Smarter decisions by Ben have to start taking over his game. It's nice to throw deep, but in a 25 mph wind, REALLY? Take the high % play over the hit or miss deep play, especially when it comes to keeping the ball. In the 2nd half on Sunday, the Steelers looked like they were back in Indy running dive on every 1st down forcing the Steelers offense into 2nd and 10 and consequently 3rd and long. If they are doubling Wallace, and Ben is getting time (which he has lately), then there should be open receivers underneath.

The other thing that drives me nuts is on 3rd and 4 situatons, can't the Steelers create the illusion of a possible running play? Why do they need to line up 5 wide on every 3rd down? What happened to keeping the defense guessing?

LatrobePA
10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
This team has no idenity on offense. Are they a running team? Passing team?? What are they?

Raleigh Steel
10-18-2011, 11:18 AM
this is news? they could write this article every year that BA has been the OC.

Steelersfan
10-18-2011, 12:31 PM
This team has no idenity on offense. Are they a running team? Passing team?? What are they?

:plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1:

They just need to take what the D is giving and stop trying to throw it 50 yards all the time. They could easily be both a passing and running team.

I would take my chances all day long too if I were the Jags, with Ben throwing into the wind and all. Doesn't take a genius does it?????.......:banging:

LatrobePA
10-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Right now they suck!

Steelersfan
10-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Right now they suck!

A half at a time......:lol:

LatrobePA
10-18-2011, 01:06 PM
A half at a time......:lol:

lmao!

UKSTEELER
10-18-2011, 01:11 PM
they're not perplexed, . . . they're just unable to say what they really think.

SteelDad
10-18-2011, 07:41 PM

That is exactly it in a nutshell too. Sometimes I wonder if that explosive preseason was the worst thing that could have happened to us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Goodfrom55
10-18-2011, 07:48 PM
If the conditions were calm and tranquil during the game and not 25 MPH winds, I would have cause for concern regarding the Steelers deep passing game. Ben over threw a few guys, but I give him a pass this week considering the conditions. It's only a few weeks away until Ben puts on the glove and IMO, he is a much better QB while wearing the glove (still burns my *** to this day why he took off the glove in the SB). They;re winning, the defense is slowly starting to come around and the offense hasn't even shown a hint of what they can be so far. Once they get it together (and they will), NFL BEWARE.

DIESELMAN
10-18-2011, 08:53 PM
That is exactly it in a nutshell too. Sometimes I wonder if that explosive preseason was the worst thing that could have happened to us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

We need to go back to the vanilla offense, make it easy for mentally challenged Ben and BA. It doesn't take a genius to figure out, take what the D is giving you, exploit the other teams weaknesses and be consistent.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

steelersbabex25
10-18-2011, 09:10 PM
"Gee, I just don't understand why being the most predictable offense in the NFL isn't working for us."

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5835/98201931.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/98201931.jpg/)

Stairwayto7
10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
I agree we an identity. I agree that BA is all over the place, since when is it good to go deep 10 times a game. Why abandon the slant in that has been working. Where were the passes over the middle. Why dont we screen pass anymore?

DBR96A
10-19-2011, 04:40 AM
We need to go back to the vanilla offense, make it easy for mentally challenged Ben and BA. It doesn't take a genius to figure out, take what the D is giving you, exploit the other teams weaknesses and be consistent.

That's exactly what they were doing. The Jaguars defense took away most of the short stuff, leaving their CBs one-on-one on our WRs deep. Seldom did the Jaguars have any safeties deep, particularly in the second half. Apparently their defense was playing the weather conditions. It didn't work for them in the first half, but it did in the second.