PDA

View Full Version : Cotchery should be given a chance

connecticutsteel
10-17-2011, 08:50 PM
This might be a productive move until 2/3 of young money learn there play book and how to run better routes . It would motivate the younger players to work harder i think

LatrobePA
10-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I agree... But who do you sit?

connecticutsteel
10-17-2011, 09:06 PM
E Sanders sits

LatrobePA
10-17-2011, 09:25 PM
E Sanders sits

I could see that..

Troyisabeast_43
10-17-2011, 09:50 PM
I would still dress Sanders but I do agree that a guy with experience and talent like Cotchery needs to be given more of an opportunity by Tomlin and the coaching staff to make some plays. I think it's time the Steelers finally start working him into the mix somehow someway in the next few weeks.

SnakeEyes43
10-17-2011, 10:04 PM
I would have said Brown sits at WR, but let him still return kicks and punts. I thought Sanders had shown more potential as a pure WR (I know Brown had a great preseason). I REALLY like both, but I think Sanders will turn out to be the better of the two in the long run.

And I wouldn't mind seeing Cotchery get more time. Put him in, see what happens, he might just surprise you.

cmerrifield
10-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Either play him or trade him by 4:00 pm tomorrow

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-17-2011, 11:29 PM
No sense in signing the guy if he is just going to sit or be a practice player. If you sit one of the young guys it just maybe the wake up call they need to focus more come game time...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-17-2011, 11:30 PM
The only way the young guys get better is with more experience. You can make a case for benching a player that continually screws up but both Sanders and Brown makes plays every week. You take the good and the bad with young players. It typically takes a WR a good 2-3 years before they really "get it". Holmes' first 2 years in Pittsburgh was spent dropping passes and running wrong routes, but still showing a lot of promise with big play potential. Then in his 3rd year especially he came like gangbusters.

I don't have a problem with Cotchery getting the ball, but it would be hard to justify taking either young guy out for a game for me atleast.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Well if your going to put him in who's going to sit and carry 6 WRs on gameday?? Don't even think about an O lineman, them guys are already dropping like flies...:lol:

Diehardsteel
10-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Cotchery is a wasted signing as of now. I really think the guy can be just as productive, if not more productive than Ward but we all know he ain't going anywhere. We're simply too stacked at WR. I'm sure some teams would kill to have this problem. Trade him to the rams or something. Off topic, I really just cant wait till we see Wallace, Brown, and Sanders as the top 3 WR's on the roster. Maybe next year? :greengrin:

steelers4life66
10-18-2011, 07:28 AM
E Sanders sits
Thats what I was thinking. Miller has more receiving yards than he does.

pimplydan
10-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Have you guys never thaught about how long a football season is ? has their ever been a season where a WR never missed a couple of games . I not hoping at all that a receiver gets injured ,but at some point in time most likely someone well miss some games .

I bet we will see Gotchery in there somewhere down the line and he is a mere dropoff to anyone . He can and will get the job done when called upon.

steelers4life66
10-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Have you guys never thaught about how long a football season is ? has their ever been a season where a WR never missed a couple of games . I not hoping at all that a receiver gets injured ,but at some point in time most likely someone well miss some games .

I bet we will see Gotchery in there somewhere down the line and he is a mere dropoff to anyone . He can and will get the job done when called upon.
I hear ya, and your right. I was just answering the question, who do ya sit. Sanders is the lest productive WR so far this year.

cmerrifield
10-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Cotchery is a wasted signing as of now. I really think the guy can be just as productive, if not more productive than Ward but we all know he ain't going anywhere. We're simply too stacked at WR. I'm sure some teams would kill to have this problem. Trade him to the rams or something. Off topic, I really just cant wait till we see Wallace, Brown, and Sanders as the top 3 WR's on the roster. Maybe next year? :greengrin:

He signed for the veteran minimum, that is never a wasted signing.

