PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Narrow Down to 3 Finalists

Ambridge
01-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Just heard on Sirius NFL Radio.

Russ Grimm
Ron Rivera
Mike Tomlin

Thank goodness-No Chan Gailey and No Mike Sherman!

AZ_Steeler
01-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Grimm :pray: I don't really care for the other 2

Blitzburgh55
01-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I want Ron Rivera

Captcoolhand
01-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I thought I read somewhere this morning that Tomlin was kicked to the curb:dunno:

K Train
01-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Grimm or Rivera please

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Thank goodness we're making some headway here ! Now let's get this final decisions out of the way and call it already !!

If we're going to make a decision soon like the rumors state, then it can't be Rivera because he's still under contract with the Bears, unless some behind the scenes deal is in the mix but that's not too likely with the tampering laws of the NFL.

Ambridge
01-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Rivera is very Cowher-like so I'd like to see him get it but I can be happy with all three candidates.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey when the Bears lose this Sunday then Rivera will be available.

K Train
01-15-2007, 05:07 PM
We could have Rivera already, the bears gave us permission to talk to him so he might have said he wants to come here, obviously no contracts can be drawn up yet but with the permission you never know what went on

BlitzburghRockCity
Comon Saints ! :lol:

K Train
who the hell is tomlin lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 05:08 PM
We could have Rivera already, the bears gave us permission to talk to him so he might have said he wants to come here, obviously no contracts can be drawn up yet but with the permission you never know what went on

As far as I know, and I could be wrong mind you, that they gave us permission to talk to him but that was only 1 time in Chicago; I can't imagine they'd let ongoing talks continue while they are in the playoffs.

Ambridge
01-15-2007, 05:12 PM
As far as I know, and I could be wrong mind you, that they gave us permission to talk to him but that was only 1 time in Chicago; I can't imagine they'd let ongoing talks continue while they are in the playoffs.

I wonder if that covers conference calls and private calls during Rivera's personal time??

SteelerFan87
01-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Wow. What the hell was the point of adding Gailey and Sherman to the mix and thus wasting time and allowing Whisenhunt to go to the Cardinals when you didn't really want them anyway? I wanted Whiz, and I REALLY hope this doesn't come back to screw us like the last time we let an OC go early in the development of a QB (Kordell). Well, I think Rivera would be a good coach, but if we hire him we can pretty much say goodbye to probably our whole coaching staff, especially LeBeau. Thus, hire Grimm. He'll keep LeBeau, most of our other coaches will probably stay, and we won't have to have too many changes from a staff that just won the Super Bowl.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 05:14 PM
I wonder if that covers conference calls and private calls during Rivera's personal time??

That's a good point. The NFL is a business but you know that when deals like this go down, virtually anything could have happened behind the scenes for weeks. When the Steelers met with him in Chicago Im would imagine that wasn't the only chat they've had with him; well maybe the only one on an "official" basis.

The NFL has strict rules about tampering so Im sure they were careful about it if that was the case.

Troyisabeast_43
01-15-2007, 05:37 PM
At this point it could be anyone of those 3 we just dont know. I did come on here last week and said that dont be shocked if Mike Tomlin gets the job and is one of the 2 or 3 finalists. He has the exact same resume as Cowher did when he was hired and is a guy with a lot of fire and a good defensive coach as well. I will not be shocked at all if it is Tomlin. My pick at this point is Ron Rivera. Why would they still leave his name in there now as one of the 3 finalists knowing full well they cannot interview him until after the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs. You gotta believe that if the Steelers dont hire Grimm or Tomlin by Thursday or Friday this week after both 2nd interviews have been completed then it will be Ron Rivera. I do believe that the Bears will lose to the Saints on Sunday and that will allow the Steelers to get him in here Monday next week and have the decision made on Rivera probably by early next week. That's my predicition as of now.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Waiting for Rivera is aweful risky, it's not like we are the only ones who need a coach and would want him so Im just crossing my fingers at this point.

PITT23
01-15-2007, 05:43 PM
http://www.pittsburghsportsinsider.com/?p=263

That confirms what Ambridge said. I'm willing to bet that if we wait until next weekend then it's because we're waiting for Rivera. If they want Grimm then I think they'll announce it in a few days.

