PDA

View Full Version : Should Redman be the feature back or does Rashard get his job back?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Rashard suited up for the game on Sunday vs the Titans but never saw the field. When Redman went down with injury he began warming up on the sidelines; stretching, doing quick sprints, etc. However Tomlin never put him in the lineup as Jonathan Dwyer finished out the game.

Something else I noticed and maybe some of you did too. When the CBS camera's were on Mendenhall at various times during the game when the offense was on the field, not once did I see him cheering on the team or talking to the other backs. Now I realize we didn't have access to him for the whole 60 minutes but I found it odd that he was just standing there, almost with this sulking look on his face. When Redman went down they showed Rashard right after that and his eyes lit up as he started getting ready to hopefully go in. It just seemed to me that he wasn't being the most supportive teammate he could have been. Again I realize I may be off on this but that's how I took it.

As far as the game goes though, since he is Arians' proclaimed "workhorse", should he get his job back when he's healthy again? The Steelers need to be careful with this team right now. The win was great on Sunday but clearly Redman and Dwyer have the hot hand right now; being married to the notion that Rashard should get his job back as the starter may not necessarily be the way to go. As I've said before, Mendy is a very good back and nobody should think otherwise. He's talented and has done a lot for this team. However in today's NFL, especially when you're struggling, sometimes you need a spark. If that spark comes from someone else then so be it. It's all about winning now because you only have so many chances each year.

steelersbabex25
10-11-2011, 12:47 AM
There was a shot where they showed him talking and laughing with Dwyer.

JensK
10-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Had the game been very close at the point where Redman went down, I'm sure Mendenhall would have seen reps. However, baring the situation it made more sense to rest him and get Dwyer some reps. Steelers have stated that it is Mendenhalls job 100 %.

NC Joker
10-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Something else I noticed and maybe some of you did too. When the CBS camera's were on Mendenhall at various times during the game when the offense was on the field, not once did I see him cheering on the team or talking to the other backs.

He was cheering. At one point I seen him give Redman a pound after a decent run. No starter should ever lose their job to an injury.But I do think Redman should get more reps more like a thunder and Lightning combo.

LarryNJ
10-11-2011, 08:11 AM
It's Rashards job as it should be. I think the only thing that will be different now is they will probably give the other guys a few more touches each game.

jpele
10-11-2011, 09:04 AM
If I were coach Redman and Dwyer are my RB's against Jacksonville with Mendy getting the roll Redman played earlier in the season.

Knowing the Steelers I'd be really shocked if Mendenhall doesn't start on Sunday.

Stone
10-11-2011, 09:19 AM
This is not a case where a starter should lose his job. That being said, I'd really like to see more Dwyer.

connecticutsteel
10-11-2011, 11:10 AM
The only change i would make is i would move dwyer ahead of memo
Remember i think Dwyer would be on the practice squad if Batch didn't hurt his knee

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2011, 11:37 AM
I used to be of the thinking that a starter should not lose his job just because of injury. However in today's NFL, things just happen. If you go down with an injury and miss significant time, and your backup comes in and plays well, plays better than what you did then you have to atleast consider the fact that perhaps the backup should get the lion's share of the playtime.

It doesn't mean you forget about the previous starter, but maybe you begin to split the game time between the 2 players more evenly than what you did. This is a what have you done for me lately league, just because you were good before doesn't mean you're guaranteed a job no matter what.

Stone
10-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I used to be of the thinking that a starter should not lose his job just because of injury. However in today's NFL, things just happen. If you go down with an injury and miss significant time, and your backup comes in and plays well, plays better than what you did then you have to atleast consider the fact that perhaps the backup should get the lion's share of the playtime.

It doesn't mean you forget about the previous starter, but maybe you begin to split the game time between the 2 players more evenly than what you did. This is a what have you done for me lately league, just because you were good before doesn't mean you're guaranteed a job no matter what.

I agree with this to a degree. And I really like Redman's second effort!

Rampage
10-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Honestly, I'd like to see equal attempts by Mendenhall, Redman and Dwyer; the running back by committee approach. They each have a different style and the thing is, Mendenhall is a good running back. Let's see what he can do with some improved blocking and play calling before he's relegated to the bench.

