PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Tuesday, 10-11-11

LatrobePA
10-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Tuesday with Tomlin

The big news out of Tuesday's press conference was that Mike Tomlin only expects James Harrison to miss four weeks after having surgery to repair a broken orbital bone last week.

In fact, Tomlin wouldn't rule out Harrison returning sooner than that, saying if anyone could do so, Harrison would.

In other news, only Harrison and Aaron Smith have been declared out for Sunday's game against Jacksonville.

Mewelde Moore, Jason Worilds, Marcus Gilbert, Casey Hampton and Chris Kemoeatu are questionable.

Maurkice Pouncey, Cortez Allen, Rashed Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger are all expected to be available to play.

Interestingly enough, Tomlin didn't automatically declare Kemoeatu or Mendenhall the starters when they return, saying he would wait to see how they look in practice.

In addition, Tomlin said that William Gay and Keenan Lewis will continue to start ahead of Bryant McFadden.

"We're not going to fix it if it's not broken," Tomlin said.

The same goes for Lawrence Timmons at outside linebacker, even if Worilds is ready to go.

steelersbabex25
10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
4 weeks :yikes1: That's longer than I expected..

Rampage
10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I like hearing that some of these guys aren't going to automatically get their spots back. Play the best man and make these guys compete if they want a spot. Love it.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2011, 01:12 PM
I think most of us were thinking about 3-6 week for James. The coaches are going to have to be careful to not let him return too soon if he wants too. If that eye socket bone isn't healed fully and he takes a shot on the head it could disastrous for him.

Great news about Lewis and Gay; both guys have earned the chance to continue to get the start.

Let's hope that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality carries over the offensive line and the game plan over all.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%27%20Smith%20to%20miss%20another%20game%2 0-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761285.html#ixzz1aUiA7ypN)

Defensive end Aaron Smith will miss his second consecutive game because of a sprained foot, while a number of other Steelers are questionable for Sunday's game against the visiting Jacksonville Jaguars because of injuries.

Those who may not play in the 1 p.m. game include right tackle Marcus Gilbert (shoulder), nose tackle Casey Hampton (shoulder), running back Mewelde Moore (ankle) and outside linebacker Jason Worilds (quad).

If Gilbert, who was knocked out of last Sunday's game is unable to play, Jonathan Scott will start at right tackle.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin indicated that Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster will remain the starters at left guard and right guard, respectively, which makes it likely that Chris Kemoeatu will miss his second straight game because of a knee injury.
Ziggy Hood will start at left defensive end with Smith out and Chris Hoke will start at nose tackle if Hampton is unable to play.

SteelDad
10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
In addition, Tomlin said that William Gay and Keenan Lewis will continue to start ahead of Bryant McFadden.

I have no problem with this.

I assume Rashard is seeing the writing on the wall here....

Big T
10-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Rashard will be the starter if he's healthy, no doubt.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2011, 02:43 PM

I have no problem with this.

I assume Rashard is seeing the writing on the wall here....

Hopefully he took notes on Sunday too :yesnod:

Troyisabeast_43
10-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Rashard will be the starter if he's healthy, no doubt.

I wouldnt be so sure about that. If Moore is unable to go on Sunday again then I stick with the Redman Dwyer 1-2 punch one more week and see how well it can do in consecutive weeks...The way Issac Redman runs with the ball when he gets his opportunities it's going to be hard for Tomlin to not give the guy more of an opportunity if he is making more progress with the running game and gaining more yards then Mendenhall is when he touches the ball.

LatrobePA
10-11-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm starting to buy into the Redman feature back thinking. Mike doesn't need to rush Mendy back into the line up so why not let 34 heal completely for our run??

Troyisabeast_43
10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
I like hearing that some of these guys aren't going to automatically get their spots back. Play the best man and make these guys compete if they want a spot. Love it.

Im not putting either Aaron Smith back in the starting lineup when he is healthy period and Im not so sure I am doing the samething with Hampton either. Ziggy has earned the right to start over Smith at this point, and I think Heyward deserves more snaps and you cant deny the overwhelming successfully numbers the Steelers have when Chris Hoke starts at Nose Tackle in place of Casey Hampton.

LatrobePA
10-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Im not putting either Aaron Smith back in the starting lineup when he is healthy period and Im not so sure I am doing the samething with Hampton either. Ziggy has earned the right to start over Smith at this point, and I think Heyward deserves more snaps and you cant deny the overwhelming successfully numbers the Steelers have when Chris Hoke starts at Nose Tackle in place of Casey Hampton.

Abso-freakin-lutely!:tt02:

Goodfrom55
10-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Amazing how quickly the Steelers got "younger" on defense, huh?

LatrobePA
10-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Amazing how quickly the Steelers got "younger" on defense, huh?

They seen the light I hope!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2011, 04:20 PM
That goes along with the, "if it ain't broke" line of thinking, when it comes to Smith and Hampton. Casey has struggled in a big way this year, although with Aaron he had a pretty good game going 2 weeks ago until he got hurt.

I'm not saying I'd be against giving Hood more time either though. Sooner or later you have to let the kid go and see what he can do.

cmerrifield
10-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Tomlin said specifically if it aint broke talking about our secondary. I would be shocked if Mendy isnt the starter when healthy. They may give him one more week to get healthy since Redman/Dwyer played well and its the Jags, but he will start when healthy. Let's not forget Redman only average 3.3 yards a carry. Its not like he was average 12 or something and that was behind a MUCH improved o-line with Starks back in there.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2011, 09:55 PM
According to Ed Bouchette, he still thinks Mendenhall will be the starter if he's healthy on Sunday, but we'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

LatrobePA
10-11-2011, 10:53 PM
North and south mendy!!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Mendenhall might be the starter if healthy but I would expect the other RB's to be worked in as well......Really the Steelers should use all of their RB's if they're active......Each bring different things to the table....

Aaron Smith should only be used for depth at this point...Let the young DL play no doubt....I would roll with Hoke to at NT at this point since Casey hasn't impressed at all........

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm anxious to see how much more time Hoke gets, good call man. The dude is money when he starts, 16-1 record when 76 is at NT..lol.

I don't expect the Steelers to ever forget about Mendy, he's too good of a back. I do hope they realize Redman needs more carries. I don't know how much more time Dwyer will get once Memo is healthy again.

Mike Tomlin
10-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Mendenhall might be the starter if healthy but I would expect the other RB's to be worked in as well......Really the Steelers should use all of their RB's if they're active......Each bring different things to the table....

Aaron Smith should only be used for depth at this point...Let the young DL play no doubt....I would roll with Hoke to at NT at this point since Casey hasn't impressed at all........
I agree only thing is when Hoke plays he has a good game then he normally gets injured the next game. McClendon is going to have to play more also.

STEELyourface
10-12-2011, 12:42 AM
I'm anxious to see how much more time Hoke gets, good call man. The dude is money when he starts, 16-1 record when 76 is at NT..lol.

I don't expect the Steelers to ever forget about Mendy, he's too good of a back. I do hope they realize Redman needs more carries. I don't know how much more time Dwyer will get once Memo is healthy again.

I was very happy to see Dwyer getting touches and really hope that doesn't stop once Mendy is completely healthy. I've always thought Dwyer could contribute if given some touches.

connecticutsteel
10-12-2011, 12:48 AM
4 weeks :yikes1: That's longer than I expected..

it's not long enough i thought it was kinda funny that the minute that Harrison ,Smith and Hampton went out we looked awesome on defense . that is cause we are not old when you take the has beens off the field . I love those guys but it may be time for them to sit