PDA

View Full Version : Offensive line is....awesome?

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
I know we beat this to death last week, but I was a little apprehensive to deem this a new and improved offensive line after just one game. Now, I know neither the Titans or Jags have an amazing front 7, but there were very few occasions that I can think of where the offensive line blew protection, and that is something that we hadn't seen in the first four games. Ben had ample time to throw, and there were huge holes for the running back. For the first time this season, we can't blame this collapse on the offensive line. Absolutely unreal the difference that Max Starks has made. A complete 180 for that unit.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 05:44 PM
It doesn't matter who you play, the offensive line has to step up. So far the last 2 weeks they have certainly done that. With ALL the injuries this group has suffered through give credit to Kugler as well for keeping these guys prepared and ready to go at a moments notice.

I love what I'm seeing out of them recently regardless of the opponents. If they can ever field a regular group for more than 1 game at a time they could be really "to deal with". Starks, absolutely no question has brought something to this team that they were lacking all year; confidence and stability.

JensK
10-16-2011, 05:47 PM
I think calling it awesome is stretching it. They are certainly improved, but I'll wait and see how they do against teams with an actual passrush.

Goodfrom55
10-16-2011, 05:48 PM
I think what hurt them in the 2nd half today was predictable runs on 1st down on the 2nd half. Jags loaded up the box on 1st down in 2nd half.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Considering how bad they were through the first 4 weeks, the way they've played recently is almost awesome. Certainly they aren't anywhere near the best in the league right now but for a group that suffers through so many injuries and still keeps fighting, I give them all the props in the world.

JensK
10-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Considering how bad they were through the first 4 weeks, the way they've played recently is almost awesome. Certainly they aren't anywhere near the best in the league right now but for a group that suffers through so many injuries and still keeps fighting, I give them all the props in the world.

We should keep in perspective though that they've looked pretty good against Seahawks, Titans and Jaguars. 3 teams which arguably have a very very poor passrush, while they've looked terrible against Ravens, Houston and Colts. I'm just not sure that they'll look like this against teams such as Bengals or Ravens.

SnakeEyes43
10-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Improving, getting better, developing, getting solid, making leaps and bounds, version 2.0 and progressing are all words I would use to describe the line...but not awesome. Not yet; we'll see after the Ravens game.

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Well for the second straight week we ran the ball well that helps the Oline pass block when the defense is worried about the run.
Legursky, hurt toe??? Seriously?? Bens foot is almost broke and this big tough linemen cant get over a toe??
Starks looked good again but didnt play as well in the 2nd half, maybe tired??
It was nice not needing to keep Heath in to block!

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Consistantly giving Ben more than 3 seconds to throw is pretty awesome to me.

JensK
10-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Consistantly giving Ben more than 3 seconds to throw is pretty awesome to me.

It is a sad day when we start thinking about something which is still below average standards of an NFL team as awesome :lol:

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 06:03 PM
It is a sad day when we start thinking about something which is still below average standards of an NFL team as awesome :lol:

More than 3 seconds to throw is below average?

JensK
10-16-2011, 06:05 PM
More than 3 seconds to throw is below average?

Our line is far and away under avarage, even in the last couple of games. Also, you did not exactly see Ben have many plays where he had 3 seconds to throw untouched. There is a big difference between the line giving Ben time and Ben buying himself time.

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 06:07 PM
We`ll see here soon, the jags arent the pats or ratbirds

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Our line is far and away under avarage, even in the last couple of games. Also, you did not exactly see Ben have many plays where he had 3 seconds to throw untouched. There is a big difference between the line giving Ben time and Ben buying himself time.

Okay, there's a difference between being pessimistic and being difficult, and right now you're just being difficult. I saw more plays than I can count where Ben was standing like a statue in the backfield for 3-5 seconds.

SnakeEyes43
10-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Exactly.

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Im encouraged, and i know Starks needed some games like these before playing against the big boys. but Im also a realist, I hope we are getting better though!

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 06:14 PM

Exactly.

Um...the Pats defense is pretty damn awful.

JensK
10-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Okay, there's a difference between being pessimistic and being difficult, and right now you're just being difficult. I saw more plays than I can count where Ben was standing like a statue in the backfield for 3-5 seconds.

Oh I'm sorry. I did not know that not agreeing with you automatically equaled being difficult. But sure, lets go out and calling eachother things instead of discussing football. We played against a defense which was 24th in sacks overall this season and 30th overall whole last year. Last game we played against a team which was ranked 15th overall with sacks. Yet you came out calling the line ... awesome, for giving Big Ben a little time from time to time. So I question that statement and that makes me difficult?

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Um...the Pats defense is pretty damn awful.

