PDA

View Full Version : Offense getting too greedy now

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 05:02 PM
I think Bruce Arians used up his allotment of home run plays in the 1st half. The offensive line was controlling the line of scrimmage, Ben was on target, Heath was making plays, Rashard had a big first half and then everything went to sleep. Arians got way too greedy late in the 2nd half with the long passes and the Steelers were unable to sustain any offense for the rest of the game.

Balance was the name of the game in the first half. Rashard Mendenhall had over 100 yds in the first 2 quarters, Ben was nearing 200 yds through the air as well. I liked the killer instinct that the team had heading into the second half, however the execution was terrible on offense especially.

When you go deep so often you open yourselves up to problems if you don't convert. The Jags defense knew that Ben was looking deep to Wallace and company so they didn't have to respect the short passing game. They could bring the pass rush and crash the line of scrimmage, which is exactly what happened in the 2nd half. The Steelers were then unable to run the ball with any consistency late in the game because the Jaguars already had a beat on getting into the backfield. When you make yourself so predictable going deep and then try to dial it back, it never works.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-16-2011, 05:03 PM
I totally agree. They kept going for too many big plays and left the run game behind too often

SteelDad
10-16-2011, 05:04 PM
No question BRC. Everyone likes the home run ball, but when singles and doubles are getting the job done, you stick with it. I put this issue squarely on Ben and BA. Greedy indeed.

Speeed
10-16-2011, 05:18 PM
I disagree. I think it was, my quote from another post:

I think the pendulum swung after Legursky got hurt. A blocked punt, a crappy punt, a Ben fumble, more penalties. I think it was a comedy of errors after the injury. If it was not one issue it was another. I am simply dumbfounded . . . .

In addition, I think it was execution. No plays were working. We could get zero going. If you can run a simple play, you can't set up bigger plays.

I think Bruce Arians used up his allotment of home run plays in the 1st half. The offensive line was controlling the line of scrimmage, Ben was on target, Heath was making plays, Rashard had a big first half and then everything went to sleep. Arians got way too greedy late in the 2nd half and into the 4th quarter before they finally started to try and run the ball alittle more.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 05:35 PM
I agree...but Ben was on target? Sorry, Ben was not on target. This one can't be blamed on the offensive line. Offensive line was unreal today, for the most part. That had a few botched plays but he had 3+ seconds to throw on almost every snap, and again he was overthrowing receivers all day. Yes, to Mike Wallace you can air it out and almost everytime he'll make the catch, but realize who you're throwing to Ben. Sanders and Brown aren't as fast. How many times did he overthrow them when they had a step or 2 on the defender? 4? 5? Not to mention the overthrow to Brown in the endzone. That was awful.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 05:38 PM
When you go almost exclusively to the pass, it's hard to turn it back on with the run. The Jags began to expect the long ball nearly every time Ben dropped back. This offense has to remain disciplined and balanced. You can't get caught up in the long ball all the time. That's how the Raiders ran their offense for years and look where it got them.

I agree that things broke down on offense and you can't take anything away from the Jags. The problem is as soon as you see the offense starting to "find it's stride" they take another step in the wrong direction.

The Jags outgained the Steelers on offense in the 2nd half, 141 yds to 55 yds.

Goodfrom55
10-16-2011, 05:40 PM
agreed, too many shots downfield. Not sure why Ben constsntly force feeds Wallace the ball.

Raleigh Steel
10-16-2011, 05:47 PM
BRC...100% on the money. the game film will say it all. when we ran these plays, we were dominating....when we ran these plays, we let them back in the game.

296 yards in the first half...50 in the second. when we don't play BA ball, i.e. short passes, straight ahead running, we put up yards and points. when we play BA ball, we chuck it deep with nothing to set it up, we abandon the run and the short passing game...we get no where and score nothing!

We know what works with this team...we showed it last week and in the 1st half this week...then bruce pulled a bruce and did his thing.

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 05:52 PM
BRC you are right on the money. As well executed as a deep ball looks it somewhat luck to. We threw deep to much, we had a lead get the have long drives kill the clock. And dont send sanders deep, it seems that eveytime Ben throws to Sanders deep he is expecting Wallace and Brown type speed

JensK
10-16-2011, 06:02 PM
It looked as though the wind was really rough on those deep throws which makes you wonder why they kept throwing it deep. Sure, Ben had people open down there but he was unable to deliver it all game long. I'm not exactly a fan of a west-coast offense though we have a pretty decent personal for slants, screens and whatnot... Why not use it? And by use it I do not mean throwing a bubblescreen to Hines Ward even though it actually gave positive yards today.

Stairwayto7
10-16-2011, 06:05 PM
It looked as though the wind was really rough on those deep throws which makes you wonder why they kept throwing it deep. Sure, Ben had people open down there but he was unable to deliver it all game long. I'm not exactly a fan of a west-coast offense though we have a pretty decent personal for slants, screens and whatnot... Why not use it? And by use it I do not mean throwing a bubblescreen to Hines Ward even though it actually gave positive yards today.

Yeah where were the slants that have been working???

Danger DANJ
10-16-2011, 06:40 PM
I agree...but Ben was on target? Sorry, Ben was not on target. This one can't be blamed on the offensive line. Offensive line was unreal today, for the most part. That had a few botched plays but he had 3+ seconds to throw on almost every snap, and again he was overthrowing receivers all day. Yes, to Mike Wallace you can air it out and almost everytime he'll make the catch, but realize who you're throwing to Ben. Sanders and Brown aren't as fast. How many times did he overthrow them when they had a step or 2 on the defender? 4? 5? Not to mention the overthrow to Brown in the endzone. That was awful.

Exactly my thoughts on the game. If Ben throws better balls, he could have put up 24 or even 28 points by halftime. I'd say three of his bad throws could have been TDs, especially the one to Brown in the endzone where they settled for a FG. Just horrible throws.

Iron Paul
10-16-2011, 06:51 PM
[B]I totally agree! Ben & Arians got greedy after last week. Quick short passes can eat up the yards...not bombs all the time. Sanders & Brown are NOT Wallace. Ben needs to realize this and not try to throw to them as he does to Wallace.

Moondog
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
I signed on here to agree with the whole premise of this thread. That to me was the turning point, the change in their offensive philosophy that is. Ben and Arians got cocky and greedy and for two to three possessions in the middle of the game they kept trying to force the long ball. Metriculating the ball down the field with runs and short passes has been working, if it is not broke don't fix it. Ben had five TDs just last week working this philosophy, he still got to hit Wallace on a long ball to boot.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Let's remember too, as I mentioned before. It's not that the Steelers got away from the running game in the 2nd half. They opened up with a run on first and 2nd down on several drives. The problem was, in the pass they went deep so often that the Jags stopped respecting the short passing game and just started to crash the line of scrimmage and shut down the run.

UKSTEELER
10-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Remember, . . . BA gets upset if we don't get the long ball to Wallace at least 5 times a game!

Sounds ridiculous, but today's second half display proves it to be true.

Utterly wretched play calling:rant2:

Stone
10-16-2011, 08:12 PM
I think Bruce Arians used up his allotment of home run plays in the 1st half. The offensive line was controlling the line of scrimmage, Ben was on target, Heath was making plays, Rashard had a big first half and then everything went to sleep. Arians got way too greedy late in the 2nd half and into the 4th quarter before they finally started to try and run the ball alittle more.

Yeah, Arians was calling way too many deep balls.The guy is one extreme or the other!

But Ben was anything but accurate, he flat out missed 4 open TD passes.

Why BA can't use all the plays in the playbook every week instead of using deep balls one week, the run one week, short pass plays one week. ............I just don't get it!

All they needed to do was make an occasional quick pass to keep the chains moving!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-16-2011, 09:03 PM
The only deep ball I don't blame on Ben is were when he was rushed and he didn't have time to plant his feet....The rest were on him period....He was just flat out off today and the OL played their asses off.......

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Agreed about Ben, he missed several wide open targets today. The one that he overthrew AB in the endzone; he was getting pressure from his left side and if he had a second longer he probably would have been more accurate.

With the Jags getting some more pressure today than the Titans got, and Ben going back to his holding onto the ball more this week, it resulted in more inaccurate passes.

uclkyle
10-17-2011, 01:51 AM
I think the offensive problems in the second half revolved around poor play calling. I'm actually one of BA's last supporters, I think he does a good job calling plays typically. Today, not so much. For the six quarters leading up to the second half today, the short passes, play action on first down, stretch runs, ect were actually working. The second half was consistently two running plays, a deep pass, and punt. Wish BA would have stuck with some play action on first down, expose the middle of the field with Hines and Heath, and some screen passes and/or slants to Wallace. Anyone could predict the offense in the second half today.

steelersbabex25
10-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Agreed about Ben, he missed several wide open targets today. The one that he overthrew AB in the endzone; he was getting pressure from his left side and if he had a second longer he probably would have been more accurate.

With the Jags getting some more pressure today than the Titans got, and Ben going back to his holding onto the ball more this week, it resulted in more inaccurate passes.

Still think he has to make that throw.

DBR96A
10-17-2011, 03:52 AM
The Steelers didn't abandon the run in the second half. You know how many times a pass was attempted on first down in the second half? Two. The play-calling became much more predictable: run every first down, and try to bomb it down the field every third down. The only down on which the Jaguars defense had to guess in the second half was second down, and if they guessed correctly, then everything else fell into place for them.

steelersbabex25
10-17-2011, 08:24 AM
The Steelers didn't abandon the run in the second half. You know how many times a pass was attempted on first down in the second half? Two. The play-calling became much more predictable: run every first down, and try to bomb it down the field every third down. The only down on which the Jaguars defense had to guess in the second half was second down, and if they guessed correctly, then everything else fell into place for them.

Predictable play calling in the second half, gee, haven't heard that one before.

Sometime during the third quarter my brother and I started guessing what the play would be before the snap. We were right probably 75% of the time.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Predictable play calling in the second half, gee, haven't heard that one before.

Sometime during the third quarter my brother and I started guessing what the play would be before the snap. We were right probably 75% of the time.

Run, Run, Pass or Go deep, run, pass..yep that's about the size of it. LOL.

SteelDad
10-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Ben mentioned the wind as being a problem in his post-game comments. This makes me scratch my head even more. You have big lead and the wind is swirling so why do you keep chucking it deep? Frickin Pop Warner coaches know better than to do this. I wonder sometimes if Arians think he's playing Madden on Xbox....

Troyisabeast_43
10-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Ben has been missing a lot of open receivers so far this year especially in the back of the end zone. I love Ben and the way he plays more then anything but it still doesnt change the fact that a lot of the time when he does a simple 3 step or more drop back pass his mechanics tend to be very poor. Plays like the one he missed with Antonio wide open in the end zone yesterday cant afford to be overthrown when youre playing teams like New England,Baltimore,and even the Bengals 3 out of the next 4 weeks.