Goodfrom55
10-18-2011, 09:08 AM
The youth have been hit hard with no OTA's and mini-camps. No real chance to get the extra reps on the Pattern tree, but you would think as the season progresses, there would be more familiarity. Don't forget, Sanders missed allof preseason with the foot. He will come around, no doubt, but it would be nice to see "Cotch" in the game once in a while.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-18-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't think he's a wasted signing at all, he came in knowing he wasn't going to be tops on the depth chart. The Steelers, just like any other team, are one play away from losing a WR to injury and if that happens then Jerricho will be ready to step in. We hope that doesn't happen but the way injuries have hit this team so far this year you can't take anything for granted.

Diehardsteel
10-18-2011, 10:38 PM
I don't think he's a wasted signing at all, he came in knowing he wasn't going to be tops on the depth chart. The Steelers, just like any other team, are one play away from losing a WR to injury and if that happens then Jerricho will be ready to step in. We hope that doesn't happen but the way injuries have hit this team so far this year you can't take anything for granted.

I agree with everything you said. After a second thought, he's not a wasted signing. I originally said that because he's much better than a backup WR and could very well be a starting WR for any team in this league. That was my thought process behind the statement. It's always nice to have good backups but remember, we have highly conditioned athletes at the WR position, as Tomlin would say. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him all year.

coldrolled
10-19-2011, 04:27 AM
you guys are right we only throw bombs and he is strong at slants and cross routes... we probably wont see him... shame...

steelchamp204
10-19-2011, 02:31 PM
The guyneeds to see 5-10 snaps a game IMHO. Hes a playmaker I think, Why not rotate him and Ward?

tburg68
10-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Cotchery is good insurance in case of a Ward injury. He shouldn't replace any of the current top four.

Brown makes plays every week as a WR, not just a KR. He already is a better receiver than Sanders, and will be the clear #2 when Hines hangs em up. I think that Sanders will be productive as well. This clearly a position of strength for the Steelers.

Troyisabeast_43
10-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I think Cotchery's opportunity is going to come soon. I bet right now and you heard it here first that Cotchery will make a big catch or two against both the Patriots and the Ravens in the upcoming weeks where the Steelers will need to use the passing game and their speed wide receivers to win both of those games...

Goodfrom55
10-19-2011, 07:27 PM
He's a guy who is not afraid to go over the middle and he is savvy enough to read the defense and find the soft spot in the zone, like Hines.

coldrolled
10-20-2011, 08:41 AM
I think Cotchery's opportunity is going to come soon. I bet right now and you heard it here first that Cotchery will make a big catch or two against both the Patriots and the Ravens in the upcoming weeks where the Steelers will need to use the passing game and their speed wide receivers to win both of those games...

You need to be the OC.. to bad this wont really happen.

i see it more like.. Moore will be back and arians will run moore up the middle into wilfork. they wont think we would do that. :lol:

connecticutsteel
10-20-2011, 12:04 PM
In the Tennessee game we had a short passing game that was awesome he would be great in that package run after catch

K Train
10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
cotchery>ward

jmo, but at this point in their careers its pretty clear to me

TheFizzman
10-20-2011, 12:21 PM
cotchery>ward

jmo, but at this point in their careers its pretty clear to me

Cotchery>ward...and redman is overrated... :nono: 0 for 2

K Train
10-20-2011, 12:34 PM

lets face it here....ward is what? 35?

the last few years cotchery production as a #2/3 WR has been about the same as ward as a "#1" if thats what everyone still insists on calling him.

ward is winding down, its blatantly obvious. Hes a mini TE at this point that can dance.

cotchery is 29 and can easily put up better numbers than ward, i love the young guys but i would like to see some of JC just cause i feel like brown and sanders do a lot of running in circles when they are on the field, and ward is just scaring no one at all

and redman shoudlnt even be rated, thats what makes him overrated

2/2

tburg68
10-20-2011, 02:40 PM

Just because a player dons the Steeler uniform, doesn't make him great. Hines might be my favorite player of all time, but he isn't close to the player he was 5 years ago.

Redman isn't even worth a discussion. I have said too much about him already.