Stone
10-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Honestly, I'd like to see equal attempts by Mendenhall, Redman and Dwyer; the running back by committee approach. They each have a different style and the thing is, Mendenhall is a good running back. Let's see what he can do with some improved blocking and play calling before he's relegated to the bench.

This is a great point!

However, it assumes BA has changed his stripes!

steelchamp204
10-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Mendy wont lose his spot cause of an injury. I want Redman to start and said that all along, but it wont happen. Mendy is gonna be the starter no matter what. I just think that Red will get more carries and dwyer also. Imho.

steelersbabex25
10-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Something else I noticed and maybe some of you did too. When the CBS camera's were on Mendenhall at various times during the game when the offense was on the field, not once did I see him cheering on the team or talking to the other backs.

He was cheering. At one point I seen him give Redman a pound after a decent run. No starter should ever lose their job to an injury.But I do think Redman should get more reps more like a thunder and Lightning combo.

Does the name Tommy Maddox ring a bell :dunno:

chisteeler
10-11-2011, 03:10 PM

I'm reminded of a situation in New England a few years ago. Bledsoe and Brady. Hmm?

steelchamp204
10-11-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm reminded of a situation in New England a few years ago. Bledsoe and Brady. Hmm?

Bledsoe was also a qb who was old, on the backend of his career. Mendenhall to some has alot more upside, coming off a couple seasons off of a 1000 yards when healthy,and still young.

chisteeler
10-11-2011, 05:03 PM
He was only 29 yrs. old. Same age as Ben is now. I'll give you the possiblity of him being on the backened of his career, but 29 is by no means old for a QB.

coldrolled
10-11-2011, 05:10 PM
they should both be in the backfield together. mendy/redman redman/dwyer

Saunders as TE and bench 85

oh and fire arians...

K Train
10-11-2011, 05:15 PM
hell no.

i love dwyer though, the dude put on a significant amount of weight since he was at GT and just rumbles and has some decent quicks on him.

i still loathe redman though, he did nothing to change that on sunday. hes very average

Goodfrom55
10-11-2011, 07:44 PM
It's Mendenhall's job, but I think he has to realize that there was some success without him in there and he will have to stop tip toeing up to the LOS. Redman didn't run great, but he ran hard and got some dirty yards. JD ran well too, but I have to believe if Mendy was in there when the Steelers ran 22 Double and JD got his 76 yard gain, Mendy would have taken it to the house.

Now, 3 games from now, Mendy has not played, and the Redman was averaging 110 YPG, that's a different story, but this is a flash in the pan and it's good to know the Steelers have legit depth at RB. Most teams in the NFL can't say that.

--- Added 10/11/2011 at 05:44 PM ---

He was only 29 yrs. old. Same age as Ben is now. I'll give you the possiblity of him being on the backened of his career, but 29 is by no means old for a QB.

Agreed, Ben realistically has between 6 and 9 more years of good football in him - that is if he can live that long.

SnakeEyes43
10-11-2011, 08:10 PM
hell no.

i love dwyer though, the dude put on a significant amount of weight since he was at GT and just rumbles and has some decent quicks on him.

i still loathe redman though, he did nothing to change that on sunday. hes very average

If any one "rumbles", it's Redman. I love his unwillingness to go down after first contact **cough Willie, Mendy cough** and his ability to always gain that extra yard or two...or three. He's very tough to bring down. Redman isn't the fastest or biggest, but he has a ton of heart.

I also like Dwyer alot too, I have for awhile. He has great instincts and real potential; plus he tossed me an autographed hat after the ATL preseason game. :grin1:

I agree that Mendy should get his job back, as he has the most natural talent of the three. Mendy is great at times, then he has you pulling your hair out. It would be great to see Mendy, Redmen, and Dwyer get equal workloads.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-11-2011, 08:24 PM
If any one "rumbles", it's Redman. I love his unwillingness to go down after first contact **cough Willie, Mendy cough** and his ability to always gain that extra yard or two...or three. He's very tough to bring down. Redman isn't the fastest or biggest, but he has a ton of heart.

I also like Dwyer alot too, I have for awhile. He has great instincts and real potential; plus he tossed me an autographed hat after the ATL preseason game. :grin1:

I agree that Mendy should get his job back, as he has the most natural talent of the three. Mendy is great at times, then he has you pulling your hair out. It would be great to see Mendy, Redmen, and Dwyer get equal workloads.

I totally agree and couldn't have said it any better! :tt02:

Stairwayto7
10-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I think its BS if he could have played later he should have been able to play earlier.

IMO I would tell them that thier both getting snaps, but Mendy is on a short leash

--- Added 10/11/2011 at 06:29 PM ---

RUMBLE AND FUMBLE Redman and Mendy:imho:

K Train
10-12-2011, 12:07 PM
mendenhall is not even close to being the notorious fumbler a lot of you make him out to be.

the hype around redman really kinda makes me feel ill

cmerrifield
10-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Ok, he averaged 3.3 yards per carry with Starks instead of Scott. Someone please explain to be how that is "great yards after initial contact" or "better than Mendy" or "a rumbler." I dont mean any disrespect, but how is that so much better. Even Moore is averaging better than that, yet I dont hear anyone saying Moore should be our starter.

K Train
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Ok, he averaged 3.3 yards per carry with Starks instead of Scott. Someone please explain to be how that is "great yards after initial contact" or "better than Mendy" or "a rumbler." I dont mean any disrespect, but how is that so much better. Even Moore is averaging better than that, yet I dont hear anyone saying Moore should be our starter.

he was less than average. thanks for actually watching him play

SnakeEyes43
10-12-2011, 02:12 PM

I'm not sure who your quoting on "better than Mendy", since I never said that and I didn't see anyone else say that, but I'll address the other quotes that were from me.

Great yards after initial contact means that after he is hit initially, he fights for more yards. I'm sure you already knew this, but hey, you said explain it to you. Unlike some other RBs I've seen in the black and gold backfield, Redman gets hit and almost never goes backwards or down where he is contacted. He always fights for that extra yard, which is sometimes all that matters. Proof is in the film, go look. I don't get how you can watch a game on Sunday and say that Redman doesn't have good yards after initial contact.:dunno: He is almost always dragging a few for defenders a few more yards.

He is a "rumbler" because he plows forward and doesn't dance around the hole and try to juke and spin behind the line of scrimmage. I like Mendy but he does a lot of this and often goes nowhere, Parker often did the same thing. Redman hits the hole and drags people with him. He doesn't have a lot of big gains, so comparing his average to Mendy and Moore is useless. They are competently different types of backs. Moore comes in late and usually has a pretty decent run or two. Mendy gets stopped at the line five times, then has a 15 yard run, helping his average. Redmen truly gets his 3-4 yards a carry.

Anyway, I like all of our backs. And I'm very excited to see Mendy, Redman, and Dwyer get more time together. I don't think Redman is "beter than Mendy" or that he should be the starter, go back and read my post. I do however, think Redman has a role that he fills very well. To each his own. Go Steelers.

Blazedby92
10-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't believe in stats most the time but if you want to use stats here you go...looks to me Redman is the better RB even recieving.
Either way you go stats or pure seeing on field ability Redman is looking like the better option, Redman lacks speed and that is all mendy has other than a FLOP move.

Redman stats for the year
ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
37 156 4.2 20 1 11 5 30 6.0 12 0 0 0

Mendy stats
ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
58 173 3.0 23 2 10 5 21 4.2 8 0 1 1

Alot of people want Redman to fall on his face...atleast we'll know he's falling forward.haha

steelchamp204
10-12-2011, 02:27 PM

If you watched the game with Redman in there, it is a different energy he brings to the table. There was about 4 plays were he was stopped and then he pushed forward for another 3-4 yards. As you saw what he can bring energy wise also, look at what happened in the Houston game. It was a complete different running game. He blocks well also which is a plus. The guy is a tough runner, when he has a defender coming to tackle him he doesnt shy away, he squares up and lowers his pads. You hardly ever see Mendenhall do this.

xBlitzBurghx
10-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Thing is Mendenhall is a pu**y and Redman is a lot tougher

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

coldrolled
10-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Was it last year that Arians said he wanted to use Mendy and Redman together more often.. maybe its time for the pony...

K Train
10-12-2011, 03:49 PM
it is so laughable that all of a sudden mendenhall is this pussy and this weak runner that fumbles all the time when hes been everything weve needed the last 3 years and a top 10 rusher consistently.

all redman had to do was show up to training camp the first time and hes the savior of the run game that before this year didnt really need saving.

redman is a nobody, but way to be irrational about mendenhall everyone

steelchamp204
10-12-2011, 03:56 PM
it is so laughable that all of a sudden mendenhall is this pussy and this weak runner that fumbles all the time when hes been everything weve needed the last 3 years and a top 10 rusher consistently.

all redman had to do was show up to training camp the first time and hes the savior of the run game that before this year didnt really need saving.

Dont really think he is a pussy, hes just a non contact runner, he never dishes back to anyone that is tackling him, If I had a dollar for everytime he ran out of bounds instead of squaring up on someone and getting the extra yardage. Plus the way he hold the ball down from his body instead of being tucked up and in, im suprised he doesnt have more fumbles.:imho:

connecticutsteel
10-12-2011, 03:59 PM
i would move dwyer up on the food chain but sorry people no redman kool aid drinkin here he should be behind dwyer

mwittman5
10-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Mendenhall has the talent to be one of the best RB's in the NFL. He just needs to cut down on the dancing and find the holes which there haven't been many.

steelersbabex25
10-12-2011, 06:13 PM

What's irrational is that you think the Redman wouldn't do anything to help the run game if he was worked in the right way.

PsychoWard
10-12-2011, 06:37 PM
I think redman is a way better blocker than mendy and for that reason alone he should at least be seeing more reps right now!

Big T
10-12-2011, 07:08 PM
If Mendenhall is healthy, it's not even close.

--- Added 10/12/2011 at 05:08 PM ---

I think redman is a way better blocker than mendy and for that reason alone he should at least be seeing more reps right now!

He really isn't. Mendenhall is a very good blocker.

Goodfrom55
10-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Redman is a complimentary back, great change of pace to Mendenhall. But realistically, Mendenhall will not lose his starting position here. He picks up the blitz well, is good in the passing game out of the backfield.

This will not be one of those Bam Morris steps in for Barry Foster moments, plays the season, and the Steelers let Barry Foster go. Won't happen this time. Mendy is safe, but he has to stop tip toeing so much.

PsychoWard
10-13-2011, 12:36 AM
If Mendenhall is healthy, it's not even close.

--- Added 10/12/2011 at 05:08 PM ---

He really isn't. Mendenhall is a very good blocker.

did you not notice the difference in protection last game? thats wasn't all starks! Redman was holding his own all game!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Rashard as become a much better blocker in the last year. I honestly don't have a problem with him picking up the blitz. I do think Redman does a great job at it too. Now Dwyer, he's got some work to do in that area, LOL.

In all fairness Rashard should get the chance work with a decent offensive line because it's not like he totally sucks as a running back. However, who's to say how long the Steelers offensive line will play like they did last week? If they continue to shuffle players in and out, that leans more to a style like Redman.

tburg68
10-14-2011, 03:35 PM
I honestly can't figure out the non love for Rashard. Redman's "style" may be better suited for a crappy O-Line, but he didn't gain 100 yds last week.

Mendy is the better back, and it isn't Close!

TheButt
10-15-2011, 09:17 PM
I honestly can't figure out the non love for Rashard. Redman's "style" may be better suited for a crappy O-Line, but he didn't gain 100 yds last week.

Mendy is the better back, and it isn't Close!

One thing is for sure Mendy will have a nice long career... With all the godamn falling down he does when someone breathes on him its hard to get hurt. when he does get hit its like hitting a 12 year old girl and then he falls down like a wet noodle.

Trade his *** now for an O-lineman. Pickup another back from the waiver wire to back up Redman and Dwyer... F Mendy.

connecticutsteel
10-16-2011, 10:25 AM
One thing is for sure Mendy will have a nice long career... With all the godamn falling down he does when someone breathes on him its hard to get hurt. when he does get hit its like hitting a 12 year old girl and then he falls down like a wet noodle.

Trade his *** now for an O-lineman. Pickup another back from the waiver wire to back up Redman and Dwyer... F Mendy.

really ?

tburg68
10-17-2011, 03:59 PM

^^^^^^^^^Stupid Post of the Year Award^^^^^^^^^^^^