Guarantee you they will come after Ben, not like jags and titans.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Oh I'm sorry. I did not know that not agreeing with you automatically equaled being difficult. But sure, lets go out and calling eachother things instead of discussing football. We played against a defense which was 24th in sacks overall this season and 30th overall whole last year. Last game we played against a team which was ranked 15th overall with sacks. Yet you came out calling the line ... awesome, for giving Big Ben a little time from time to time. So I question that statement and that makes me difficult?

How is last year relevent? Jags defense is ranked #8 right now.

--- Added 10/16/2011 at 04:23 PM ---

Guarantee you they will come after Ben, not like jags and titans.

Have you watched any of the Pats games? They're awful. Their defense is last in the league. How do you figure they'll come after Ben if 2 better defenses couldn't do it? Seems a little silly...

JensK
10-16-2011, 06:29 PM
How is last year relevent? Jags defense is ranked #8 right now.

Way to adress my points! Last year is very relevant to show you how this team usually fairs, especially seeing that Jaguars did not add a whole lot of talent in terms of passrush, so it was pretty much to give you an indication of the talent this line faced.

You cannot use the overall rating for anything. They are pretty good against the pass (which they also displayed against Steelers), but not so good at applying pressure, nor stopping the run. Sure, their overall ranking against the run is pretty good but that is mainly because they played against teams which don't run the ball a whole lot.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 06:31 PM
You cannot use the overall rating for anything.

Then why did you feel it necessary to tell me that the Jags defense was rated 30th overall last year...

JensK
10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Then why did you feel it necessary to tell me that the Jags defense was rated 30th overall last year...

They ranked 30th overall in sacks. I never wrote anything about overall defense at any point.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 06:34 PM
They ranked 30th overall in sacks. I never wrote anything about overall defense at any point.

My deepest apologies, for I misread your post.

SnakeEyes43
10-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Have you watched any of the Pats games? They're awful. Their defense is last in the league. How do you figure they'll come after Ben if 2 better defenses couldn't do it? Seems a little silly...

Wow, pretty feisty today huh? Yes Ive watched Pats games, I am right now actually. :nahnah:

Guarantee they will come after Ben. I don't care if they are last in the NFL, they will be a better challenge than the Jags and Titans were. Say what you will, but watch it.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Guarantee they will come after Ben. I don't care if they are last in the NFL, they will be a better challenge than the Jags and Titans were. Say what you will, but watch it.

No chance. Sorry, no chance. You're just saying that because they're the mighty Patriots and they're perfect at everything they do. They used to have a good defense. Not anymore. I have not seen one solid defensive game from them this entire season.

SnakeEyes43
10-16-2011, 06:43 PM
No chance. Sorry, no chance. You're just saying that because they're the mighty Patriots and they're perfect at everything they do. They used to have a good defense. Not anymore. I have not seen one solid defensive game from them this entire season.

Haha, "no chance"??? Oh boy, just remember you said that...

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Haha, "no chance"??? Oh boy, just remember you said that...

Don't expect me to back out of this. I don't know where everyone's getting this idea that the Pats defense is going to own us.

SnakeEyes43
10-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Don't expect me to back out of this. I don't know where everyone's getting this idea that the Pats defense is going to own us.

No one ever said they were going to "own us". We are just saying that the offensive line isn't "awesome". I think they will bring a lot of pressure on Ben, and probably get to him a few times. The true test for the line will be the Ravens game in Baltimore.

The Pats game is going to be close, I don't care how low their D is ranked. Do I think the Steelers can win? Of course, but they say any given Sunday for a reason.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 06:51 PM
No one ever said they were going to "own us". We are just saying that the offensive line isn't "awesome". I think they will bring a lot of pressure on Ben, and probably get to him a few times.

It's going to be a close game, I don't care how low their D is ranked. Do I think the Steelers can win? Of course, but they say any given Sunday for a reason.

Yeah, it's gonna be a close game because of Tom Brady and Wes Welker. Not because of their defense.

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Oh yes they will! First screw the pats I could care less about them being so mighty. They can still get after the Qb. thier dbs are the weak spot

SnakeEyes43
10-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah, it's gonna be a close game because of Tom Brady and Wes Welker. Not because of their defense.

Well yeah...obviously. We have to match them score for score, who ever said that wasn't the case?

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm just curious as to where you guys are getting the idea that the Pats defense is going to be a factor in this game when they've shown nothing in this season thus far. Seriously. Not being sassy here. Where?

SnakeEyes43
10-16-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm just curious as to where you guys are getting the idea that the Pats defense is going to be a factor in this game when they've shown nothing in this season thus far. Seriously. Not being sassy here. Where?

I guess my line of thought here is that, given the fact that Brady seems to have our number, we have to match them score for score. That is where their D and our o-line comes into play. I know they will score on our D, but can our line keep improving and protect Ben and open up lanes for the backs? That remains to be seen. The next two weeks will be big tests, especially the Ravens game.

The Pats D, though not great, will show up to play. I don't care if they are last in the NFL, they will bring their best against the Steelers.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 07:05 PM
I guess my line of thought here is that, given the fact that Brady seems to have our number, we have to match them score for score. That is where their D and our o-line comes into play. I know they will score on our D, but can our line keep improving and protect Ben and open up lanes for the backs? That remains to be seen. The next two weeks will be big tests, especially the Ravens game.

The Pats D, though not great, will show up to play. I don't care if they are last in the NFL, they will bring their best against the Steelers.

This "Tom Brady has our number" thing drives me crazy. Tom Brady has everyones number. Therefore everything else you said would have had to apply to every other team that the Pats have played this season..and their defense is #32.

SnakeEyes43
10-16-2011, 07:12 PM
This "Tom Brady has our number" thing drives me crazy. Tom Brady has everyones number. Therefore everything else you said would have had to apply to every other team that the Pats have played this season..and their defense is #32.

Regardless of whether it drives you crazy or not, have you ever seen a QB have success against this defensive group the way Brady has? I haven't.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Regardless of whether it drives you crazy or not, have you ever seen a QB have success against this defensive group the way Brady has? I haven't.

Tom Brady has success against every defensive group. That's my point...

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-16-2011, 07:20 PM
All I got to say is wait until we play the Pats and rats before we get excited about this line .

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 07:25 PM
I know we beat this to death last week, but I was a little apprehensive to deem this a new and improved offensive line after just one game. Now, I know neither the Titans or Jags have an amazing front 7, but there were very few occasions that I can think of where the offensive line blew protection, and that is something that we hadn't seen in the first four games. Ben had ample time to throw, and there were huge holes for the running back. For the first time this season, we can't blame this collapse on the offensive line. Absolutely unreal the difference that Max Starks has made. A complete 180 for that unit.

Not sure we can give Starks that much credit yet! Cant go back though and see if Indy would have kicked his @ss too

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Not sure we can give Starks that much credit yet! Cant go back though and see if Indy would have kicked his @ss too

Why can't we give Starks credit? He's completely transformed this line.

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Why can't we give Starks credit? He's completely transformed this line.

He has?? Wheres the proof?? Is there certain proof that its all starks?? Think he was responsible for a sack and fumble. Also two weeks he has looked good against week opponents. Means nothing yet, we seemed to be playing better as a unit, but cmon jagaurs 1-5 , oh wow!

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 07:39 PM
He has?? Wheres the proof?? Is there certain proof that its all starks?? Think he was responsible for a sack and fumble. Also two weeks he has looked good against week opponents. Means nothing yet, we seemed to be playing better as a unit, but cmon jagaurs 1-5 , oh wow!

Must be just a coincidence that Mendy has over 100 yards today when he couldn't get half that in every other game. Probably just a coincidence that Ben only got sacked once today and 2 weeks ago he was sacked 5 times. Maybe it was the magical offensive line fairy :dunno:

(There's your proof)

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Must be just a coincidence that Mendy has over 100 yards today when he couldn't get half that in every other game. Probably just a coincidence that Ben only got sacked once today and 2 weeks ago he was sacked 5 times. Maybe it was the magical offensive line fairy :dunno:

(There's your proof)

Or maybe it's because we played the Titans and Jags

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 07:43 PM

(There's your proof)

Watch the game again! Most of Mendys runs where to the right, Starks no where around. maybe one to the left. One sack against the jags?? Big deal you are comparing apples and oranges, think about! I hope he is the reason but there is no proof yet! Youve proved nothing!

--- Added 10/16/2011 at 05:43 PM ---

Thank you! I hope not! But we can only wait and see!

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 07:44 PM

Cause the Colts and the Seahawks front 7 are superbowl caliber :dunno:

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 07:49 PM

Colts do have to of the best DL in the league, I think thats evident!

Like i said, we won, Ben was upright most of the day, but I do believe the JURY IS STILL OUT on our line! Three weeks from now balt will be here. And I hope to God we have improved, just dont think there is proof yet!

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Watch the game again! Most of Mendys runs where to the right, Starks no where around. maybe one to the left. One sack against the jags?? Big deal you are comparing apples and oranges, think about! I hope he is the reason but there is no proof yet! Youve proved nothing!

Apples and oranges? The Texans have had 15 sacks through 5 games. 1/3 of those sacks came against the Steelers. Without Max Starks. That means that if you take away the Steelers game, they have 11 sacks against 4 other teams. Was it just a coincidence that they got over 2 sacks more than their average against a Steelers offensive line without Max Starks? No.

