PDA

View Full Version : Roughing the punter gave the Jags new life

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 04:09 PM
The roughing the punter call was the turning point that gave the Jags the momentum to drive down for that TD. It seemed to really take the wind right out of the Steelers sails. You would have liked to see them recover from that but they just not get in gear. Jacksonville went on a clock eating 17 play 80 yd drive that lasted 9:35.

Special teams once again for the 3rd week in a row nearly cost this team.

Speeed
10-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I think the pendulum swung after Legursky got hurt. A blocked punt, a crappy punt, a Ben fumble, more penalties. I think it was a comedy of errors after the injury. If it was not one issue it was another. I am simply dumbfounded . . . .

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Essex came in and playing pretty well in the first half. In the 2nd half though things definitely started to unravel for the offense. It comes back to them being resilient and getting the mojo back after a bad play like that one.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 04:30 PM
You can't blame the special teams for that one. That's just a stupid and unfortunate call. By rule, is that a penalty? Yes. Should it be? No. If a player is that close to blocking a punt, and by that close I mean literally inches a way, that really should not be a penalty. There was nothing Mundy could do about that. Really a good play by him.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 04:42 PM
It is special teams though overall; whether it's a "hard to blame them" type of play or not, the last 3 weeks this unit has had issues. I realize it's hard to get out of the way when you smell a potential block and I know the Punters can be good actors. Either way though I'm still concerned that sooner or later it's going to bite them and cost them a game.

Goodfrom55
10-16-2011, 04:44 PM
No excuse for Mundy to hit punter and miss the ball by that much; wasn't even close. They got lucky, have to get ready for Arizona next week, WON'T BE AN EASY GAME.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 04:45 PM
It is special teams though overall; whether it's a "hard to blame them" type of play or not, the last 3 weeks this unit has had issues. I realize it's hard to get out of the way when you smell a potential block and I know the Punters can be good actors. Either way though I'm still concerned that sooner or later it's going to bite them and cost them a game.

I just don't think that play was on Mundy at all. That should never be a penalty.

But if we are talking special teams overall, besides the very last punt of the game, Sepulveda had a rough time. He was pretty bad.

--- Added 10/16/2011 at 03:45 PM ---

No excuse for Mundy to hit punter and miss the ball by that much; wasn't even close. They got lucky, have to get ready for Arizona next week, WON'T BE AN EASY GAME.

By that much? He was 2 inches away from the ball. If that.

Goodfrom55
10-16-2011, 04:46 PM
From my view point, it looked like he whiffed by quite a bit - I could be wrong though.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 04:49 PM
From my view point, it looked like he whiffed by quite a bit - I could be wrong though.

Don't know where you watched it, but on CBS they showed quite a few replays of it. He was not off the ball by more than 2 inches.

JensK
10-16-2011, 04:50 PM

I agree. Mundy was not close enough to the ball to even consider not calling it. Sylvestor was closer at the ball than Mundy. With that being said, Mundy was close enough to try making a play, only.. he did not.

Raleigh Steel
10-16-2011, 04:50 PM
the defense missed on stopping them on 4th down also. but momentum should never have been a problem if the steelers didn't go "all bruce" on the jags in the 2nd half. after wallace caught that TD pass and then another deep ball, i told my buddy that they were going to try that too much and sure enough they did. take a shot once a quarter, but not once every 3 downs, which is what it seemed like. remember the bengals game 2 years ago....same thing! except we lost that game, and we were 1 play away from losing today.

Iron Paul
10-16-2011, 05:41 PM
You can't blame the special teams for that one. That's just a stupid and unfortunate call. By rule, is that a penalty? Yes. Should it be? No. If a player is that close to blocking a punt, and by that close I mean literally inches a way, that really should not be a penalty. There was nothing Mundy could do about that. Really a good play by him.
Mundy did not touch the ball. You know the refs are going to call that every time. You simply cannot hit the punter.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Mundy did not touch the ball. You know the refs are going to call that every time. You simply cannot hit the punter.

Obviously he didn't touch the ball. If he touched the ball there wouldn't have been a penalty. He was close enough to touching the ball that it really shouldn't be a penalty.

SteelDad
10-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Mundy thought he could get to it and just missed. His angle was the problem... Either way we shouldnt be trying stuff like that after your D comes up with a big stop. Gotta play smarter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Its still a poor excuse. Yes it did seem to swing momentum but they are all grown men what did Ben have 1 or 2 completions in the 2nd half? Unaceptable!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Roughing the kicker/punter is such a ticky tack rule. Honestly 9-10 times you could call it either way. The kickers do a great job of acting most of the time too, I mean hell what else are they are going to do in practice after they've kicked the ball 100 times a day, LOL.

Seriously though, sometimes it is blatantly obvious, but either way it's so hard to pull up when you're rushing full speed to try and get a hand on it before it's too late. I understand the aggressiveness and appreciate the chance to get the blocked punt and make a big play. Special teams have been very inconsistent this year. When you take the wrong angle though it's potentially going to come back to bite you.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Roughing the kicker/punter is such a ticky tack rule. Honestly 9-10 times you could call it either way. The kickers do a great job of acting most of the time too, I mean hell what else are they are going to do in practice after they've kicked the ball 100 times a day, LOL.

Seriously though, sometimes it is blatantly obvious, but either way it's so hard to pull up when you're rushing full speed to try and get a hand on it before it's too late. I understand the aggressiveness and appreciate the chance to get the blocked punt and make a big play. Special teams have been very inconsistent this year. When you take the wrong angle though it's potentially going to come back to bite you.

I can understand both sides of the issue, but I just can't fault Ryan Mundy for trying to come up with a big play there. It wasn't like some bone head penalty where he was just being stupid and careless and tackled the punter way after the fact. It was just what I said, he was trying to make a play, something that under normal circumstances you love to see from a player, especially in a game that seemed to be slipping away. Unfortunately, he was penalized for it. Not a bad call by the refs. That's the rule. You hit the plant leg of the punter and don't get a hand on the ball, it's roughing the kicker. Do I agree with the rule? No. He had a chance at the ball, and I think that is reason enough to let him go unpenalized there.

steelchamp204
10-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Why even try to rush the punter and try for the ball and then have your momentum carry you into the punter? I hate the NFL rules when it comes to roughing the punter. Hes a god damn football player man, he should be able to be hit also.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-17-2011, 07:31 AM
I like Ryan Mundy, he's a helluva guy and very underrated football player. He plays good, sound, fundamental football and usually is pretty solid. I certainly don't fault his ability on the field or the fact that he was going for the block. You just have to be so careful with those blocks. It's that whole defenseless player thing the NFL loves to call, you almost can't win for losing.

SteelDad
10-17-2011, 07:55 AM
The question we should be asking is... Why are we trying to block a punt on 4th and 21?

Troyisabeast_43
10-17-2011, 07:58 AM
I agree why even come after a punt like that late in the 2nd half when youre up 17-3 and the Jags are literally doing nothing offensively to move the ball. Plus, you have to take into account that Ron Winter was the ref yesterday and he is one of the worst refs in the league when it comes to calling borderline penalties...

connecticutsteel
10-17-2011, 09:45 AM
The offense died when they didn't score after the long run by mendy plus if the ball is touched first you can run into the punter that's why everyone was making the tip sign with there hands

coldrolled
10-17-2011, 09:48 AM
well i would say mendy running 75 yards to the 3 and then not putting redman to finish the job was a real bozo call, that was BA.. mendy had to have been tired..

this teams needs a quality OC or it will never get really good with this offense.

punting and no first downs is what gave the jags life...

Troyisabeast_43
10-17-2011, 10:37 AM
well i would say mendy running 75 yards to the 3 and then not putting redman to finish the job was a real bozo call, that was BA.. mendy had to have been tired..

this teams needs a quality OC or it will never get really good with this offense.

punting and no first downs is what gave the jags life...

Tomlin addressed that after the game when asked about it and said they feel that Mendy is a highly conditioned guy and they felt good about his chances to punch it in after the long run. So that one pretty is on Tomlin much like his bonehead decisions not to challenge calls that will get overturned or poor poor usage of timeouts before the half when you have a chance to get points. Tomlin is one of the worst coaches in the league at clock management he is down right atrocious at it. Maybe if quits worrying about shadow boxing his boys like Farrior and Taylor all the time on the sideline after they make big plays and focuses more on in game management he will become better at knowing when to use his timeouts and challenging certain calls...

Stairwayto7
10-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Grown men making ALOT of $$$$$! Get over the call, bad call or not, get your head out of your asses and play some football!

jwmann2
10-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Yeah but they got the W. Plus hitting the punter is fun. Youtube Sean Taylor-Brian Moorman.

connecticutsteel
10-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Tomlin addressed that after the game when asked about it and said they feel that Mendy is a highly conditioned guy and they felt good about his chances to punch it in after the long run. So that one pretty is on Tomlin much like his bonehead decisions not to challenge calls that will get overturned or poor poor usage of timeouts before the half when you have a chance to get points. Tomlin is one of the worst coaches in the league at clock management he is down right atrocious at it. Maybe if quits worrying about shadow boxing his boys like Farrior and Taylor all the time on the sideline after they make big plays and focuses more on in game management he will become better at knowing when to use his timeouts and challenging certain calls...
Trust ne there are a lot worse coaches in the league