PDA

View Full Version : Defense Was Huge Today

SteelDad
10-16-2011, 05:02 PM
While most of the focus is on the terrible 2nd half by the Steelers' offense, the defense registerd 5 sacks and limited the Jags offense all day. With Chris Hoke missing significant time and Troy missing most of the 4th quarter, the defense did as expected against a rookie QB.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Keisel's big sack was the play of the game, if he doesn't make that sack on the Jags first down with less than 30 seconds or so left, the Jags may have been a lot closer. He is no question the Steelers unsung hero on defense, long surpassing Aaron Smith.

Hood is looking better and better on the left side; both he and Keisel are doing a good job on the ends. Credit McLendon as well; when Hoke when out he saw more action and played pretty well. I also noticed Cam Heyward getting some more snaps and continuing to show flashes of what he's capable of.

This is the way the Steelers are used to playing and winning, the offense does some good things but the defense has to save the day. Thank goodness they were up to the challenge late. I thought Lebeau did a nice job mixing in the blitzes and really was able to get after Gabbert.

Farrior had 6 T. 5 assists and 1 sack
Clark had 5 T. 5 assists
Keisel 4 T. 2 assists and 2 sacks
Woodley 4 T. 4 assists and 2 sacks.

Woodley is starting to find his stride now, with 1.5 sacks last week and now 2 this week. You credit the defensive line though as much as you credit Wood.

nick5574
10-16-2011, 05:07 PM
defense won this game today despite the offense continually trying to give it away to the jags.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 05:13 PM
I can't believe Troy does not have an INT yet, the dude has been SO unbelievably close this year and nearly had a couple today.

They really seemed to go to sleep in the 2nd half, but credit Jacksonville for making plays. Fortunately they stepped up late in the game but that was too close for my liking.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Woodley was the difference maker for me today. He was awesome.

Katmandu
10-16-2011, 05:36 PM
They really seemed to go to sleep in the 2nd half, It's kinda like Ben gets going early on, gets too comfortable with the lead, then gets BORED and NEEDS to create some unneccessary DRAMA and heart attacks! :banging:

Goodfrom55
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Defense played well, but when they have a chance to make a turnover, they ,MUST seize the opportunity.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Defense played well, but when they have a chance to make a turnover, they ,MUST seize the opportunity.

True. Troy should have had one, Timmons should have had one, Hood should have had two. We need to get back on the + side of the turnovers, or atleast put a dent in it.

Goodfrom55
10-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Gotta get Troy back for next week. Hope he was held out for precautionary reasons, but I don't think so.

steelersbabex25
10-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Ryan Clark :duh:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2011, 06:57 PM
It's amazing how great this defense can be with the emotions are high and they are playing their lives depended on it. Then suddenly a big play happens that goes against the Steelers and for whatever reason this team, defense specifically in this thread, has trouble recovering. I realize it can be hard to "turn it back on" however you'd like to see them recover quicker.

No question though, the defense saved the day with big plays when they needed them. They really covered that final hail mary by Gabbert well; was there even a Jags WR around?

Raleigh Steel
10-16-2011, 08:26 PM
the defense did play well, but if the jags had a better QB it could have been a different story. they did a pretty good job of stopping MJD, and had almost zero respect for gabbert. and he didn't play horribly, but he missed a lot of open guys. a better QB, and we are talking about why the steelers are .500

don't get me wrong, i've got no complaints about the defense, but the jags were in this game becasue of BA and his crappy *** offense. when is tomlin going to step in and do something about that?