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Mathis & Freeney ?

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Colts do have to of the best DL in the league, I think thats evident!

Colts have one of the best DLs in the league? Yeah. 9 sacks through 5 games. 31st in the league in rushing defense. Pretty dominant if you ask me.

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Apples and oranges? The Texans have had 15 sacks through 5 games. 1/3 of those sacks came against the Steelers. Without Max Starks. That means that if you take away the Steelers game, they have 11 sacks against 4 other teams. Was it just a coincidence that they got over 2 sacks more than their average against a Steelers offensive line without Max Starks? No.

Apples and Oranges Correct! Everything depends on the score, ahead or behind etc. Also against the TExans we were 3rd and long all day, third and long means the pressure is coming. Still no proof that starks is the savior. I was one of the first to beg that we bring starks back, be he alone isnt the reason Ben was upright all day. 1 sack today of Ben and it was starks fault!

--- Added 10/16/2011 at 05:55 PM ---

Colts have one of the best DLs in the league? Yeah. 9 sacks through 5 games. Pretty dominant if you ask me.

Again only your opinion counts! Yes they have two of the best D-linemen in the league! FACT

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Colts have one of the best DLs in the league? Yeah. 9 sacks through 5 games. 31st in the league in rushing defense. Pretty dominant if you ask me.

And we have 15 sacks. Are we not dominant?

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 07:57 PM
And we have 10 sacks. Are we not dominant?

Did you watch the first 4 games of the season? Our defense line was terrible.

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 07:58 PM
And we have 10 sacks. Are we not dominant?

And I meant to write Two of the best DLimen. Not the best DL! Thats mt bad!

uclkyle
10-17-2011, 02:24 AM
I think what hurt them in the 2nd half today was predictable runs on 1st down on the 2nd half. Jags loaded up the box on 1st down in 2nd half.

Couldn't agree more. HORRIBLE play calling in the second half. Two runs, a deep pass, and a punt.

coldrolled
10-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Couldn't agree more. HORRIBLE play calling in the second half. Two runs, a deep pass, and a punt.

I honestly dont think BA called that crap.... I think Ben called that whole second half.

he needs a real coach. :imho:

LatrobePA
10-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Once Legs went down our running game stunk.. I think as a pulling guard he's much better than Kemo..

Rampage
10-17-2011, 12:42 PM
They haven't played a great defense yet. If they can hold their own against Baltimore, I'll commend them. For now, they are holding their own and that's what I ask for, I just can't call them awesome because I reserve that word for things that truly are extraordinary, like Bruce Arians pulling his thumb out of his *** and calling a good game.

steelersbabex25
10-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Ok, can we change the word awesome to good? Everyone seems to have an issue with the wording of the title.

SnakeEyes43
10-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Ok, can we change the word awesome to good? Everyone seems to have an issue with the wording of the title.

How about "Offensive line is...getting better?" :yellowthumb:

steelersbabex25
10-17-2011, 05:41 PM
How about "Offensive line is...getting better?" :yellowthumb:

Cause "getting better" doesn't even begin to cover the improvements that have been made on the offensive line.

LatrobePA
10-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Imagine how much better our offense will look next year w out BA!

Stairwayto7
10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
They did look good againt mediocre team. I HOPE and Pray they keep Ben upright!

Stairwayto7
10-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Ok babex! They are looking a lot better week by week. Ben has been getting more and more time! Next week will be a test though but they are looking really good!

K Train
10-30-2011, 10:18 PM
marcus gilbert <3

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 02:33 AM
Hate to toot my own horn...wait, no I don't. :toot:

Real Deal Steel
10-31-2011, 02:53 AM
I definitely think the O-line was great today. But the key to consistant O-line play is not having anymore injuries on the line.

Kudos. Now after we beat the snot out of the Ravens, we will be alone on top of the AFC. Where we belong

Stairwayto7
10-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Hate to toot my own horn...wait, no I don't. :toot:

Oh I knew u wouldnt mind! LOL Big test Sunday night!

Rampage
10-31-2011, 12:42 PM
marcus gilbert <3

I am shocked this team has kept him in instead of Jonathan Scott. I love the way he has been playing, I'm just surprised a vet didn't get the job over him.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Gilbert hurt his ankle against yesterday, this kid just cannot catch a break with the injuries these days. I liked what he did yesterday in pass protection because the Pats were sending the heat consistently and while he did have some breakdowns he made a lot of plays too.

K Train
10-31-2011, 05:33 PM
gilbert being RT over scott is amazing, and even scott was only mildly terrible when he played for gilbert for a bit.

gilbert needs to stop getting so banged up and hes gonna be a stud