Steelerlyn
01-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey when the Bears lose this Sunday then Rivera will be available.

LOL I hope the Bears don't lose

Koopa
01-15-2007, 05:56 PM
go tomlin.............why y'all hating on the dark fellow??? lol.......

K Train
01-15-2007, 06:02 PM
i dont even know who tomlin is

steelcurtain09
01-15-2007, 06:05 PM
i dont even know who tomlin is

hes the D coordinator for t he Vikings

K Train
01-15-2007, 06:06 PM
i know that, but i never heard anything special about him before

Koopa
01-15-2007, 06:07 PM
did you hear anything special about cowher before lol

i never heard of rivera till cowher stepped down....

K Train
01-15-2007, 06:09 PM
i was like 5 when cowher came in lol

Troyisabeast_43
01-15-2007, 06:30 PM
They are going to wait until next week or next week or 2 weeks anyway because Rivera is going to be guaranteed a second interview no matter what here. So dont expect an announcement to be made this week even though Tomlin and Grimm are getting another interview in the next few days. They will not make a decision on the who next coach is until Ron Rivera gets his second interview like Grimm and Tomlin. If that means waiting around another 3 weeks if the Bears make it to the Super Bowl then so be it. That's the direction the Rooney's appear to be going in because I sense they really really like and want Ron Rivera.

Koopa
01-15-2007, 06:34 PM
if they really really want rivera, they should stop stringing poor fat *** grimm around...........

K Train
01-15-2007, 06:39 PM
i just read across the bottom of the screen that tomlin gets a second interveiw tuesday, grimm wednsday, and rivera after the bears season

Koopa
01-15-2007, 06:48 PM
i read that tomlin, and Gailey get a second interview with the dolphins........they should really look into Gailey, i've heard great stuff about him lol

Friday133
01-15-2007, 06:53 PM
i heard the rooney's thought rivera had the best 1st interview.

DIESELMAN
01-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Steelers President Art Rooney II issued the following statement regarding the team’s head coaching search:

“We are pleased with the progress of our search to date. We now will move into the second interview phase and we are confident that each of the candidates on our short list will be excellent head coaches in the NFL. It is our task to determine which one is the best candidate for the Pittsburgh Steelers at this point in time. Our time frame remains as was stated at the beginning. We will conclude the search when we have found the best coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

Koopa
01-15-2007, 07:04 PM
go tomlin or rivera, bring some color into the steel city

jtsteeler
01-15-2007, 07:26 PM
I just hate the thoughts of someone coming in & cleaning house, lets face it we have a working operation why dump the apple cart, bring Russ up

DIESELMAN
01-15-2007, 07:48 PM
During an ESPN appearance Sunday, Roethlisberger said he hoped an offensive coach would replace Cowher.

"We just want a winner to come in, someone that's going to command all of our respect," he said.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Every QB in the league wants an offensive minded coach :lol:

Koopa
01-15-2007, 09:16 PM
i want tomlin, rivera, or grimm........i like my chances now of being happy with the choice lol

K Train
01-15-2007, 09:17 PM
i thought you hated grimm

Blitzburgh55
01-15-2007, 09:18 PM
NO Timlin please what has he ever done

House of Steel
01-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Well, Koopa, if it was Grimm, they would of said it by now, something is telling me they may want Rivera and are hoping the Saints take care of the Bears this weekend so they can get him signed. We'll see. It looks like I will be happy also.

Ambridge
01-15-2007, 09:29 PM
i thought you hated grimm

Yeah!! Koop hated Grimm because he was fat.
Word has it that Russ was getting ready to start the Nutri System Diet.:lol:

Koopa
01-15-2007, 09:41 PM
but i've said many times i was just talkin ****, and that the more i read on him the more i hate it cause i like him more and more, cause he seems like a good person and he seems like he'll make a good coach for us

and HoS, grimm isn't my first choice so i don't really care if they go after rivera

i just want it to be tomlin, rivera, or grimm lol

K Train
01-15-2007, 09:49 PM
so hes ok despite him looking like andy reid

Koopa
01-15-2007, 09:50 PM
so hes ok despite him looking like andy reid

lol, yeah pretty much lol.................

K Train
01-15-2007, 09:52 PM
i bet he'd be happy to have your approval

TEEMONT
01-15-2007, 10:37 PM
NO Timlin please what has he ever done

Pretty much the same thing Grimm has done, next to nothing, hell even Rivera's vaunted D is looking softer.

I say Timlin or Grimm.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Pretty much the same thing Grimm has done, next to nothing, hell even Rivera's vaunted D is looking softer.

I say Timlin or Grimm.

One big reason the Bears D hasn't been as good since their best Dlineman has been hurt. They miss Tommie Harris bigtime. Plus having Mike Brown out doesn't help them to.

I would be happy with Tomlin or Rivera.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Rivera's D has had problems since Mid season when they started getting injuries, and then Tank's problems, and Tommi Harris going down, they are vulnerable to the run up the middle.

The only thing that worries me about Rivera is that he's a defensive guru and we already have a defensive guru in Lebeau. Our team isn't built to run a defense like the Bears run, there's is not better than ours but it's just different. We run the 34 zone blitz and they dont, our team isnt built for that and if he were to come in and try to change us up in that respect we could be looking at a long next few years.

Now that Lebeau is back and wants to continue coaching, my gut tells me go with Grimm.

K Train
01-15-2007, 10:43 PM
im just happy gailey and sheman are out of the discussion

K Train
01-15-2007, 10:44 PM
and its not like rivera is a retard and is gonna overhaul our defense and do nothing with the offense

Black@Gold Forever32
01-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Rivera's D has had problems since Mid season when they started getting injuries, and then Tank's problems, and Tommi Harris going down, they are vulnerable to the run up the middle.

The only thing that worries me about Rivera is that he's a defensive guru and we already have a defensive guru in Lebeau. Our team isn't built to run a defense like the Bears run, there's is not better than ours but it's just different. We run the 34 zone blitz and they dont, our team isnt built for that and if he were to come in and try to change us up in that respect we could be looking at a long next few years.

Now that Lebeau is back and wants to continue coaching, my gut tells me go with Grimm.

Yea but I doubt Rivera or Tomlin would try to change things. They are smart enough to know the Steelers have LeBeau as DC and the Steelers are built for the 3-4. I like the idea of maybe Rivera and LeBeau coming up with some crazy **** for offenses. That combo together could drive offenses crazy.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-15-2007, 10:46 PM

+1:bigthumb:

House of Steel
01-15-2007, 10:47 PM
I say it again AMEN!!!!

DIESELMAN
01-15-2007, 10:50 PM

I'm with you there bro.....Gailey has got 1 heart attack under his belt already and they both have shown ****.

Koopa
01-15-2007, 11:09 PM
yeah, i don't get why ppl would worry about that, these 2 guys are up and coming guys, i doubt they wanna step on ppls toes and overhaul everything, no matter who we get, they won't just up and change the d to whatever they like, it's obvious our team is built for a 3-4....and they won't be stupid enough to just change everything

Prosdo
01-16-2007, 12:42 AM
I like the final 3. I think they all could make head coaches. I'm kind of liking Rivera right now.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Yea but I doubt Rivera or Tomlin would try to change things. They are smart enough to know the Steelers have LeBeau as DC and the Steelers are built for the 3-4. I like the idea of maybe Rivera and LeBeau coming up with some crazy **** for offenses. That combo together could drive offenses crazy.

Im not saying that Rivera or Tomlin would want to come in and clean house and change our system, but he and Lebeau have a different philosphy on defenses and both are experts in their style of defense. It could just be a creative mess that would hold us back for awhile.

Koopa
01-16-2007, 01:15 AM
or it could be a positive, 2 great defensive minds coming together and creating the crazy *** defense that no one has ever seen and takes us all the way back to the superbowl in Arizona

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2007, 01:34 AM
That's true and if he's hired that could very well happen; it's anybody's guess at this point.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2007, 12:57 PM
or it could be a positive, 2 great defensive minds coming together and creating the crazy *** defense that no one has ever seen and takes us all the way back to the superbowl in Arizona

+1:bigthumb: